2008 Best Car Series: Aston Martin DB9 vs Alfa Romeo 8C

  • Thread starter Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 95 comments
  • 5,738 views

Brit vs Italian: Who Shall Win?


  • Total voters
    80
  • Poll closed .
JCE
Maybe the transmission lets it down? Because in reality if they both had proper 6spd manuals the DB9 would infact eek out a victory with that 100tq advantage. The DB9 is an autobox with flappy paddles yes? While the 8C uses Ferrari's awsome manual flappy paddles from the 430?

The DB9's torque advantage will only show when aerodynamic drag starts becoming an issue and POSSIBLY propel the DB9 to a higher maximum velocity.

Otherwise the 8C with its power:weight advantage will win in any straight line contest of acceleration.
 
And the AM keeps the lead firmly in it's grasp.
 
Yes it does, I don't think it will lose now. *Runs off to check who it will likely be versing*
 
Yes it does, I don't think it will lose now. *Runs off to check who it will likely be versing*

Should be interesting. It would have to be up against a pretty dull car for me to vote the DB9 in the next round.
 
Should be interesting. It would have to be up against a pretty dull car for me to vote the DB9 in the next round.

It will be the CTS by my prediction unless the Chinese car wins... Tough choice, but I think I'll have to go with the CTS on that one.
 
It's taken me ages to decide on this one, and I've missed the voting deadline by a long shot, but...

The Alfa is achingly beautiful while the Aston looks much the same as all other Astons.
The Alfa is assembled with Flair while the Aston appears to be hewn from Quality.
Every petrolhead should own an Alfa, while the Aston has a reputation of 'footballers car'.

...In the end I would have voted for the Aston. Flair and beauty make the Alfa a better work of art, but this is the best car series where quality and engineering should matter. The Aston wins in these areas, thus should be considered the better car.

Which would I own?
If I was spending my own money - neither. A good sportscar and plenty of change would be my choice, but if I had to own one of these it would be the Alfa. It may be a lesser car, but its exclusivity and the Astons reputation make it the one I'd rather have.
 
Back