2010 GTP Automotive Calendar - Discussion(Updated) Submission End Date: November 9th

• Thread starter LongbowX
  • 89 comments
Canada
Titan

Tentative Date for the end of submissions for consideration: November 9th, 23:59GMT

Hello everyone, welcome to the discussion of the next part in the creation of this calendar. (An example of it you will find here: http://www.redbubble.com/products/configure/12865330)

You’ll find some of the original information below (the most relevant information at this stage – there is also a link to the original thread), and also the list of the current months taken, and the months available (which now they are all taken). Also, the “cover” as a month has been added, so if you want your image to be the cover....there will now be a poll about it.

What this thread is for, is any other ideas anyone has, and also to get the ball rolling on those photographs.

The best way to go about this, we think, is to post 3-5 (or more, if you really can't decide!) of the photographs you feel are worthy for this calendar (in the usual thumbnail form, 400px on the longest side). A poll will be created once we have everyone’s contribution, a massive multiple-choice poll: where everyone picks each individual photographer’s best shot of those 3-5(+) selections. The best of each photographer will be what makes it in to the calendar. Feel free to change your entries and get feedback on them, anytime before the poll goes up.

Some important notes on those images:

-High-resolution. When posting the image, try to have it at least 1200px on the longest side in the full view shot, since the calendar will be in high resolution. When your image is chosen, we will ask for it in the highest resolution possible – however for the sake of loading times, 1200px is good for the poll.

-There are no limits on editing.

Thank you all for reading this, and I hope I will be getting to see your submissions soon. The months available is listed below – so if you haven’t claimed it yet – please do so!

Also, if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

----

UPDATE

80Y 2C2, I'm going to reply to your PM here, since many of the people involved in this are concerned about my thoughts. As Giles has already mentioned, the legal issues involved are not insignificant, and I cannot let the GTPlanet name or logo be used for profit in this way. Regardless, I still think this is an excellent idea and demonstration of our community's skills, and would be happy to "officially" support it under the condition that I am able to give all proceeds as a gift to a charitable donation. This gift would be given in addition to the funds gained via my traditional Christmas Premium promotion with the Alzheimer's Association.

Bringing charity into the mix helps you guys feel good about giving your work away, I won't feel bad for profiting off your work, and visitors will be more likely to purchase and enjoy your photography - all while contributing to a worthy cause.

With that said, I do not have time to manage or organize any of this, and the legal issues which Giles raised is still a large concern for me. I'll keep checking in to see where this project is headed - it would certainly make a wonderful annual tradition for the community. :)

--

...Each contributing photographer will need to confirm that they are the copyright holder, and that they are granting a non-exclusive, revocable license for the commercial reproduction of their photograph in this calendar plus all marketing and other dissemination required in the process of creating, advertising and distribution of the calendar.

I'll put together some wording that allows each artist to retain copyright over their images whilst still allowing for the production of the calendar. Once everyone's happy, I suggest creating a final calendar thread where each person posts their selected image, including the license text.

Jordan, I'll draw your attention to this thread when I think we need you to make a ruling.

Opening Draft of Legalese
In submitting this image, I (real name):
• Certify that I made this image, retain copyright on it, and indemnify GTPlanet and other organisations involved in the production of the GTPlanet Automotive Calendar 2010 from damages arising should this statement be proven incorrect;
• Grant a non-exclusive, non-revocable licence for the reproduction of this image in the GTPlanet Automotive Calendar 2010, accepting that all profits from the GTPlanet Automotive Calendar 2010 will be donated to Jordan Greer for charitable donation in accordance with his will;
• Grant a non-exclusive, revocable licence for the reproduction of this image in association with the marketing and publicity of the GTPlanet Automotive Calendar 2010 and future editions of the calendar as may be required;
• Understand that this does not affect my right to distribute – for commercial gain or otherwise – this image in accordance with the copyright I hold upon it.

Anything with the word indemnify in it, is definitely legalese.
--

Stay tuned for more updates on this.

--------From the Original Post-----
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=121739

This calendar is equally everyone’s work and all your contributions are deeply appreciated.

The calendar would run through redbubble.com, where at least three GTP 'toggies already have accounts. Syntax Error (who, let’s be honest, is pretty damn nifty with a camera) said the quality is excellent.

There’s a chance we could get the calendar on the GTP homepage (currently in progress).

--------------

Contributors

-80Y 2C2

-Syntax error

-McLaren

-Scaff

-Speedster502

-LongbowX

-homeforsummer

-GilesGuthrie

-NISMO_SKYLINE

-Moglet

-SPhilli911

-TVR&Ferrari_Fan

------------------------------

Months

Cover- ???

-January - NISMO_SKYLINE

-February - Scaff

-March - McLaren

-April - homeforsummer

-May - LongbowX

-June - Syntax error

-July - 80Y 2C2

-August - TVR&Ferrari_Fan

-September - GilesGuthrie

-October - SPhilli911

-November - Speedster502

-December - Moglet (by default!)

------------------------------

Last edited:
Just a thought, but perhaps fairly obvious - might be wise if we post thumbnails to our large images rather than dropping them straight on the forum.

Also, what might be useful is any clues as to whether we're planning a portrait-style or a landscape-style calendar? This will obviously have an effect on the images I'll submit...

And another thing that's just occurred to me, perhaps we could offer links to more than just three images? With literally thousands of shots to choose from on my hard drive, I think I'm going to struggle to choose just three for people to vote from, and there's no guarantee that the three I pick would necessarily be the three that others think are best (to re-affirm this, the images of mine I usually consider so-so seem to do well in the auto photo comps, and yet the ones I consider some of my best ever don't often get many votes!)

Ok this is what I was thinking - in terms of ideas.

We are going to be having 13 people participate - which essentially means one on the cover that won't be featured in the calender. I feel very strongly about having some sort of GTP log on the front, as that's how we all met and thats what connects us - and it'll hopefully help us get sales from other GTP users. The calender has a large portait space on the cover, so the cover (I think) should merge the cover shot with the logo (I'm still waiting from a response from Jordan) into one image, so they can both go on the cover, or LongbowX had the idea of merging them into one image....like the dots of the globe being filled with an image with the same image slightly faded out in the background....or something.

There was talk from SPhilli911 that he would put a themed shot in. I (personally) don't like the idea as it isn't Autumn every where in the world, and I think the persons best, most dramatic shots would be more enjoyable for everybody 👍.

I probably have more ideas :S.....just got to remember them :D.

What sort of mark up do people want? The base price is AU$20 and that includes (if I'm not poorly mistaken) postage as well. Mark ups come as percentages and its going to be nigh on impossible to have a reasonable price that's profit's are divisable by 13, but I'm all ears :).

LongbowX - you should probably post the link to an example calender ;).

HFS - another way we could do it is everybody could submit their favourite shot and have that be in. It all has to be worked out.

Last edited:
Just a thought, but perhaps fairly obvious - might be wise if we post thumbnails to our large images rather than dropping them straight on the forum.

Yes it is fairly obvious, so obvious I forgot to put it in. :dunce: So it's now in, and it's the usual thumbnail format, 400px on the longest side.

Also, what might be useful is any clues as to whether we're planning a portrait-style or a landscape-style calendar? This will obviously have an effect on the images I'll submit...

The example is now in the description, but here we go: http://www.redbubble.com/products/configure/12865330. It suits both, as long as the landscape photograph isn't ridiculously wide.

And another thing that's just occurred to me, perhaps we could offer links to more than just three images? With literally thousands of shots to choose from on my hard drive, I think I'm going to struggle to choose just three for people to vote from, and there's no guarantee that the three I pick would necessarily be the three that others think are best (to re-affirm this, the images of mine I usually consider so-so seem to do well in the auto photo comps, and yet the ones I consider some of my best ever don't often get many votes!)

There's no limit as to how many times you can change it up until we close this. So...sure. More than 3-5 is fine. That's what this is for, feedback and such. Feel free to post as many as you'd like, but try to keep them together of course.

Ok this is what I was thinking - in terms of ideas.

We are going to be having 13 people participate - which essentially means one on the cover that won't be featured in the calender. I feel very strongly about having some sort of GTP log on the front, as that's how we all met and thats what connects us - and it'll hopefully help us get sales from other GTP users. The calender has a large portait space on the cover, so the cover (I think) should merge the cover shot with the logo (I'm still waiting from a response from Jordan) into one image, so they can both go on the cover, or LongbowX had the idea of merging them into one image....like the dots of the globe being filled with an image with the same image slightly faded out in the background....or something.

There will be a GTP logo on the front, of course. I can merge the two in a creative way. I think. That might extend out of the photo itself. With a design taking place in the photo itself, I'll have to do some design concepts at some point....Everyone will see it before we decide on it of course.

There was talk from SPhilli911 that he would put a themed shot in. I (personally) don't like the idea as it isn't Autumn every where in the world, and I think the persons best, most dramatic shots would be more enjoyable for everybody 👍.

Yeah, I agree. Since there is such a diversity of places where people are from.

What sort of mark up do people want? The base price is AU$20 and that includes (if I'm not poorly mistaken) postage as well. Mark ups come as percentages and its going to be nigh on impossible to have a reasonable price that's profit's are divisable by 13, but I'm all ears :).

Something small, probably. As little as possible. 3 dollars? 4?

LongbowX - you should probably post the link to an example calender ;).

As I recall, I gave you this to proof read, Mister. :lol:

HFS - another way we could do it is everybody could submit their favourite shot and have that be in. It all has to be worked out.

I think it's better if we just post as many as we want, get feedback, and change it.

Last edited:
When is the deadline going to be for this? I'm off to Santa Pod at the end of the week and might get some decent car shots then which could be included in this.

When is the deadline going to be for this? I'm off to Santa Pod at the end of the week and might get some decent car shots then which could be included in this.

A week and a half? Two? We didn't set a date-wanted to see what everyone said. Is that enough time?

I don't think we can really charge a markup. It makes things very complex commercially, because someone would be responsible for collecting the markup and then distributing it to all of the contributors. Also, we would absolutely require Jordan's signoff, as we would be using the GTP branding to our own commercial gain.

I think that to avoid legal complexity, we either market the calendar at 0%, or all of the markup goes to Jordan. He may wish to exchange markup receipts for units of Premium for contributors, but that would be entirely down to him.

Also, while I'm on the legalese, each contributing photographer will need to confirm that they are the copyright holder, and that they are granting a non-exclusive, revocable license for the commercial reproduction of their photograph in this calendar plus all marketing and other dissemination required in the process of creating, advertising and distribution of the calendar.

Deadline of a couple of weeks is fine so long as you're happy with images from my library. Actually, I'm likely to put forward a motorsport image from Doune, which runs a hillclimb in September, so if you move me to Sept, it is appropriate for what I'm likely to submit, and avoids a date clash with Scaff & SPhilli911.

I tend to agree with not adding a markup, it presents all sorts of legal issues. If it takes off and is popular, we can always revisit it the following year and put more effort into it at that point.

Anyway, I'll kick this off with a few shots. I have added a watermark to the larger image, when it comes time to submit the final for print, i will send a hi-res shot with no watermark.

I don't think we can really charge a markup. It makes things very complex commercially, because someone would be responsible for collecting the markup and then distributing it to all of the contributors. Also, we would absolutely require Jordan's signoff, as we would be using the GTP branding to our own commercial gain.

I think that to avoid legal complexity, we either market the calendar at 0%, or all of the markup goes to Jordan. He may wish to exchange markup receipts for units of Premium for contributors, but that would be entirely down to him.

Also, while I'm on the legalese, each contributing photographer will need to confirm that they are the copyright holder, and that they are granting a non-exclusive, revocable license for the commercial reproduction of their photograph in this calendar plus all marketing and other dissemination required in the process of creating, advertising and distribution of the calendar.

Thanks for all the information Giles. 👍 We appreciate it.

I took the markup part out of the description, as I think making things complicated is not the best idea. However, giving the markup to Jordan is a distinct possibility.

And I will add these mention of legalese in the description as well. I'm not sure how to go about gathering such information, and what is involved. So, further discussions will be necessary.

Deadline of a couple of weeks is fine so long as you're happy with images from my library. Actually, I'm likely to put forward a motorsport image from Doune, which runs a hillclimb in September, so if you move me to Sept, it is appropriate for what I'm likely to submit, and avoids a date clash with Scaff & SPhilli911.

Alright, you have been moved.

And I think that would be alright. I'm sure you have quite the extensive library. I don't know how much longer we can wait, however. Getting it out somewhere in November is the goal, I believe.

Okay, I've decided on a selection of my images. I might add more at a slightly later date unless anyone spots something they love out of what I've already posted.

As with Syntax, I've watermarked the larger images but the one submitted for the calendar will be in full resolution and with no watermark.

Also, if you have any suggestions for PP improvements to the images then go right ahead 👍 I'm thinking of adding a bit of vignetting to the Porsche image, and my personal favourite shots are the Volkswagen badge and the single-seater image (which also may gain from a bit of vignetting).

EDIT: Whoops, I've posted 1100px images. Never mind, I'm sure you'll be able to get just as good idea with 1100 as you would with 1200...

Last edited:
Also, if you have any suggestions for PP improvements to the images then go right ahead 👍 I'm thinking of adding a bit of vignetting to the Porsche image, and my personal favourite shots are the Volkswagen badge and the single-seater image (which also may gain from a bit of vignetting).

EDIT: Whoops, I've posted 1100px images. Never mind, I'm sure you'll be able to get just as good idea with 1100 as you would with 1200...

I don't really have any suggestions, they all look amazing (going to be hard to choose). The only thing I would change, is that I think the Porsche shot is too dark. However, that might be my monitor...

And...1200 was just an arbitrary number. :sly: 1100 works just fine. :lol:

This is going to be fun. Selecting my best image will be tough, though. Here are a few I've had in mind, but I have loads more new photos that I may decide to use, so I hope I can get those ready in time.

Note: The selected image will be re-edited and will have no watermark.

I'm leaving Thursday for a Concours and classic car race and will be back on Sunday. I should get some good pictures then :D so I'll put some pictures up Monday afternoon.

Syntax - My favourites are the drift shot; the slightly un-saturated look to the colours give a moody look which compliments the car really well, and the Lotus because, um.. I just really like it :).

HFS - I really like the beetle shot, but my favourite is of the quad bike, the contrast of colours between the quad and the sand look fantastic.

SPhilli911 - I love the Mucielago shot. Do you have a colour version of the McMerc SLR photo? Perhaps the colour of such a busy backgrocund may distract from the car slightly, but may improve the shot as a whole imo.

If you guys'd like the biggest possible picture for your month - may I suggest making it more square? As seen by the example calender, the space allows for a squarish shape image, with cropping happeneing when you out up a full sized version. Its obvious - but I may as well just point it out.

Giles -
each contributing photographer will need to confirm that they are the copyright holder, and that they are granting a non-exclusive, revocable license for the commercial reproduction of their photograph in this calendar plus all marketing and other dissemination required in the process of creating, advertising and distribution of the calendar

How would we go about doing this? More details'd be nice 👍

I'm not going to put up a 1200 shot - anyone mind if I just do the normal 900? or even 700?

And if someone could help me with a watermark - I am too n00bish to do it myself.

HFS - that last open wheeler shot is fantastic - try some vignetting in PS (not gimp) for more impace and it'd be cataclysmically awesome. I'd deff's have that on my wall anyday 👍.

Same with the SLR, SPilli911 - truly amazing, and I hope to see it glossied on my wall 👍.

Syntax: Still love'n the Exige, mate. There are one or two from the gallery not featured here which would be amazing, too.

Such talent here :drool:

If you guys'd like the biggest possible picture for your month - may I suggest making it more square? As seen by the example calender, the space allows for a squarish shape image, with cropping happeneing when you out up a full sized version. Its obvious - but I may as well just point it out.

Some photos don't lend themselves well to be being square-ized. So, I think...they are fine the way they are. Not much can be done about it, but it should be fine.

I'm not going to put up a 1200 shot - anyone mind if I just do the normal 900? or even 700?

How dare you? BANNED! I don't think it matters all that much, I just picked 1200 to see the quality.

And if someone could help me with a watermark - I am too n00bish to do it myself

I'll help you if you want. Not sure how you want to do it, but I'm ready and able.
Such talent here :drool:

I agree...

80Y 2C2, I'm going to reply to your PM here, since many of the people involved in this are concerned about my thoughts. As Giles has already mentioned, the legal issues involved are not insignificant, and I cannot let the GTPlanet name or logo be used for profit in this way. Regardless, I still think this is an excellent idea and demonstration of our community's skills, and would be happy to "officially" support it under the condition that I am able to give all proceeds as a gift to a charitable donation. This gift would be given in addition to the funds gained via my traditional Christmas Premium promotion with the Alzheimer's Association.

Bringing charity into the mix helps you guys feel good about giving your work away, I won't feel bad for profiting off your work, and visitors will be more likely to purchase and enjoy your photography - all while contributing to a worthy cause.

With that said, I do not have time to manage or organize any of this, and the legal issues which Giles raised is still a large concern for me. I'll keep checking in to see where this project is headed - it would certainly make a wonderful annual tradition for the community. :)

Syntax - My favourites are the drift shot; the slightly un-saturated look to the colours give a moody look which compliments the car really well, and the Lotus because, um.. I just really like it :).

Thanks mate, appreciate the kind words.

Syntax: Still love'n the Exige, mate. There are one or two from the gallery not featured here which would be amazing, too.

Thanks mate, it was hard to pick 6 shots, I have such a massive library of photos. :lol:

SVX
Can I please do the cover?

We'd probably like to see some past shots first. I'm fairly certain a few guys would like the honors of the cover.

I still think this is an excellent idea and demonstration of our community's skills, and would be happy to "officially" support it under the condition that I am able to give all proceeds as a gift to a charitable donation. This gift would be given in addition to the funds gained via my traditional Christmas Premium promotion with the Alzheimer's Association.

I support this notion. 👍

I'm quite happy for proceeds from the sale to go to charity.

I'll put together some wording that allows each artist to retain copyright over their images whilst still allowing for the production of the calendar. Once everyone's happy, I suggest creating a final calendar thread where each person posts their selected image, including the license text.

Jordan, I'll draw your attention to this thread when I think we need you to make a ruling.

On another matter, contributors are posting images in here for consideration. Have we dropped the poll idea?

That would be awesome - I'm so up for that 👍.

We understand that your not going to manage anything. Don't worry - we can handle it :).

On another matter, contributors are posting images in here for consideration. Have we dropped the poll idea?

Nah - it'd be way too messy if we did it like we are doing now - plus people are going to events in the near future so now's just....brainstorming...or something. Your help with the legal documentation would be much appreciated 👍.

And if someone could help me with a watermark - I am too n00bish to do it myself.

Here's what I used: http://picmarkr.com/

You just upload five photos at a time, choose what type of watermark you want and BAM! It's fairly basic but works. Just keep your eye on the settings, make sure you don't tick the box to resize the images or anything.

I'm more than up for the proceeds going to charity 👍

EDIT: I've added a few more photos to my list of possibilities on the first page.

Last edited:

That sounds great. I don't think our goal was never profit, it was to further the community. Giving it to charity is a wonderful idea, and I'm very happy with that result. Don't feel bad about profiting off of it, you run an awesome site - and we appreciate it.

I'm quite happy for proceeds from the sale to go to charity.

Thanks so much Giles, you really are going above and beyond on this one - and we appreciate it greatly. There will be a final thread, after the poll. Which is still a while away (one and a half weeks plus the poll length, which will likely be a week). And I will add in all of this information to the original post.

Nah - it'd be way too messy if we did it like we are doing now - plus people are going to events in the near future so now's just....brainstorming...or something. Your help with the legal documentation would be much appreciated 👍.

The poll idea is still going. This thread is essentially to confirm the entries for that poll, and to talk about the ideas and developments.

Last edited:
Back