2010 too hard

• Thread starter buggs1a
  • 48 comments
buggs1a
Just got f1 2010 ps3 yesterday used. It's cool but waaaaay too hard.

I picked a 7 year career and lotus as ky team. I qualify 20 or worse and finish race 17 or worse. I use all aids.

My time for first race per lap is about 2:08-2:14. I've gone to engineer and quick car setup so top speed says fastest or very high. I've tried average too. None make any difference for me.

Im wanting to keep the game but don't know since I'm not going to be able to do much better unless the ai is tons slower or my car is tons faster.

Ideas? It's a cool game though for sure.

Don't worry, Lotus, HRT and Virgin, the 3 new teams, are miles off the pace of the other teams. You may think you're poor but don't worry, you're not to bad.;)

Just got f1 2010 ps3 yesterday used. It's cool but waaaaay too hard.

I picked a 7 year career and lotus as ky team. I qualify 20 or worse and finish race 17 or worse. I use all aids.

My time for first race per lap is about 2:08-2:14. I've gone to engineer and quick car setup so top speed says fastest or very high. I've tried average too. None make any difference for me.

Im wanting to keep the game but don't know since I'm not going to be able to do much better unless the ai is tons slower or my car is tons faster.

Ideas? It's a cool game though for sure.

Serious amount of practice needed. Watch F1 onboards on the official f1 website and use their lines.

Just stick it out for a season or two at the bottom of the field and take your points finishes where you can, and eventually you'll receive an offer from a midpack team.

is my team and car the issue?

Partly but you need to practice, practice, practice! Even if you play a lot of other racing games, it takes practice and time to adjust to a new game's physics engine and the handling of the cars.

But the most time can be made up with practice. It is possible to get to the top 10 in the HRT, Virgin and Lotus on the hardest settings, so I would say you need to just sit down and spend time practicing each track and getting your lines perfect.

When you are beating the easy and medium difficulty AI then you can worry about cars and setups being the factors slowing you down.

Keep at it mate. 👍 Its a good, fun game once you've got your head around it. The only other advice I can give is to try to start turning off the driving aids one by one and get used to driving without them. You will learn far far more and become a better driver if you practice without them. Turning off traction control and braking assist teaches you to be careful with the throttle and brake to learn their limits, and turning off the racing line gets you learning the track, picking your own reliable braking points.
Nothing wrong with driving with the aids on of course, but if you want to make yourself a better driver, its best to start practicing without them. You will be slower at first and you will find it even harder! But don't be put off, sticking with it and practicing will make you better and faster!

But the first thing to get down and understand is your racing lines, as long as you know what should be the best racing line around the tracks, then you know how to become faster with everything else (aids off and setups etc). As Shaggy said, watch the real onboard laps and try to follow those racing lines. Try to work out where you are slow and where you are fast and work on them and practice improving your lines, braking points and steering inputs.

Last edited:
Yes I need practice, but I have little patience.

Honestly I am more arcade type. Meaning just let me drive. CPU take car of everything else. I don't care to know driving lines or the car tune settings. I just want to drive with aids on to help. I prefer easy.

I don't mind learning though. I'm just being open and honest here about my play style and ability.

As of right now I don't know how learning the driving line will help me enough to win. As of right now I need a way faster car and way slower ai. I know my ability is not going to make a huge improvement from where I am now. I think I can make a slight improvement but not much.

What setting is the AI on? Because even on harder difficulties, you should be able be finish mid-field with all aids on with the lower class teams.

Are you also using a controller or wheel?

Because the line you take around the track is how you go faster. Fair enough if you don't have the patience..but then don't buy simulation-style racing games if you're not prepared for it.
Perhaps you should have asked people or read reviews before buying the game?

But if you are still interested in trying to beat this game, you really need to knuckle down and practice. There is no secret X1 racing car to beat the AI and the AI is already pretty easy on the easiest settings (for a sim), so sadly its either practice and improve your racing lines or sell the game.

Honestly, I think you will enjoy this game (and other sim games) if you put your mind to it and try. But if you don't have the time or patience for it, then I suggest you sell the game as you aren't going to find it any easier without practice. Some people don't like challenges, this game is all about challenges.

Already enjoy very much. Practice is good but I know I'm not going to improve so much that there's a big difference.

Sometimes I notice I drive better if I don't follow the race line. In some games anyway. At least I think so.

Mclaren, I just now saw yer post lol.
I have it on easy and I use a normal dual shock 3.
I also pmed a quick ? To you.
is it possible I could online race with someone who could see how I drive and give me feedback?
Thanks to everyone.

Already enjoy very much. Practice is good but I know I'm not going to improve so much that there's a big difference.

Sometimes I notice I drive better if I don't follow the race line. In some games anyway. At least I think so.

Yes, you can take different lines and go faster, I didn't mean follow the "Racing line" assist in the game, I meant merely practice your lines and work out the fastest way around the track. A good guide is that assist (and also watching the lines the real drivers take) but ultimately the fastest way around is the one you feel most comfortable with. But there is usually a common fastest line and you can learn a lot from watching other drivers, especially the braking points they use.

You might not think you will find a big difference, but trust me, practice alone finds whole seconds of laptime! Forget better cars or setups, nothing beats practice.

Also the "Racing line" assist in this game is misleading as it adapts to the speed you are taking the corners, so its never consistent and you're always reacting to it, rather than focusing on the track and the other cars. Its best to turn it off and only use it as a general guide to the ideal lines and braking zones. Start looking at things on the sides of the track to use as braking markers. For example, the rumble strip on the outside of turn 1 at Bahrain (try to brake just before it starts and expirement with braking later and later).

Mclaren, I just now saw yer post lol.
I have it on easy and I use a normal dual shock 3.
I also pmed a quick ? To you.
is it possible I could online race with someone who could see how I drive and give me feedback?
Thanks to everyone.
The dualshock may be different, then, as I use a wheel. Otherwise, I can only mimic others by suggesting practice. In fact, I believe there is an achievement if you can manage to do all the events over the course of a weekend, so take big advantage of the practice rounds as they're usually the longest & somewhat "unexciting" til' Q2.

I'm sure a few people here could run online with you to help you out. I would myself, but I have the game on Steam & can only interact with Live players. :indiff:

I got the game on Saturday and I like it a lot. Started a career with the Sauber team but I didn't like my drivers name so I restarted with the HRT Cosworth team. I drive against medium difficulty opponents and I have brake assist off, traction control at medium, driving line off, and abs off. I use a controller and I won the first 5 races. I kind of knew what to expect from this game handling wise because I raced the F1 Ferrari cars a ton on GT5.

Anyways, do what others have said: reduce ai difficulty, use aids until you get better, then slowly back off on the aids. That's what I am going to do. Let's hope it works out lol.

By the way: Has anyone else noticed how difficult it is to go from a F1 car to a street car? After racing in this game for hours yesterday, I had a GT5 race last night and finished last because my timing was all messed up.

^Thats what I mean with getting used to different physics, I always need to practice before I start racing competitively on any racing game.
Although I always find Gran Turismo the easiest racing game to go back to, the physics just work "right" for me and I can start chucking the car about almost instantly. I normally only need a lap or two in GT to get used to my braking points again and I'm all set. (even with the faster cars)

I been up about 25hrs now. In bed on my incredible phone using the gtp app. 4:32am pst Monday.

I played over an hr of f1 2010 and stopped about 25 minutes ago. I did a 35 or so minute practice for the third race in the.rain. the first race I qualify 20 but 5 place cause collision so started 24. Finished 17 th I think. 20 % race short weekend. Second race qualify 24. Finish 23. Third race practice was rain. I noticed I was driving a little better. My line was a tiny bit better I think. Like I kinda am getting the hang of of. So my lap times kept going down. Sector times went down mostly. Is this because of fuel being used? I don't know how I lost like 5-6 seconds by my 9th or 10th lap in practice. Well lost meaning faster. I qualified bad again though and finished 1 better.

I consider finishing a race even 1 spot better then I start to be a good thing. I'm ok with that so far. I just hope ill get even better.

I really like this game, but don't see myself in the top 10 anytime soon if ever.

I been up about 25hrs now. In bed on my incredible phone using the gtp app. 4:32am pst Monday.

I played over an hr of f1 2010 and stopped about 25 minutes ago. I did a 35 or so minute practice for the third race in the.rain. the first race I qualify 20 but 5 place cause collision so started 24. Finished 17 th I think. 20 % race short weekend. Second race qualify 24. Finish 23. Third race practice was rain. I noticed I was driving a little better. My line was a tiny bit better I think. Like I kinda am getting the hang of of. So my lap times kept going down. Sector times went down mostly. Is this because of fuel being used? I don't know how I lost like 5-6 seconds by my 9th or 10th lap in practice. Well lost meaning faster. I qualified bad again though and finished 1 better.

I consider finishing a race even 1 spot better then I start to be a good thing. I'm ok with that so far. I just hope ill get even better.

I really like this game, but don't see myself in the top 10 anytime soon if ever.

Keep at it mate. I find that brake assist slowed me down far to much and made it hard to overtake. The AI is usually very slow in the wet I think. But if you've got Brake Assist on, try turning that off and see if you could climb a couple of positions by outbreaking your opponents! Other then that all there is - is practice! :)

Learn more about the game and driving the car(s) and tracks in the game by reading these and other threads; and practice!

i bought the game 3 days ago ,used ,i am up with pace i chose 7 season i have only had trouble in spain, using all AIDS,did my first 4 races on intermediate and then again switched too amateur i am second in the championship driving VR the next race i have is valencia,i didn't face too much problem because i know the circuits pretty well and i follow F1 a lot..

Might as well stick this post in here,

Thinking about buying F1 2010 since it's only about £17 now, do people think this is worth it or just wait for 2011 and pay the full wack on release or get Dirt 3?

^Thats what I mean with getting used to different physics, I always need to practice before I start racing competitively on any racing game.
Although I always find Gran Turismo the easiest racing game to go back to, the physics just work "right" for me and I can start chucking the car about almost instantly. I normally only need a lap or two in GT to get used to my braking points again and I'm all set. (even with the faster cars)

Even when I raced F1 Ferrari cars in GT5, it still took me awhile to get back to feel comfortable in street cars or even LM cars. Now with playing a different game that no doubt has a different feel to it, going back to GT5 and using a LM car was a shock. I wonder if I'd feel the same difference if I played F1 2010 for an hour and then raced the F1 Ferrari cars in GT5 right after. Even though they are the same cars or are very similar, I'm betting I could tell a difference in handling due to different game engines. I'm going to try that someday.

By the way, if anyone reading this likes to race the F1 cars in GT5, hit me up with a friend request. Too few of the people on my list race those cars and it's a shame to have a 12.5 million credit car just sitting there.

Partly but you need to practice, practice, practice! Even if you play a lot of other racing games, it takes practice and time to adjust to a new game's physics engine and the handling of the cars.
Not to mention learning the circuits. It might be easy to say "I'm a Formula 1 fan, so I know all the circuits", and maybe that's true in comparison to someone who is totally new to the sport - but it doesn't mean you know all the braking points and cornering speeds, and that's the key to a quick lap once you acquaint yourself with the physics.

Yep. I notice in gt5 I try to pay attention to corner speeds.

What do the quick setup settings mean in the garage engineer screen?

Also what are race game physics? I've always wondered about car game physics.

Might as well stick this post in here,

Thinking about buying F1 2010 since it's only about £17 now, do people think this is worth it or just wait for 2011 and pay the full wack on release or get Dirt 3?

Bumping this forward since it got left behind, whilst waiting approval. 👍

Well I just got it even though its new in Sept or so. I like it but its way too hard to finish or qualify any good. But its still fun. And maybe one day ill be better. Dunno.

Well I just got it even though its new in Sept or so. I like it but its way too hard to finish or qualify any good. But its still fun. And maybe one day ill be better. Dunno.

Sounds a bit like the older F1 games, they were quite hard. But then I was quite young when I last played an F1 game and never really put any though into it and just smashed the car around the track. ha

Bumping this forward since it got left behind, whilst waiting approval. 👍

Football Club aside :D ,If you can only afford one then wait it out but I would recommend renting 2010 to get used to it and See if it meets your expectations .

Football Club aside :D ,If you can only afford one then wait it out but I would recommend renting 2010 to get used to it and See if it meets your expectations .

Yeah, I'm planning to have loan of it from a friend, hopefully I'll enjoy it.

Good luck to Arsenal next season :yuck: haha

Does it make any improvement doing grand prix over career being you can pick any team and car?

Make what specifically an improvement?

The only significant difference I can think of is that in GP mode all cars are fully spec'd out. Meaning in career mode you'll eventually unlock 5% better front downforce, 10% better rear traction, etc. In GP mode every team's cars are already at whatever their maximum performance might be.

Maybe that's what you meant?

Back