2011 Brazilian Grand Prix

2 hour full re-run for the early morning races at 2PM on the BBC next year apparently. 👍

Yeah that's great news because most people don't catch the live broadcast anyway so its like adding a few extra races to the BBC's haul.

The end montage music video with Kasabian playing around a Red Bull was top notch production as usual.

astrosdude91
So ends the 2011 Formula One season. It's been a fun ride! Can't wait for 2012!

Me too can't wait for the F1 testing and all the speculation about the drivers going to different teams should be great : tup aswell as other motorsports

Where did you hear that?

Anyway, you have to admit it is a bit curious... Webber catches Vettel up then Vettel pretty much holds station thereafter, including setting a fast lap or two along the way. Still, Vettel probably had a problem but I doubt we'll ever know for sure. Not that it matters much to F1 fans or RBR as a team--last race of the season, virtually meaningless for RBR. Even if there were team orders, in this instance, who really cares?

And finish straight donuts? 👍 👍 👍

When is the first test for the 2012 prototypes?

It's in the news from the pitlane. Carried both on the BBC and the STAR broadcast, as well as F1.com.

A bit suspicious that Red Bull were on the radio almost every lap telling Vettel to "Please-God-Please-Slow-The-Hell-Down-Your-Gearbox-is-Going-to-Explode!"... yeah, it was.

Vettel could have stayed ahead of Webber. He was still faster. But if he pushed at full pace, he could have broken the gearbox before the end of the race. He desperately wanted to stick to front-running pace and would slow down after every reminder, only to speed up again as Mark got closer, prompting the team to remind him, yet again, that he had a gearbox problem.

That already happened this year and last year.

Yes but we thought up until now that the BBC was only getting 90 minute highlights for the races Sky have. A full race replay only a few hours after is excellent news.

Yeah that's great news because most people don't catch the live broadcast anyway so its like adding a few extra races to the BBC's haul.

The end montage music video with Kasabian playing around a Red Bull was top notch production as usual.

If the following races are considered as early races:

Australia
Malaysia
Bahrain
Japan
Indian

Then the only races that are properly affected by SKY are:

Canada
Germany
Hungary
Italy
USA

Great news if that's the case. :)

Yes but we thought up until now that the BBC was only getting 90 minute highlights for the races Sky have. A full race replay only a few hours after is excellent news.

It is only highlights. I think you need to re-read. We will only get full re-runs of the live races BBC are showing before 10am. Any of the races that they aren't showing live, we are getting highights - the time of those highlights changes depending how early the actual race was.

So we are not getting a full re-run of Australia. We will get highlights. But we will get a full re-run of China, just as we did this year and in 2010 and 2009.

BBC
Of the other 10, there will be extended highlights programmes on BBC One, of either 90-minute or two-hour duration depending on race location.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/15893254.stm

It is only highlights. I think you need to re-read. We will only get full re-runs of the live races BBC are showing before 10am. Any of the races that they aren't showing live, we are getting highights - the time of those highlights changes depending how early the actual race was.

So we are not getting a full re-run of Australia. We will get highlights. But we will get a full re-run of China, just as we did this year and in 2010 and 2009.

Well that's not AT ALL what Jake just said on the broadcast and obviously others heard it the way I did.

It's unclear...

Ten races will be shown live on BBC One, including the British, Monaco and season-ending Brazilian Grands Prix.

Of the other 10, there will be extended highlights programmes on BBC One, of either 90-minute or two-hour duration depending on race location.

Races in the Far Eastern time zone will have highlights broadcast on BBC One at 1400, with those in the European time zone getting 90 minutes at 1730.

2 hours will pretty much be the whole race anyway but I think you're right in saying that it isn't strictly a full re-run.

2 hours just means more coverage, seeing as most races are around 90mins-2hrs, it is more likely to mean more intro/outro and pundit coverage as well as more shown of the race.
If the BBC just showed the entire race later on, there would be little reason to move to Sky (as if there is already beyond wanting it live). Why call it "highlights" if its a re-run? 2 hour highlights suggests just that to me, not "2 hour re-run".

2 hours just means more coverage, seeing as most races are around 90mins-2hrs, it is more likely to mean more intro/outro and pundit coverage as well as more shown of the race.
If the BBC just showed the entire race later on, there would be little reason to move to Sky (as if there is already beyond wanting it live).

More coverage? There's 45 to 60 minutes of pre-show and 5 to 30 minutes after-show currently.

More than a 90 minute highlights, obviously. 90 minutes of highlights won't feature much coverage, probably 5-10 minutes if a bit more either side of the actual race footage. 2 hours will likely include a bit more in depth coverage though obviously no where near close to this year's 1hour+ of punitry.

More than a 90 minute highlights, obviously. 90 minutes of highlights won't feature much coverage, probably 5-10 minutes if a bit more either side of the actual race footage. 2 hours will likely include a bit more in depth coverage though obviously no where near close to this year's 1hour+ of punitry.

Probably. Qualifying report and a couple of interviews.

I think current coverage (pre-show and after-show) is close to two hours (qualifying + race).

Whatever they can't fit in the highlights will probably be available on the website.

Back to the topic at hand, F1, not the broadcaster.

With the 2011 F1 season over, I can honestly say, it has been the best season for racing I've seen. The DRS was a gimmick, but the Pirelli tyres definitely filled the gap from 2010. Strategy. I sorely missed refueling, but 2011 brought back multi-stop races (unless you drive for Sauber). :lol:

Webber never legitimately passed Vettel this year (apart, maybe, from Germany. I forget.), just goes to show how much pace the kid had over my favourite driver.

Also, when was the last time a driver won their home race? All I can think of is Massa in '08. Any more recent ideas?

Eddie Jordan is disgusting. He really need to stop touching people. I wouldn't be surprised if he slap someone on the ass now.

Jake said a 2 hour re-run, he wouldn't have said re-run if it was highlights. I think the 2 hour bit is just an approximation of how long a race is and the BBC will add or subtract the slot accordingly. I don't think they will be any pre/post show for these re-runs, they might just go straight to the race.

Back to the topic at hand, F1, not the broadcaster.

With the 2011 F1 season over, I can honestly say, it has been the best season for racing I've seen. The DRS was a gimmick, but the Pirelli tyres definitely filled the gap from 2010. Strategy. I sorely missed refueling, but 2011 brought back multi-stop races (unless you drive for Sauber). :lol:

Webber never legitimately passed Vettel this year (apart, maybe, from Germany. I forget.), just goes to show how much pace the kid had over my favourite driver.

Also, when was the last time a driver won their home race? All I can think of is Massa in '08. Any more recent ideas?

If you thought this year was exciting, you would've really enjoyed 2010 and 2008 ... and 2007 and 2009... and 2006, for that matter.

And yes the last time a driver won their home race, if we're not including the "European" GP, was Massa in 2008. Hamilton also won at Silverstone that year.

February I believe.

Thanks! That is a short off-season. More so than other sports, this is really a year-round grind...

I do believe your correct, and Massa does hold that distinction. Although Lewis won the British round at Silverstone that season, so I suppose together they are the last two that have actually won at 'home'.

Lewis Hamilton finds Felipe Massa and gives him a big hug to draw the line under the season, allegedly.

458138050.jpg

Absolutely fantastic to see.

If you thought this year was exciting, you would've really enjoyed 2010 and 2008 ... and 2007 and 2009... and 2006, for that matter.

Well, I started watching the sport religiously in late 2007, start of 2008, so I can comment on these years. I hated 2010. It was dull. I don't care about the championships, I like to see racing, and strategy, not 19 boring one stop races, only spiced up by rain. But this is an argument for another day, and I know I haven't been watching the sport long enough to adjudicate on "best season ever", etc. Just the best season I've seen.

This year does have 2 of my 3 favorite GP's though. How could anyone watching this season forget epic races like Canada or China? or Hungary...In fact, it seems races Vettel didn't win ended up being pretty interesting in my opinion.

The race was O.K the only really interesting part was when Button started working through the pack near the end, given 5-10 more lap i think he could of snatched second although it seemed like Vettel let Webber win today to give him some confidence for next season. I just hope Mclaren have a strong start to the season and Button can give red bull a fright!

Also a bit off-topic, if Sky can beat the BBC ending montage with Kasabian performing in front of a red bull. I'd like to see it.

Having an argument with an absolute tool on twitter on why false radio messages are not cheating. Mclaren fanboy suggested RBR should be penalised for faking Vettel's box problem.

Last edited:
Good to see Webber finally get a win. Knowing Mark he would have probably liked to win by beating Vettel minus his gearbox issue. But I'm sure he'll take it. Great job by Kobayashi to get points in the last two races to secure 7th place for Sauber.

It's been a fun season. I'm curious to see who is and isn't on the grid next year.

Having an argument with an absolute tool on twitter on why false radio messages are not cheating. Mclaren fanboy suggested RBR should be penalised for faking Vettel's box problem.

Unless the person can prove that Vettel had a fake gear box problem then I'll agree with them, otherwise the should shut up. Lewis obviously had a more dire problem with his gearbox hence it ending his race. Also I rather believe the race telemetry and all the fancy data reading in real time that the teams have...rather than someone with their heart out for Mclaren (though I'm a big JB and LH fan). Also Ayrton did it 20 years ago with what would probably be a most certainly inferior gearbox for today's standard, same with Shumi and the list goes on; so why wouldn't a two time world champion with great car understanding and control be able to pull it off. Oh let's not for get Di Resta and Bruno had gearbox issues this race as well and made it, I guess they too faked it.

Either way good luck to you Alex on your argument against the fool. Seeing as you're a Frusciante fan I have all my earnings on you. (I think that is John Frusciante as your avatar)

Back