2008/2009 Carling Cup Thread <Updated Sept 23rd>

• Thread starter <_Spike_>
  • 49 comments
I just hope we get a decent draw which we can bank on for the next few months. That'd be nice

11:45, ITV1. Watch us. See how we can play ;)

Apparently our keeper makes a World Class save right before half time.

Last edited:
🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬:censored:ITV!

They didn't even show us.

I cannot believe I sat there like a tit watching highlights of matches I couldn't give two hoots about, only for it not to be shown! What a joke.

Last edited:
Not that I remember.

I have gained alot of respect for the Bolton fans. Reading the BBC606 message boards and there fan forums they have really praised us and defended us on the issue with ITV not showing us. I have alot of time for Bolton fans now.

Last edited:
Well done on Northampton being Bolton, sounded like a fascinating game, and if you are getting the praise from their fans, you MUST have played well. Now to see who you'll get in the 3rd Round. :sly:

Just got back from the game tonight at Craven Cottage, really exciting game, with us (Fulham) eventually winning 3-2 against League One Leicester. Took the lead in the 1st half, which we completely ran, and looked good money for the win. However, they then brought on a little Ivorian winger, Max Alain Gradel, who caused us havoc! :scared: 3 minutes into the second half, and we were 2-1 down, and back behind square one! As the game went on, Leicester defended deeper and deeper, giving us more and more room, and we looked better for it. They had the occasional chance, and still did cause trouble on the counter, but it was now our game to win. We could have had a penalty on the hour mark with Zamora being pushed in the area, and then had a goal disallowed for offside on the 74th minute, not sure if it was or not, but it was very very tight. Time ticked on, and it was the 84th minute before Jimmy Bullard played a neat little one-two, and smashed home an amazing shot into the corner from 25-30 yards. Cue celebrations from me and the whole of the Hammersmith Stand. :dopey:

So, extra time? I was resigned to another 30 minutes of worrying about our defence, but just before we entered stoppage time, we thought Leicester had again taken the lead, but Steve Howard's goal was (rightly or not, I don't know) ruled out for a foul on the keeper. End of action we all thought. Instead, we stormed back up the other end, and after a half-cleared cross, the ball fell to club captain, Danny Murphy, who drove it home from 20 yards, with a deflection on the way. :)

Overall, we deserved it. We had our little panic for 10 minutes after half time, and looked shaky, but these are things that we can now address in the 2 and a half week international break. Once Andy Johnson is fit, I'm sure this will help boost the goalscoring tally, as all goals tonight came from the midfield. Bullard played poorly tonight, despite the astonishing goal, and some of our passing was a bit wayward. But the fielding of a strong squad, virtually our first team, bar one or two, shows we are up for the Carling Cup. An interesting start to the campaign, but we played the better football and did warrant the victory. Now to improve, and looking forward to Round Three! 👍

Joe

United beat Middlesborough 3-1 but unfortunately Possebon was subject to an awful challenge by Pogatetz. Pogatetz lunged in and won the ball but in the process lifted his leg about a foot and a half off the ground and slammed into Possebons leg with his studs showing. Looks like a broken leg. Incidents like this overshadow sometimes good games, he deservedly got a straight red for it.

I knew I'd forgotten to update something.

Blegh, Town lost 4-1 to Wigan but we so didn't deserve that...heck we probably deserved extra time at the worst. But that was the difference...so many chances, Wigan were clinical in theirs...we weren't

Well it's Manchester United v Tottenham Hotspur in the final. I am a Man utd fan so I am happy we are in, but so sad that my local team Burnley didn't make it.

After overturning a three goal disadvantage and with only two minutes left, they must have thought the were going to Wembley, football is a tough game sometimes.:ouch: I feel for all the Burnley fans today, but the club must take credit, to knock out Fulham, Chelsea, Arsenal and nearly Tottenham is a superb effort.👍

Come on United, you must win the final now, Tottenham just don't deserve to after the performance they put in yesterday, they were so lucky.

However, Burnley practically beat Tottenham, so they've beaten every London team apart from West Ham in the Premier League this season.

However, Burnley practically beat Tottenham, so they've beaten every London team apart from West Ham in the Premier League this season.

I suppose in the match they did win, it's a shame they didn't win the tie. A Burnley v Manchester United final would have been my dream final, oh well bring it on Spurs.

The final on Sunday, Can 'Arry do it again? Win a cup with an underdog team.
I'd like to think Tottenham pull a shock here. So I'll say 2-1 spurs.

Supposedly we're starting Gibson, Wellbeck, Anderson and possibly Fabio. none of thoes are bad players but none or the finished article yet. If Gibson starts in centre mid instead of out wide then I'm sure he'll have a good game, same with Fabio if he plays I'll expect a good show from him. Anderson has been a bit hit and miss this season so we'll see, and Wellbeck seems to drift in and out of games a lot. He also seems to get knakered part way into the second half of a game, really knackered. The best I've seen him play was 45 mins on the right wing, he was there the second half too but b then he'd lost his energy.

I like both Gibson and Wellbeck. For me they won't be the youth players that Man U once produced (Scholes, Giggs, Beckham, Butt ect) But they'll be a solid premier league players.

Wellbeck seems to drift in and out of games a lot. He also seems to get knakered part way into the second half of a game, really knackered. The best I've seen him play was 45 mins on the right wing, he was there the second half too but b then he'd lost his energy.

I'd say the same too, Welbeck has most definitely been on the form of his life so far, though.

Not a bad game at all. Have to say Tottenham worked there socks off today really should have won it. Im not sure how to describe Tottenham but from the sublime Modric to the ridiculous Pavlechenko. Today Modric was Man of the Match. He worked he ran he made chances he has some tricks up his sleeve and was brilliant. Closely followed by Ekotto. I've been a critic of him but today he nullified any threat from Ronaldo until the 93rd min and thats not bad at all. Bent didn't do alot but he worked like a mad man and that sums up Tottenham today what they lacked in quality they made up in work rate.

United weren't that impressive but I think played really well. Evans yet again impressed even when he switched to right back and Rio had a solid game. Scholes was a little slow and got caught a few times but none the less played well. My man for United was Anderson. When he came on he really sparked some life into the game and united.

Hang on, Tottenham should have won it. I dissagree with that. They spent large parts of the game playing with 10 men behind the ball. They did attack in spurts for breif periods. I do agree we played dire today, it was one of the worst cup finals I can recall watching imo. I got more enjoyment from the final when chelsea beat us in extra time, it was a much better game. The truth is we had no presence up front, Tevez had a bad game, Wellbeck is just not really ready for first team football yet. He has moments but that's it, and none came today. Gibson didn't play too well. Nani are you okay had a fairly okay game, a good first hal and an average second half.

If Tottenham played to attack, and I mean to properly attack, to get a lot of players forwards I geniunely think they would have won that. But they didn't. Lennon was beating Evra for fun, but he couldn't put the ball in the box. Evans had a shaky game for large periods. Commiting players forwards combined with Lennon getting top side of Evra throughout could have easilly forced a costly mistake by Evans today. But that wasn't the tactics Harry played. You can't expect to hold United off and win, it happens ever so occasionally but 9 times out of 10 the inevitable happens. It didn't tonight but we didn't have one proper centre forward on the pitch for most of the game. Tevez is a second striker, I don't know why we didn't have Berbatov on the bench. Anderson played well when he came on, that was the highlight of the game for me.

I'm glad we won but dissapointed in the manner we did. I don't think tottenham deserved to win because they were so much more concerned with defending than trying to score whereas even though we played badly we were the consistently attacking team. If they had attacked us properly and not just for 10 mins each half and won the game then I'd have applauded hem for it.

Back