2012 Formula One Santander British Grand Prix

• Thread starter JBanton
  • 602 comments
United Kingdom
London
Jonny-TWC
Being a fan of Formula One from England I just had to take this one :)

silverstone-spectators-track-map.png

The current standings are as follows;

1 Fernando Alonso 111
2 Mark Webber 91
3 Lewis Hamilton 88
4 Sebastian Vettel 85
5 Nico Rosberg 75
6 Kimi Räikkönen 73
7 Romain Grosjean 53
8 Jenson Button 49
9 Sergio Perez 39
10 Pastor Maldonado 29

Constructor's championship is as follows;

1 Red Bull Racing-Renault 176
2 McLaren-Mercedes 137
3 Lotus-Renault 126
4 Ferrari 122
5 Mercedes 92
6 Sauber-Ferrari 60
7 Williams-Renault 45
8 Force India-Mercedes 44
9 STR-Ferrari 6

Now that you know the circuit and the current standings in the driver's championship feel free to discuss. :)

Last edited:
OP needs more. Oh well, here's my bit of help, with Murray Walker as well ;)

Silverstone Circuit

■ Laps: 52 ■

■ Turns: 18 ■

■ Lap record: 1:30.874, Fernando Alonso (2010) ■

Leading the standings

■ Drivers: Fernando Alonso ■

■ Constructors: Red Bull Racing ■

Share this article:

Heading up there on Thursday for the whole weekend for the second year in a row! Going with my Dad this time instead of friends and staying in a B&B instead of camping, can't wait!

PeterJB
Heading up there on Thursday for the whole weekend for the second year in a row! Going with my Dad this time instead of friends and staying in a B&B instead of camping, can't wait!

Lucky, lucky, lucky! Need to get myself down there next year. Have fun! :cheers:

Working there Friday and Saturday before sitting down in a nice grandstand seat on Sunday. Really looking forward to it but I bet it's going to be tiring. TBH I'd rather a cool race than a hot one.

Watching that video and the track still confuses the **** out of me, my mind is so imprinted into the old version of the track. I'd love Michael to win the race but I dont think he will, I think Vettel will have the edge, but we will see. It could be wet (it hasnt stopped raining lately) and that will really make for an interesting show.

I want either Hamilton or a Lotus to win. Also I have a suspicion it will be a wet race this year.

Apropos of nothing, "Pastor Maldonado" is an anagram of "Postal road nomad".

So Britain.

My prediction. Hamilton did it. :P

Seriously though I think the Saubers have a good chance for a good place here and so do the McLarens.

Since it worked the last time. I predict Vettel to win this one easily. Or Hamilton. Or Räikkönen. In fact it is anyones race, there for the taking. Except Alonso.

Watching that video and the track still confuses the **** out of me, my mind is so imprinted into the old version of the track. I'd love Michael to win the race but I dont think he will, I think Vettel will have the edge, but we will see. It could be wet (it hasnt stopped raining lately) and that will really make for an interesting show.

The W03 doesn't have great high speed performance, but if it's cold, Mercedes can be a dark horse.

Owen.C93
Working there Friday and Saturday before sitting down in a nice grandstand seat on Sunday. Really looking forward to it but I bet it's going to be tiring. TBH I'd rather a cool race than a hot one.

We're in Lufield A on Sunday, camping out Banbury way on Saturday.

Not sure what the weather forecast is for the weekend.

Maria de Villota has been injured carrying out a straight-line test of the Marussia MR01, which was intended to check the parts the team is introducing for Silverstone.

Oh good god, that sounds nasty - i hope this early report turns out to be worse than it actually was :scared:

Having said that, no one crashes as well as Maria de Villota.

Predict a Lewis win, with a Button podium and Alonso 4th. Vettel will be 2nd.

Watch my predictions be wrong.

EDIT: Just saw the news about the crash, hope she'll be okay.

Last edited:
Shouldn't we be discussing this in the dedicated thread? Or close it, or merge both (although I'd like to discuss the GP here without sounding that I don't care about Maria's condition, which I do).

Shouldn't we be discussing this in the dedicated thread? Or close it, or merge both (although I'd like to discuss the GP here without sounding that I don't care about Maria's condition, which I do).

Yes.

I've moved the crash related posts to the dedicated thread.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=258025

I can see a case for either, but since there's a dedicated thread, and the crash talk makes the tone of this thread decidedly somber, while making race only related posts seem callous or inappropriate, I think it's best to move the crash only stuff to that thread. I've left a few posts that contained info on the GP and the crash.

Still waiting to find out if I'm a guest of Red Bull Racing this weekend. I'll be sure to post plenty of pictures / gloat if it does happen.

Since it worked the last time. I predict Vettel to win this one easily. Or Hamilton. Or Räikkönen. In fact it is anyones race, there for the taking. Except Alonso.

You mentioned the A word. Now he's got no chance. :sly:

A McLaren update, expected to suit the car well again, lower temperatures (or even rain?!) and a pumped up pair of drivers at their home race...

So which does Maldonado upset this weekend?

Straight fight between Red Bull and McLaren, Vettel and Hamilton will want to overcome Valencia troubles with immediate effect. I do hope button can be fighting at the right end of the field this weekend and that the Ferrari disappears into obscurity once again /biasedopinion.

We're in Lufield A on Sunday, camping out Banbury way on Saturday.

Not sure what the weather forecast is for the weekend.

Stowe A, hopefully get a nice view of some overtakes from Hangar straight the later corners while sitting in front of a big screen for the rest of the lap. I'm getting park and ride from M40 Bicester but haven't decided on a time. Unfortunately no bus lanes on the way but hopefully I can just take a rest on the bus and get there when I get there.
Still waiting to find out if I'm a guest of Red Bull Racing this weekend. I'll be sure to post plenty of pictures / gloat if it does happen.

How'd that come about?

I know a woman who knows a guy is the simplest way I can put it. No idea if I'll get them yet though.

The uncertainty is more exciting than rain it's self
You didn't happen to catch the Monaco Grand Prix, right? Everyone was convinced that rain was coming, but they weren't sure when - so they all drove conservatively to preserve their tyres for as long as possible in case the rain did come, thereby preventing them from needing to make another stop. And it was boring. If just one of the front-runners had taken a gamble on a dry race, things would have gotten very interesting, very quickly.

For the past couple of weeks here the weather has been: rain - sunny period - over-cast - drizzle - sun - rain - brooding dark clouds - heavy but brief downpour - sun and drizzle - rain - on the hour, every hour. There's no reason to believe this weekend will be any different. With a majority of the teams based here, they'll be well aware of what this weekend's weather is likely to bring.

Latest Posts

Back