Code Red
Premium
United Kingdom
Scarfolk
Grim10
Are you kidding?
Taken from fast-autos.net.
Porsche Unveils 500-hp Cayenne Turbo Option and Panorama Roof

ATLANTA, SEPT. 14, 2004 --- Stuttgart-based Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG is expanding its Cayenne customization program to include increased horsepower for the Cayenne Turbo, an automatically extending rearview camera on all three Cayenne models, and new Panorama roof system that is approximately four times larger than the standard Cayenne tilt-and-slide sunroof.

Beginning in December 2004, Porsche will offer increased horsepower for the Cayenne Turbo through its Tequipment program. The upgrade includes increasing the engine performance from 450 to 500 horsepower, a reinforced brake system and an adapted suspension system requiring 19-inch or larger wheels. Thus equipped, the Cayenne Turbo can reach a top test-track speed of 167 mph (series production: 165 mph), and a 0 to 60 mph time of 4.9 seconds (Cayenne Turbo with 450 horsepower: 5.2 seconds). Fuel consumption, as with the 450 horsepower Cayenne Turbo, remains unchanged at 13 mpg city/18 mpg highway.

Porsche achieved the 50 extra horsepower by optimizing the flow design of the intercooler and other engine management developments. In conjunction with changed accelerator pedal characteristics, this results in an optimized torque build-up and even sportier engine characteristics. The maximum torque has increased from 460 to 515 pounds-feet, and maximum torque is available between 2,250 and 4,750 rpm.

The front brake system has a new aluminum six-piston monobloc disc-brake caliper with a brake pad area that is more than 12 percent larger than the standard Cayenne Turbo front brake system. The brake disc is 14.96 inches/380 mm in diameter and 1.5 inches/38 mm thick (series production: 13.78 inches/350 mm in diameter and 1.34 inches/34 mm thick). Porsche engineers also optimized the brake ventilation. The rear brakes discs have also been enlarged to 14.1-inches/358 mm (series production: 13 inches/330 mm).

The Cayenne Turbo with the Tequipment upgrade is available for a U.S. MSRP of $109,200. A retrofit package is available through Tequipment for $18,500 plus installation at an authorized Porsche dealer.

Variable Panorama Roof System for all Cayenne Models

From December 2004, all Cayenne, Cayenne S and Cayenne Turbos are available with an optional electrically operated Panorama roof system made from laminated safety glass. It has a surface area of just over 15 square feet/1.4 square meters and is approximately four times larger than typical sliding sunroof/pop-up sunroof systems.

The panorama roof system features three movable segments and one fixed segment. The front segment swings up when opened and acts as a wind deflector, which minimizes wind noise and turbulence at high speeds. The two central glass segments can be opened separately to allow a targeted flow of fresh air for the front and/or rear areas. The two segments can be pushed above or below one another, and to maximize the opening both segments can be moved all the way to the rear. In addition, it is possible to set the roof system in a raised position over the rear seats. In total, 15 different roof configurations can be selected.
91404.jpg

In addition, an electric roller blind helps protect the interior from excessive sunlight. The entire roof system is operated by way of an illuminated rotary switch located in the roof console. The system is available for a U.S. price of $3,900.

Rearview Camera for Precise Maneuvering
914042.jpg

All Cayenne models also will be offered worldwide beginning in December 2004 with a rearview camera system.

The camera, which is mounted just below the rear window and features a wide-angle lens, extends automatically when the reverse gear is selected. Once activated, it provides the driver with a clear image of the area behind the car via the 6.5-inch full-color display on the Porsche Communication Management (PCM) system. This system not only provides precise reverse parking and the ability to see obstacles behind the car, it also lets the driver couple a trailer without the driver having to rely on a second person providing directions. A cover plate moves to protect the rearview camera once a forward gear is selected or at speeds above 9 mph/15 km/h. The U.S. price will be $1,680.

Porsche Cars North America, Inc. (PCNA), based in Atlanta, Ga., and its subsidiary, Porsche Cars Canada, Ltd., are the exclusive importers of Porsche 911, Boxster and Carrera GT sports cars and Cayenne sport utility vehicles for the United States and Canada. A wholly owned, indirect subsidiary of Dr. Ing. h.c.F. Porsche AG, PCNA employs approximately 250 people who provide Porsche vehicles, parts, service, marketing and training for its 203 U.S. and Canadian dealers. They, in turn, provide Porsche owners with best-in-class service.

Just a quick question- Would this put it direct competition with the Merc ML55?

Panoramic sunroofs are becoming really popular… it's even standard equipment on the Scion tC. I'm guessing they'll be just as widespread as regular sunroofs within a few years.

There was also that Audi concept from the early 90s with the clear roof, I forget the name of it ..

Same reason you'd want a sunroof, but even more of it. I dunno if you drive a car with a sunroof, but it makes a huge difference when you have all of that light coming from the top – it seriously does make the car feel a lot nicer and more airy. So, a panoramic sunroof would be even better! ;)

Sage
Same reason you'd want a sunroof, but even more of it. I dunno if you drive a car with a sunroof, but it makes a huge difference when you have all of that light coming from the top – it seriously does make the car feel a lot nicer and more airy. So, a panoramic sunroof would be even better! ;)
Especially if you live in a sunny area then it would be really pleaseant! (SP?)

Same reason you'd want a sunroof, but even more of it. I dunno if you drive a car with a sunroof, but it makes a huge difference when you have all of that light coming from the top – it seriously does make the car feel a lot nicer and more airy. So, a panoramic sunroof would be even better!

Meh, my mum never opens the front sunroof on the Previa (there are two) she hates the glare.

Especially if you live in a sunny area then it would be really pleaseant! (SP?)
Explains why I didn't see the reason. Wales = gloomy

This thing will be a total beast! I'm amazed that something with that much HP gets decent gas mileage.

500HP!

Isn't that more than the Boxster and the 911 Carrera and Targa?

Man, that's one fast SUV. Let's hope it's not a roller.

J/P. We all know the Germans know how to take turns without a rollover.

ultrabeat
Just a quick question- Would this put it direct competition with the Merc ML55?

The ML55 was actually cancelled in 2002 (though for the record, I would've bought a 2005), but even then it only had 342 horsepower; it's more in competition with the Cayenne S (340hp) and BMW X5 4.6is (340hp; or 4.8is, 355hp, depending on the year). The Cayenne Turbo was previously in a class by itself, and the power boost simply adds to that.

ND4SPD
This thing will be a total beast! I'm amazed that something with that much HP gets decent gas mileage.

I owned a Turbo for several months and never topped 11mpg; it typically hovered around ten.

McLaren F1GTR
500HP!

Isn't that more than the Boxster and the 911 Carrera and Targa?

Man, that's one fast SUV. Let's hope it's not a roller.

J/P. We all know the Germans know how to take turns without a rollover.

Elk test:D

Whoa...500hp?! Thats gotta be the most hp in its class..in North america anyway, does anyobe know how much power the new Ford Excursion makes? I heard 450, but that thing is huge.

Is 500HP really necesary for something that, lets be honest, will never EVER see less than the most Hollywood of asphalts? I mean, "being seen" doesn't require fast movement. In fact it requires a slow crawl so everyone can see you inside and know exactly who it is. The Cayenne would be just as flashy with 300hp, and far more fuel effecient.

But I dig the roof (:

This seems a better thread than any to mention the incoming VW Toureg W12.
No point starting a new thread.

I'd buy one. It's like a Hummer, but doesn't show you have concerns about your sexuality.

001__scaled_600_035.jpg

002__scaled_600_028.jpg
006__scaled_600_013.jpg

I wonder what might happen if VW made a Polo W12 or Lupo W12 concept...

LoudMusic
Is 500HP really necesary for something that, lets be honest, will never EVER see less than the most Hollywood of asphalts? I mean, "being seen" doesn't require fast movement. In fact it requires a slow crawl so everyone can see you inside and know exactly who it is. The Cayenne would be just as flashy with 300hp, and far more fuel effecient.

But I dig the roof (:

Just so you know, lots of people buy the Cayenne for reasons other than "being seen." When I bought mine, I had three objectives:

- fast as hell
- significant off-road ability
- lots of stuff

A lot of vehicles met two of those requirements, but not the third; the Cayenne was an exception.

Then again, not a lot of people have that second requirement, and I suggest something else to them.

Didn't know you had a Cayenne M5Power? Also that V12 Toureg looks quite mean. What are the specs on that thing?

I had one for a little while. That Touareg uses the same engine inside the Volkswagen Phaeton; it's a 6-liter W12 that produces 420 horsepower in the Phaeton, though I'm not sure of the power rating in the Touareg. The most powerful Touareg, though, has 310 horsepower (either a 4.2-liter V8 or a 4.9-liter V10 Turbodiesel) and the quickest one (the Turbodiesel, since it has 553lb-ft of torque) does 0-60 in 7.2 so you can imagine how quick the Touareg W12 would be.

i remember watching a show with offroading 911s....the porsches did better off road than all fords.

but whatever....i wouldnt be suprised if the cayenne is an offroad king.

umm....as for the sunroof....down here in florida, that thing would be a friggin OVEN in the heat. if you parked at the mall, by the time you'd come back to the car and open the door, you would get blasted by the heat from inside. do they have something that slides closed to cover up all that glass?

Latest Posts

Back