$1500+ needed for a next gen console

• Thread starter ctdc67
  • 46 comments
$1500+ is nothing. Approximately $200,000+ was needed for GT6, because if you wanted to enjoy all of its features you had to buy a Nissan GT-R with NissanConnect NISMO Plus.

... then of course there's the house to keep it in, that's going to be the same again at least.

They really to start putting warnings on adverts for consoles so more people are aware.

Superior tech just at a lower resolution

I have to say, I much prefer playing the PS2 on it than on the 55".

Not always true. My £500/$700 TV has HDR10, Dolby Vision, Dolby Atmos capability, 4k etc. And has Hue ambilight being a Philips.

I've got the same, a Philips TV from that price range with all of those features. I've been pretty blown away by the picture quality for the price, especially when running Dolby Vision compatible footage! I thought I might find the Ambilight a bit of a gimmick but it's odd watching a TV without it now.

Last edited:
I've got the same, a Philips TV from that price range with all of those features. I've been pretty blown away by the picture quality for the price, especially when running Dolby Vision compatible footage! I thought I might find the Ambilight a bit of a gimmick but it's odd watching a TV without it now.

I thought exactly the same with a ambilight. It’s become a key part of my movie experience and is really great in most games. I’ve got some hue light bars in the living room for nice evening ambiance but they can also be synced to the TV ambilight and that is really something amazing.

I thought exactly the same with a ambilight. It’s become a key part of my movie experience and is really great in most games. I’ve got some hue light bars in the living room for nice evening ambiance but they can also be synced to the TV ambilight and that is really something amazing.

My wife has been considering this setup too. We have Ambilight bulbs in most rooms but they're white only so we can't use those but a light bar or some other form of LED light synced up to the TV would be perfect behind the AV cabinet.

Everyone can tell me that they are more than happy with their TV'S. But statistically speaking your TV performance doesn't match the Xsx performance and the Xss would of been adequate for that TV.
By this logic, if you have a 1080p TV, there is no reason to have ever upgraded from a PS3, XB360, or Wii U, because they are adequate to display 1080p. One would be best off with the Wii U, because it actually offers greater than just 1080p -- it offers 1080p plus an extra 480p out of the box. :) Gotta have as many pixels as possible.

I have to say, I much prefer playing the PS2 on it than on the 55".
Instantaneous video with virtually no latency whatsoever -- now that's what I call performance!

My wife has been considering this setup too. We have Ambilight bulbs in most rooms but they're white only so we can't use those but a light bar or some other form of LED light synced up to the TV would be perfect behind the AV cabinet.

Highly recommended the light bars. Not just for the TV sync but for general ambiance, we use them more than a normal lights now.

You can see here the right side lightbar on the fireplace synced to the TV. There's another one on the shelves to the left as well. The TV settings with Hue allow you to choose where they are in relation to ambilight to get the correct colours to them. The Hue bulb we have in our lamp in the corner behind the sofa is also a full colour one and is set to match the top middle section of Ambilight to create an almost 'overhead' feel to the lighting. Particularly cool with racing games as it really comes comes life when you fly through a tunnel or something.
SmartSelect_20210316-222009_Photos.jpg

Highly recommended the light bars. Not just for the TV sync but for general ambiance, we use them more than a normal lights now.

You can see here the right side lightbar on the fireplace synced to the TV. There's another one on the shelves to the left as well. The TV settings with Hue allow you to choose where they are in relation to ambilight to get the correct colours to them. The Hue bulb we have in our lamp in the corner behind the sofa is also a full colour one and is set to match the top middle section of Ambilight to create an almost 'overhead' feel to the lighting. Particularly cool with racing games as it really comes comes life when you fly through a tunnel or something.
View attachment 998317
Tch, more hidden costs. Thanks Sony/Microsoft.

Our TV is mounted on a chimney breast and the edges already fling light into the far corners of the room due to the placement so I don't think we'd need anything to the left and right but behind the sofa isn't a bad shout as we have a fair bit of space behind it and I've been considering adding a cabinet to hold our gaming stuff behind there anyway. I definitely want to add a light from below, is it possible to add that to the system? Our TV only has the top and sides built in.

There is no need for a new 4k TV. I have one but I'm not going to use it to play GT7. I want a PSVR2 instead.

Last edited:
Is a TCL TV dependable. They have a very good deal highish end 65" TV for $950.
I've been using a 55" 4k HDR TCL for about 2-3 years now with no hiccups, it was $650 when I bought it. I really don't plan on upgrading that anytime soon as it's working great. In fact, I might just keep it and start gaming on a monitor instead.

Last edited:
For those of you in the UK, Samsung's 2020 models are on clearance sale right now so you can get a TV with VRR, ALLM, 120Hz 4K and HDR starting at £1k. I myself just bought a QE65Q95T, which was last year's flagship 4K, for £1,400. Considering the equivalent 2021 model is £3k I'm pretty happy with that.

They do only have one HDMI 2.1 port though, but you need to spend a lot more to get more than one and I figured it's not really worth it.

Looking into many TVs, I've noticed that midlevel TV's are not going to be enough for the XboxsX. They just don't support all of attributes of the next gen. Some have Hdmi 2.1, but don't do the full 4k 120fps or if they do it, it's without Dolbyvision or don't have VRR....... I don't trust OLED because I use it as a PC screen and my kid's share the TV and pause it for long periods. I am thinking 2022 is when the LEDs will catch up to the next gen consoles.

Back