1990-2001 Lamborghini Diablo

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
United States
Wasilla, AK
1990-2001 Lamborghini Diablo nominated by SVT Cobra GT

Early_Lamborghini_Diablo_in_red.jpg

800px-DIABLO_VT_ROADSTER_1999.jpg

(Post-facelift roadster provided for completeness)

Production: 1990-2001
Style: 2-door coupe
Engine: 348 ci/5.7 L naturally aspirated V12 (rated 492 HP & 428 lb-ft in 1990-1998 base, 1993-1998 VT, and 1995-1998 VT Roadster trims, 510 HP & 428 lb-ft in 1995-1998 SV trim, 523 HP & 428 lb-ft in SE30 trim, 592 HP & 446 lb-ft in 1998-1999 SV, 1998-2000 VT, and 1998-2000 VT Roadster trims, and 595 HP & 471 lb-ft in SE30 Jota trim), 366 ci /6.0 L naturally aspirated V12 (rated 550 HP & 457 lb-ft in VT 6.0 trim and 575 HP & 465 lb-ft in GT trim)
Transmission: 5-speed manual
Layout: Mid-engine, rear- or all-wheel-drive​

Solid cool.

2nd-last time Lamborghini ever had an original idea, and it looks and sounds awesome. (Even if later models did have headlights from a 300ZX.)

Edit:

@:52

There's that too.
Watching the whole thing is recommended though, due to vast amounts of awesome.

Last edited:
Sub zero. One of the coolest (not best) looking Lamborghinis there is.

Also, don't forget to edit, the thread title. I think you forgot to put the cool wall stuff in.

Sub-Zero. As a 90s boy this was the poster up on my wall (along with the Viper GTS), and it absolutely made my year back in 97 when as a young lad I got to sit in a VT at the Adelaide IMS.

Certainly one of the most badass-looking Lamborghinis.

This was one of those cars that when I first saw it as a kid my only reaction was 'wow!'
I remember going up to Gateshead with my dad for a few days and there was a purple SE30 model parked outside a hotel so we pulled over and I had a photo next to it. I've loved it ever since. I think this would have more presence than a Murcielago or an Aventador in a crowd. Plus if I ever drove one now I'd have to check if my will is up to date. This should be in the ice box.

Serious pain to live with.
Difficult to drive.
Tricky on the limit.

Sub Zero. Last of the proper old school Lambos.

I used to love this thing when I used to play this

NFS_III_Hot_Pursuit_%28PC%2C_US%29_cover_art.jpg

Or this
256px-NFS_High_Stakes_box.jpg

It was so long ago I can't really remeber

But I used to love that Diablo..was very hard to drive in the game I seem to remember:lol:

Not in your face? Have you seen one in person? They command attention. Aside from hideous interiors in early models, I think they are my favorite Lamborghinis ever. Especially the 6.0...

diablo_6.0_img01.jpg

Mmmmmmm

And for purposes of nostalgia:

The Hot Pursuit 2 video had me grinning from ear to ear. Haven't seen it for nearly a decade and it's still awesome :)

As for the Diablo, while the Murcielago and Saleen S7 were my personal poster cars, the Diablo was my first 1/18 size die cast model. I've still got it, I can still remember carefully wheeling it around the lounge room floor and the car it's based on is still as awe inspiring as ever. Sub zero just isn't enough for what will always be my dream car, so I hope it makes the icebox.

Sub zero. Hands down.

I like a lot of cars, but the Diablo is defenitely among my favorites. I especially like the Diablo GTR.

Lamborghini-Diablo-GT-R.jpg-

Extremely cool, but I still like the Countach more. Sadly, the Diablo doesn't quite make it into sub-zero territory for me... way cooler than anything that came after it, however.

As much as it pains me to call any V12 Italian supercar uncool (or worse) You really are going to look like a complete bell-end driving one around.

Just try and imagine the sort of person who owns a Diablo, then try and picture if they're cool or not. They're not. Therefore uncool.

Uncool.

You have to go several generations back in Lamborghini's timeline before you find ones which don't make you look like a bit of a bell-end (edit: I didn't even see Cracker's post before using that term either...).

Even in car-enthusiast terms, more recent Lamborghinis are a bit too "look at me guys! Please! This way! Here, look!" for my taste. Great cars, but automotive attention-seeking - a Paris Hilton sex tape in a world of art house cinema.

I used to love this thing when I used to play this

*Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit*

Or this

*Need for Speed High Stakes*

It was so long ago I can't really remeber

But I used to love that Diablo..was very hard to drive in the game I seem to remember:lol:

Seemed pretty clumsy in High Stakes. Fast, but understeered pretty badly.

The worst part, though, is tht none of the Diablo SV's best color schemes (white w/ black, red w/ black, and blue w/ black) were available in Hot Pursuit 2010 or Most Wanted 2012. They were replaced by white w/ red, plain red, and blue w/ red in HP if I remember correctly, and yellow w/ black was the only factory paint available in MW.

That's the other thing I don't like is how forgotten this car has become. Forza and (as DLC) NFS have featured the SV a couple times recently, Forza might have the Diablo GTR, but other than that, no one seems to care about this still-fast car. GT got Lamborghini for the first time in GT5, and only did the most mainstream Lamborghinis plus a prototype from Pebble Beach.

Unfortunately, the same thing seems to be happening to the Murcielago (see: MW2012 again, with no trace of the Murcielago, SV or otherwise, anywhere).

Sub zero. This car is one of the cars that made Lamborghini a real Lamborghini. This is a car kids put on their wall and stare at for hours. This is one of the highlights of the car world. No doubt in my minds one of the coolest cars in automobile history for sure.

Certainly one of my poster cars in the 90s. Not overly fond of the facelifted models, but I admired the original enough to make it one of my favourite Lambos.

I have a Maisto scale model of one of these in yellow back from my kiddy days. I was in love with this vehicle. Sub-zero.

I had half a dozen Maisto models in yellow the last time I checked. Similar case with the Porsche 959. :D

Cool, I don't like the car that much especially the rear but it stands out enough to wonder what it is.

My favorite Lamborghini, hands down. Especially the SV model (the last rear-wheel drive model if memory serves).

Awesome styling, a V10 sound to die for, and will certainly catch your attention in a positive way.

Sub-Zero

EDIT: Pardon me, V12 sound. Not V10.

Last edited:
Not in your face? Have you seen one in person? They command attention. Aside from hideous interiors in early models, I think they are my favorite Lamborghinis ever. Especially the 6.0...
By in-your-face I meant the styling. It's simple. In your face is this:
lamborghini-veneno-geneva.jpg

and this:
hd_lamborghini_aventador-wide.jpg

(although the Aventador is a beautiful car.)

Back