100 hours later, GTSport has become my favorite Gran Turismo.

  • Thread starter Thread starter sems4arsenal
  • 71 comments
  • 4,917 views
This is the first game that has got me fully involved in online racing and I must admit i am now fully hooked, I keep thinking i should try Project cars 2 online but just can't drag myself away from GT sport, the disc has been permanently in my PS4 for 3 months now........
 
I disagree with mostly everything you've said. After playing the closed beta & the demo, I realised that the game is so bad that I decided not to buy it. It's the first GT game I've decided not to buy. Nothing in this game is appealing to me, & all the fun online racing I had in GT5 & GT6 cannot be replicated in GT Sport.


👎
 
VBR
I disagree with mostly everything you've said. After playing the closed beta & the demo, I realised that the game is so bad that I decided not to buy it. It's the first GT game I've decided not to buy. Nothing in this game is appealing to me, & all the fun online racing I had in GT5 & GT6 cannot be replicated in GT Sport.


👎

So, how come you are hanging around on the GT Sport page on GT Planet?

Edit: hang on, you "realised the game was so bad" but you haven't actually even played it?
 
So, how come you are hanging around on the GT Sport page on GT Planet?

Edit: hang on, you "realised the game was so bad" but you haven't actually even played it?
BEWARE: you are only allowed to give your opinion about GT Sport in this thread if it is a good one.

Also, the demo gives a comprehensive vision of what the full game has to offer, so his point is valid.
 
BEWARE: you are only allowed to give your opinion about GT Sport in this thread if it is a good one.
Not at all, but I think you need to have played the game before you can describe it as "so bad".

Also, the demo gives a comprehensive V of what the full game has to offer, so his point is valid.

It can't, as you can't play Sport Mode properly which is the whole point of this title.
 
It can't, as you can't play Sport Mode properly which is the whole point of this title.
Both the beta and the demo had Sport Mode fully playable.
 
Both the beta and the demo had Sport Mode fully playable.
You don't get my point though.. the OP took 100 hours to "get into" the game. Personally, I also took a long time of dipping in and out of Sport Mode before it clicked for me.
 
So, how come you are hanging around on the GT Sport page on GT Planet?

Edit: hang on, you "realised the game was so bad" but you haven't actually even played it?

I think it's fair enough for those who don't enjoy the game to comment on why (I'm sure the new formula will turn off some people and that's within their right). Sports Mode can still be a miss some of the time, and it can get frustrating.
 
To be fair to @VBR at least he established he didn't like the game before parting with any money, I wish more people would do that.
 
You don't get my point though.. the OP took 100 hours to "get into" the game. Personally, I also took a long time of dipping in and out of Sport Mode before it clicked for me.
Well, if you need 100 hours to get into a game, there's definitely something wrong with it.

Of course, but this guy hasn't even played it
He did.
 
Well, if you need 100 hours to get into a game, there's definitely something wrong with it.
Sport Mode is a process, an education :) It's a whole different animal to previous GTs.

No, he didn't... you can't have "played" Sport Mode until you've at least experienced the different SR and DR ranks.
 
For me, there's simply no getting around the lack of content in the game. i.e, tracks and cars. It's kind of perplexing as to how a company builds a new multi-million dollar studio in Tokyo, but yet releases a game with far less content
DLC.

The modern AAA development cycle is nothing like it was 10 years ago.
You surely must have been impressed by the game's visuals?
That isn't easy.
They've clearly done a lot of work on this title, we'd still be waiting for release if you had it your way.
Of course more tracks & cars would be nice but with modern internet speeds you can continue development and content releases years after launch, so they will keep coming so long as the players remain (no season pass! xD)

Well, if you need 100 hours to get into a game, there's definitely something wrong with it.
Chess.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Both the beta and the demo had Sport Mode fully playable.

The beta was far from what we got on release, the physics/handling felt poorer, frame rate was awful in many places and many other things were incomplete. After that beta I was all but out of buying it. Then the demo came along and was a lot better, but it wasn't until day 3 and players started balancing out did it all come together for me. When it did, in terms of competitiveness, it was by far the best online racing experience I have had, and I've raced them all.

I have not really raced since before the Monza patch as I'm playing other games in other genres with my mates, but the two or three times I have jumped on it's instant, close competitive racing with people at my level. Being an online player, I can't ask for much more than that.
 
Agree completely. They only need to do something about ofroad racing so it feels and looks like it.
 
Sport Mode is a process, an education :) It's a whole different animal to previous GTs.
And it's working really well, given that 76% of players haven't even started Sport Mode :lol:

Project CARS 2.
That's why I don't know anyone who plays Chess regularly.

The beta was far from what we got on release, the physics/handling felt poorer, frame rate was awful in many places and many other things were incomplete. After that beta I was all but out of buying it. Then the demo came along and was a lot better, but it wasn't until day 3 and players started balancing out did it all come together for me. When it did, in terms of competitiveness, it was by far the best online racing experience I have had, and I've raced them all.

I have not really raced since before the Monza patch as I'm playing other games in other genres with my mates, but the two or three times I have jumped on it's instant, close competitive racing with people at my level. Being an online player, I can't ask for much more than that.
So you do agree that the demo gave you a comprehensive vision of what Sport Mode has to offer, different from @Robben's statement?
 
And it's working really well, given that 76% of players haven't even started Sport Mode :lol:

Their loss :)

So you do agree that the demo gave you a comprehensive vision of what Sport Mode has to offer, different from @Robben's statement?
No. He said "Then the demo came along and was a lot better, but it wasn't until day 3 and players started balancing out did it all come together for me."
 
Sport Mode is a process, an education :) It's a whole different animal to previous GTs.

Still, the suggestion here, while not explicit, is that someone needs to put in 100 hours before they can form a valid opinion of a game, right?

Does that apply to all games, or just GT Sport?

No, he didn't... you can't have "played" Sport Mode until you've at least experienced the different SR and DR ranks.

Which was possible in both the demo and beta.

It's not terribly surprising that someone wouldn't connect with Sport mode. It's not for everyone, as the PSN trophy percentage suggests.
 
Still, the suggestion here, while not explicit, is that someone needs to put in 100 hours before they can form a valid opinion of a game, right?
Not at all... but to form a judgment of a game before it is complete or even released is just silly.
 
Not at all... but to form a judgment of a game before it is complete or even released is just silly.
The demo was essentially the full game, with a handful of features blocked off. Sport Mode has not drastically changed since then; the schedule, the BoP, and the penalty system have, but the gist (online competition via player buckets) is the same.

I don't really see what the alternative is here. Had someone bought the full game and then said it wasn't for them, there'd be cries of "do your homework before you buy" (as has happened plenty of times in the past). The solution is trying a demo... which was available.

GT Sport isn't for everyone, and that's fine. It's true of every other racing game out there as well.
 
The demo was essentially the full game, with a handful of features blocked off. Sport Mode has not drastically changed since then; the schedule, the BoP, and the penalty system have, but the gist (online competition via player buckets) is the same.

I don't really see what the alternative is here. Had someone bought the full game and then said it wasn't for them, there'd be cries of "do your homework before you buy" (as has happened plenty of times in the past). The solution is trying a demo... which was available.

GT Sport isn't for everyone, and that's fine. It's true of every other racing game out there as well.

I completely agree, but I don't know why the poster above feels the need to comment on a thread about how the OP likes GT Sport, on the GT Sport forum, on GT Planet to tell everyone he didn't like the demo so didn't buy it. Seems strange.
 
Their loss :)
Given that they made the whole game around that concept and people are not playing it, it's PD's loss.

Doesn't make the game bad though, does it.
No, but it does make it unpopular, which is bad for a Gran Turismo.

I completely agree, but I don't know why the poster above feels the need to comment on a thread about how the OP likes GT Sport, on the GT Sport forum, on GT Planet to tell everyone he didn't like the demo so didn't buy it. Seems strange.
WARNING: you can only say good things about GT Sport in this thread, even though the OP asked whether people agreed with him or not.
 
I completely agree, but I don't know why the poster above feels the need to comment on a thread about how the OP likes GT Sport, on the GT Sport forum, on GT Planet to tell everyone he didn't like the demo so didn't buy it. Seems strange.

You need to decide what your issue is here. Up page, you said this:

Of course, but this guy hasn't even played it

In response to the OP not only liking the post in question, but responding saying he finds it fair if not everybody clicks with Sport mode.

The thread is on a discussion forum. People are discussing an aspect of the game. That will involve different opinions.

Oddly enough, the OP included taking another game to task for a feature that isn't even in the game, but barely anybody mentions that...

I see both sides. There's been stretches where nothing in Sport Mode interests me, so I simply don't play. On the other hand, yesterday's one-make Cayman race saw me putting in six or seven races in a row. Currently — and more so as the car/track roster expands — I think the three race limit needs to be expanded. Five or so would be much better in my mind, to appeal to a wider audience.
 
No, but it does make it unpopular, which is bad for a Gran Turismo.

Unpopular ? Some people (always the same ones, coming over and over) may complain on Facebook PD/GT accounts or forums, which is what happens when "fans" feels they've been betrayed (same stuff for star wars movies). The GT license took a turn, so no surprise.

Last saturday night, I turned on the TV on C8 (one of the mainstream generalist TV channels, not a videogame one), and they were broadcasting a GT Sport competition. So it seems to me that the game is quite popular, first time I see a GT franchise on the TV !
 
Last edited:
Wasn’t going to buy this game at all as soon as I heard it wasn’t a full GT as such. Tried the demo and instantly hooked played it everyday almost since release!!

Could it do with more tracks yes, but personally like the fact we havent got too many as it’s given me chance to properly practice them rather than being overwhelmed. Don’t miss the GT elements of the game, barely touched GT league as it’s far too easy and just not fun IMO.

Sport mode on the other hand is great, first proper online racing really for me and loving it!
 
You need to decide what your issue is here. Up page, you said this:



In response to the OP not only liking the post in question, but responding saying he finds it fair if not everybody clicks with Sport mode.

The thread is on a discussion forum. People are discussing an aspect of the game. That will involve different opinions.

Oddly enough, the OP included taking another game to task for a feature that isn't even in the game, but barely anybody mentions that...

I see both sides. There's been stretches where nothing in Sport Mode interests me, so I simply don't play. On the other hand, yesterday's one-make Cayman race saw me putting in six or seven races in a row. Currently — and more so as the car/track roster expands — I think the three race limit needs to be expanded. Five or so would be much better in my mind, to appeal to a wider audience.

He's not really given it a chance though... was my point. As well as finding it strange that, given how he decided the game wasn't good enough, he then decided to come onto the forum dedicated to the game that he decided he didn't like. Bit odd is all...

I understand if people don't like Sport Mode, that's fine... it can be frustrating at times...

Just look at the changing opinion over time by reading Amazon reviews - it's a grower.
 
Unpopular ? Some people (always the same ones, coming over and over) may complain on Facebook PD/GT accounts or forums, which is what happens when "fans" feels they've been betrayed (same stuff for star wars movies). The GT license took a turn, so no surprise.

Last saturday night, I turned on the TV on C8 (one of the mainstream generalist TV channels, not a videogame one), and they were broadcasting a GT Sport competition. So it seems to me that the game is quite popular, first time I see a GT franchise on the TV !
I didn't say GT Sport is unpopular, I said Sport Mode is. Gran Turismo will always be popular regardless of PD's decisions, but time is giving proof that Sport Mode was a bad decision, since less than 10% of the player base has really got into it. What will it mean to the future of the franchise, nobody knows.
 
He's not really given it a chance though... was my point.

He has. He just didn't come to the conclusion you'd prefer.

Have you put in the arbitrary amount of hours with every other racing game out there to determine if they're for you or not?

As well as finding it strange that, given how he decided the game wasn't good enough, he then decided to come onto the forum dedicated to the game that he decided he didn't like. Bit odd is all...

You're still bouncing back and forth between "needs to put in time" and "strange he's around these parts", despite agreeing with previous posts on both of those things being acceptable.

It's not really strange. People can be a fan of a series but not the most recent installment. And that's ignoring that GTPlanet covers a variety of games (and automotive news too).

Just look at the changing opinion over time by reading Amazon reviews - it's a grower.

That I agree with.
 
I didn't say GT Sport is unpopular, I said Sport Mode is. Gran Turismo will always be popular regardless of PD's decisions, but time is giving proof that Sport Mode was a bad decision, since less than 10% of the player base has really got into it. What will it mean to the future of the franchise, nobody knows.
Ok I understand. The number of people playing sport mode is indeed very low, don't know why, maybe penalties problems & raming in low SR classes. To my taste, after the first online races, playing vs AI now seems a bit tasteless (I still like time trial, driving school, etc...).
 
Back