2007 Nissan Altima

• Thread starter RobcioPL
  • 29 comments
At a Glance: 2007 Nissan Altima

Building on previous generation Altima’s reputation as the design and dynamic leader in class, the all-new 2007 Nissan Altima is evolutionary in design, but revolutionary in its platform and hardware.

Addressing the Altima target customers’ desires for a more rewarding driving and ownership experience, the all-new Altima offers new levels of quality feel, enhanced comfort and available convenience features.

The 2007 Altima is 100% original and 100% Nissan, rather than a copy of existing mid-size sedan offerings. Along with its distinctive styling, the new fourth generation Altima utilizes the all-new Nissan “D” platform with improved body rigidity and a redesigned suspension with the development objective of making Altima one of the best performing large front-wheel drive sedans available globally.

The new Altima also offers Nissan’s advanced Xtronic CVT™ (Continuously Variable Transmission), a choice of the award-winning VQ-series 3.5-liter V6 or powerful 2.5-liter inline 4-cylinder engines, and a long list of technology features – including available Intelligent Key with Push Start Ignition, Bluetooth® Hands-Free Phone System, RearView Monitor and an advanced touch-screen navigation system.

The 2007 Nissan Altima goes on sale in fall 2006. Highlights include:

Body

* Continuation of Altima’s distinctive, sporty design
* 1-inch shorter wheelbase, same ample interior and trunk dimensions
* Aggressive stance, Nissan "T-shaped" grille, forward A-pillar, Altima-style taillights, reduced wheel opening gaps

Engine and Driveline

* Redesigned "next generation" 3.5-liter DOHC 24-valve V6 with an estimated 265-plus horsepower* and 255-plus lb-ft of torque and refined 2.5-liter DOHC 16-valve inline 4-cylinder with 165-plus horsepower and 170-plus lb-ft for stronger acceleration and refined sound quality
* Standard dual exhaust with both engines
* New Xtronic CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission) designed for fluid-feeling performance and efficient operation – V6 utilizes an all-new controller with adaptive logic and is performance-tuned
* Xtronic CVTs available with both V6 and 4-cylinder engines
* New 6-speed manual transmission with a narrower gate, shorter shift stroke and improved shifting feel (available with both V6 and 4-cylinder engines)

Suspension, Steering and Braking

* All-new "D" platform featuring much improved body rigidity, reduced NVH, 30 millimeter lower engine mounting position
* New front suspension design with new geometry, half shafts now equal angle and more parallel to the ground – virtually eliminating torque steer
* Improved rear suspension design with an emphasis on nimbleness and good ride comfort
* Secure feel, flatter cornering and enhanced comfort now easier to appreciate performance in everyday driving
* Shock absorbers with rebound springs for secure cornering feel
* Sport-tuned suspension with larger diameter stabilizer bars and unique spring rates and strut damping on 3.5 SE model
* New power-assisted vehicle-speed-sensitive rack-and-pinion steering system provides light effort at low speeds, secure feeling at high speeds
* Power-assisted front vented disc/solid rear disc with available Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) with Electronic Brake force Distribution (EBD) and Brake Assist (BA)
* Available 16-inch steel or aluminum-alloy wheels with 215/60R16 tires or 17-inch aluminum-alloy wheels with 215/55R17 tires

Interior Features

* Enhanced interior feel with refined workmanship, expanded use of soft materials (such as padded armrests) and chrome accents
* Roomy yet sporty interior space with innovative amenities, including new Fine Vision Gauges display instrument panel, available Intelligent Key with Push Button Ignition, convenient covered storage compartments and nine cup or bottle holders
* Available Bose®-developed audio system with 9 speakers, Bluetooth® Hands-Free Phone System, dual-zone automatic temperature control
* Comfortable, highly bolstered seats

Safety

* Standard Nissan Advanced Air Bag System (AABS) with dual-stage air bags and seat belt sensors, standard front-seat side-impact supplemental air bags and standard side-impact curtain supplemental air bags
* Zone Body construction
* Front seat Active Head Restraints
* Front seat belts with pretensioners and load limiters
* LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren) child seat anchors and tether system

Models and Manufacturing

* Available in 3.5-liter V6, 2.5-liter 4-cylinder and HEV models (details on the early 2007 Altima HEV launch are forthcoming)
* Assembled by Nissan North America Manufacturing Smyrna & Decherd, Tennessee and Canton, Mississippi Plants

All horsepower ratings are per SAE J1349 (AUG 2004)[/

2007 Nissan Altima Takes Expressive Styling, Athletic Performance, Quality and Innovation to New Levels
Engineers Set "Best Performing Large Front-Wheel Drive Sedan in the World" as Target for the Development of New D-Platform

2007 Altima Key Dimensions and Specifications

07-altima-01.jpg

07-altima-02.jpg

07-altima-03.jpg

07-altima-04.jpg

07-altima-05.jpg

07-altima-06.jpg

07-altima-07.jpg

07-altima-08.jpg

Looks absolutely amazing both inside and out, but even with the excellent VQ35DE powering it, two great transmissions to choose from, and so on, it just doesn't appeal to me because it is front wheel drive. Make it rear or all wheel drive, and I'll be drooling over this car in an instant. But until then, my attention will be directed towards the BMW 3-Series.

The back of the car looks a lot like the front of the car. But for some reason I don't mind the front, but I hate those rear tail lights.

ive always liked the looks of the altima. this one does not disappoint either. the one word that comes to mind when i saw all of the pics was versatility.

looks awesome

Better, but I still don't think it is as good as the Honda Accord or Saturn Aura. My Step Mom has a 2003 Altima, and IMO, the thing is a piece of junk.

2003 was indeed a low point for Nissan... poor interior quality on most of the new models, and so many bugbears its not funny.

The new Altima looks terrific. Nissan finally has some zing in its design department again... and thank God they're doing away with the "tooth" in the middle of the grille.

Hopefully, they've got the interiors right, this time.

BlazinXtreme
The back of the car looks a lot like the front of the car. But for some reason I don't mind the front, but I hate those rear tail lights.

+1 Wow 2 threads in a row I've +1'd you. I will admit the tail lights are the weak point--but everything else rocks.

niky
2003 was indeed a low point for Nissan... poor interior quality on most of the new models, and so many bugbears its not funny.
I have the '04, which is a production year '03, and yes, it's pretty lame. Today, only thing I like about the car is the design and the 2.5L motor. During my ownership, both Nissan and my local Nissan Dealer's been even lamer than my car, so I would be looking at Honda, Mazda or Ford before I'd consider Nissan this time around. Pretty lame, since I was really attached to Nissan.

Shouldn't a dealer dictate what car you buy. And the Altima isn't exactly a luxury saloon--I wouldn't dismiss every Nissan product just from your experience with this model. Having said that buy a Ford Fusion or Mazda6 next time. :sly:

JCE3000GT
Shouldn't a dealer dictate what car you buy.
True in some cases, not in mine though. Beaverton Nissan is the only Nissan dealer in my town. Next closest one is about 1/2 hour away with no traffic(I-5 there is notorious for backups). When your dealer's service and parts department keeps screwing up over and over, it should influence your decision on your next purchase.

JCE3000GT
And the Altima isn't exactly a luxury saloon--I wouldn't dismiss every Nissan product just from your experience with this model. Having said that buy a Ford Fusion or Mazda6 next time. :sly:
Fusion's nice(except for that nasty "Mach 3" grill :yuck: ). I'm probably going to go small this time, like Honda Fit.

@JCE3000GT: For the import boys, the Altima is uber-luxury... I've heard that lots of Filipinos drive them... :lol: ...not taking a stab at you, a6m5... I just found it funny when one or two ex-pats mentioned this... funny, because I'm half-Filipino, and I'd always rather fancied getting an Altima if I moved back to the US.

I agree on the Fit, though... decent interior space, great legroom and headroom... might feel a tad slow coming down from a 2.5, though... :D

a6m5
True in some cases, not in mine though.

There was a typo in my post, I MEANT to say don't LET a dealer dictate whether or not you buy a Nissan just because they suck. 👍

Saw this at the auto show, and I have to say I was impressed, especially by the SE-R version. My sister had a Altima 2.5 as a rental car, and although I never had a chance to drive it, I can vouch that the ride is pretty good, and you get a lot for your money in my opinion. Definitly worth adding to your list of cars to test drive. 👍

One thing that I will say thats bad is those stupid door cup holders. All the cars i've been in that have them all have sticky pop (soda for you Americans) residue covering the entire door from the cans/bottles falling over, spilling out, getting knocked by legs/arms or being thrown over when the doors open. Worst spot ever for a cup holder, and although my car doesn't have one cup holder, i'm atleast glad it doesn't have any there. 👎

YSSMAN
Better, but I still don't think it is as good as the Honda Accord or Saturn Aura. My Step Mom has a 2003 Altima, and IMO, the thing is a piece of junk.

Go out and drive an 05 and it should be a different expierience. All 07+ are using all new high quality materials, we will see about that.

niky
I agree on the Fit, though... decent interior space, great legroom and headroom... might feel a tad slow coming down from a 2.5, though... :D
I do love the 2.5 engine. It feels like a V-6(especially with a stickshift), but gets great gas mileage.

Fit will be: 1)WAY more fun to drive. Altima 2.5S is an opposite of "driver's car", even after Eibach Springs and larger tires/wheels. 2)WAY better fuel economy. I think we all sense gas prices will keep on rising.

I think I can deal with less horsepower. I'm more worried about the smaller cockpit. I tried to go for Sentra SE-R last time around, but as soon as I test drove it, I had to get a bigger car(Altima). To me, midsize's perfect, size-wise.

P.S. Who's "ex-pats"? and I didn't get the joke. :confused::guilty:

JCE3000GT
There was a typo in my post, I MEANT to say don't LET a dealer dictate whether or not you buy a Nissan just because they suck. 👍
Well, there really isn't much I can do. This dealer just got bought by another group, I've been told it's gotten even worse. Also, Nissan is supposed to stay on top of this stuff. If a dealer builts bad reputaion over few years and nothing gets done to correct the situation, it is partially Nissan's fault. I think you know, I'm not a Nissan hater. I've always liked their cars. My current car is a Nissan, my first car was a Nissan.

Sorry for the off-topicness. I do love the new design. It will be one of the best looking sedans on the market IMO. I love the subtle change/update in the exterior design. Interior looks great as well. I'm betting it will still be a boring car to drive though. :D

RobcioPL
Go out and drive an 05 and it should be a different expierience. All 07+ are using all new high quality materials, we will see about that.

I've expirienced the changes, but I really was not all that impressed by them. The materials still have a very GM-like cheapness to them, very sub-par compared to Toyota and Honda. I mean, Honda really is not the golden goose it used to be (check out the 06 Civic, you will see what I mean), and Toyota's build quality has been sliding the past few years, but Nissan has only marginally improved.

I presume, just as you said, the 07 will be worlds better. Time will tell of course, and I will probably check one out anyway.

Yup yup, every company has slipped, but the worst i think is dodge. GM has nicer materials then they do. I havent checked out any new fords, other then the mustang, how are they?

YSSMAN
I've expirienced the changes, but I really was not all that impressed by them. The materials still have a very GM-like cheapness to them, very sub-par compared to Toyota and Honda. I mean, Honda really is not the golden goose it used to be (check out the 06 Civic, you will see what I mean), and Toyota's build quality has been sliding the past few years, but Nissan has only marginally improved.

I presume, just as you said, the 07 will be worlds better. Time will tell of course, and I will probably check one out anyway.

The new Mustang is actually vary nice, and I would almost dare to say it is the best in the entire Ford lineup outside of the GT. Other than that, Ford is on-par with the rest of GM, but way ahead of DCX in most situations.

Its kinda like comparing the plastic coke bottle, to the plastic pepsi bottle, to the plastic RC bottle... They are all kinda the same, and kinda different too. I would put GM in the lead (easily) with Ford right behind, and DCX in a disantant third.

On bottles... I prefer what's inside, rather than what's on the outside... but then, that's the point, right? 👍

a6m5
Fit will be: 1)WAY more fun to drive. Altima 2.5S is an opposite of "driver's car", even after Eibach Springs and larger tires/wheels. 2)WAY better fuel economy. I think we all sense gas prices will keep on rising.

I think I can deal with less horsepower. I'm more worried about the smaller cockpit. I tried to go for Sentra SE-R last time around, but as soon as I test drove it, I had to get a bigger car(Altima). To me, midsize's perfect, size-wise.

P.S. Who's "ex-pats"? and I didn't get the joke. :confused::guilty:

ex-pats... ex-patriots... Americans who used to be Filipinos.

Joke is: I find it funny that Filipinos go to the US and automatically buy cars like Expeditions and Altimas because they think of them as luxury cars (here in the Philippines, you need to be a millionaire to own one)... it's funny because I actually want an Altima, and I would be propagating a stereotype if I got one.... ahhh... whatever... it's too complicated. :lol:

Well, midsize cars really aren't as nimble when you come down to it, no matter what you do... sucks you spent so much finding that out. Still doesn't make the new Alty SE-R any less desirable to me...

I'm a Ford owner... I'm used to sucky plastic. :lol:

...Speaking of the Altima SE-R, I havent seen too many around. Only one (silver) at the dealer, and one (black) in the Meijer parking lot. Did they decide to stop making it?

I see at least one new SE-R Altima a week. They are just smaller production models is all. And as for the interiors I'd put Ford and it's sister companies ahead of GM easily. GM's Cadillac division is really the only "nice" interior followed by Saturn? DCX just has no hope. They have Merc at thier disposal and they choose to ignore even a little influence on the interior. If they learned from Merc and put in better interiors and slightly raised the price to compensate people might buy more.

They make them only for 05-06, so they are pretty rare.

YSSMAN
...Speaking of the Altima SE-R, I havent seen too many around. Only one (silver) at the dealer, and one (black) in the Meijer parking lot. Did they decide to stop making it?

niky
ex-pats... ex-patriots... Americans who used to be Filipinos.

Joke is: I find it funny that Filipinos go to the US and automatically buy cars like Expeditions and Altimas because they think of them as luxury cars (here in the Philippines, you need to be a millionaire to own one)... it's funny because I actually want an Altima, and I would be propagating a stereotype if I got one.... ahhh... whatever... it's too complicated. :lol:
I got it now. Sorry about that. Sucks to explain a joke to someone, everytime. :D

niky
Well, midsize cars really aren't as nimble when you come down to it, no matter what you do... sucks you spent so much finding that out. Still doesn't make the new Alty SE-R any less desirable to me...
Yeah, but my car before the Altima 2.5S was '98 Accord LX(2.3 vtec). With H&R springs and proper tires, it was a joy to drive. You looked for corners with that car, I'm relieved to see straights with my Altima. :lol:

P.S. I think I've seen just one Altima SE-R, ever. 2.5s are all over the place!

Two things about this Altima.

1. The tailights look better on the last model 👎
  2. The interior is cool, simplistic yet functional. Like the interior of most Acuras:tup:

I honestly didn't see a huge need to change the one they had, but I guess it's been 5 model years or so.

All in all, pretty good. From an estetic point of view.

Back