2010 Paris Motor Show: Jaguar C-X75 and Audi Quattro concept

  • Thread starter Thread starter homeforsummer
  • 36 comments
  • 4,168 views

homeforsummer

Bonbonbonbons!
Premium
Messages
27,318
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
2010 Paris Motor Show: Jaguar C-X75​

EVO Magazine
Meet the shock star of the 2010 Paris motor show. This is the Jaguar C-X75 – a jet-powered supercar concept with scarcely believable levels of technology and power.

‘Designed as a range-extended electric two-seater supercar, it explores the outer limits of both performance and sustainability’, says Jaguar. The performance aspect is taken care of quite nicely by a 968bhp maximum power output, while the ability to go zero emissions in electric mode (for 68 miles) and recharge the batteries with efficient micro gas turbines caters for the sustainability aspect. Average CO2 emissions of 28g/km are also particularly startling.

That power figure is twinned with 1180lb ft of torque, and helps hustle the 1350kg C-X75 to 62mph in 3.4sec and to 100mph in a staggering 5.5sec, while the quarter-mile sprint is rattled off in 10.3sec. Top speed is 205mph.

It’s about the same length as a Jaguar XKR sports coupe, but is 130mm wider and 118mm lower, its supercar styling ultimately much more dramatic. Jaguar claims influences of D-Type and XJ13 in its design, though it does so without looking needlessly retro. It’s a thoroughly modern design, with Jaguar claiming it’s a vision of a 2020-vintage supercar.

Much of that vision comes from the way it’s propelled. Each wheel gets its own 195bhp electric motor (so effectively the C-X75 is all-wheel drive, and it gets clever torque-vectoring technology too) while two gas turbines provide 94bhp each. Those either top up the batteries that power the electric motors or, during harder driving, provide extra power in order to hit those awe-inspiring performance figures. The turbines can rev up to 80,000rpm – around ten times the figure provided by most performance cars.

Source: Evo

car_photo_397225_25.jpg

car_photo_397231_25.jpg

car_photo_397228_25.jpg

car_photo_397198_25.jpg

car_photo_397246_25.jpg

car_photo_397240_25.jpg

Allow me the first to say:

WOW.

That car has the rear end to end all ends...
 
Last edited:
So do the turbines have magnets on the ends that spin through copper coil or something? Sounds like a nice way to make electricity with 80k rpm.
 
As far as I'm aware, the turbines work in exactly the same way the range-extender in the Chevy Volt does, turning a generator that charges the battery.

They're supposed to work very well. I was reading an article on it today, and how they take away all the normal negatives of automotive turbines, such as incredibly slow throttle response and lots of noise. Throttle response isn't an issue when you're running the turbines at a constant (and most efficient) speed, and using them to turn a generator damps virtually all the noise you'd normally get so they're near silent too.

I presume they have no direct connection driving the wheels - just the ability to run them up to 80k rpm which allows the battery to be discharged quicker for greater power from the motors without the risk of running out of charge.
 
Jayzus. Looks pretty, but not super progressive (except the interior) in a good way. It is very contemporary, but seems to contain that certain look that won't get outdated as it ages because it has enough retro to it. Almost as if it will only be irrelevant for a brief time, the ability to age gracefully. This seems to be what Jaguar has always been about, but never quite gotten straight (maybe only with the S-Type?). The front graphics seem to need a little sorting out, the headlights for instance don't sit quite right and the brake ducts right below them seem too out of place. Plenty of XJ220 references too, which is welcome.

I've also always wanted that kind of tapered E-Type tail-end and overhang on a modern car. This got one, but then had a massive diffuser poke through it. :D
 
I'd actually say looking at it for a bit longer, it'd benefit at the front from some more agressive, Jaguar XJ-style headlights rather than the slightly surprised-looking ones it has at the moment.
 
Great-ew. That's what it looks like. The tech is pretty cool, but the looks is so un-Jaguar. I could see Lotus or even Ford pinning a badge on this, but Jaguar. Just seems like it's out of place.
 
Wow indeed. I assume it's not actually running yet. It looks stunning and those figures are staggering. It's going to take something pretty special at Paris to top this.
 
That speedometer is full of so much unbelievable win.
 
Wow indeed. I assume it's not actually running yet. It looks stunning and those figures are staggering. It's going to take something pretty special at Paris to top this.

I think it's a running prototype, or at least there are motion shots of it dotted about the internet.

As for other special metal at the show, how about the new Audi Quattro? (Thread title changed to encompass the whole show now)

2010 Paris Motor Show: Audi Quattro Concept​

Autocar
Audi is celebrating the 30th anniversary of its iconic Quattro with this Paris show star: the Quattro Concept.

Based on a shortened RS5 platform, the concept is actually closer in spirit to 1984’s Sport Quattro, a more compact version of the original coupé that was designed to improve the car’s agility on the world’s rallying stages.

The concept’s wheelbase is 150mm shorter than the RS5’s, its roofline is around 40mm lower and the 4.28m overall length is around the same as a Volkswagen Scirocco’s. Unlike the RS5, though, the concept is a strict two-seater.

Most of the bodywork is aluminium, but the bonnet and rear hatchback are carbonfibre. Audi says the car weighs approximately 1300kg, around the same as the Sport Quattro.

Audi has not released a power figure for the concept, but it has confirmed that it has a five-cylinder engine. That’s likely to be a version of the TT RS’s twin-turbocharged powerplant offering at least 335bhp, comfortably more than the 300bhp of the original roadgoing special.

The front styling is dominated by a huge rectangular grille, while the side profile’s key feature is an extra-thick C-pillar that also has Audi’s four-ring logo stamped into its metal. No images of the cabin have been released, but Audi says it features a slender, ‘floating’ dashboard and bucket seats that are 40 per cent lighter than regular items.

Insiders say that Audi will gauge reaction to the car at the Paris show with interest but insist that the Quattro Concept is purely a celebration of the classic coupé and that there are no production plans at present.

Source: Autocar

Audi-Concepts-289101024333601600x1060.jpg

Audi-Concepts-289101024338761600x1060.jpg

Another great back end. Front end isn't bad, not sure about the large horizontal vent though. Losing that and making the bonnet a bit more convex would give it more agression and make the front end look a bit smaller and leaner.

Anyone else with any Paris news, feel free to post it in this thread. Seems like it's a good year for new metal...
 
That grill looks like a great big empty void... it's a black hole!
It's not really ugly... But I wouldn't call it pretty. But that's just me.
 
You have got your finger on the pulse! I hope they put the Jag into production but even if it's not for a long it's a good indication of where they're heading.

The Audi looks pretty mean, there's no way they won't make it.

Lambo have officially revealed the concept (http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/253037/) although I guess that should be detailed in the teaser photo thread. I'm on my phone so someone else can do the honours.
 
That grill looks like a great big empty void... it's a black hole!
It's not really ugly... But I wouldn't call it pretty. But that's just me.

On the Audi or the Jag?

You have got your finger on the pulse!

Heh. Now I write in the motoring press I get bombarded with emails and links. It's hard to miss this stuff. I won't even bother here with the electric Skoda Octavia that's just been revealed...

I hope they put the Jag into production but even if it's not for a long it's a good indication of where they're heading.

The Audi looks pretty mean, there's no way they won't make it.

Yeah, I reckon the Audi should be put into production at some point, there'll be a market for it.

The Jag too. If the tech works, which it should, then it'll be a great figurehead for the company.
 
The Jag: Meh, I hope if it goes into product they decide to tone the nonesense down a bit. Too busy and I'm not even talking about the interior yet.

The Audi, Much better, I like the subtle design. Oh and by subtle I mean ABSOLUTELY NOT SUBTLE. I do like the exterior, looks meaty.
 
Jaguar: The one "electric" supercar I'd have interest in...though I wouldn't be disappointed to find a V12 or Turbo Six in there.

Ewwwdi Cuatro: Okay, the back's not bad...((Am liking these 80s throwback coupehatches, like the CTS-V)) but the front is....well, it's not Ugly, just...Audi.
 
Should these be in separate threads? It's going ot be difficult to have a discussion about both at the same time. Anyway:

Jaguar: I love it. That car looks amazing. I'm not sure where the design cues that we're supposed to start seeing are though. It's kinda hard to translate styling from a MR supercar to a luxury sedan.

Also, I think that these EREV supercars are growing on me. First the 918 and now the? Both making amazing power figures while being incredibly environmentally friendly. All they're missing is a musical engine note. Props (no pun intended) to Jaguar too for using turbine engines. I was looking at the turbines on that old Chrysler earlier today. Definitely a cool technology!

Audi: They finally did a car right for once. Looks-wise, it's pretty eh aside from the awesome taillights and weird silhouette. Plus it has those stupid LED lights still, although I like how dim they are. I am enjoying the (sorta) light weight, the manual transmission, the cool engine choice and the rear-biased AWD. Without seeing the car and knowing those things, I'd have never guessed Audi. Good on them for building something fun that isn't a suck up. I also like the front end styling a lot. I'm probably in the minority there though.
 
That Jaguar is pretty rad. Definitely one of the best-looking concept vehicles I've seen in a while. The Audi is a pretty cool design test as well, a nice kind of throwback piece of work that could become something interesting, but probably won't.
 
And for my take on that Audi, it is very nice. The classic quattro rear end is nice, the front....well at least they tried? It arrived with the TTRS's Turbo 2.5, no problem there. quattro All-Wheel Drive? Please, make this car Audi, but get rid of that gangly scoop.
 
The Jag is absurdly hot, while the new Quattro is pretty damn nice also.
 
Those pictures of the Quattro just scream Camaro to me, for some reason.
 
^ It's the hips and general design of the back end, I think.

The Audi needs to be built. They've been on a role lately, finally making dynamic cars, and the stats for this would embarass an M3. The back end has a heavy muscle car vibe, which I like. The front hood scoop makes perfect sense as a tie to the original Ur-quattro. Cool idea for the headlights to pan both vertically and horizontally, and the fact they can open up, and squint, is a neat, if limited use, feature.

The Jag, I'm not entirely sold on yet. Front end looks too surprised. The shot of it that's basically halfway between profile and rear-3/4, though, is utterly superb. It seems Callum can't get a car to gel with both ends; either the front, or the rear, will be much more resolved than the other half :-/.
 
The rear end of the Audi is perfect, resembles the original car without being overdone or way too classic. The front end doesn't caught my eye, though.

The Jag is impressive, looks like something you'd see in a fiction movie, but astonishing nonetheless.
 
Tails are gross on that Audi. It looks like a Dodge. Or what a Dodge should look like.

Also, they gave it Epyon eyes. I always thought something like that would look cool on a car.

gw20epyon03.jpg
 
I know VAG has been doing this for years anyways, but wouldn't that quattro concept, if built, be competing with like half a dozen VAG products? Like, for example, the Audi TTRS that is sources most of its drivetrain from?
 
I like the Audi, the Jag is ugly.
 
More from Audi

Auto Express
car_photo_396589_25.jpg


car_photo_396898_25.jpg


Audi has blown its top! After debuting an all-electric coupé at the Detroit Motor Show in January, bosses unveiled this sleek drop-top version, with a diesel-electric hybrid drivetrain, at the Paris show.

Although the new e-tron Spyder looks similar to the coupé, it’s 13cm longer and 3cm wider – which makes it close in size to the current Porsche Boxster.

It is described as “the most advanced and most consistent evolution of Audi’s design language”, and it gives the strongest indication yet of how the sports car will look when it debuts late next year.

At the front end is a gaping trapezoidal grille flanked by a pair of LED headlights. The bonnet has the same air intake as the current R8 LMS race car, while the Audi logo folds back to reveal the charging point for the lithium-ion batteries. In profile, the car gets a striking crease along the shoulder line, and the 20-inch carbon-spoked alloys stand out.

Easily the most prominent styling feature, though, is the chopped-down wraparound windscreen, which takes its cues from the visor of a racing helmet. At the rear, the LED lights resemble those on the latest Lamborghinis, while large vents and a curvy diffuser add to the sporting intent.

The interior provides the latest take on Audi’s minimalist strategy, with buttons being replaced by smartphone-inspired touchscreens. And the lightweight bucket seats feature contrasting stitching.

Providing the go to match the show is Audi’s latest 3.0-litre V6 TDI diesel. This debuted in the current A8 luxury car, but here it’s boosted by a pair of electric motors – one on each front wheel.

The engine is mounted behind the seats, and power has been increased by 49bhp to 296bhp. More important, though, is the torque output, which climbs 100Nm to 650Nm. The electric motors add a further 352Nm of boost.

To create the trademark quattro four-wheel-drive, the diesel drives the rear wheels via a seven-speed dual-clutch gearbox. The electric motors supplement the engine when the car is accelerating. In addition, there’s an electric-only mode, allowing zero-emissions progress for 31 miles at speeds of up to 37mph.

In normal driving, power is split 25:75 front to rear, but a central control unit linked to the ESP stability system can vary this. The car also features torque vectoring – whereby individual wheels are accelerated or braked to counter under or oversteer, ensuring impressive handling.

To help this further, the concept has been designed using a mixture of Audi’s aluminium spaceframe technology and carbon fibre. The result is perfect 50:50 distribution of the ultra-light 1,450kg kerbweight.

Performance and efficiency are superb as a result. The car covers 0-62mph in 4.4 seconds and hits a limited top speed of 155mph. It can also return 128.4mpg fuel economy and emits 59g/km. Despite the diesel-electric powerplant, Audi insists the e-tron emits a sporty growl similar to the diesel Le Mans racer.
 
^ Not only is it incredibly efficient, you'll never need another cheese grater again!

I know VAG has been doing this for years anyways, but wouldn't that quattro concept, if built, be competing with like half a dozen VAG products? Like, for example, the Audi TTRS that is sources most of its drivetrain from?

Eh, possibly, it seems like it'd be targeted towards a more hardcore clientele, I think. Funnily enough, with it's (identical) power output and (lower) weight... I wonder by how much it'd destroy the 911 Speedster on a track.
 
The Jag looks great, a real homage to the XJ220 but I don't feel that it fits in with Jag's current design language at all. Looks more like from the S-Type and XJ era. Still from such a concept car you probably do want to look back to the last proper Jag supercar.

As for the Audi I love the rear but hate the front, they needed to have the rear lights clusters on the front just in white to make it look right. They did the opposite of Jag and put too much current design language an corporate look into the front which doesn't look right in my opinion.

Robin.
 
Did anyone check the rear tyre width on the Jag C-X75? 365-series!! I wonder how long it will be before someone puts 400-series width tyres on a road car production car.:lol:
 
That e-tron Spyder looks like a hoot. Highlight of the show so far.
 
Back