1999 Dodge Viper GTS-R GT2 build and base tune (2002 Dodge Viper GTS used for base car) 700pp & 800pp

United States
Fresno, CA, USA
SnakeEyes427
20230418_163421.jpg

(Warning ⚠️ this car will kill you! ☠️ It is a true Viper race car in it's character!)

The build. Cost apx. $600k However, it is a fairly good Swiss army knife for any 700 or 800pp race that does not require a "racecar".

First you will want a new 2002 Viper. Than in Tuning Shop you will want to do all the engine upgrades in order from club racing to extreme. I did not do up bore or stroke as in '99 it was a 8.0L engine used. Don't forget the intake and exhaust bits in full race trim. Remember the power restriction just to have that option. Next is the weight. Again in order. Buy the Ballast just in case. Now the chassis bracing. I used the fully adjustable manual transmission (the loss of pp will not effect it). Racing clutch & flywheel, fully adjustable LSD, Carbon brakes with racing pads and, Brake controller.

Now go over to GT Auto and fit roll cage 3.

Go back to tune shop and install the fully adjustable suspension. This is so the weight of the car is right when the game gives the base tune.

Back over to GT Auto where you I put on the style you want. Do not buy any aero bits or anything right now. The style you pick will have them. I made that mistake and spent money i did not need to. I am running a wide car. (Picture of who's below for credit and to find easy in the 25 pages of Styles) Once all that is fitted, you can install the wide rims on wide setting.
20230418_160350.jpg

If you choose not the run the wide car, the Style can be found for normal body as well. I have a few different Styles saved and shared in my GT7 profile.

(1)Base tune for 800p done at Spa with a controller. I want to emphasize this a base tune! I just built the car and still have bugs to work out. I have yet to win the 1 hr of Spa with the car. Mostly me not the car. It handles okay where it is with weak abs and tc @1. It still bits if you hit the throttle to hard.
20230418_162636.jpg
20230418_162815.jpg

Transmission is a Tremec T-56. Stock for that year Viper and what the racecar had. (Part #TUET1806) I'm using a 3.07 stock final drive. Other Mopar factory final drives include: 3.23-3.55-3.73-3.90-4.10 & 4.56.
Real world aftermarket final gears
B-Body gearsets
20230418_162711.jpg

Finished you can run any tire you would like and it will stay under 800PP. In the dry I like to mix RM on the front and RS in the rear. If you are running a long dry race where you will stop for tires, experiment with what works best for you.

I will update this as I get a better understanding of what the car wants.

Enjoy 😉 Don't die! ☠️

(2) Update:
My new tune with a wheel. After 5 hours of being bit, I ran out of anti venom 😵
20230420_230345.jpg
20230420_230409.jpg
20230420_230446.jpg

Top speed of this tune: 215 mph @6100 in 5th gear. (On flat ground w/o draft)

I had to cheat a little and call a friend to make me a set of 2.93 rear end gears from a B-Body Mopar to fit her for Spa. Without the brain power to use a manual transmission it was the only way to keep her in a straight line in the rain. If you can rub enough brain cells together for shifting, keep her out of 1st coming out of the real sharp corners.

Do not think about changing your fuel map or looking at the weather report anywhere near a bend! She will kill you! This gives you new out look on how important a pit crew is. You will wish you had one at Spa.

On the other hand, if you drive her nice and smooth she will out run any GT3 car on the track. In the dry at least.

Overdrive her and heat up the tires and you will die! 😵

Wet or dry you must PAY your attention bill fully before turning the key. I hope your life insurance policy is up to date. 😅 And stay off the paint or you will die! ☠️

(3) For 700pp Le Mans Race:
20230423_130113.jpg
20230423_130207.jpg
20230423_130144.jpg

Top speed of this tune: 203 mph @6000 rpm in 5th gear. (Flat ground w/o draft)

Running Fuel Map 1. They pit at the same time as you.

* (Post 1.32 update on tune. Sway bars front and rear at 6. Differential set 8/20/11. This calms it down a good amount) *

Just don't forget to fuel. 🤣 Still got 3rd.

For 800pp Le Mans 5 lap Race use tune (2) with a change of the final drive gear to 3.07. Run Race Med tires. Speeds of 200+ will be happening with this car! Break early or die! You will only get two laps out of a tank of fuel. I don't care what you do with the fuel map. That means you will have to stop twice. These are fuel only stops. Make sure it is full. First pit will be end lap 1. This puts you in the same window as the GT-R and other Viper. Second pit will be at the end of lap 3. Your friends the GT-R and Viper will be with you. Cleanly pass but ignore the rest of the cars. Just be ahead of the Viper by the end. You can draft those other cars to save a bit of fuel, just don't forget to break early if you do. Keep clean and use this as a guide and you will pass this race without to much trouble.

(Top speed @ 800pp with 3.07 final drive gear: 215 mph @6450 rpm in 5th gear (Flat ground w/o draft) So, your just working it harder with the 3.07s at 621 hp. If top speed is all you are after.)

I also made two build videos. Sorry there are split up. I got ahead of myself in the first take.

Take two also has run video at Le Mans

Real Viper GTS-R Chassis #s/know history

What the Stig has to say. @Chikane_GTR for the video.

Last edited:
Jesus what a car its been a while since I driven a car so alive in gt7. :bowdown:

I use TCS 3 but I moved to 1 and wow it will bite you if your not careful on the gas coming out of a turn but that's more then fine its a snake after all.:D

Then you have the engine sound you wasn't kidding about the sound amazing I took it to the track to do a few laps 2 or 3 and I ended up doing 15 laps.

I highly recommended this build.

Here is my tune for my.
Gran Turismo® 7_20230419082605.jpg
Gran Turismo® 7_20230419082623.jpg

Last edited:
Jesus what a car its been a while since I driven a car so alive in gt7. :bowdown:

I use TCS 3 but I moved to 1 and wow it will bite you if your not careful on the gas coming out of a turn but that's more then fine its a snake after all.:D

Then you have the engine sound you wasn't kidding about the sound amazing I took it to the track to do a few laps 2 or 3 and I ended up doing 15 laps.

I highly recommended this build.

Here is my tune for my.
View attachment 1249156View attachment 1249157
You must follow all the rules of pet snake ownership with her. Treat her nice. Less you make one tiny mistake and she will bite you! This one is very lively!

I will try your tune as well just to see the difference if anything.
Thank you for sharing it 😊

Last edited:
First post has been updated with a tune for the 700p 30 mins of Le Mans as well as detailed build & tune videos. So you can get those transmission gears set right. 😉 There is a run video from Le Mans showing that you don't need a fancy wheel or perfect driving skills to win with this car at Le Mans.

Top speed of each tune and stock gearing at 621 hp now posted.

Last edited:
20230423_231429.jpg

One of those is not like the others. 🧐

I will have to have a talk with quality control about this.

All 4 same building, settings and, tires. I looked three times.

Found it! Someone put the full racing transmission in it. They have been dealt with according 😉

Last edited:
Back