2011 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

• Thread starter PeterJB
  • 343 comments
Driver of the day has to be Alonso. Hauling that Ferrari around to keep in touch and pressure Hamilton was amazing. :drool:

On another note, it's annoying how the BBC focus on McLaren so much. Yes they have British drivers who a lot of people fanboys root for. It angers me that they always interview them if they win or do bad. Not everyone gives a damn about McLaren!!! IMO they should focus more on other teams also but that's the only criticism I have of the BBC. Other than that, their coverage is nothing short of excellent.

/rant lol

Lucky you...I only get cover on RTL (Germany) and they only seem to interview michael Schumacher, Vettel, Rosberg and Christian Horner... and in German... I wonder why they do that?????

And to me th driver of the day was Button... to manage a podium whit all the technical problems he had during the race...

Anyone heard about next year's TV schedule? BBC can only show 10 full qualifying and races on its channels. Sky can show them all! :(

Driver of the day has to be Alonso. Hauling that Ferrari around to keep in touch and pressure Hamilton was amazing. :drool:

Honestly, Alonso performed a lot better than I expected, but I don't know that I'd call it "pressure". He never really came within a few seconds of Lewis all day, and finished a relatively comfortable distance behind.

And to me th driver of the day was Button... to manage a podium whit all the technical problems he had during the race...

Yes and no. It wasn't really all that terribly crippled from what I gathered. Granted, it had KERS troubles, but that made a difference of fractions of a second per lap and not on all laps. From what I've heard it was a problem that came and went. He ultimately finished almost 26 seconds behind Lewis, so even if he had KERS on all laps rather than just coming and going I don't see him having been much farther forward than where he finished. He might have been able to put a fight to Alonso, but not to Hamilton.

Yes and I agree with you. But what I'm saying is not necessarily everyone care about the same 🤬 Hamilton/Button interviews or pre-race features. They should cater for everyone right? ;)

Edit: Sorry Famine.

Could be worse. Since ESPN-STAR is based in Singapore, just spitting distance from Malaysia, and since Petronas is a sponsor of the broadcast and of Mercedes GP, every single pre-race feature has Nico Rosberg in it.

Which is fine, because he drives such a competent and undramatic race that you'll never see him otherwise. :lol:

Yes and no. It wasn't really all that terribly crippled from what I gathered. Granted, it had KERS troubles, but that made a difference of fractions of a second per lap and not on all laps. From what I've heard it was a problem that came and went. He ultimately finished almost 26 seconds behind Lewis, so even if he had KERS on all laps rather than just coming and going I don't see him having been much farther forward than where he finished. He might have been able to put a fight to Alonso, but not to Hamilton.

Button says it affected his braking lines, because he never knew when he would be getting engine-braking.
I was watching the live timing monitors while all this was going on, and his laps were all over the place. KERS on, he would get within 5/10ths of Hamilton... KERS off, he was over a second adrift. He was over a second slower than Alonso, Massa and Webber, too, when the problem first cropped up, and he had a bit of luck when Webber caught Massa before Massa could get within DRS range.

The strange thing is, Massa sat behind Button for several laps, just over a second behind him, without pulling any moves. Even when it was obvious to anyone watching the timing screens that Button was hobbled by a problem.

----

I agree about Alonso.... while it may have looked like Alonso was hunting McLarens, after that first stint, it was over. The Ferrari had better end-of-tire-life pace, but as the track cooled, that McLaren just pulled further and further away. At the very least, Alonso kept Lewis honest, as Lewis couldn't just cruise to victory, but that Ferrari wasn't going to win here, no matter who was driving it. Still... fantastic work.

Stunning drive from Hamilton, absolutely flawless. Nice to see him back on the top step where he should be :)

+1. 👍👍👍 Made good on his promise to not be anywhere near Massa this weekend. This race got very interesting after Vettel split a tire open--not just at the front but around the field (Webber and Button, Massa and Webber, etc.); Yas Marina and DRS seem to go well together. Alonso had a great drive--but for the pit crew flubbing his last stop, we may have had a VERY interesting last few laps. Unfortunate result for Jenson though, but he did well (as per usual) to score points in a hobbled car. 👍

Abu Dhabi GP: The Bromance Continures starring Lewis Hamilton and Fernando Alonso

Is Alonso going to become part of Hamilton's support network?

The Williams problem is solved: give Maldonado the boot.

Glad to see Hamilton getting back on top, but a bit disappointed that Vettel couldn't try to make a charge from the back.

The Williams problem is solved: give Maldonado the boot.
They can't. PDVSA pay the team $15 million. Barrichello doesn't pay anything. The deal with Raikkonen is said to be worth $30 million from the Qatar National Bank, and rumours suggest that half of that will go to Raikkonen's salary. Dropping Maldonado will cot the team anywhere bwteeen 33 and 50% of their sponsorship revenue.

To be honest, I think the blue flag rule was enforced a little harshly. Maldonado, Alguersuari and Senna all got hit by it, but from what I saw, they were getting caught at the slow, single-file-only corner complexes between Turn 5, Turn 8 and Turn 12. They got out of the way once they cleared those corners, but I think the stewards jumped on them a little too hard. The rule doesn't say that a driver should move over straight away - it says that they need to move over at the earliest and safest possible opportunity.

It all seemed a bit sloppy from Maldonado the second time around. He could have let Massa and Webber through on the straight, but he slowed Webber down in the corners. Then he went off the track emerging on Webber's side before letting him go.

The deal with Raikkonen is said to be worth $30 million from the Qatar National Bank...

Qatar has become insanely involved in sporting these days, or have they always been? I noticed what they've done with European football clubs over the past couple of years, now this?

It's more than that - as a part of the deal with Williams, it is believed that the team will develop KERS further and make it available to the Qataris, with a view to using it to power their train system.

The BBC's coverage bias isn't that bad. They give other teams a good bit of show. I'm just glad Di Resta gets more than a look-in! 👍

Agreed. Let's not forget that the first driver they interviewed in the F1 Forum was actually Vettel, even though he went out on the second corner.

I'd hardly call interviewing a Red Bull driver who didn't even compete in the race as McLaren bias...

It's also worth remembering that you interview the people its easiest to interview. Schumacher still seems to leave the exclusive interviews to RTL and Alonso tends to keep his cards close to his chest and not give interviews beyond the post-race press conference, so neither of those get much air time. Vettel has great English and always seems happy for a bit of banter, so that's why he gets air time. The McLaren guys are both English, in an English team... so it's kind of natural the BBC will talk to them, because they're likely to get the most information there too.

Last edited:
Anyone heard about next year's TV schedule? BBC can only show 10 full qualifying and races on its channels. Sky can show them all! :(

From what I understand the BBC can only show 50% of the events live as appossed to Sky who will show all events live, Now the BBC can show the remaining events at a later time in the day after the race ends so all events will be on the BBC but only half of them live.

Agreed. Let's not forget that the first driver they interviewed in the F1 Forum was actually Vettel, even though he went out on the second corner.

I'd hardly call interviewing a Red Bull driver who didn't even compete in the race as McLaren bias...

It's also worth remembering that you interview the people its easiest to interview. Schumacher still seems to leave the exclusive interviews to RTL and Alonso tends to keep his cards close to his chest and not give interviews beyond the post-race press conference, so neither of those get much air time. Vettel has great English and always seems happy for a bit of banter, so that's why he gets air time. The McLaren guys are both English, in an English team... so it's kind of natural the BBC will talk to them, because they're likely to get the most information there too.

Spot on my friend! :D
For people who think it's bias they should really watch the F1 Forum because you get a LOT of behind the scenes action for almost every team. The only reason McLaren where the focus yesterday was because they had a fantastic weekend.

Has Red Bull released the cause of Vettel's puncture?

I smell smoke. Why have they been so secretive over such a trivial matter? Remember how controversial the whole front part of that car has been all year long.....

Has Red Bull released the cause of Vettel's puncture?

I smell smoke. Why have they been so secretive over such a trivial matter? Remember how controversial the whole front part of that car has been all year long.....

I don't think they know the cause of the puncture themselves. It was very, very unusual and by the time Vettel had returned to the pits there wasn't a lot left of the tyre.

I actually think Eddie Jordan might be right on it for once. He speculated that the tyre came off the bead going over the kerb. He's probably right. At the start of the race tyre temperature and pressure will be comparatively low. The tyre will move about more, so once you introduce some extra load into it in the form of the first corner, and other loads in the form of a serrated kerb, it could quite easily have lost some air, enough to not support the car at turn 2.

I think someone put one of these on Vettel's pit box:

drawing_pin.jpg

It was probably Schumacher, as Vettel is close to equalling his 13 win record in one season.

Or maybe he just took too much kerb, i'll let you decide.

^ That's why if I miss a race live I have a total technology blackout until I can watch it back. :lol: Even going on the net can be deadly!

I guess they can't really say stop listening now on the radio like with the tv.

Got to agree with RTL 7.

Alonso said that they have to look after Hamilton because he is good in a bad car but its actually the opposite.

100% true, as the McLaren is the best car and Hamilton is 5th aka second to last of the best racers (2 Button, 3 Alonso, 4 Webber, 5 Hamilton, 6 Massa).

Got to agree with RTL 7.

Alonso said that they have to look after Hamilton because he is good in a bad car but its actually the opposite.

100% true, as the McLaren is the best car and Hamilton is 5th aka second to last of the best racers (2 Button, 3 Alonso, 4 Webber, 5 Hamilton, 6 Massa).

How is the McLaren the best car, exactly? That even the pretty inconsistent Webber can consistently get great qualifying results should be enough of a giveaway that the Red Bull is the top car on the grid.

And as for Hamilton being fifth best on the grid, that's ridiculous. I'm not particularly a fan of his but him, Vettel and Alonso are all right at the top for me, with Button (my favourite of the drivers and most entertaining racer) next and then the rest following behind.

There's still a case to be made for Schumacher being right up there too given his performances in a very much second-tier car.

People need to separate their personal preferences or dislikes for a particular driver from the reality sometimes.

How is the McLaren the best car, exactly? That even the pretty inconsistent Webber can consistently get great qualifying results should be enough of a giveaway that the Red Bull is the top car on the grid.

And as for Hamilton being fifth best on the grid, that's ridiculous. I'm not particularly a fan of his but him, Vettel and Alonso are all right at the top for me, with Button (my favourite of the drivers and most entertaining racer) next and then the rest following behind.

There's still a case to be made for Schumacher being right up there too given his performances in a very much second-tier car.

People need to separate their personal preferences or dislikes for a particular driver from the reality sometimes.

Its tough to say who's "best" as a whole. Its like comparing the taste of an apple to the taste of an orange.....on different days you might like one over the other. Each driver has their great periods.

Red Bull has the best engineering/driving combo. That doesnt mean the tide wont change at some point.

I think that was just some trolling right there. McLaren has closed down the gap but to say that the RB7 isn't the class of the field is nonsense. I haven't seen a single track all year where the RB7 had any problems whatsoever.

And why is Force India still making Sutil sweat?? He's outperformed Di Resta, whose spot is secure. They don't have a better option out there. Why antagonize your No. 1 driver for no reason?

Its tough to say who's "best" as a whole. Its like comparing the taste of an apple to the taste of an orange.....on different days you might like one over the other. Each driver has their great periods.

Some shine more obviously than others, though. And even the best drivers aren't without their problems. Alonso has a short temper. Hamilton makes bad calls. Vettel is still unproven in traffic. They're all still the best guys on the grid though.

Red Bull has the best engineering/driving combo. That doesnt mean the tide wont change at some point.

I didn't imply that it wouldn't. I simply said that the Red Bull is the best car on the grid at the moment.

Got to agree with RTL 7.

hahahahahahahaha :) this is hilarious,

RBR is in a class of it´s own. The car/s has been that since the very late 09.

Hamilton is the one with the most raw talent out of anybody on the grid.
Alonso is the best driver by far on the grid if we talk the full package.
Just look at the race. Starts 5th i believe and within 4-5 corners he´s up ahead of Button in a car that has no place being that high.
And on top of that he´s more or less on the pace as Hamilton in the race.

Vettel is the unknown. We know he does a great job but we also know the car is superior.
Everyone says oh Vettel is so happy etc... You should hear some of the radio transmits from him when stuff doesn´t always go his way.
He sounds like a 5 year old screaming.

But anyway. To really find out Vettel´s true skills he must have a car that is equal to the rest of the top teams. Like Alonso, Raikkonen, Hamilton, Massa all had in 07-08.

We know he´s a master at hotlapping but we don´t know if much of that is because of the car. It´s always easier to go fast in a car that does everything you ask of it.
that´s why you see his lap all nice and clean while Alonso and Hamilton are battling understeer/oversteer just to get the absolute maximum out of the car.

Got to agree with RTL 7.

Alonso said that they have to look after Hamilton because he is good in a bad car but its actually the opposite.).

He actually is - He's the type of driver (much like Alonso) who has the potential to extract the most out of a poor handling car, or a car that isn't exactly planted to the ground, and acting just as you expect or would like it to. Exhaust blowing will be banned next year, so I think it will be interesting to see how Button performs relative to Lewis then - as I do find it rather ironic how Button has really come on now that the exhaust blowing technology has been maximized and the rear of the car has likely become much more stable (something JB really needs in order to be on par with Lewis) on the whole. JB even said some of his recent success has been down to getting the car sorted out and to his liking quite early in the weekend, which again makes me wonder how much of this is down to the EBD (which is quite an efficient & consistant generator for rear downforce).

:lol: That's ironic - Your rating's for "best racers" correspond with the current point standings. I must ask, is this your first year following the sport?

👍

hahahahahahahaha :) this is hilarious,

RBR is in a class of it´s own. The car/s has been that since the very late 09.

Hamilton is the one with the most raw talent out of anybody on the grid.
Alonso is the best driver by far on the grid if we talk the full package.
Just look at the race. Starts 5th i believe and within 4-5 corners he´s up ahead of Button in a car that has no place being that high.
And on top of that he´s more or less on the pace as Hamilton in the race.

Vettel is the unknown. We know he does a great job but we also know the car is superior.
Everyone says oh Vettel is so happy etc... You should hear some of the radio transmits from him when stuff doesn´t always go his way.
He sounds like a 5 year old screaming.

But anyway. To really find out Vettel´s true skills he must have a car that is equal to the rest of the top teams. Like Alonso, Raikkonen, Hamilton, Massa all had in 07-08.

We know he´s a master at hotlapping but we don´t know if much of that is because of the car. It´s always easier to go fast in a car that does everything you ask of it.
that´s why you see his lap all nice and clean while Alonso and Hamilton are battling understeer/oversteer just to get the absolute maximum out of the car

+1. With that said, the RB7 has looked incredibly balanced, strong, and easy to drive on every circuit this year. On the other hand, the Mclaren still has it's poor mechanical compliance (from it's stiffly sprung suspension), while the Ferrari still seems to have a sizeable aero defficiency.

Last edited:
Back