2006 Range Rover SPORT

(from Land Rover Press Release)
Land Rover has released the first photographs of Range Rover Sport, an entirely new vehicle from the world's leading sport-utility vehicle manufacturer. A true performance vehicle, Range Rover Sport is optimized for fast, comfortable long-distance driving. The addition of Range Rover Sport marks the fifth nameplate for the brand and complements the flagship Range Rover.

Powered in top-line form by a supercharged 390hp 4.2-liter V8 engine, Range Rover Sport will deliver the highest degree of power ever available on a Land Rover model. A normally aspirated V8 engine option will also be available.

Excellent on-road dynamics are delivered through Land Rover's new Dynamic Response suspension system and performance-tuned chassis. The innovative system, making its debut on Range Rover Sport, senses cornering forces and acts to optimize body control and handling. It also decouples off-road to allow greater wheel articulation during tough all-terrain driving.

"Range Rover Sport takes us into the growing performance SUV market, but is different from all rivals," says Matthew Taylor, Managing Director of Land Rover. "We see it as a less frenetic, more refined alternative to existing performance SUVs. It is ideal for fast, comfortable, long-distance driving and practical enough for everyday use. Yet it is also exceptional off-road, offering better all-terrain ability than any competitor. Like all Land Rover products, it offers the broadest range of capability in its class."

With its aerodynamic and muscular exterior design, Range Rover Sport's stance is powerful and aggressive. The five-door body style with single-piece rear aluminum tailgate adds to the dynamic look and feel of the vehicle.

"It is the best 'driver's vehicle' that Land Rover has ever made," adds Taylor. "There is the traditional Land Rover command driving position, yet the cockpit is more cocooning than the SUV norm."

Range Rover Sport will be unveiled at the North American International Auto Show in January, and will be available in North America in summer of 2005.

Pricing and detailed specification will be announced closer to launch date, but is expected to fit between LR3 and Range Rover in the Land Rover product range.

Engine : 4.2 liter V8
Aspiration : supercharger (optional)
HP :390 hp
HP/Liter :92.9 hp per liter
Torque :410 lb-ft
Top Speed : 140 mph (electronically limited)
0-100 : 6.6 (est)

pix:
2006-Land-Rover-Rang.jpg

2006-Land-Rover-Rang1.jpg

2006-Land-Rover-Rang.jpg

2006-Land-Rover-Rang.jpg

2006-Land-Rover-Rang1.jpg

Smaller pics, please.

edit: That's better. Now I can read the post too without having to side-scroll.

As for the looks of it - It looks british, that's good. But it doesn't look as exciting as the Range Stormer, that's bad. But now at least they have a proper performance car.

I'm sorry, but Range Rover and on road performance are two things that don't go together at all. Performance SUVs all corner like crap anyways, there is nothing the engineers can do to completly negate the disadvantages of having a high centre of gravity (aside from build a real car). And 0-60 in 6.6 seconds is not anything close to impressive when you consider the 390hp engine.

It looks like an oversized Mini. Personally, I could do without it.

The Range Rover Sport is as capable offroad as most any other Land Rover. This is not some "soft-ute"

The359
The Range Rover Sport is as capable offroad as most any other Land Rover. This is not some "soft-ute"

My bad, just read the full article. What is the price on this thing? Or is it not released yet? Well since its a range rover I'd say pretty high and wouldn't someone rather get the Cayenne? As it has better on road capability?

I'd much rather get a Cayenne Turbo, at least it has good acceleration. But, as Jeremy Clarkson said once, 'It would be like choosing between rabies and botulism'.

Two things.

1. What is the EPA on that thing? Land Rover always have horrible EPA ratings.

2. That color looks alot like the Range Stormer Concept.

The current Range Rover gets 12/16 MPG with it's 4.4 L BMW V8.

I am guessing that the 4.2 S/C V8 comes from the (also) Ford-owned Jaguar S-type R. This engine gets 17/24.

What does that tell us? I havent a clue. The MPG will probably be in the low teens, I speculate.

skip0110
The current Range Rover gets 12/16 MPG with it's 4.4 L BMW V8.

I am guessing that the 4.2 S/C V8 comes from the (also) Ford-owned Jaguar S-type R. This engine gets 17/24.

What does that tell us? I havent a clue. The MPG will probably be in the low teens, I speculate.
:lol: low teens? the cars not going through Puberty.

Horrible. I can't believe they sell with the gas prices.
Do you think that a person that can own a car like this cares about the price of gas??? Highly doubtful. I, personally, think it looks great. I love LR's, and think this is a nice addition to the lineup.

Hilg

Blah. I would much rather take the FX45 from Infiniti, either that or the Porsche. For some reason I find this Range Rover dreadful. The styling of the FX is way better. I actually find the FX really striking.

EDIT: Maybe dreadful is too harsh of a word, but I just don't find it attractive at all. :yuck:

rollazn
Blah. I would much rather take the FX45 from Infiniti, either that or the Porsche. For some reason I find this Range Rover dreadful. The styling of the FX is way better. I actually find the FX really striking.

EDIT: Maybe dreadful is too harsh of a word, but I just don't find it attractive at all. :yuck:
Styling aside,, you have to admit that the FX has not 1/10th the off-road capability of the Land Rover. I know, I know, maybe 1 in 100 people actually will use (or abuse?) their cars enough to know the difference, but for some, the security blanket is comforting.

rollazn

I Agree with in 👍 FX45 but its still Nissan :ill:

True, I know that the Infiniti is not made to be an off-road competitor but still if I had a FX I wouldn't go off-roading anyways. I might scratch the paint!

FX45 will run though. ;) They are quick as hell.

JNasty4G63
Do you think that a person that can own a car like this cares about the price of gas??? Highly doubtful.
Hilg
Well dont get to sure about being Highly doubltful there man. My parents can afford this "automobile" if they wanted to but they wont ever. Why? Because they dont want the extra features and "junk" like that. They just like something very simple. Oh and I think they do care about the gas.

JNasty4G63
Do you think that a person that can own a car like this cares about the price of gas??? Highly doubtful. I, personally, think it looks great. I love LR's, and think this is a nice addition to the lineup.

Hilg

Well there are cheaper Land Rovers such as the Discovery and Freelander and people like me could afford it. Those just like the Range Rover have almost identical EPA ratings. People like me do not like and can't afford gas prices today.

Latest Posts

Back