2008-09 NBA Season

• Thread starter Giancarlo
  • 420 comments
:(

I'm rooting for the Cavs now. Not just because they're the hottest team in the NBA right now, but because I actually like their team a lot. And I doubt Orlando will make it much further, otherwise I would root for them instead. But they are facing a bruised Celtics, so who knows.

Rockets at Lakers tonight. Lots of predictions made that the Lakers will win. All the stats and predictions have ended, but it's always the real game that matters most. It is going to be tough to take down the Lakers, especially at the Staples Center. This is the ultimate gut check.

Rockets took care of the L.A. Lakers, with the score of 100-92. But it's just the first game. It's going to be a physical series. Congratulations also to the Orlando Magic on winning 95-90 in Boston.

I want to thank Charles Barkley for supporting my point after the Lakers lost to the Rockets at home. Charles was stating how often the Lakers will blow a big 20+ point lead and give their opponent a chance to come back. This is one of the biggest reason why my friends who are die hard Lakers fan hate it when I say "o yea! It is going to be (fill team here) and the Lakers aka "We love to blow BIG LEADS!"

I find it very interesting how many will say "the Lakers are relaxing. They know what they are doing." Then the other team catches up and now you are panicking!!!:nervous: Why can't they just hold or extend the lead like what Boston and Cleveland do? Once those two team have build a large lead, they continue to demolish.

Since I am from southern CA, it is natural for me to root for the Lakers, but right now I am taking my head out of that spot and rooting for the Caveliers. They are HUNGRY for a championship! These Caveliers will shoot down the Atlanta Hawks and eat them "Well DONE!" on a plate. Then they will move on to a tougher Orlando Magic or a bruised Celtics. Lakers better try harder than last nights effort if they want to see a Finals. If not, go back home.

Well, the Rockets are usually known for having one really bad quarter. They can seldom put away teams. I was honestly shocked that the Rockets could come into Staples Center and play this hard. The Rockets have to keep playing like this against the Lakers to have a chance at taking down the L.A. Lakers and to make the Western Conference Finals.

I honestly think the Rockets/Lakers series could last at least six games. Tonight's matches are as follows:

* Atlanta at Cleveland
* Dallas at Denver (Game 2 of Western Conference Semi-Finals; DEN leads 1-0)

Both matches on TNT. Care to make any predictions? By the way, if the Rockets and Mavericks advance, it would make a nice all-Texas Western Conference final.

I came in here just to let you guys know that the entire stadium audience of the Cavs vs. Hawks game just got Rick Rolled over the speaker system. It was...epic, and hilarious.

Anyways, I only get into the NBA during the finals. I'm upset that Boston don't seem to have it together this year, but I do like to root for the Cavs. Cleveland had this game in the bag tonight. I think they're champion material this year. All I have to say is that my favorite team, Boston, better get their act together. And what the heck happened to Garnett? He get kicked out or injured or something?

I came in here just to let you guys know that the entire stadium audience of the Cavs vs. Hawks game just got Rick Rolled over the speaker system. It was...epic, and hilarious.

Dang! I missed it! I was in class gahhh!

And what the heck happened to Garnett? He get kicked out or injured or something?

He got a knee injury sadly. Boston really needed him on the court.

BTW, Atlanta Hawks = 72 Cleveland Caves = 99

What a blowout!

Time to get back to work! Tonight's matches:

* Orlando at Boston
* Houston at L.A. Lakers

Everyone talks about Game 2 being the key game in playoff basketball. I still think the Lakers are better than my Rockets, but it will be interesting to see how this series would go. If the Rockets win Game 2 (I'm not counting on it), that may just motivate the Lakers to go pound my Rockets in H-Town for Games 3 and 4.

Enjoy tonight's games!

This was a PHYSICAL game. My Rockets must have really pissed off the Lakers after the Game 1 win. Houston couldn't hit baskets for spells. We ended up losing 111-98. I know Game 2 is a very important game, but for the Rockets to play like this in a Game 2, they need to get infinitely better. Damn it, play like you have a chance to BEAT the Lakers. Not contend, not hang around, but BEAT. This s:censored: has better improve for the remaining games if you want to stand a chance to advance to the Western Conference Finals. It's a best-of-seven series, but playing like we did only infuriates me. And worse than that? Von Wafer basically talked bad about the coach and got himself an early shower. I love Von Wafer, but that was a low blow.

I do rail my teams at times, but that's only because I know teams can play much better than they do. This was NOT our best effort, and I sure as hell hope the Rockets can play a hell of a lot better than what lackluster effort they've put forth tonight. Play to win, damn you! Friday night's game better be MUCH improved, or we're out of the playoffs.

Tonight's action:

* Boston at Orlando
* Los Angeles Lakers at Houston

I heard that the Lakers/Rockets game is going to be officiated closely to make sure both teams keep their cool on the court. BOTH series are tied at 1-1, so any team that may go 3-1 after Games 3 and 4 could play a pivotal role in how each series shapes out. But still, Game 3 tonight for all four teams involved. Enjoy tonight's games!

My confidence in my boys beating the Lakers just becomes very less likely the more the Rockets play the Lakers like they are the Trail Blazers. I know the Lakers are a tough ticket, but they haven't played like they want it. They basically made it look like the win in Los Angeles was a fluke win. We ended up losing 108-94. Rockets need to force a Game 6 by winning Sunday.

Maybe it's the ESPN factor, where Houston teams can't win nationally-televised games. Lakers played great, but the Rockets can do a hell of a lot more. I hope the Rockets realize this and play the game with promise rather than constantly failing like my Astros in baseball (though the Astros won tonight). I'll stop chatting on the Rockets if they don't advance. I know the Lakers aren't an easy team to go against, but they need a serious reality check.

I know playoffs are high tension and everything, but watching LA and Houston go at it, is like basketball mixed in with episodes of Cops. I thought these guys were in the "professional" basketball league? There's more to being a good player than being able to hit jumpshots and making free throws, such as how you conduct yourself on the court. I get tired of players protesting after every single little call. The refs made up their mind, yelling at them isn't going to do anything except possibly get you a technical, but I guess that's the NBA for you. I will continue to watch because there is some good basketball in between all the BS, I just wish there was a little more in a game. We'll see how the Cavs do tonight.

Chuck Daly died recently. He was responsible for being the nice guy for Detroit's bad boys that won the NBA (not world) championships in 1989 and 1990. My thoughts and prayers go out to him, his friends, his family, and all whom have known and loved him.

[UPDATE] Yao Ming (broken left foot) is out of the playoffs. And with this... we're screwed. Game 4 is tomorrow afternoon. If we get lucky and win Game 4, we'll now need to go to LA to try to take one more game at the Lakers to go up 3-2. But for right now, I'm... beating the Lakers (to me) has gone from probable to impossible.

Most of the sports people usually have this as Lakers/Cavaliers without giving much credence to any of the remaining playoff teams. Dallas is now up 3-0 over Denver after their 116-115 victory.

Last edited:
Watching Game 4 of the Laker/Rockets game right now. 4 to 17 LOL. There is something about the Lakers inconsistency in playing basketball that troubles me. Sometimes they play really well, sometimes they just play poorly. Good luck doing that with Cleveland.

The Lakers never led at all this entire game. I'm so proud of my Rockets playing without Yao Ming, Dikembe Mutumbo, and/or Tracy McGrady. We won 99-87. Lakers did try to make a game of it, though we were up by as much as 29. Game 5 of this series will be in Los Angeles on Tuesday.

Meanwhile, the Boston at Orlando match will start later tonight.

Cleveland sweeps the Atlanta Hawks 87-77. In Dallas, the Mavs still have life. They edge out the Denver Nuggets in a 119-117 slugfest. Cleveland will get the winner of Orlando/Boston (series tied 2-2). The winner of Dallas/Denver will meet the champion of Houston/Lakers.

Tomorrow night's matches:
* Orlando at Boston (Game 5)
* Houston at Los Angeles Lakers (Game 5)

BOTH series are tied 2-2, so victory is crucial in both series.

Never stop rooting for your favorite team, but it's tough to do so when my Rockets lost 118-78. Maybe this is just a contest of "who can beat the other team's ass so bad that they'd s:censored: in their pants?". Now Game 6 is coming to Houston Thursday night. If the Rockets lose this game, then they're out of the playoffs... then I don't care who wins the NBA title. My Rockets got me to believe in Games 1 and 4. But after tonight, they need to win. Not win convincingly, but win just to force a Game 7 (albeit a Game 7) in L.A. I mean, I'd rather see the Rockets take on the Clippers and beat them by 40 than see Rockets/Lakers. I stopped watching the TNT broadcast minutes before halftime, then stopped listening to the radio broadcast on 610 AM here in Houston. The rest of the material was just on watching the constantly-updated scores on Yahoo! Sports.

Damn it Rockets... BEAT their asses Thursday night in H-Town!!! And if you make it, do it again Sunday in L.A. Win by at least 1. Doesn't have to be pretty, just WIN!!! Damn it to hell!

Well, this is my Rockets' last chance. They need to force Game 7 by winning tonight. Then, they have to win Game 7 IN LOS ANGELES if they want to see their season (and mine) continue. A miracle needs to happen against a game Lakers squad.

Looks like they pulled through for you John. They played real well tonight. Not as good later in the game but still pretty decent.

I can't say the same for the other game though. The Celtics had the first half and the Magic had the second half. Both teams didn't play super well either.

We'll see how these four teams pan out on Sunday. 👍

^ Yeah, they did. They didn't play very well in the third quarter, but still played hard enough to deny the Lakers from getting on any legitimate hot streak. We won at L.A. before in this series. Now the arduous task for the Rockets is to try to go into Los Angeles' house and knock them off if they want the opportunity to play Denver in the Western Conference finals. The idea I take away is: "people made such a big deal about the Rockets not making it past the first round. Now that they've gotten past the first round, how much further can the Rockets alone go?"

We forced a Game 7. NOW what? You have to go into Los Angeles' house. Even Aaron Brooks just said "we don't have a chance, but we'll keep playing." That's all you can do. We have no Yao, no Mutumbo, no McGrady... so we have to go with our cast of characters to try to make it into the Western Conference Finals. My faith is incredibly low that the Rockets will pull this one out, even if Game 7 goes into Overtime on Sunday. My faith in them winning again at Los Angeles is low, but if they can pull it off, then more power to the Rockets.

If the Rockets beat Kobe without McGrady and Ron Artest, I'll be happy. I like the Rockets, but I don't like T-Mac and Artest.

Well, it's all-or-nothing now. Either the Lakers will advance to meet Denver, or the Rockets (without Yao, T-Mac, or Dikembe Mutumbo) will take on Denver. It all depends on who plays harder and finishes better. I want my Rockets to win, obviously. But it's going to be tough in the future if the Rockets advance.

Again... it's all or nothing. Either the Lakers or Rockets will have an early vacation. It's a 48-minute marathon to determine who gets the chance to play Denver in the Western Conference Finals.

As for the Eastern Conference, it's Boston vs. Orlando. Something tells me that Orlando will win and meet Cleveland. Boston doesn't seem to have as much star power right now in taking on LeBron and the Cavs. We'll see how this series goes at the conclusion of the Western Conference series.

Well now, the Rockets' season is over as they failed to show up, losing 89-70. I'm not surprised we lost, but what I was upset about was just how much the Rockets couldn't hit a damned shot most of the game or all game long. On top of that, I've taken issue with the sports people choosing the Lakers, almost without hesitation. Like nobody giving my team a chance. This lost hurt, but I'm mad at a lot of things.

Now... I've stopped caring about the NBA Finals. If my team isn't in a position to play for a title, I stop caring. That's my pro sports aspect. And so... good luck to whomever wins the NBA Title. I'm done... and so are my Rockets. Now if you'll excuse me, I have some things to break in my room and my house and cry until my eyes fall out.

I've stopped caring since my Rockets been out of the playoffs. Anyhow, here's your NBA matchup for the title:

Lakers vs... Magic

Nike and the NBA were somewhat trying to market a Lakers/Cavaliers matchup for the title. (buzzer) Ain't gonna happen! The Magic beat the Cavs 103-90. I was planning on doing a video sharing my criticisms of people and the NBA for thinking it was going to be Lakers/Cavaliers for the NBA title. However, that video hasn't materialized. See if I do get to complete a video on my YouTube page.

Congratulations to the L.A. Lakers and the Orlando Magic.

Who else thinks LeBron is a punk? Dwyane Wade shoulda been MVP for sportsmanship.

The season's over. The Los Angeles Lakers won it all. Congratulations, Lakers... now my Rockets will have to whip your tails 50,000 times over!

Yay. Congrats to Phil Jackson for being the best coach ever. That guy is amazing.

I guess Shaq's Van Gundy theory holds true after all.

Latest Posts

Back