• Thread starter orubasarot
  • 115 comments
That above movie is from GTR Evolution right? I have the game and I think it's absolutely brilliant in terms of simulation. The graphics are only so-so, but the physics are top-notch. Sounds are way better than GT5P. It's pretty hardcore, but it does feature an arcade mode (which is what they show in movies I think). If Race Pro (which should be basically the same game) is anything like this, it's going to be very good! I really hope this one will make it to the PS3 eventually. :)

Still, I prefer GT5P for now, the whole package is what does it for me.

And I don't think you can judge a game from a grainy youtube video, you'd have to play both games for a certain amount of time before being able to judge them.

Personally, I'd wish we had more choice on the PS3. I would love to see games like GTR-E or Race Pro on the PS3. Some form of competition for GT5 would make it even better. :)

Last edited:
I would prefer GTR-EVO, I was amazed how much more sense of speed it has and how much more alive it feels then GT5, gt5 just feels dull...

not to mention that GTR-evo is a whole game and has so much more features that make a sim great...

GT5 has great graphics and physics but it just lacks balls..

again, GTR-evo is about racing, GT5 about driving....

That above movie is from GTR Evolution right? I have the game and I think it's absolutely brilliant in terms of simulation. The graphics are only so-so, but the physics are top-notch. Sounds are way better than GT5P. It's pretty hardcore, but it does feature an arcade mode (which is what they show in movies I think). If Race Pro (which should be basically the same game) is anything like this, it's going to be very good! I really hope this one will make it to the PS3 eventually. :)

Still, I prefer GT5P for now, the whole package is what does it for me.

And I don't think you can judge a game from a grainy youtube video, you'd have to play both games for a certain amount of time before being able to judge them.

Personally, I'd wish we had more choice on the PS3. I would love to see games like GTR-E or Race Pro on the PS3. Some form of competition for GT5 would make it even better. :)

Well I did play RACE 07, GTR2, which basically is the same thing.
I do not know why everyone says SOUND is better, sure it has more sound things then GT5P, but it is not as HIGH and crisp as GT5P.
You do have a sense of speed with that R8 GTR EVO video, but have you driven 100 MPH on a track... you don't feel the speed. In Gran Turismo 5P, I alwyas HAD better feedback with the cars then GTR2, rFactor, etc. Seems GT5 is more solid. When I go mid turn in GTR2 I just can not feel over steer with cars like the F430 when I let go of the throttle because I am coming in the corner relay fast. In Gran Turismo, Good example is the F430 in HSP On the first Major Turn. When I go too fast, I let go of the throttle so that wind can slow me down, I turn at the same time, and the car tends to fish tail, overseer, and to fix this oversteer I just applie bit of pressure to GAS pedal to give it more power and straight out the car. In GTR2 I never had the need to do so. I play both games with a wheel G25. But I still love both, BUT GT5P is a win for me. And it's only a Prologue not even a full game ;).

Pros and cons for Console racing vs PC sim racing.

PC sim racing games
PROS
(+) More cars on the track
(+) Weather effects
(+) day and night cycles
(+) DAMAGE
CONS
(-) No HIGH DEF sound, no crispiness (Yes I do have a 5.1 for my PC setup, all HIGH options) Everyone says it feels more alive, I can go to the movies and watch a Action movie, then go to the shooting range and say MOVIES felt more alive.
(-) Graphics are not as good (even when I swich to 16 cars on track in rFactor/GTR2 I sometimes experience Slowdown, even tho Graphics are not as good as GT5P and lower resolution)
(-) There are no PC sim games with street cars, all you can do is mods. BUT, GTR-Evo now has few street legal cars, but they are using RACE not driving engine so it does not work right.

(+) and (-) are the TRACK design.
I say this because some games use laser most games don't. Sure some tracks do look good with out laser scan, but there are many that are way off. The budget is just not there in doing research on tracks

(+) and (-) Physics
It has RACE car physics. No one drives a race car, so no one knows how it is to be in one.

**That is all I can think for PC sim games on PROS-n-CONS
I will not mention Online play since GT5P is not a full game yet and does not have Private racing

GT5P
PROS
(+) Graphics. Sure it is not important, but it is because I like to know what I am driving. ;). With 16 cars on a track, I have less Frame rate drop then my Powerful PC with 16 cars on track.
(+) Yes sound. Since GT5P already have an update For sure they will constantly make it improve for race cars. It is also HIGH DEF (5.1 setup)
(+) Physics for the street cars feel more alive, more feel to cars, and I think best sim to mimic real car's behavior.
(+) Tracks, I think GT5P
(+) Tracks, I think one of the best JOBS ever done in Sim games. There are articles that real life Race car drivers PRACTICE on these tracks and always say to be very accurate. I think PD uses Laser scan, but at the same time I am not sure. Either way they do a wonderful job in this department.
(+) Sense of speed. Yes I said it. Everyone say's this game has LOW LOW sense of speed. I say it is done well. Going 150 MPH feels just like going 70 MPH in real life. GTR2, rFacotr, over does the sensation, car SHAKES wayy too much with street cars. In GT5P It has better sensation, and with sports cars, going 150 MPH, car's can hangle those speeds in the game and you experiance what a F430, or the Vette would really feel like at 150mph. There are no blurs and only thing that makes sense of speed is Gforce while accelerating. Since Game's can not add G-Force to you're body we can't truly have sense of speed.
(-) No Damage In Prologue, maybe in full GT5 we will see it
(-) No weather effects
(-) No Day and Nigh cycles

(+) and (-)
It is a Prologue, so it is not a full game, even tho for a SUPER CHARGED DEMO, this is a great and fun game.
PD is a great sim, but to be a true sim it is really missing the damage, weather, and Day and Nigh cycle.
That Is all I could think of for GT5P

For me GT5P is winner, it has better car feel, physics, and more potential for FULL GT5 game and beyond.

Last edited:
So in the other thread, I made a question.. Is Gran Turismo Laser scanning some or all tracks?
This game is iRacing, they are using LASER SCAN technique to capture best realism of each circuit, race track etc.. so far iRacing has ultimate realistic race tracks because we know they laser scan them.. but is GT using laser scan on all or some tracks?

And GT... Pause un-pause each video so one another can catch up..

I am impressed with GT5 version, GT even had LIGHT POSTS on the HUGE turns while laser scanned iRacing did not. I can see each turn is almost perfectly made and if not perfect to iRacing. There is this one TURN.. On that straight, in the PC game he exits it fast while in GT we need to take the 2nd exit.. if you know what I am talking about.. other then taht, spacing seems perfect and as well other landmarks etc..
but question is, is it laser scanned? What you guys think?

Last edited:
First of all, I am only commenting my experience in terms of simulating standard road cars. Never driven any race car on slicks so I can't really give any comment on it. So, for standard car sim experience, either PC or console, one need at least G25 equivalent or better. Otherwise it would not become a sim, simply because less than 900 degrees lock to lock would be unrealistic for a standard production car. That's why I think any xbox game should be out of question in terms of simulation..sorry..:ill:

I have and played iracing, lfs, rfactor and gt5 P. I really enjoy driving stock cars in these simulation because this is the closest way I can compare and improve with my stock car in real life tracks. Obviously because stock cars behave more on weight transfer it can be felt easily in these sims in terms of oversteer and understeer.

I am no race driver but I really enjoy spirited driving in real life. I would say that I am more of an oversteer person. Thus I concentrate my driving on getting the most of that oversteer feeling whenever possible. So base on that experience, of all the standard cars in those games, I think most of these sims are fairly accurate except rfactor(basic with no mods). I agree with this is being said many times in the previous posts.

In comparison without rfactor, iracing feels less accurate than the other because the oversteer steering input is just incorrect. I might be the only one who is not keen to iracing here although I pay for it every month:scared:. The only standard car, Pontiac Solstice feels awkward. It won't countersteer automatically past zero degree and that is not true for a modern car with normal rack & pinion power steering. But, I don't disagree that other physical aspect in iracing is just bang on. If they corrected the countersteer properly it would be very good, no doubt.

On that note, overall physics wise, I still prefer LFS and GT5P. But for me GT5P is clearly a winner simply because in Pro physics it feels very close to what I feel near the limit of real life experience. The only thing a lot of us tend to forget is the steering angle setting. I think it is very important because it affects the input drastically, thus making the car behaves differently and over sensitive. The standard setting of 40 degrees is too much and too sensitive for G25 in GT5P. You need to adjust the steering angle base on its production value, mostly 30-35 degrees and the simulation will become spot on. And don't use more than N3 tyres simply because S and R tyres will simulate race cars behaviour.

Just my 2 cents..:)

I totally agree with NoxNoctis Umbra in post #94! But there are still much improvement left to be done in GT.

The engine sounds are great, but it needs some shifting noise as the Audi R8 in GTR EVO, and the tire sound is still not good.

Then they should allow you to switch on/off the head lights (for endurance racing if they include day/night cycle), working wipers (If weather cycle is included) and working indicators (good if you're at Nürburgring, a faster car comes up behind you and you want to let him know on wich side he can pass you).

A system some of the PC sims seem to have is that you are always in control of the car. In the pit/garage areas, during the rolling start, under caution and so on. This would be nice to have in GT5 as well.

And then of course damage, limited fuel, tire marks and such. In other words all the things that happens to a car in real life.

wnffe nicely said!

And Patric, I agree 98% on what you wrote. I think we do not need Turning signals. And we do not need manual Pit lane to change tires. Because IDK I'm just a rookie at this in PC racing games LOL, but I manage.
But I would love to see FREE run in GT5. Practice mode.
No time trial, no racing, no time attack, etc...
I would Love to see other cars ( That I choose) on the track with me. Just like in rFactor. Start the car from the pits. and just Practice with other drivers. That what I would love to see.

But I would love to see FREE run in GT5. Practice mode.
Online you mean? That would be excellent. I'm usually around tuning cars and it would be nice to drive it online (e.g. against other cars) to see how it holds up without actually being in a race. :)

Online you mean? That would be excellent. I'm usually around tuning cars and it would be nice to drive it online (e.g. against other cars) to see how it holds up without actually being in a race. :)

I think he means a free run where you can do whatever you want (offline), right now we need to use Time Trials but then we are ranked (when we dont want to be) and we can't run custom setups, other option is Online free run but then we need to find a event on the track and correct cars we want.

Personally I like to test cars on the track I want privately, I don't want to see the tops times, I want to see what it can do.

Personally I like to test cars on the track I want privately, I don't want to see the tops times, I want to see what it can do.
That I want too, but I also want to take it online, especially since physics are different. I want to see how it handles during a race with random weight shifting when you have to brake for or evade other drivers. But I don't want to screw up somebody's race with my test runs. But I do want to test it in a 'live' situation. :)

For me GT5P is winner, it has better car feel, physics, and more potential for FULL GT5 game and beyond.

This is just hypocritical. You said yourself none of us know what a race car feels like to be in, yet you then claim GT5:P has the better physics & feel. If none of us has driven a race car, how can you claim GT5:P represents its physics better than GTR2, which it doesn't from my time spent in both.

Then you used the F430. GTR2's F430s are mod-created. I've read the owner of ACEMCO's Saleen S7R go as far to say GTR2 has done an amazing job recreating the S7R. We've also had a GT3 RSR driver on RSC come to the same conclusion.

And what's with listing tracks twice as a pro for GT5:P? BTW, if GT5:P is making 150Mph feel like doing 70Mph, that is a bad thing. I've done close to a 150Mph. It feels nothing like doing 70Mph. Not even doing a 100Mph feels like doing 70Mph. There's a much greater sense of speed and force being put on the body from those speeds. GT5:P should be making 150Mph feel like a 150Mph in real life.

I've seen your posts before on the comparing of GT5:P to other sims, and I think you give GT5:P way too much credit.

Last edited:
I can do one better compare PC sims, Forza 2 and GT5P ;).

As for PC sims there is a difference here... It´s PC sims meaning several sims all with their own feel compared to GT5P that is rumoured to be a sim in professional mode and Forza 2 on the 360.

Maybe I am harsh but I don´t think GT 5 Prologue qualifies as a simulation. Where is the suspension modelling? There is no roll in high speed corners after a jump well even GRID have more realistic suspension modelling... Tire modelling seem extremely basic is it even possible to overheat tires or wear them down? Feels like I got equal grip no matter how hard I am on them. Also I run in professional mode, disable traction control and all aids but still I can find GT5P giving me red bars on the throttle when being in the gravel or during downshifts. Sometimes just for the sake of it??? Maybe this is a bug.

If there is one thing that sums up GT5P is sterile and soulless... Tracks aren´t clean like this where is the dirt? It´s striking that you aren´t even laying down rubber on the track because the track modellers don´t want dirt on their tracks... I get the feeling that polyphony is 95 % modellers and more like to watch racing then actually drive the cars.

I may be overly negative but I mean it doesn´t have much more then beatiful car models, cockpits etc. But if everything feels dead and disconnected that doesn´t help much as a game.

Forza 2 is so much better in every regard except for the cockpit and wheel support. I was dead certain I would like GT 5P more because of this but no I rather run GRID or Wipeout HD on the PS 3 then this. Sold my 360 for a PS 3 so quite disappointed finding out Forza 2 was so much better. These career driven titles don´t exist on the PC.

As for PC sims there is a difference here... It´s PC sims meaning several sims all with their own feel compared to GT5P that is rumoured to be a sim in professional mode and Forza 2 on the 360.

Maybe I am harsh but I don´t think GT 5 Prologue qualifies as a simulation. Where is the suspension modelling? There is no roll in high speed corners after a jump well even GRID have more realistic suspension modelling... Tire modelling seem extremely basic is it even possible to overheat tires or wear them down? Feels like I got equal grip no matter how hard I am on them. Also I run in professional mode, disable traction control and all aids but still I can find GT5P giving me red bars on the throttle when being in the gravel or during downshifts. Sometimes just for the sake of it??? Maybe this is a bug.

If there is one thing that sums up GT5P is sterile and soulless... Tracks aren´t clean like this where is the dirt? It´s striking that you aren´t even laying down rubber on the track because the track modellers don´t want dirt on their tracks... I get the feeling that polyphony is 95 % modellers and more like to watch racing then actually drive the cars.

I may be overly negative but I mean it doesn´t have much more then beatiful car models, cockpits etc. But if everything feels dead and disconnected that doesn´t help much as a game.

Forza 2 is so much better in every regard except for the cockpit and wheel support. I was dead certain I would like GT 5P more because of this but no I rather run GRID or Wipeout HD on the PS 3 then this. Sold my 360 for a PS 3 so quite disappointed finding out Forza 2 was so much better. These career driven titles don´t exist on the PC.

Too bad I won't be seeing you online then..

Maybe you're right in observation but you're missing the part that acknowledge that Prologue (hence the name) is not a complete GT5. Even Yamauchi-san admits it's not good enough to be GT5 (I direct you to this insightful interview)
I love GRID but to me, it's very much an arcade game and even to my naive observation, it's like comparing apples to oranges. Forza 2 on the other hand is a complete game but I find the the physics is more akin to that of the old GT4 than GT5P and the crappy steering wheel doesnt help matter. It's fun but it's hardly challenging although the tire skids almost make it a keeper. In the end we have to admit it's a matter of preference and what's on top of your list of priority and the stuff that appeals to you are more than likely different from mine. I love the sterile look of GT: it reminds me of the work of photogrpaher Stephen Shore (Not his American Surfaces but Uncommon Places) where a photo of pristine landscape or a even room could be elevated into hyper-realistic. That's what I get when I'm in Prologue. And I'm sure that it's intentional because we know to Yamauchi-san, the Car itself, takes the centrestage.

Reventón;3175520
And what's with listing tracks twice as a pro for GT5:P? BTW, if GT5:P is making 150Mph feel like doing 70Mph, that is a bad thing. I've done close to a 150Mph. It feels nothing like doing 70Mph. Not even doing a 100Mph feels like doing 70Mph. There's a much greater sense of speed and force being put on the body from those speeds. GT5:P should be making 150Mph feel like a 150Mph in real life.

I've seen your posts before on the comparing of GT5:P to other sims, and I think you give GT5:P way too much credit.

I play PC sim games, and I really have no feedback as good as GT5P offers in the wheel, and if I know car will slide or not. PC is more bland, but then again we are talking about few year older Games here...
I was close to 150mph as well.. When you go 10 miles and hour and 100 miles an hour, stedly there are no forces in you're body, its low of physics ;) constant velocity.
Unless you start to brake.
Besides GT5P has really good sense of speed. Maybe change camera while driving, or LOOK left or right, you'll be amazed.
Next time you are on the HIGH way, going 70mph, look at some light posts and see how LONG it takes to reach it and pass them. Then in GT5P go 70mph on Dayton lats say, look left right, see a light post and see how long it takes you to reach it and pass it..

And yes I am giving all the credit and props to GT5P because it is first console game to define and deleting line from PC sim racing games and consoles.

Last edited:
Apples to oranges but since GT 5P isn´t a simulation for me I have to drive it as an arcade title to enjoy it. It gets into the same pocket as arcade games being everything from wipeout to GT 5P... I know it´s not GT 5 but I am sure you will get a taste of it by this. Obviously on the wrong track. I would rather have imperfect car modelling and that they focused on the basics first...

I have driven GT 4 a bit and for me GT 5P feels a more like it then Forza 2 totally different feel to me. Main difference is the suspension modelling and that I actually can feel the rubber and the grip from the tires in forza 2 not having to listen to tire sounds as much since I get more visual cues what is going on.

As for force feedback I don´t get much but then the fanatec 911 wheel doesn´t have it´s own profile. I do hope they improve on that I can hardly even feel the cerbs... In all PC sims profile or not it has much better force feedback though. Don´t own a G25 anymore so I can compare :(

But well Forza 2 was the first sim for me... Okay I am being a bit nice here the non linear steering and the impossible angles you could save slides on is results from gamepad optimized steering but the actual cars behaved very well overall. However Race PRO if Simbin is keeping their promise wil be just as hardcore as their PC racing sims. Well they are not totally hardcore since you of course can enable aids if you want to :)

Blimey also have some games in the pipeline but I don´t know what they aim for with those...

Last edited:
And yes I am giving all the credit and props to GT5P because it is first console game to define and deleting line from PC sim racing games and consoles.

Not. Even. Close. 355 Challenge's original version pretty much did this, and that game still feels more realistic than GT5:P in certain aspects.

Apples to oranges but since GT 5P isn´t a simulation for me I have to drive it as an arcade title to enjoy it. It gets into the same pocket as arcade games being everything from wipeout to GT 5P... I know it´s not GT 5 but I am sure you will get a taste of it by this. Obviously on the wrong track. I would rather have imperfect car modelling and that they focused on the basics first...

I have driven GT 4 a bit and for me GT 5P feels a more like it then Forza 2 totally different feel to me. Main difference is the suspension modelling and that I actually can feel the rubber and the grip from the tires in forza 2 not having to listen to tire sounds as much since I get more visual cues what is going on.

As for force feedback I don´t get much but then the fanatec 911 wheel doesn´t have it´s own profile. I do hope they improve on that I can hardly even feel the cerbs... In all PC sims profile or not it has much better force feedback though. Don´t own a G25 anymore so I can compare :(

But well Forza 2 was the first sim for me... Okay I am being a bit nice here the non linear steering and the impossible angles you could save slides on is results from gamepad optimized steering but the actual cars behaved very well overall. However Race PRO if Simbin is keeping their promise wil be just as hardcore as their PC racing sims. Well they are not totally hardcore since you of course can enable aids if you want to :)

Blimey also have some games in the pipeline but I don´t know what they aim for with those...

To me Forza 2 is more arcade than simulation- yeah you can auction your car off but that hardly makes it simulating. But seriously, being an owner of a Honda NSX, I can never quite simulate the feel of actually driving the real thing in Forza 2. The car always feel rather sluggish whereas the real one is quite spritely. While the steering isn't quite as lively as a Porsche but when I do get a chance to drive it fast (at my local track, Mosport racetrack ), I'm always amazed by how mechanical it feels (despite being electronic). In this sense GT5P captures that sensation quite succinctly (the G25 helps tremedously). So call it what you may, but to me it is as close to a simulation as I can get (without having to buy into PC gaming since I only run a mac laptop).

First of all, GT5P is very good driving game, best from those what any console can offer just now. And the fact that i can use my G25 with it is a big plus.

But, it simply cannot compare to PC's sims, at least not now. GTR2/rFactor/RACE'07+GTR Evo+STCC/LFS/RBR etc. etc, i have all sims and i have drove those sims for an ages.

Ie. in rFactor best mods are simply great(i have around >100mods in my rF-installs), and GTR2 is already impressive its own, but it has many superb quality mods nowadays too. And you can't beat RBR when talkin' 'bout the best rally simulation.

In pc-sims you have so much more possibilities to adjust and finetune everything, from controls to detailed car setups.

On console-side, it's nice to see that SimBin will release GTR for XO too, sadly MS's idiotic decision to not allow proper wheels to work with Xbox is very bad thing for that title.

Raikku but that ban is lifted and there is great wheels I duck now better then G25 on it´s way to it ;)

Makes it frustrating to have jumped ship because of the poor wheel support. But then it´s not practical or cheap to own two more or less identical wheels. Anyway simracing doesn´t fall on how accurate forza 3 and GT 5 is in the end we have Race PRO which I am certain will be on an entirely new level and the blimey games that I also hope they don´t consolidate to much. Also it hasn´t happened that much on the PC side last years either- iRacing is the last with a new engine which probably has the best physics but can´t run it because it has the crappiest business model ever.

About fine tuning controls yes please let us adjust steering lock, rotation of the wheel, adjust the force feedback more to our liking etc etc. But this is kind of against the console philosophy I guess.

And you can't beat RBR when talkin' 'bout the best rally simulation.

I'd actually like to point out, RBR was first released on PS2, nearly identical to the PC version.

What I can say about the subject, two of the Nissans in the game are very much like the real ones.

Last edited:
Raikku but that ban is lifted and there is great wheels I duck now better then G25 on it´s way to it ;)

Makes it frustrating to have jumped ship because of the poor wheel support. But then it´s not practical or cheap to own two more or less identical wheels. Anyway simracing doesn´t fall on how accurate forza 3 and GT 5 is in the end we have Race PRO which I am certain will be on an entirely new level and the blimey games that I also hope they don´t consolidate to much. Also it hasn´t happened that much on the PC side last years either- iRacing is the last with a new engine which probably has the best physics but can´t run it because it has the crappiest business model ever.

About fine tuning controls yes please let us adjust steering lock, rotation of the wheel, adjust the force feedback more to our liking etc etc. But this is kind of against the console philosophy I guess.

The problem with most Simbin games especially Race 07 and the like is that you're driving racing cars that has little or no resemblence to most road cars- so while the physics may be fantastic, to me it's mere speculation. And I seriously doubt you'll be able to use G25 with the 360 and besides at E3 when Race Pro was first shown, there was no wheel to be seen. I'm quite sure that Race Pro similar to Forza 2 is optimized for the 360 controller.

myke no not the G25 but the 360 dedicated porsche 911 wheel :). I suspect we can forget G25 or Fanatec 911 PC/PS3 wheel compability :(. Race PRO already have or will have the fanatec wheel as well. It´s not like they have to put in any more work to have proper wheel support in Race PRO. In fact they have already implemented better gamepad support in their Race 07 titles.

Back