2011-2012 English Football League Promotion/Relegation

• Thread starter Famine
  • 144 comments
Hnngh!

Post 1 updated with all the details and Wednesday are determined to kill me before the season's done.

League One
Exeter, Chesterfield and Wycombe all relegated in one go as they all lost, while Walsall got a point.

League Two
Swindon confirmed as Champions with a 5-0 win, Shrewsbury join them in League One next year and Macclesfield are relegated thanks to a defeat while Barnet record a crushing win.

Last edited:
Hnngh!

Post 1 updated with all the details and Wednesday are determined to kill me before the season's done.

You can't beat a last day promotion spectacular! I think Sheff Utd automatic promotion went with Ched Evans though.

Even Wednesday fans can enjoy Saturdays once in a while.

As it stands, bolded for emphasis, would Wednesday need just a point to seal promotion on goal difference?

No, they're ten better off (eight right now). We need to match their result next week, minimum. We can lose (away to relegated Wycombe..?) if they only draw (at home to relegated Exeter..?), but otherwise it's match them or Playoffs.

So you're both playing already relegated teams. Neither Wycombe nor Exeter have anything to lose.

Juicy.

Or did I speak too soon...? Blades pull one back. 2-1 to Stevenage.

Chuffin' equalising chuff!

Edit: Well, a draw is of no relevance. They still need to better our result next week and we still need to match theirs. No exceptions.

Last edited:
Well, it may not be league but one of my most local clubs, Basingstoke, are playing against Dartford today in a play off to get into the Conference premier for the first time ever. I would have been there with half price tickets because I play in a certain youth league but my Mum would rather be at home in the warmth. Anyway, Basingstoke are losing 1-0 on about 60 minutes at the moment.

Here is a link to the match if anyone is interested.

EDIT: We lost 0-1 :(

Last edited:
Conference Premier Play-Offs

York City 1-1 Mansfield Town

Tight game, York were impotent upfront against Mansfield's excellent defence, but Mansfield's 29-goal star Matt Green was sent off for a second booking and will miss the second leg. He would be available for the final, but the all important second leg is being played at Mansfield, who have won 13 from their last 16, but York have a brilliant away record.

---

Luton Town vs. Wrexham

19:30, Kenilworth Road.

Nerves. Nerves, nerves, nerves. We can turn these lot over, but we've got to be on our A-game. I can't believe I'm 700 miles away from it all. I'll be having kittens while watching a stream. I am so excited but anxious.

More playoff fun tonight :D

Playoffs
May 3rd - Championship Play-Off Semi-Final 1, 1st Leg - Cardiff City vs. West Ham United
May 3rd - Blue Square Premier Play-Off Semi-Final 2, 1st Leg - Luton Town vs. Wrexham

Out of idle curiousity, is this the first time all four Conference playoff teams are ex-League?

Looking good for West Ham - 0-2 up already at Cardiff...

I have to say that West Ham deserve to be promoted, seeing as how they finished 10 points clear of 4th place, and were only 3 points shy off winning the league!!

The playoffs kind of make a mockery of the league system in instances like this.

The playoffs kind of make a mockery of the league system in instances like this.

Tell me about it. We scored 98 points on our way to finishing second in the Conference. Seven times out of the last ten, that would have been enough to win the sole automatic spot.

Now, we're 2-0 down against Luton bloody Town. With a urine poor performance. Excitement has turned to absolute despair.

That's harsh :guilty:

But it's early doors yet - and atleast you guys are not losing at home. A goal back in the second half would leave Wrexham in a decent position - even losing by 2 away from home would not be the end of the world.

Yeah, but we played Luton Town at this very stage last season (play-off semis) and played the home leg first and were 3-0 down inside 30 minutes on our way to an embarrassing 5-1 aggregate defeat.

Well, West Ham have the advantage after the first leg. Lets see if they can keep it up when they play in London.

And it's Blackpool who take the advantage into the second leg.

Come on Ollie, I want you back in the Premiership. I want your voice and opinons broadcast more often. Underneath the humour, he's brilliantly outspoken on many of the issues in the game.

Last edited:
Big day today :D

League One
One promotion place up for grabs...
  • If Sheffield Wednesday win at home to Wycombe:
    • Sheffield Wednesday are promoted
  • If Sheffield Wednesday draw:
    • And Sheffield United win away to Exeter, Sheffield United are promoted
    • And Sheffield United draw or lose, Sheffield Wednesday are promoted
  • If Sheffield Wednesday lose:
    • And Sheffield United win or draw, Sheffield United are promoted
    • And Sheffield United lose, Sheffield Wednesday are promoted

The remaining Sheffield club will be top seeds in the playoffs and joined by Milton Keynes Dons and Huddersfield (who will play each other, but who gets home advantage in the 2nd leg is still to be decided), leaving one place for three teams...
  • If Stevenage win at home to Bury:
    • Stevenage are in the playoffs
  • If Stevenage draw:
    • And Notts County win at home to Colchester, Notts County are in the playoffs
    • And Notts County draw or lose:
      • And Carlisle United win away to Oldham, Carlisle United are in the playoffs
      • And Carlisle draw or lose, Stevenage are in the playoffs
  • If Stevenage lose:
    • And Notts County win or draw, Notts County are in the playoffs
    • And Notts County lose:
      • And Carlisle United win, Carlisle United are in the playoffs
      • And Carlisle United draw or lose, Stevenage are in the playoffs

League Two
Like League One, there's one promotion spt left, but now there's three teams battling for it!
  • If Crawley Town win away to Accrington Stanley:
    • Crawley Town are promoted
  • If Crawley Town draw:
    • And Torquay United win away at Hereford United, Torquay United are promoted
    • And Torquay United draw or lose:
      • And Southend United win at home to Macclesfield Town, Southend United are promoted
      • And Southend United draw or lose, Crawley Town are promoted
  • If Crawley Town lose:
    • And Torquay United win or draw, Torquay United are promoted
    • And Torquay United lose:
      • And Southend United win or draw, Southend United are promoted
      • And Southend United lose, Crawley Town are promoted

Like League One, three of the playoff spots are reserved (two for the remaining non-promoted side and one for Cheltenham Town) though the orders aren't clear. This leaves one spot for two teams:
  • If Crewe Alexandra win or draw at home to Aldershot, Crewe Alexandra are in the playoffs.
  • If Crewe Alexandra lose:
    • And Oxford United win away to Port Vale, Oxford United are in the playoffs
    • And Oxford United lose, Crewe Alexandra are in the playoffs

But there's also relegation to determine...
  • If Barnet win away to Burton Albion, Hereford United are relegated
  • If Barnet draw:
    • And Hereford United win at home to Torquay United, Barnet are relegated
    • And Hereford United draw or lose, Hereford United are relegated
  • If Barnet lose:
    • And Hereford United win, Barnet are relegated
    • And Hereford United draw or lose, Hereford United are relegated

Last edited:
Wednesday go up 1-nil in the same minute that Exeter go 1-nil up :D

I'm told there's nearly capacity inside Hillsborough - 39,000 - and they had to open the bottom of the Leppings Lane End for extra Owls :D

And Beattie is shown a red!

Edit: Game on at St. James', but Wednesday are still in the driving seat.

Last edited:
AsI42utCMAICM0c.jpg:large

Back