200 Degree Steering Lock on the DFGT

• Thread starter machscnel
  • 44 comments
GTP_machschnel
Just went to buy the DFGT and found out that on GT5P it will not lock at 200 degrees. This is a problem for me because I tend to avoid normal cars, instead using more race orientated vehicles.
At first I thought it was a Logitech problem, but after reading a few forums and playing games like GRID, I now konw it is a GT5 problem. Logitech implemented the 200 degree lock but Polyphony hasn't.

My question is, has Polyphony announced that they will release a patch or something that will allows to lock the DFGT at 200 degrees? I can't see why not considering the Hardware is capable.

Last edited:
I guess you will have to wait for FULL game.

GT4 had option on DFP wheel to change from 900 - 200 degrees ( i dont know exact degrees)

I think GT5 full game will come out with new GT-G25 wheel that should do the same.

Thanks mate, that sounds pretty likely. I was just surprised the game the wheel was made for didn't support all it's features, all be it a Prologue.

I hope for the new GT-G25 too. It's been rumoring for long time now.. I think PD mention this too.. but that's before GT-DFP.. but GT-DFP is made for Prologue.. they were talking about Clutch and FULL game ;)

So far there hasn't been any news on a patch. As of now only a few PS3 games support this feature (Midnight Club defaults at 200 degrees). PC users on the other hand can pretty much lock the wheel any degree they want, providing they have the right software/drivers. I don't think it's too much to ask for a simple way to lock the wheel to 900 or 200.

I was also hoping for this feature in GT5, as a quick way to get some of my friends drifting/racing. Alas, it looks likely that you'll have to wait for the full game for such a feature.

PD, listen up. It would be wise to implement this feature in the full game. It will make a lot of people really happy, and open up the game even more for casual players.

;)

Dirt also supports the DFGT at 200 degrees. I will be retiring my DFGT in 20days since I have been a good boy this year and santa is bringing me a G25.

Or PD can go a step further and allow change of a vechiles steering ratio. If it's built into the game then you will have even more control as you can set the ratio to something that you a comfortable with, for a given car. Many cars IRL have smaller turn ratios, I think the Subaru WRX has a 1.8 or something like that turns to lock. Not sure why this was included as part of stand alone game. Heck many everyday cars come with adjustable camber and toe, soo weird that PD doesn't give you the car in exactly that way.

From the looks of the on-screen action, the wheel doesn't seem to go over 270.

I think Ferrari Challenge locks it, too. It's a shame sometimes in GT5P, because I always seem to go over the limit on slow turns like on Eiger and some on Suzuka.

the annoying thing is the VR driver only turns through 200' anyways..!!

Being able to specify your own level of lock is something im hoping for too..just another to add to a pretty long list.

*think ill just spec up my PC an stick with Rfactor..lol*

Yeah........i haven't used the steering wheels before and have only played GT4 which was great, but not realistic enough to warrant buying a wheel.

GT5 on the other hand looks almost real!!! I also wondered if the steering wheel on screen can be changed from 200 to 900 degrees and back again? This is because obviously driving the normal cars with the logitech g25 and getting the full 900 degrees on the user wheel is great, however if on screen it remains at 200 all the time (even with normal untuned cars) it will feel out of sync and to me is a real put off. In terms of visuals this game is the most real I have seen and missing out a small detail like this which enhances the realism would put me off getting the game.

As in the past the GT games have always been phenominal but then after a while some of the small details really get on your nerves. A good example would be the views on GT4. There was no hood view as if driving the car (as in Forza (by the way i prefer GT))......only an above view and an inside view without being able to see any of the car itself. I like to see what i'm driving.

Yeah........i haven't used the steering wheels before and have only played GT4 which was great, but not realistic enough to warrant buying a wheel.

GT5 on the other hand looks almost real!!! I also wondered if the steering wheel on screen can be changed from 200 to 900 degrees and back again? This is because obviously driving the normal cars with the logitech g25 and getting the full 900 degrees on the user wheel is great, however if on screen it remains at 200 all the time (even with normal untuned cars) it will feel out of sync and to me is a real put off. In terms of visuals this game is the most real I have seen and missing out a small detail like this which enhances the realism would put me off getting the game.

As in the past the GT games have always been phenominal but then after a while some of the small details really get on your nerves. A good example would be the views on GT4. There was no hood view as if driving the car (as in Forza (by the way i prefer GT))......only an above view and an inside view without being able to see any of the car itself. I like to see what i'm driving.

Speculation is that GT5 will support 200 and 900 degree settings for wheel users, but at current GT5P does not.

The GT-25 rumor was proven fake months ago. If you look at the pictures, then you see a G25 with a 't' in its name. So guys don't get your hopes up for a new wheel.

Agreed ! :-)
The game and with it the fantastic cockpit view totally flashed me when I got it new (still does actually), but I too was disappointed about the 200 odd degrees displayed on the cockpit view cam. I asked myself why the heck I spend the extra cash for 900 degree steering!? With a bit of finger stretching though (going on outside view, then rear view and turning the physical wheel fully) I then discovered that the wheels on the car do indeed turn analog to the 900 deg. you feed into your steering wheel (didn't own the F1 yet back then, that car makes the visual test a lot easier of course). The out of sync feel annoid me a bit as well, but I got used to it, it's only an issue on Eiger anyway.
Long story short: I've seen videos of GT5P where the pilot actually does cross-overs his hands in tight turns. Looked a bit hectic but will surely be a feature in some update or the final game.

I totally agree with the pilot's 200 degree wheel being a bit off-putting (I actually thought that when I got a 900 degree wheel, the in-game wheel would turn 900 degrees). And it would be really nice if we could lock to 200-degree steering, specially on cars that have it in reall life, like the F2007. Driving that thing with a FF wheel is a thrill (specially on the straights!), but it is kinda tough in places with lots of difficult and sequential turns.

I'd like it even more if we had the option to 200-degree lock our Logitech wheels via the hardware. Take GT5P, for example; it supports both 900 degree and 200 degree wheels, but it has no option to switch between the two on wheels that support both (software side). So, hardware lock the wheel to 200 degrees and there you have it. I recon that'd be sweet.

Last edited:
Has anyone tried the DFGT with Gran Turismo 3 (PS2 or PS3)? I am wondering if the wheel locks to 200 mode in GT3. I have played GT4 and since the game supports full 900 degrees, it will not lock to 200.

;)

...And it would be really nice if we could lock to 200-degree steering, specially on cars that have it in reall life, like the F2007.

I think there is much more than 200-degrees in Formulas. I cant imagine any race-car which would use 200-degree from right limits, to left limits. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4G1bkNFvnYk

They maybe dont need mostly steer much more than that 200, but I think most of race-cars still have more possibility there remaining if needed... (but I aint expert in this kind of things)

Thank you.

Looks like GT3 supports 200 degrees by default, so unless you have a DFP, it's 200 degrees or nothing.

Personally, I'm quite pleased at this, as most of my friends can't handle 900 degrees. Yet, they always want to sit in the Ol' cockpit and have a race. This will allow them to be involved sans swearing and tantrums.

;)

Thank you.

Looks like GT3 supports 200 degrees by default, so unless you have a DFP, it's 200 degrees or nothing.

Personally, I'm quite pleased at this, as most of my friends can't handle 900 degrees. Yet, they always want to sit in the Ol' cockpit and have a race. This will allow them to be involved sans swearing and tantrums.

Hmm, I guess that link isn't as clear as I thought, but it's all there. Both the DFGT and DFP can lock to 200-degree steering, so you're not limited to only using the DFP in GT3.

GT3 is listed under: "PlayStation 2 driving games supporting the force feedback of the Logitech G25, Driving Force GT, and Driving Force Wireless wheels:" It's implicit that the game doesn't support 900-degree steering (because it's not mentioned in the header), but it does support 200.

And Autoaki, I don't know what I was thinking when I posted that... I didn't mean to say that F1 cars had 200-degree turning wheels (and yet I did, *sigh*). I guess I wanted to say that a 200-degree wheel lock on these kind of cars would be more realistic than forcing us to use 900-degree steering.

I guess I wanted to say that a 200-degree wheel lock on these kind of cars would be more realistic than forcing us to use 900-degree steering.

I see you have DFP, so try that 200-degree. You can change to that by pressing some buttons same time.(I dont remember them now...I'll search them from somewhere later. They were Select+R1+R3 or something like that)

You will find out it's way too less steering area in use. 900-degrees is only 'two and half' rounds, so it really is much more closer to compared to real cars with most cars included in GT5P.

Edit:

Quoted from gamespot forums:

"I don't have a Driving Force GT, but here's what one does on the Driving Force Pro to change the settings:

Select + R3 + Right Paddle Shift: 900° to 200° (and vice versa)
Select + R3 + Left Paddle Shift: FFB from 60% to 100% (and vice versa)"

Last edited:
You will find out it's way too less steering area in use. 900-degrees is only 'two and half' rounds, so it really is much more closer to compared to real cars with most cars included in GT5P.

Hmm, I really suck at explaining myself. I guess all I said was in regards to the Formula 1. By the way, thanks for that 200-degree lock information! My DFP's documentation only mentioned the FF button combination, but I didn't know you could force the wheel to lock at 200 degree, thanks!

I tried the F1 with 200-degree steering for three laps and it feels a lot different... In that specific car, I think I 200-degree steering feels right. The thing is, when you drive the F1 with 900-degree steering, you'll notice you'll have to steer the wheel -a lot- and way too fast, considering the acceleration of the car (specially noticeable in chicanes and hairpins), so I think 200-degree for the F1 feels more natural (The FF is way stronger, too).

When it comes to the rest of the cars, I love 900-degree steering.

Hmm, I really suck at explaining myself. I guess all I said was in regards to the Formula 1.

Heh... dont mind. I suck in understanding what people mean in English very often. Glad that we even have one language what we can use to communicate, even it causes misunderstandings sometimes. 👍

I tried the F1 with 200-degree steering for three laps and it feels a lot different... In that specific car, I think I 200-degree steering feels right. The thing is, when you drive the F1 with 900-degree steering, you'll notice you'll have to steer the wheel -a lot- and way too fast, considering the acceleration of the car (specially noticeable in chicanes and hairpins), so I think 200-degree for the F1 feels more natural (The FF is way stronger, too).

When it comes to the rest of the cars, I love 900-degree steering.

Yep... in that F1 it may be more realistic than 900. I havent tried that car, so I cant say. I wish there would be way to decide by yourself what degrees you would like to use. Something like 540-degrees could be most best for F1-type of cars.

Hmm, I guess that link isn't as clear as I thought, but it's all there. Both the DFGT and DFP can lock to 200-degree steering, so you're not limited to only using the DFP in GT3.

??? I don't think you understood my post.

What I'm saying is in GT4 you cannot Lock the steering to 200, unless you have a DFP (DFP's have a lock function). DFGT's do not. With a DFGT, You are stuck with whatever mode the game utilizes (unless you're on a PC), so with GT4, you are stuck with 900 degrees. With GT3, it defaults to 200 (with the DFGT). The only way to get full 900 degrees with GT3 is to have a DFP, which can be made to utilize 900 degrees within said game (which you have posted).

So, to sum up. The DFGT can only be locked to 200 if the console game supports a default 200 degree mode, unless you're on a PC where this can be adjusted. There is no way to change the steering ratio of the wheel within a console game.

Oh, and 200 degrees is much closer to a real F1 steering setup than something like 540 degrees. Watch an in cockpit view of an F1 driver around a tight course and you'll see just how little they need to steer. In fact, most cars do not even have 900 degrees. Someone on this site did some maths and came up with how to change your settings in game (GT5P I believe) to get closer to the real steering ratio. For example, a Honda NSX has around 730 degrees lock to lock (or very close to that number). It would be a nice addition to the GT5 settings menu to have a simple adjustment/calibration for this.

I may pick up a DFP just so I can lock the steering for F1 cars and the like (in GT4). Not to mention my friends will be able to play, without all the shouting and swearing. 900 degrees is too much for your average non-sim loving gamer.

;)

I didn't even know you could hardware-lock the DFP to 200 degrees until yesterday... so I'm probably not the best person to be giving wheel advice, Delphic. =p

Polyphony need to bring out a download patch for this. I got a g25 today and as already mentioned, when driving the F2007 you still have to turn the wheel 2.5 turns lock to lock whereas in an f1 car the lock is roughly 1.2-1.4 lock to lock (As i see it in the f1 onboard shots) . It does make it difficult to get the required lock on tight bends.

For any roadcar though it is awesome.

i used to have a dfp until it broke and i bought a gt, and i can tell you that from midnight club, i can say that with the gt, having 200 degrees is a lot more fun. i know that isnt very relevant to the locking topic, but i thought i should just mention it.

Polyphony need to bring out a download patch for this. I got a g25 today and as already mentioned, when driving the F2007 you still have to turn the wheel 2.5 turns lock to lock whereas in an f1 car the lock is roughly 1.2-1.4 lock to lock (As i see it in the f1 onboard shots) . It does make it difficult to get the required lock on tight bends.

For any roadcar though it is awesome.

Probably not going to happen. However, the entire Fanatec Porsche wheel range can be hardware locked to 3 or 4 different settings (i.e. 210, 360, 540, 900). Also, the "eventually" to come new Logitech wheel (G27) should have a lock function in order to compete with the Fanatec range.

;)

I think it would be nice to have a "simulation" setting for this in the full game, i.e. the wheel locks at the degree at which the car also does in reality. What do you guys think about this idea?

I think it'd be nice to have more than just 900 and 200. Should have options like 900 (street cars) and 360, 450 and 540 (many race cars). F1 cars have way more than 200 degrees... I count about 540 in this vid (look at 0:23)...

The only cars that have 200 are things like FSAE autocross cars. These sorts of cars:

Even those many would be more than 200 degrees.

wolfracer: Finaly someone who understand that 200 degree isnt realistic for a f1 car 👍

People want it easyer, thats why they chose 200 degree, just dont say its realistic ;)

Back