'11 Hyundai sonata goes turbo 274 hp 269 ftq

Messages
2,980
United States
Greensboro/NC/U
Messages
jarod336/GTP_torque
Messages
Paperorplastic/ manherollen
yep that's right, Hyundai brought out the big guns,

2011 Hyundai sonata GDI 2.0liter 4 pot, with a new twin scroll inter cooled turbo charger(basically the same turbo system in the BMW 1 series.)

Bumps power from 200 to 274 and that's on regular gas.

Full story here.

Ever since Hyundai announced at the Los Angeles Auto Show that it would add a turbocharged variant to its all-four-cylinder lineup in the new Sonata, there has been considerable speculation about how much power the engine would produce. The first time we saw a turbocharged direct injection engine in a car from the Hyundai corporate family was the 2008 Kia Koup concept that produced 290 horsepower. This same engine now powers the Sonata to the tune of 274 horsepower and 269 pound-feet of torque.

Like GTDI engines from Ford and the Volkswagen Group this new turbo Theta II engine has a broad, flat torque curve with the peak being sustained between 1,800 and 4,500 rpm. Hyundai is using a twin-scroll turbocharger like the one used by BMW in its latest engines (see: 2011 535i). The exhaust flow from the pairs of cylinders is fed into the turbine by separate paths to insure optimum response. The turbo housing is an integral casting with the exhaust manifold to provide short exhaust flows to the turbine.

Hyundai's engine uses a comparatively low 9.5:1 compression ratio compared to some other GTDI engines, but the maximum boost is 17.4 psi. The turbo engine is only offered with a six-speed automatic transmission with paddle shifters on the steering wheel.

Particularly impressive is the fuel efficiency of this combination. Hyundai is estimating 22 mpg city and 34 mpg highway – just a tick less than the non-turbo models on the highway and significantly better than any of the V6 powered competitors. The turbo engine will be available on both the SE and Limited trim levels.

*UPDATE: Live photos added from New York
**UPDATE 2: CEO Krafcik says Turbo will come in at "less than $25,000 nicely equipped."




Pics here.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/03/31/2011-hyundai-sonata-turbo-new-york-2010/
 
Last edited:
The apostraphe goes on the other side of the 11. It should look like this:

'11

11' means 11-foot. I thought I was in for a different thread altogether.
 
Good lord that's just awsome. I wonder what it is going to sound like? Probably something like...

pssssssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh *churp* <-- as you shift to a new gear and the wheels spin on the pavement.

:lol:
 
Only with aftermarket BOV.
 
It looks like an elephant sat on the bonnet., with all those downwards-sloping creases.... :irked:
 
GDI? Sounds like a diesel model.
Why call it that?

JCE
Good lord that's just awsome. I wonder what it is going to sound like? Probably something like...

pssssssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh *churp* <-- as you shift to a new gear and the wheels spin on the pavement.

:lol:

The car will only be an automatic. Hyundai has no FWD manual trans that can handle the TQ.
 
It looks like an elephant sat on the bonnet., with all those downwards-sloping creases.... :irked:

It looks more like a wannabe Mercedes and a 5-Series Beamer.👎
 
Lets say it looks like a BMercedexus IS-5 Series which was crushed by an elephant.
 
It looks more like a wannabe Mercedes and a 5-Series Beamer.👎
that is the first time i ever seen any one say this car looks like anything... astonishingly even reading the comments on autoblog...



Yet when people see this car in real life...their mouths drop, another case n point of " pictures don't do justice"

in real with SE trim in black this thing is damn sexy.
 
GDI? Sounds like a diesel model.
Why call it that?

Because like most modern diesels (CRDI), the "DI" part stands for "direct injection" (as stated) and the technology is similar. It's DI that allows manufacturers to produce modern diesels with similar power and performance to gasoline engines while meeting fuel economy and emissions targets (and not spewing clouds of black smoke like some do...)

The car will only be an automatic. Hyundai has no FWD manual trans that can handle the TQ.

I wonder where they got the tranny?
 
that is the first time i ever seen any one say this car looks like anything... astonishingly even reading the comments on autoblog...



Yet when people see this car in real life...their mouths drop, another case n point of " pictures don't do justice"

in real with SE trim in black this thing is damn sexy.

I wouldn't exactly call it sexy, but it looks a lot better IRL. I would do a lot to the design to make it look better, if I could. At least it's better than Camry.

edit:

I wonder where they got the tranny?

It's Hyundai's brand new in-house design. Hopefully it doesn't suck like all of their previous ones and their Aisen ones. They say it's lighter and more efficient, and has the fewest parts of any 6 speed on the market. Hopefully it's just as durable and reliable too. I think it should be OK though because they had to have designed the tranny with the turbo engines in mind.
 
Last edited:
So...what market is this aimed at exactly? 300hp FWD boat isn't a common criteria, it would seem.
 
Last edited:
It was already being discussed here: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=124946&page=4



Gasoline Direct Injection. That's about as straightforward as you can get.

I'm used to DI being used in diesel cars, who else uses DI directly in the name of a none diesel?
Now who else uses DI in their diesel vehicles? Or should I say who doesn't. THat's all I was saying.

I wonder where they got the tranny?

The auto is an in house trans. Wouldn't surprise me if it was from the same folks that supply transmissions to nissan, used the same 6spd manual internals in the past.
Why did you cross out the manual part, exactly?
 
Because the manual tranny in the Gen Coupe can handle it. But it's RWD and also a POS.

Also, DI means diesel injection, yes, but a lot of companies use it now to mean Direct Injection/Injected.
 
Old Hyundai trannies = fail. But I'm still waiting to see how the current generation stuff in the newer Sonatas will hold out.
 
Sounds nice but the car should have a more sporty look!💡 Looks like a mix of some cars of the same segment market... needs a bit of salt;)!
 
Feels like an ES meet the Genesis in a random event. Its not a bad look, just a bit bleh at the moment. Still, the numbers aren't bad and the price seems promising, so I can see this selling fairly well.
 
It is selling well, actually. They ran out of cars in March. I think the reason it looks so bleh online is because all the shots are from low positions.

Maybe because I'm taller it makes the car look good in person.
 
So...what market is this aimed at exactly? 300hp FWD boat isn't a common criteria, it would seem.

Um...V6 midsizes? Kinda the EcoBoost concept, here, only without the "I'm saving the world" name.
 
Because the manual tranny in the Gen Coupe can handle it. But it's RWD and also a POS.

Also, DI means diesel injection, yes, but a lot of companies use it now to mean Direct Injection/Injected.

Yeah, that's why I specifically said FWD. They do have a rwd trans that can handle something like 275wtq, haven't looked what the exact numbers are.
 
Bumps power from 200 to 274 and that's on regular gas.

Regular gas being premium or 87 octane stuff? GTDI technology has come a long way in 5 years of they can run these things on 87 octane now.

JCE
Good lord that's just awsome. I wonder what it is going to sound like? Probably something like...

pssssssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh *churp* <-- as you shift to a new gear and the wheels spin on the pavement.

With my experience, it's more of a sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss. The GTI's turbo isn't that loud. I donno if they'd make it that loud on a Sonata.
 
I was highly disappointed in how quiet a 2004 STi's turbo/BOV is...I've been spoiled by my friend's SRT4 with a modded wastegate.
 
On many modern cars, you can't even tell the car is turbocharged from listening to them.

And thanks to twin-scroll designs and VGTs, you can't tell from the way they go, either. Many have a very linear powerband.
 
Regular gas being premium or 87 octane stuff? GTDI technology has come a long way in 5 years of they can run these things on 87 octane now.

Yep. 87. That was a surprise for me too. I wonder if 87 would knock in this Florida heat though. I would assume not since they test over in the desert.
 
Well they just confirmed pricing for the turbo today. Indeed, the sporty trim is under $25k. Limited trim is about $27k. They go on sale at the end of the year.
 
I want a Sonata.
It might be weird to offer FWD Turbo 4's, but when it's actually supposed to be a sportish mid-size sedan, then something makes me want it. And don't say it looks bad, my bus route runs past one evryday, and it looks at least more sexy from a window...I should stop here.
 
Looks impressive to me, I like it. 👍
 
Great!

But you cannot outrun ugly. The front is absolutely horrific and the amount of chrome on the bonnet needs to go.
 
Great!

But you cannot outrun ugly. The front is absolutely horrific and the amount of chrome on the bonnet needs to go.

Not really. It's really grown on me, especially in person. I think it's the best-looking midsize bread-and-butter sedan on the market. I thought it looked awkward and ugly until I saw it in person.

That said, the grill on the front is going to be a darker chrome apparently. Maybe it'll have a look similar to this:

10f6wav.jpg
 
Back