2008 Driver Line Up

• Thread starter Lee
  • 340 comments
I wouldn't be surprised either if Heikki would be able to keep up with Lewis as well, if not beat him...

He wasn’t beating Fisi that much. I still expect Heikki (and Lewis, for that matter) to improve during the 2008 season, he still has a few niggles to work out.

he still has a few niggles to work out.

Thank god for online dictionaries, that choice of words had me feeling weird for a moment :nervous:. :)

I'm hoping Heikki will be able to match Lewis' pace, but I'm not overconfident with him becoming champion next year.

However it would be great to have a 2-way finnish battle for the title :).

Give it time, we will rule the world eventually (the racing part atleast).

I can honesty say I can see that last part happening. I mean, is motorsport something you learn in primary school or something?

I can honesty say I can see that last part happening. I mean, is motorsport something you learn in primary school or something?

Well, yes, actually. Micheal Schumacher started driving a kart at the age of 4. The latest breed of drivers start racing karts for championships from the age of 8, which I think is the minimum age for kart racing (here in the UK, not sure about elsewhere).

I think Kovalainen did really well this year. I don't think he had anything like the cosseting and preparation that Lewis had, and he went into the race team against an established driver. Whilst I don't rate Fisichella, he has put down some decent guys, and I think it would have been daunting for Heikki to come into that environment. Add in a fairly scruffy Australian GP weekend, and (inexcusable) public criticism from the team boss, and it would have been easy for him to let his head drop and never recover. However, by the mid point of the season, when the grind really sets in, he started to go quicker and quicker.

I think that Heikki and Lewis will go well together at McLaren.

He also finished every race but the last one. Which does count for something in this insane season. And he fought a Ferrari for a podium-position.

In terms of awesomeness, he rates very highly on my list.

You probably already knew this ...
Ralf Schumacher takes sabbatical
27 December 2007

Ralf Schumacher expects he will have to take a sabbatical in 2008. The German doesn't expect to race in Formula 1 next year, but doesn't rule out a year in a different racing series.

"I will take a break from Formula 1 in 2008 as things look right now," Ralf Schumacher told Motorsport-total.com. "I've got three difficult years at Toyota behind me and Force India is not an option for me. The team starts from scratch so that isn't the right option for me I think."

Schumacher could return to Formula One in 2009. "Theoretically it is possible to return in 2009 but it won't be easy. Formula 1 is not waiting for anyone."
I could sing!

But I won't, largely because I sound like a dial-up modem trying to cough up a hairball.

You probably already knew this ...I could sing!

But I won't, largely because I sound like a dial-up modem trying to cough up a hairball.

Well at least this confirms the rumor. But at least he made the right choice since he sucks nowadays. No offense, being said the 3rd best driver on the field, yet got beaten by a teammate and rarely qualified into Q3, there must be something wrong there. But hopefully, he won't get that stupid idea of joining NASCAR with all the other former F1 drivers...... :scared:

http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2008/01/04/fia-reveals-2008-f1-drivers-and-teams/

FIA reveals 2008 drivers and teams.

Notable additions, Davidson and Sato seem to be confirmed at Aguri and at Force India, Nog niet bekend sit as driver 2.*

*i know its not a driver but its funny.

Nog niet bekend ? What the 🤬? Don't tell me thats the guys name. Never heard of him though. How good is this driver anyways. Surely must have been really lucky to get the seats out of the possible 7 tough drivers out there (or was it 5) Well no matter, just a few more months before the season starts again..... :D

Such a shame for ralf schumacher, he must have been the 3rd best tester for force india :D

Nog niet bekend ? What the 🤬? Don't tell me thats the guys name. Never heard of him though. How good is this driver anyways. Surely must have been really lucky to get the seats out of the possible 7 tough drivers out there (or was it 5) Well no matter, just a few more months before the season starts again..... :D
As Bee said, it's not a name. It's a joke; it means Not Yet Confirmed in Dutch.

Smooth move Roldan..

GPUpdate.net
Rodriguez reveals: Force India signed Fisichella

Roldan Rodriguez has confirmed the Force India Formula 1 team has signed Giancarlo Fisichella instead of the Spaniard himself. Rodriguez has always said he was close to becoming Force India's second driver, but on the day before the official announcement was scheduled he reveals the team's decision.

At the Force India Formula 1 team they had only confirmed Adrian Sutil for the upcoming season so far. In India the team scheduled a press conference on Thursday evening to announce the official line-up for 2008. But Roldan Rodriguez already revealed at his website Sutil will be partnered in 2008 by Giancarlo Fisichella.

Fisichella has been rumoured to become Force India's driver since the final test for the team at Jerez in December, but had yet to be confirmed. The scheduled press conference has now been slightly spoiled by Rodriguez who said he could not compete against someone like Fisichella for the Force India F1 seat.

Rodriguez said: "My future is now very clear. We've always kept in the back of our mind that as soon as Fisichella was replaced by Nelson Piquet it would be difficult for me and now he is the chosen one. For me it is impossible to compete with someone who has competed in over 200 races. The team decided to go for experience instead of a young driver.

"I am still growing as a driver and it is now very likely that I will compete another season in the GP2 series."

Rodriguez was Force India's test driver in November and December.

http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2008/01/09/rodriguez-reveals-force-india-signed-fisichella/Story.

Spoiler. :grumpy:

Fisi must be really happy now. I mean I thought Fisi would be only race for a team under these conditions:
1, do pay to drive, I get paid to drive.
2, I do not bring sponsors to the team, the team brings sponsors to me.
3, If I had 10 million bucks I'd stay home and watch F.1 on tv!

Well Team Force India must have to spend a lot to deal with Fisi's conditions. Either that or Fisi just takes the offer because he is desperate for a drive....

Force India are running on a budget of $100m or so in 2008. Which is considerably higher than the various Jordan team owners have budgeted for in recent years.

So they can afford to, you know, give their drivers money.

Force India are running on a budget of $100m or so in 2008. Which is considerably higher than the various Jordan team owners have budgeted for in recent years.

So they can afford to, you know, give their drivers money.

:eek: What!!!?
Thats a lot of money were talking about! But still, I'm not so sure how this would turn out. They could have used the money to spend more on the cars rather than the driver, but then again, maybe Fisi would help the team out with his experience in F1. The thing is, how competitive the team will be when the season starts? I can't blame them if they were last on the grid, but hopefully Force India can give the Aguri's more of a challenge this year than what Spyker manage to do last year......

Back