2010 Brazilian Grand Prix

• Thread starter Akmuq
  • 390 comments
Ireland
Ireland
The__Luke
After an eventful race in Korea which the two Red Bulls and Jenson Button failed to score, Fernando Alonso and Lewis Hamilton saw the opportunity and took it.
Now we're at the Brazilian Grand Prix, a favourite for a lot of people.
18brazilencmyk300dpi.jpg

Season standings:
1st:Fernando Alonso (Scuderia Ferrari)-231pts
2nd:Mark Webber (Red Bull-Renault)-220 points
3rd:Lewis Hamilton (McLaren Mercedes)-210pts
4th:Sebastian Vettel (Red Bull-Renault)-206 pts

Will we see the title decided here?It's been decided here for the last 4 seasons.
Or will it go down do the wire in Abu Dhabi? Fernando Alonso is the only man who can clinch the title here and he will if:
He wins the race and Mark Webber finishes 5th or lower.
He finishes 2nd, Webber finishes 8th or lower and Hamilton or Vettel don't end up winning.
He finishes 3rd, Webber doesn't get any points and he finishes ahead of Hamilton and Webber.

Red Bull could also get the constructors championship here with a 1-2 finish.

Here is the weather for this weekend.http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/5010

Last edited:
Dude. It's not Tuesday. The only reason why I've created threads on a Monday in the past is because it's been Tuesday for me because I'm a stone's throw from the International Date Line.

No offence to you akmuq but interludes OP's are better quality, more informing etc

This particular thread makes my ps3 browser lag too.

Dude. It's not Tuesday. The only reason why I've created threads on a Monday in the past is because it's been Tuesday for me because I'm a stone's throw from the International Date Line.

Whoops sorry. I thought they were allowed on a Monday.
What happens now? Does it get locked?

No offence to you akmuq but interludes OP's are better quality, more informing etc

This particular thread makes my ps3 browser lag too.
Ok then I won't make these in the future. Interludes is a very good thread-maker in the formula 1 section. I'll leave it up to him in the future.

The only difference between my posts and yours is I include an opinion and pretty colours. I really just based them off the format of the person who used to do them before me. Also, if I made this thread and/or Abu Dhabi, there's a very real risk that my thread will largely consist of "GRRR, FERRARI BAD ALONSO ENGINE DIE DIE DIE" or some riff thereof.

Also, I'm pretty much retired from doing it. I'm moving into postgrad work at university next year and I'm also picking up two major positions around my college, so I'm not sure if I'm going to have time to post regularly, much less beat the rush to create race threads. They take way too long to format.

Okay then, here's my prediction.
1st: Hamilton
2nd:Webber
3rd:Kubica
4th:Alonso
5th:Rosberg

Vettel to have a poor race.
It doesn't have saturday's and sunday's weather yet but here's the weather for the week.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/5010
It's raining today and on friday, but sunny on Tuesday,Wednesday and Thursday.
Pretty inconsistant. Don't be surprised if rains comes on saturday or sunday.

I just hope there will be no Ferrari games this race

At this point if you expect them to let Massa stay ahead of Alonso in the race you are delusional. Same can be said for McLaren at this point too. Button is realistically out of the running so McLaren will have Button being the support role for Hamilton.

Red Bull will probably once again be the dominant team here seeing as the track has a lot of turns which really is the RB's strong point so I don't see Alonso clinching the title here and the championship going down to the last race.

Who gives a damn about the tuesday rule anyway? Often enough threads such as Funny Pic Thread are restarted every 100 pages so I don't see why an extra 10 posts 6 days before the race instead of 5 can be a problem. Ok don't start making them straight after but you get my point.

Who gives a damn about the tuesday rule anyway? Often enough threads such as Funny Pic Thread are restarted every 100 pages so I don't see why an extra 10 posts 6 days before the race instead of 5 can be a problem. Ok don't start making them straight after but you get my point.

Seriously. It's almost as if people want to fight over who is entitled to create the thread ("dude god damn it, what are you doing creating this thread a day early!") :lol: Not only that, but often times as we draw nearer to the next GP, discussion that regards to upcoming race is then brought up in the previous GP thread from over a week ago, so I don't really see how creating a GP thread a day early (on a Monday, which makes more sense) is such a big deal :dunce: But that's just my 2 cents on the matter

Last edited:

Rules say Monday is fine, no clue where Tuesday came from.

Do not begin a new race thread until the Monday before the event.

Now that the pissing match is over, can we cover the race events in this thread?

It's Tuesday somewhere, and if we really want every thread to be a cookie-cutter of the next by the same individual, it would be a blog, not a public forum!

I like Red Bull, but I would never create bias in the OP. And who's to say you wouldn't create any bias towards Renault?

I have to admit, you've got me there. :lol:
I was only messing around with you anyways, I don't care if you make it or not.

Guys, quit it. OT, unnecessary and immature.

Anyway, Webber (despite my patriotism and bias) is usually excellent here, as is Vettel. The RB6, especially with it's F-Duct thingy actually working, should work at least as well as the RB5 did last year.

Logically, though, it should actually be a Ferrari circuit, with the straights and braking, so Fernando shouldn't do too badly, and the Interlagospecialboy Massa might be annoying.

Brazil. The championship deciding track. The track doesn't look like it'll be a Red Bull track. The long straight, and the slow speed stuff, are more McLaren and Ferrari favouring respectively. This is the track that Massa always does well at, so he may be a championship spoiler. Victory is a toss up between Alonso, Hamilton and Massa, and maybe Vettel. He's been the faster RB driver recently. Team orders will come into play here, if Massa is ever ahead of Alonso, or if Button is ahead of Hamilton, or even if Vettel is ahead of Webber.

On a different note, Bernie says the new teams are an embarrassment to F1.

Seriously? What is he expecting of them? A Brawn GP-style debut season? I have to agree on the part about Richard Branson though. He needs to really put some money into that moving chicane of his. He says the Virgin name will attract sponsors, that's not enough. Virgin could've done so much better this year.

Last edited:
Actually I agree with him. Lotus more than deserve a future spot in the sport. Branson needs to quit being so cheap and inject some more money from his uber bank account into the Virgin team (something I said several months few months ago). And as for HRT, they are not a competent enough team to be in Formula 1 IMO, and I agree with Bernie in that they only detract from the sport - as they are basically not even a contender to anyone - so why compete?). Not even one update to the car throughtout the season shows you how serious they are.

Virgin could've done so much better this year.
Don't let the numbers fool you - Virgin have been the best team this year. Their development buget was put back when they found the problems with the fuel tank, and it took them five races to correct the fault and prepare the car for a proper development scedule, and they had originally intended. Despite a five-race heardstart on the developmental front, Virgin caught up with Lotus at Silverstone (Glock finished two laps down, but was in sight of Trulli and Kovalainen because Webber got him on the last lap). They've developed the car faster than Lotus and Hispania did theirs, they've proven that a CFD-exclusive car is possible and they've come in drastically under budget.

Virgin have done pretty well this year. Hopefully for them they won't get any problems next year. But what Bernie said was completely wrong. Besides, Lotus and Virgin aren't to far away from the people in the mid-field.

And as for HRT, they are not a competent enough team to be in Formula 1 IMO, and I agree with Bernie in that they only detract from the sport - as they are basically not even a contender to anyone - so why compete?). Not even one update to the car throughtout the season shows you how serious they are.

Why waste resources updating a car you didn't design and don't really understand? Sure you could attempt to pick apart Dallara's design and modify it from there, but do you really think it was worth Hispania spending the money to do that?
Lets also keep in mind that it was designed and produced by Dallara originally, HRT didn't/don't have their own windtunnel. They don't really have a proper base as far as I understand, its mostly Kolles' resources being used.

People aren't giving Hispania much credit really. Of course it doesn't look great for them financially at the moment but they have turned up at all the races and although they have been off the pace, they have been reliable and quite organised.

HRT clearly have some money otherwise they wouldn't have turned up at all the races. Whether they will be in F1 in 2011 remains to be seen but its not as gloom and doom as some are suggesting.
I also have to give major 👍 to Colin Kollles for really saving that team and turning it into a somewhat professional and organised team. If it wasn't for him, they wouldn't have made Bahrain.

Also a word on the drivers (and the car): Senna has actually been moderately impressive over the season, almost always being ahead of his teammates and dicing with Virgins on two occasions (Turkey and somewhere else I can't remember right now). Chandhok also did ok, Yamamoto has actually been reliable and Klien was impressive.
The car itself obviously looks dreadful to control but even so, its been reliable. HRT have the most double-finishes out of the new teams. At one point they were more reliable than Sauber!

HRT are certainly not the clowns people like to portray them as. They are not anywhere near the lows of Andrea Moda or that type. They are more like Super Aguri. Although a 4 year-old Arrows is better than a Dallara :lol:.

Last edited:
Andrea Moda didn't pre-qualify for a single race. That's how bad they were. They must of been like 10 seconds a lap slower.

People aren't giving Hispania much credit really. Of course it doesn't look great for them financially at the moment but they have turned up at all the races and although they have been off the pace, they have been reliable and quite organised.
Yeah, I expect them to be more competitive next year. Perhaps not running with the midfield, but maybe about where Lotus and Virgin are now. If I were Colin Kolles, the long game is what I'd be playing, and do a Ross Brawn redirecting funds to next year's car early on (though not expecting the same resurgence as Brawn).

@legardj: Hispania announce deal with Williams for gearbox for 2011, to complement Cosworth engine. Finances, drivers, technical leadership...?

And just when I was going to say some announcements for 2011 would help grow some confidence. :P

autosport
The Williams team has announced that it will supply transmission systems to Hispania Racing from the 2011 season.

The move will see the Spanish squad leave Xtrac to use the gearbox produced by the Grove-based squad.

Williams said the deal will extend for the life-cycle of the current Cosworth engine technology.

Both teams are currently using Cosworth engines.

"This is a logical partnership given Williams and Hispania's mutual relationship with Cosworth," said Williams's CEO Alex Burns.

"Our gearbox technology has consistently proven itself as both competitive and reliable, and hence this agreement will be a positive development for both organisations."

HRT team boss Colin Kolles added: "This technical partnership is a significant step forward for Hispania Racing HRT F1 Team to improve its performance.

"We are very happy to do this with an engineering company and race team like Williams F1 which has an impressive track record and astonishing heritage."

Hispania made its Formula 1 debut this season, but has struggled at the back of the field as the development of its car has been minimal throughout the year.

The Williams deal, however, will be a boost for the team, which endured a lot of problems with hydraulics at the start of the season.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/87875

Latest Posts

Back