200 Degree Steering Lock on the DFGT

• Thread starter machscnel
  • 44 comments
They always have more lock available at Monaco though.

I think they have more lock all the time, its just they have to use it at Monaco :P But they'd still need it for manoeuvring in the pits and such. What sort of steering do F1 cars have, rack and pinion? If its rack and pinion, there's no reason why you'd have more steering travel for one circuit and less for another. Well, you might have small differences when you tune your steering and suspension, but it wont be a major difference, only a few degrees.

Nope. They fit a new steering rack especially for Monaco. There is more than 200 degrees normally but not much more.

Nope. They fit a new steering rack especially for Monaco. There is more than 200 degrees normally but not much more.

Normally, it is more closer to something like 360. I'm not familiar with the fact that they fit something special for Monaco, it could be because this track is really something "else" but I'm just not sure. (Does the F1 rules really allow this kind of thing?)

Normally, it is more closer to something like 360. I'm not familiar with the fact that they fit something special for Monaco, it could be because this track is really something "else" but I'm just not sure. (Does the F1 rules really allow this kind of thing?)

It gets mentioned in the commentary at every Monaco Grand Prix I've ever seen!

It's a shame you don't get access to the BBC's freeview coverage on channel 301. It gives in-car coverage of the entire race from all the cars with a camera in that location. They really don't move the wheel that much at all.

Mmk, I just looked it up, they fit completely different suspension for Monaco. That's why I was confused, its counter intuitive to change JUST the lock, because the steering angle of the wheels themselves is a geometry thing. If you had the geometry to allow for X amount of steering, its not logical to just reduce the lock for the next race, because you're not changing the geometry so you're not really giving yourself any advantage. But seeing as how they have a whole different suspension set up for Monaco, then that makes more sense.

But still, 200 degrees is too small :P Our previous FSAE car had 240 degrees and that's a purpose built cone dodger, any other car would be more.

I think it'd be nice to have more than just 900 and 200. Should have options like 900 (street cars) and 360, 450 and 540 (many race cars). F1 cars have way more than 200 degrees... I count about 540 in this vid (look at 0:23)...

I agree, but:

Delphic Reason
However, the entire Fanatec Porsche wheel range can be hardware locked to 3 or 4 different settings (i.e. 210, 360, 540, 900).

It's already been taken care of. Furthermore, I have no doubt the upcoming Logitech wheel will also allow hardware locking to multiple different ratios.

;)

It's already been taken care of. Furthermore, I have no doubt the upcoming Logitech wheel will also allow hardware locking to multiple different ratios.

;)

Yeah, but it doesn't help the many many people who already own Logitech wheels. :P I couldn't care less if the next wheel Logitech make has those features, I'm not going to buy it when I have a perfectly fine G25 sitting next to me.

Its like Forza finally supporting a decent wheel, the Fanatec ones. Doesn't help me though, a wheel that is overpriced and not even sold in Australia, yay :P

They just need to get on the boat with everyone else and properly support the wheels people actually own. Its not like the good old days when you'd buy a cheap wheel for the same price as a game then just upgrade it if you want... these wheels are several hundred and you can't just expect people to buy new ones. The game needs to support the old ones properly, especially since we KNOW varying degrees of rotation is possible, since PC does it fine, infact it can do any angle you want :P

Yeah, but it doesn't help the many many people who already own Logitech wheels. :P I couldn't care less if the next wheel Logitech make has those features, I'm not going to buy it when I have a perfectly fine G25 sitting next to me.

Its like Forza finally supporting a decent wheel, the Fanatec ones. Doesn't help me though, a wheel that is overpriced and not even sold in Australia, yay :P

They just need to get on the boat with everyone else and properly support the wheels people actually own. Its not like the good old days when you'd buy a cheap wheel for the same price as a game then just upgrade it if you want... these wheels are several hundred and you can't just expect people to buy new ones. The game needs to support the old ones properly, especially since we KNOW varying degrees of rotation is possible, since PC does it fine, infact it can do any angle you want :P

Honestly, I think you're asking a bit much. Well, not really, but it's not likely to happen. Although, I do understand your frustration.

These companies are in business to make money first, and making you happy comes in a distant second.

They're not going to make their old wheel work for all the new stuff, if they are working on a new wheel that will have those features. It just doesn't make business sense.

If it were up to me and you, all wheels would work for all systems. Alas, it is not, and we have to deal with what we get.

I sold my G25 to order the Fanatec 911 Turbo S wheel. After selling the G25, I only had to fork over a $150 to get the Fanatec wheel. Small price to pay for a wheel that works on all systems, and has 4 hardware lock settings (I have been waiting to play an F1/rally game (on console) properly for years).

I had a lot of issues with the G25 design, so it wasn't hard for me to get rid of it for something better designed, in my opinion.

;)

Honestly, I think you're asking a bit much. Well, not really, but it's not likely to happen. Although, I do understand your frustration.

These companies are in business to make money first, and making you happy comes in a distant second.

They're not going to make their old wheel work for all the new stuff, if they are working on a new wheel that will have those features. It just doesn't make business sense.

If it were up to me and you, all wheels would work for all systems. Alas, it is not, and we have to deal with what we get.

I sold my G25 to order the Fanatec 911 Turbo S wheel. After selling the G25, I only had to fork over a $150 to get the Fanatec wheel. Small price to pay for a wheel that works on all systems, and has 4 hardware lock settings (I have been waiting to play an F1/rally game (on console) properly for years).

I had a lot of issues with the G25 design, so it wasn't hard for me to get rid of it for something better designed, in my opinion.

;)

Asking for M$ to support the G25 is asking too much because M$ are morons who tried to monopolise a market with an inferior product (their crappy wireless FFB wheel), then gave the exclusive lisence to a company that can't cope with the stress (limited runs of wheels, long waits, even after long waits, further delays, then even after delays STILL having issues with it... I'm not blaming Fanatec though, I'm blaming MS). :P

However asking for proper support of steering angels in Gran Turismo I dont feel is asking too much, they have no good reason to not support it, it benefits them to fully support it, and its been shown on PC that it can be done, as far as I'm aware PC and PS3 have basically the same interface for wheels and such (its the xbox 360 that's the odd one out).

Of course companies are in it to make money and not to make people happy, but at the end of the day, making people happy will make them money. If M$ actually supported the G25, I guarantee I would have bought an xbox 360 when it came out with Forza 2. Then I'm sure I would have bought other games too. Instead, M$ have zero of my dollars in support of their console and games.

The more I think about it the less I want a PS3 as well :P

Asking for M$ to support the G25 is asking too much because M$ are morons who tried to monopolise a market with an inferior product (their crappy wireless FFB wheel), then gave the exclusive lisence to a company that can't cope with the stress (limited runs of wheels, long waits, even after long waits, further delays, then even after delays STILL having issues with it... I'm not blaming Fanatec though, I'm blaming MS). :P

However asking for proper support of steering angels in Gran Turismo I dont feel is asking too much, they have no good reason to not support it, it benefits them to fully support it, and its been shown on PC that it can be done, as far as I'm aware PC and PS3 have basically the same interface for wheels and such (its the xbox 360 that's the odd one out).

Of course companies are in it to make money and not to make people happy, but at the end of the day, making people happy will make them money. If M$ actually supported the G25, I guarantee I would have bought an xbox 360 when it came out with Forza 2. Then I'm sure I would have bought other games too. Instead, M$ have zero of my dollars in support of their console and games.

The more I think about it the less I want a PS3 as well :P

Those are the breaks.

The truth is MS feels they would make more money going this route. Maybe it's not true, but then again, maybe it will be. Furthermore, as I had already said, they are not going to add feature support for an old wheel if they have a new more expensive wheel coming out that has those features. It doesn't make any business sense. I can understand you don't like it, but it's not hard to understand.

BTW, for those who don't know, the DFP does not lock at 200 degrees as advertised. It locks at 180 degrees (from lock to lock). Which is why I immediately sold it. I was going to use it for games that utilize vehicles with a much smaller steering ratio, but 180 is waaayyy too small for anything I can think of.

;)

Those are the breaks.

Yep, thats true ;) Its not like I'm going to bed crying because I dont own Forza and GT5 :P Its just annoying.

One of the frustating things with M$ not supporting the G25 is the fact its a royal pain in the arse just to get a Fanatec wheel here in Australia. Even the Fanatac Speedster 3 wheel back on the original xbox, I bought that, but it was a fluke that the electronics store my sister worked at got a couple in when not even video game shops had them and I grabbed, from memory, the 2nd last one. Didn't see another in a shop for ages.

The same goes for the new Fanatec wheel. I MIGHT be able to justify selling my G25, assuming I could actually buy a Fanatec and not have to wait forever to get it and have it shipped from overseas. Especially if it has a fault and I have to send it back. Sometimes I dont know what M$ are smoking when they make these choices. Just support a wheel people can actually buy, not some limited run wheel that you have to order online.

At the moment thats the biggest advantage the G25 has. I can walk into a shop and buy one, thats how I got mine. The day after my last exam I literally walked a couple of kms to a computer shop and bought one and was playing with it that night.

But, I digress :P Point being, GT should support any wheel rotation and they have no good reason not to do so.

But, I digress :P Point being, GT should support any wheel rotation and they have no good reason not to do so.

Very true. It is nice to go into the Logitech Profiler and set the degree to anything I want. Shouldn't be too hard to implement into GT5, or at least integrating somer kind of profiler (maybe on a USB stick) to make adjustments on the system before playing a game (similar to the Logitech profiler, but on a console). I have been waiting for such a feature for a long time. With the different types of racing on display in GT5 (NASCAR, WRC, JGTC, F1, etc...) you really do need the option to setup the steering ratio, so as to better simulate the vehicle/race in question.

No more 900 degree F1 cars!

;)

Has there been any update on the dfgt since gt5 came out to support 200 degree turning? I searched over and over, but still can't find a way to turn the 900 degree lock to lock back into 200 degrees.

Has there been any update on the dfgt since gt5 came out to support 200 degree turning? I searched over and over, but still can't find a way to turn the 900 degree lock to lock back into 200 degrees.

No. The DFGT cannot be updated. Only PC drivers can be updated for the DFGT. So (on console) you will never be able to do this. On PC it has always been possible by changing the steering ratio in the PC driver.

;)

Back