2011 Hennessey Venom GT

• Thread starter exigeracer
  • 340 comments
Define safely, then realize no car goes those speeds safely. If there's no way for the Venom GT then that also applies to Bugatti.:rolleyes:

It doesn't really matter. If you need a arrow-straight 8.7km private test track or Space Shuttle landing strip to make those numbers, it's totally irrelevant anyway. Joe Public will never get anywhere near 270mph.

How is it irrelevant? It's clearly not or there wouldn't be a record and we wouldn't be discussing it. Since when is the relevance of something measured by how attainable it is by "Joe Public"? Imagine what a boring world we would live in if that was the case?

How is it irrelevant? It's clearly not or there wouldn't be a record and we wouldn't be discussing it. Since when is the relevance of something measured by how attainable it is by "Joe Public"? Imagine what a boring world we would live in if that was the case?

It's like holding the record for driving a production road car on the ocean floor at the greatest depth. It has zero relevance to what owners of such cars will be able to do with them.

But you would like to know its able to do that. You buy a watch and it says you can go X amount of meters below sea level. You're not going to survive X amount, but you like to know your watch can. You're probably not going to take an Evoque off roading, but you would like to know its capable of.

What sort of insecure, lacking in the trouser dept person is secure in the knowledge that their car is capable of doing 270mph?

My watch will supposedly go down to depths of 200m without a problem, yet i've never even worn it in the shower. I bought it because i liked it, not because it has an ability i'll never use.

Facepalming the previous posts. The speed was proven with a GPS. That is good enough for me to believe. My mere cheer of nationalism. Go 'Murica!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Define safely, then realize no car goes those speeds safely. If there's no way for the Venom GT then that also applies to Bugatti.:rolleyes:
It has nothing to do with safety. It's a concern regarding Hennessey delivering under performing cars & shoddy workmanship.

Actually, there is one straight that when cleared could boast 200+. It's in Florida.

Judging by all the TX2K event videos on YouTube, tuners can go 250 mph on any straight if they'd want to. People who come out and play at night with their tuner cars are ridiculously fast.

It has nothing to do with safety. It's a concern regarding Hennessey delivering under performing cars & shoddy workmanship.

Let's put it another way, if Bugatti was confident enough to allow James May to max out the original Veyron at 253 mph, and turn around and not only allow him to break 253 mph (259 mph), but send it to America to allow Tanner Foust to break the 200 mph barrier in the car, then Hennessy should be confident enough to allow the same.

What exactly are you talking about? I'm not questioning Hennessey's press car or the speeds it can hit.

I'm talking about client cars. John has a history of screwing his clientele over by under delivering the cars.

What exactly are you talking about? I'm not questioning Hennessey's press car or the speeds it can hit.

I'm talking about client cars. John has a history of screwing his clientele over by under delivering the cars.
Sorry, I misread.

It's just sickening still how much people believe in anything Hennessey because this "great" workmanship that really only goes into one car (the public car to sell bad workmanship for client cars), and people rave how it holds this speed and yada yada yada.

Though I guess I can rest easy knowing the people raving don't have the money to even buy one much less a performance package from the same company for a Chevy SS or Camaro.

Facepalming the previous posts. The speed was proven with a GPS. That is good enough for me to believe. My mere cheer of nationalism. Go 'Murica!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hardly anybody doubts the car did the speed. But an official record requires back-to-back runs to average out the effects of tail- or headwinds.

It's just sickening still how much people believe in anything Hennessey because this "great" workmanship that really only goes into one car (the public car to sell bad workmanship for client cars), and people rave how it holds this speed and yada yada yada.

Though I guess I can rest easy knowing the people raving don't have the money to even buy one much less a performance package from the same company for a Chevy SS or Camaro.

Thankfully for Venom GT owners, Hennessey only provides the engines. The cars are assembled by respected motorsport engineers, Delta at Silverstone.

Let's put it another way, if Bugatti was confident enough to allow James May to max out the original Veyron at 253 mph, and turn around and not only allow him to break 253 mph (259 mph), but send it to America to allow Tanner Foust to break the 200 mph barrier in the car, then Hennessy should be confident enough to allow the same.
Yeah, I agree. Hennessy should also send the Venom GT to Germany and test it out at Volkswagen's test track.

Oh wait...

Yeah, I agree. Hennessy should also send the Venom GT to Germany and test it out at Volkswagen's test track.

Oh wait...
You missed my point. My point was about consistency. The Veyron can break the 200+ MPH barrier on a consistent basis, which is my point. Not much is really known about the Venom GT on a public scale.

I don't think that's really what's in question though? 200 or even 250 MPH is not a huge deal. A customer car would only need 500 HP or less to break 200 MPH.

As others have said it's more about John Hennessey keeping his promises.

So? Do the Bugatti fans in this thread all drive Bugatti's. I'll bet they can't afford the oil change.:lol:

What's your point..:confused:

I don't think that's really what's in question though? 200 or even 250 MPH is not a huge deal. A customer car would only need 500 HP or less to break 200 MPH.

As others have said it's more about John Hennessey keeping his promises.

So? Do the Bugatti fans in this thread all drive Bugatti's. I'll bet they can't afford the oil change.:lol:

What's your point..:confused:

His point is that its lucky that the people who rave about Hennessey vehicles probably can't afford them, thus protecting them from purchasing upgrades that lack quality and significantly under deliver on what was marketed to them.

Now I am not suggesting that other Auto companies marketing divisions don't embellish figures. However, cheating on the scale Hennessey does is possibly criminal.

Are the engines hand built, or do they require client cars to donate parts, too? :D

Maybe Bugatti should try this if wants to go fast.:sly: Just think how fast it would be with a proper twin turbo V8 with double the factory Bugatti horsepower.:D

Last edited:
If I recall correctly, since 2013 the Super Sport has been limited to 259 mph, so technically the Venom has been the speed leader for quite some time. Unless we're comparing speeds the two cars have been recorded able to reach, in that case the Super Sport still beats the Venom at 273 (on Top Gear right?) and a claim by Bugatti that in tests 280mph was reached several times. So really there is absolutely nothing that is new news here lol.

What performance lie are you speaking of?

The car went 270MPH. Delivery problems are what the question is.

Last edited:
Back