1 small hope

  • Thread starter Thread starter Keyes
  • 43 comments
  • 2,167 views
Messages
17
One thing I hope that gt4 will do different then gt3 is that the default transmission is set to manual instead of automatic. . .

Like i said, its a small hope, but i would like to see that feature in the game, even if it doesn't matter that much. . .
 
Keyes
One thing I hope that gt4 will do different then gt3 is that the default transmission is set to manual instead of automatic. . .

Like i said, its a small hope, but i would like to see that feature in the game, even if it doesn't matter that much. . .
That will never happen. KY will definately set the default tranny to auto since some people don't know Manual (even video game manual) at all, or are too lazy to shift gears themselves.
 
Most Americans (including myself) drive auto transmission cars and when confronted with manual gears in a video game would freak out and not have a clue. I grew up driving auto trans cars, in fact I never drove and manual trans until very recently in real life. When I first started playing GT3 I started with an auto transmission, as I did for any racing/car video game. However after almost one complete play through I learned to drive with the maunal trans (and tune the car too boot), I've never gone back to auto trans since then, 2 years ago. In fact I'm looking to buy a new car in real life and will be buying a manual trans car.

Thanks GT3...hahaha!

You gotta understand though. A good 60% of video game players, ones who would play GT4 could car less about shifting themselves. They just want to play, drive fancy cars and have fun..they aren't hardcore fanboys like us on this site, we are a minority. The rest of us, the other 40% are hardcore fanboys and into cars and want all the options and tuning...for advanced or hardcore users click through a few menus isn't a huge deal.
 
Didn't it mention somewhere (or maybe it was another game) that the car you buy is the car you have, so if you buy a manual you have a manual only, if you buy an auto then... well you get the idea. :)

I can't remember where I saw this mentioned.
 
It doesn't take much time to change the option in the game from auto to manual ;)
_aj
Didn't it mention somewhere (or maybe it was another game) that the car you buy is the car you have, so if you buy a manual you have a manual only, if you buy an auto then... well you get the idea. :)

I can't remember where I saw this mentioned.

No i've also seen this on the GTP boards. I think it was just an idea or a wish that someone mentioned in one of the threads a long time ago. I don't think that will happen though.
 
_aj
Didn't it mention somewhere (or maybe it was another game) that the car you buy is the car you have, so if you buy a manual you have a manual only, if you buy an auto then... well you get the idea. :)

I can't remember where I saw this mentioned.
Someone wanted that feature, but it wont happen.

As for the tranny debate, choosing Auto doesn't necesarily make your car perform worse because of the auto tranny. It can be a manual tranny where the computer performs your manual transmission shifts for you. You can even hold off the computer's shifting if you want.
 
It's weird that I saw this today. I was at school think what if in GT4, a car would actually perform worse due to picking an auto tranny? They wouldn't do that though because it wouldn't be fare to those who cant drive the manuel but I personally wouldn't mind that. It would be more realistic.
 
I don't really don't car because all I have to do is go into settings and change it myself. I think that most people would rather race automatic in games even if they have a stick in real life, Hell I use auto every once and a while just because I don't feel like it. I don't like to do endurances for 3 hours thinking that much.
 
RacingFreak2k3
It doesn't take much time to change the option in the game from auto to manual ;)


No i've also seen this on the GTP boards. I think it was just an idea or a wish that someone mentioned in one of the threads a long time ago. I don't think that will happen though.
Yep that's where I saw it, thanks.
 
Silvia95
It's weird that I saw this today. I was at school think what if in GT4, a car would actually perform worse due to picking an auto tranny? They wouldn't do that though because it wouldn't be fare to those who cant drive the manuel but I personally wouldn't mind that. It would be more realistic.
It wouldn't perform worse, t would just allow the RPM needle from going into Redline until 5th or 6th gear. The manual allows you go farther into a gear than the auto.

And alot of car companies, espically BMW who are doing very well with this, have it like this. When you buy an automatic from them, you have the ability to start driving manually. But if you forget to shift, the car automatically shifts for you. The manual part is different b/c you can redline farther in 4th than in auto. 👍
 
McLaren F1GTR
It wouldn't perform worse, t would just allow the RPM needle from going into Redline until 5th or 6th gear. The manual allows you go farther into a gear than the auto.

And alot of car companies, espically BMW who are doing very well with this, have it like this. When you buy an automatic from them, you have the ability to start driving manually. But if you forget to shift, the car automatically shifts for you. The manual part is different b/c you can redline farther in 4th than in auto. 👍

huh?? In real life, auto cars do perform worse than standards... (granted there are a few TINY select group of cars that won't). But 99.9% of all the cars on the road that are auto WILL lose to there similar standard counterparts. It's simple, there are more moving parts which suck up power and the huge fact that there's one less gear (in 99.9% of all the autos out there).
 
I'm Manual. Through and through. Auto's are for 🤬
 
that would be interesting but not likely to happend
 
omfg... you mean if manual cars were realistically better than there auto counterparts people would heave to LEARN to use gears?! that is so...so.... THE WAY IT SHOULD BE
 
MadduckUK
omfg... you mean if manual cars were realistically better than there auto counterparts people would heave to LEARN to use gears?! that is so...so.... THE WAY IT SHOULD BE

I was replying to the guy that said autos were equal in real life. I didn't comment anything on the game. But obviously it would be better if that truth was translated to the game.
 
kensei
Most Americans (including myself) drive auto transmission cars and when confronted with manual gears in a video game would freak out and not have a clue. I grew up driving auto trans cars, in fact I never drove and manual trans until very recently in real life. When I first started playing GT3 I started with an auto transmission, as I did for any racing/car video game. However after almost one complete play through I learned to drive with the maunal trans (and tune the car too boot), I've never gone back to auto trans since then, 2 years ago. In fact I'm looking to buy a new car in real life and will be buying a manual trans car.

Thanks GT3...hahaha!

You gotta understand though. A good 60% of video game players, ones who would play GT4 could car less about shifting themselves. They just want to play, drive fancy cars and have fun..they aren't hardcore fanboys like us on this site, we are a minority. The rest of us, the other 40% are hardcore fanboys and into cars and want all the options and tuning...for advanced or hardcore users click through a few menus isn't a huge deal.

Well said Kensei, nice post. 👍 It's good to see a post that empathises with an opposing view point.

Here in the U.K most cars are manual shift, they accelarate faster, give more fun to the driver, give more control of the car, give beter economy, and are cheeper to maintain than an auto (ecconomy is imprortant due to the high fuel costs here). I've actually seen people here have difficulty driving an auto car, using their left foot for breaking when they've never done it before, lol. (I drive for Hertz part-time for a little extra cash and some fun).

I find driving a manual shift much more fun when driving a car on the limit, (never buy a second hand manual shift car off a rental company, unless you mind replacing the enging and/or gearbox). The brain is enguaged much more when driving a manual, but in heavy trafic nothing can beat an auto tranny.

I currently have a manual car, but my next car will be an auto opperated maunal,(a Smart Car, don't laugh they give 85mpg). If you are going to buy a car with a manual transmission, be aware that if you are shifting with a heavy clutch for several hours a day, you may well devellop swelling around your left knee.

In reply to the first post in this thread, I'd like to wish for the ability to chose auto or manual as default transmission when the game is first started. I'll be driving most of GT4 with the manuall shifter, but I recognise the fact that many would like to use auto most of the time.

The best sollution is to have the default sellection on transmission type available when the game is started, that way everyone only has to choose tranny type once.
 
There are some big miscomceptions in this forum right now.
In real life, automatic transmissions DO NOT perform worse than manual t's.
Yes, a torque converter does rob some HP from getting to the pavement.
But an AT eliminates driver ineptitude or mistakes in shifting as well as launching.
AT's are also much more sturdy, reliable, and consistent.
The 1 SMALL HOPE should be:
GT4 will differentiate between autos and manuals in individual cars.
i.e. -- Pick an automatic Corvette Z06 and you will drive the elec.cont. 4-speed
with a long 3.30 final drive ratio.
Pick the manual and you will drive the Getrag 6-speed with a high 3.73 or
3.90 final drive ratio.

Also, should cars be PURCHASED as an auto or a manual? In the garage as it is?
What about dual-tuning for each car (auto and manual) which would be reflected only in the Arcade Mode?
Maybe I'm the only one here who hangs out at a drag strip every week, but in real life, in the quarter mile, for most drivers an AT is the way to go the fastest.
 
This is a stupid thread. If you want to drive manual just change the settings. Most gamers don't care about shifting gears for themselves.
 
DevilGTx
The 1 SMALL HOPE should be:
GT4 will differentiate between autos and manuals in individual cars.
i.e. -- Pick an automatic Corvette Z06 and you will drive the elec.cont. 4-speed
with a long 3.30 final drive ratio.
Pick the manual and you will drive the Getrag 6-speed with a high 3.73 or
3.90 final drive ratio.
Why? It might add somewhat of a sense of realism, but why punish those of us who are too lazy to use manual? I tried using manual for a week. I got in about 20 hours of play that week in manual. I was gonna start a series race and I thought to myself, why bother? It is really annoying to have to make EVRY shift for a 10 lap race, let alone endurance races! It was just plain annoying. I didn't see any improvements in lap times with manual. Some even got worse since I concentrated too much on shifting and I was busy watching the tach.

The best solution for this would be to make give all cars the manual gearboxes. If you choose the auto setting, the little guy sitting in the drivers set will watch the Revs for you and make the shifts fro you. It's not an auto gearbox, it's a manual gearbox with a guy who shifts for you. He's got nothing better to do al day, so why not let him shift for you? Besides, in an auto gearbox, can you hold off shifts until it the revs are well into the redline? I think not. Holding R2 or L2 to hold off on shifting is like telling the little guy to venture deeper into the red. If you decide to tell the little man to take a break from shifting, you can get the full manual experience by holding L2 or R2 and releasing it to shift. 'nuff said.
 
DevilGTx
There are some big miscomceptions in this forum right now.
In real life, automatic transmissions DO NOT perform worse than manual t's.

Well I'm not an auto expert, but the figures suggest that auto's have worse fuel ecconomy than a manual. I owned a VW Passat Sport auto 175BHP auto before the car I have now and I know for a fact that the auto 0-60 time was arround 8.3 seconds but the manual 0-60 time was arround 7.5 secconds.

I realise this is only a one example of a manual performing better than an auto, but this one example conforms with my view of autos performaing worse than manuals. I'd be glad to see any figures showing autos perfoming better than manuals to prove me wrong, but I don't think they exist.
 
Rapidone
Well I'm not an auto expert, but the figures suggest that auto's have worse fuel ecconomy than a manual. I owned a VW Passat Sport auto 175BHP auto before the car I have now and I know for a fact that the auto 0-60 time was arround 8.3 seconds but the manual 0-60 time was arround 7.5 secconds.

I realise this is only a one example of a manual performing better than an auto, but this one example conforms with my view of autos performaing worse than manuals. I'd be glad to see any figures showing autos perfoming better than manuals to prove me wrong, but I don't think they exist.
Ahh, they're totally different cars! you can't compare 0-60 times on an old passat to your current car, unless they are exactly the same car, except for the gearbox. Even if they have identical power and tourque, weight plays a role, as does differences in engine management and other crucial parts of the car.

I can prove that manual is faster than auto! A manual Koenigesegg CCR has a 0-60 time of 3.2s while my Auto Olds 88 delta has a 0-60 time of about 10+ seconds. Case closed. [/sarcasm]
 
Event Horizon
Ahh, they're totally different cars! you can't compare 0-60 times on an old passat to your current car, unless they are exactly the same car, except for the gearbox. Even if they have identical power and tourque, weight plays a role, as does differences in engine management and other crucial parts of the car.

I can prove that manual is faster than auto! A manual Koenigesegg CCR has a 0-60 time of 3.2s while my Auto Olds 88 delta has a 0-60 time of about 10+ seconds. Case closed. [/sarcasm]

Perhaps I didn't explain myself very well. I mean the manual version of the car was arround 0.8 seconds faster from 0-60 than the auto version that I had.

I'll look for the offical 0-60 times if you like.
 
_aj
Didn't it mention somewhere (or maybe it was another game) that the car you buy is the car you have, so if you buy a manual you have a manual only, if you buy an auto then... well you get the idea. :)

I can't remember where I saw this mentioned.
This was a thread created by my good ole self, GT-Unit. The thread, as I rember, was called, "Auto vs. Man -- Purchasing Cars" It survived for quite a while, then died like most other threads (except for "The Color Blue--an argument", which is like 80 trillion pages long. I personally like that idea, it's great, and it provides much more strategy. I'll provide a link in a minute to the ole thread (dont post in it tho ;) )


Link: http://gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=43933
 
TriplePlay
This was a thread created by my good ole self, GT-Unit. The thread, as I rember, was called, "Auto vs. Man -- Purchasing Cars" It survived for quite a while, then died like most other threads (except for "The Color Blue--an argument", which is like 80 trillion pages long. I personally like that idea, it's great, and it provides much more strategy. I'll provide a link in a minute to the ole thread (dont post in it tho ;) )


Link: http://gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=43933
Still, if this does ever get implemented, It will put people off o the game. Many people (myself included) are lazy and don't want to make every shift in a 78 lap race in an F1 car that goes through gears like a obese fellow goes through sweatpants. Plus, what about winning cars? How would that work? and also, what if you share your game with your brother or sister, or firend or something and you drive manual, but they drive automatic? That wouldn't be fun, especially for them...
 
Event Horizon
Ahh, they're totally different cars! you can't compare 0-60 times on an old passat to your current car, unless they are exactly the same car, except for the gearbox. Even if they have identical power and tourque, weight plays a role, as does differences in engine management and other crucial parts of the car.

I can prove that manual is faster than auto! A manual Koenigesegg CCR has a 0-60 time of 3.2s while my Auto Olds 88 delta has a 0-60 time of about 10+ seconds. Case closed. [/sarcasm]


0-60 time and quater mile time

1971 Datsun 240Z (Auto) 10.4 17.6
1971 Datsun 240Z N/A 17.1

2004 Volkswagen GTI 1.8t (manual) 6.5 15.2
2004 Volkswagon GTI 1.8t (auto) 8.1, n/a

1980 Ford Pinto (4spd) 15.8 20.8
1980 Ford Pinto (Auto) 15.4 20.1

1980 BMW 733i (4spd) 8.4 16.6
1980 BMW 733i (Auto) 10.5 17.5

1997 BMW 528i (auto) 7.5 15.8
1997 BMW 528i (manual) 6.8 15.3

http://www.albeedigital.com/supercoupe/articles/0-60times.html


That's 4 to 1 where the manual is faster than the auto. Nuff said. I rest my case.
 
<response>
RapidOne :
I have also had similar experiences with my S-10. The 5-speed in my truck is much quicker than my friend's automatic. Because it is a 5-speed is directly related to the fact that my 4.10 rear-end is now broken and the truck does not move.
However, I don't see too many people racing Passats. Or S-10s. (I raced it once.)
Since the introduction of any of the LT1 powered Chevys (Vette and Camaro) in the mid 90's, Car and Driver found it impossible to beat the auto with the 6-speed in those cars.
I have seen many 6-speed C5 Corvette's lose to autos in drag racing.
Same for Camaros. Recently, at the local strip, I have seen 2 Pontiac Trans-Ams (LS1), both Ram-Air, both street-legal with valid plates, both appearing normal on the outside, with street tires on stock wheels.
6-speed = 12.56s @ 108
4spd AT = 11.75s @ 113
yes, again, they are 100% street-legal.
These cars are tuned nearly identically, since the 2 drivers are buddies.
Event Horizon (love that movie, btw) :
The game is meant to played with a manual. In PROFESSIONAL (world-class) racing you will not find a single car with a true automatic gearbox. Not one.
The fact that you do not want to make "all those shifts" for 10 laps means that I will beat you every time in YOUR car simply by shifting it myself.
But this is a video game, not real life.
Nowadays, automatic transmissions are good enough to shift faster than a human in nearly every car when pushed to maximum potential. And the torque convertor setup lasts 2-3 times longer than an average clutch and bearings especially when driven hard.
<edit> (had to go get my laundry)
In terms of speed and acceleration, in most cars the manual is faster in the hands of a pro. In terms of overall performance including durability, longevity, and ease of use, ATs are just as good. Remember, speed is only one of many aspects of performance.
 
Rapidone
0-60 time and quater mile time

1971 Datsun 240Z (Auto) 10.4 17.6
1971 Datsun 240Z N/A 17.1

2004 Volkswagen GTI 1.8t (manual) 6.5 15.2
2004 Volkswagon GTI 1.8t (auto) 8.1, n/a

1980 Ford Pinto (4spd) 15.8 20.8
1980 Ford Pinto (Auto) 15.4 20.1

1980 BMW 733i (4spd) 8.4 16.6
1980 BMW 733i (Auto) 10.5 17.5

1997 BMW 528i (auto) 7.5 15.8
1997 BMW 528i (manual) 6.8 15.3

http://www.albeedigital.com/supercoupe/articles/0-60times.html


That's 4 to 1 where the manual is faster than the auto. Nuff said. I rest my case.

I beileved you that autos were slower in acceleration than manuals because of the diferent gear ratios, I just misread your post. I know that becasue 911s are offered in both Tiptronic S trannys and Manual flavors and the Manual Tranny beats the Tiptronic by about .2 seconds.
 
DevilGTx
Event Horizon (love that movie, btw) :
The game is meant to played with a manual. In PROFESSIONAL (world-class) racing you will not find a single car with a true automatic gearbox. Not one.
The fact that you do not want to make "all those shifts" for 10 laps means that I will beat you every time in YOUR car simply by shifting it myself.
But this is a video game, not real life.
Nowadays, automatic transmissions are good enough to shift faster than a human in nearly every car when pushed to maximum potential. And the torque convertor setup lasts 2-3 times longer than an average clutch and bearings especially when driven hard.
I know that professional racing has everyone using manual. But this is a game. It is meant for people to have fun, not beating themselves up and losing a race becasue they miss a shift and get passed. I went through going from auto to manual, and I got sick of shifting every time by hitting the button. It gets repetitve and boring and distracts you from your racing line.

You probably could beat me in that 10 lap race becasue I bet you anything that you have played GT1, 2, and 3 more than me. a LOT more. It takes a while to get used to concentrating on your racing line AND shift points. If GT4 was in manual, it would put a lot of newbies off to the game.

Also, you can't get an autmatic Viper or Ford GT. If you have to choose the tranny when you purchase the cars, can you get an Auto for the car that only comes in manual?
 
Event Horizon
Still, if this does ever get implemented, It will put people off o the game. Many people (myself included) are lazy and don't want to make every shift in a 78 lap race in an F1 car that goes through gears like a obese fellow goes through sweatpants. Plus, what about winning cars? How would that work? and also, what if you share your game with your brother or sister, or firend or something and you drive manual, but they drive automatic? That wouldn't be fun, especially for them...
You could buy an automatic transmission for that car, then pay 20 cr. to say a repairman to switch it from auto tranny to manual tranny. 20 cr per switch? Not bad. Or, you could go to say a "training school" to learn to do it yourself for 5,000 cr or something. Nifty stuff, GT4 is. :muahahaha: :D
 
TriplePlay
You could buy an automatic transmission for that car, then pay 20 cr. to say a repairman to switch it from auto tranny to manual tranny. 20 cr per switch? Not bad. Or, you could go to say a "training school" to learn to do it yourself for 5,000 cr or something. Nifty stuff, GT4 is. :muahahaha: :D
*cough*GT4isnotthesims*cough* 20 credits to install completely replace the transmission? :dunce: Should be steeper than that. Or howabout this, since 20 credits is negligible, why don't they make it free and you just need to go into a menu to change it from an auto to a manual or vice versa? sounds good. 👍
 
Back