2012 Malaysian Grand Prix

Once again, you are wrong. He ran consistent wet laps and semi-wet laps, as well as having the third fastest overall lap of the race, which occured in the dry. He was not gifted, he actually had a solid run. The difference between the stuff your spewing about Kovalainen and Perez is, Kovalainen was running in a championship car and only did it once due to being gifted. Sauber don't have (at the moment) a championship car. If anything it's at best fighting for third or fourth fastest on the grid.

I don't understand why what I'm saying is so hard to understand, it's not "wrong," it's an opinion.

What is 100% fact though, and anyone who has raced in real life knows, driving with open air is different than driving in traffic, ESPECIALLY for someone who is in unfamiliar territory. Perez had never been that close to an F1 victory before, he drove well when he was on his own, but as soon as he got close to being able to make a pass, he choked, I called it well before it happened. I was able to call it because I've been there, not in F1 of course, but in low-level open wheel racing, and when you get in unfamiliar territory, regardless of how well you've done in the past, it's mentally tough. I knew he would make a mistake, I called it, and I was right.

He will be lucky to get on the podium again this year. He was doing very well in this particular situation, and I'm not downplaying his performance, but had this been a normal race with normal weather and pit strategies, do you honestly believe he could have passed Button, Webber, Hamilton, Vettel, Kimi, etc, etc? These guys have tons of experience, and it's not easy to pass an experienced champion, regardless if you are lapping faster than they are or not. New developments like DRS would have helped him greatly, but it's not enough. He needs more experience, plain and simple. I think he has a bright future, he just needs time and experience.

To be honest I don't see the point in them even giving celebrities screen time during the grid walk. More often than not it's just cringe-worthy because they know next to nothing about the sport anyway. Hugh Grant last year springs to mind.

I don't really want to know if Owen Wilson has been to a GP before, I'd rather know X driver's plans for the race and what he thinks he can do from his grid slot.

I don't understand why what I'm saying is so hard to understand, it's not "wrong," it's an opinion.

What is 100% fact though, and anyone who has raced in real life knows, driving with open air is different than driving in traffic, ESPECIALLY for someone who is in unfamiliar territory. Perez had never been that close to an F1 victory before, he drove well when he was on his own, but as soon as he got close to being able to make a pass, he choked, I called it well before it happened. I was able to call it because I've been there, not in F1 of course, but in low-level open wheel racing, and when you get in unfamiliar territory, regardless of how well you've done in the past, it's mentally tough. I knew he would make a mistake, I called it, and I was right.

He will be lucky to get on the podium again this year. He was doing very well in this particular situation, and I'm not downplaying his performance, but had this been a normal race with normal weather and pit strategies, do you honestly believe he could have passed Button, Webber, Hamilton, Vettel, Kimi, etc, etc? These guys have tons of experience, and it's not easy to pass an experienced champion, regardless if you are lapping faster than they are or not. New developments like DRS would have helped him greatly, but it's not enough. He needs more experience, plain and simple. I think he has a bright future, he just needs time and experience.

Yeah I do, cause he did in this race doesn't matter the condition. So he made a mistake. Vettel did the same thing last year in Canada which allowed Jenson to gain on him that much more, only to pass and win. He had a world title under his belt and several wins before that, yet he choked. It doesn't matter if you have 1 or 100 years under you, it can happen to anyone. The way you put it, or the way I read it is, that he got lucky. You're not denying that he's good, but this is one of those moments where the stars aligned for him and thus a 2nd place was the result. Hell Senna passed all the same people you just rattled off while in traffic and I believe he had the fifth fastest lap of the race only a few tenths off of Perez.

Dirty air isn't the issue for other drivers, Raikonnen was fighting it out with others and got the fastest lap of the race. If dirty air was an issue, then DRS would be a bit counter productive don't you think. Real drivers also know that that is a game changer and the significance of dirty air is not so big.

Let's be real, the Sauber is backed by Carlos Slim, who has more money than the top three F1 teams put together. There are no budget caps, do you think that a man spending what he does sponsoring his driver in the to tier hasn't boosted the funds since last year to ensure a better car? Same goes for PDVSA and Williams, who we know has increased the amount they give to williams to obviously ensure a faster car. You don't think it's possible that the money and development over the winter is just coming to bloom and these two my be a force to fear. Especially in wet weather which happens at a majority of the tracks on the list.

Either way we will see how the season goes at least to the half way point and then we can say "Told you so". For now it is speculation based on what has been seen now (for me), and what the past has shown (for you more so).

I watched the highlights on iPlayer (BBC is so much better by the way), and noticed that after Vettel and Karthikeyan contacted, Vettel flipped off Karthikeyan a few times. Made me laugh.

I watched the highlights on iPlayer (BBC is so much better by the way), and noticed that after Vettel and Karthikeyan contacted, Vettel flipped off Karthikeyan a few times. Made me laugh.

Already been posted I'm afraid.

Not surprised in the slightest, the irony in his quote about a few idiots being on the road.

In regards to the behaviour of one S. Vettel.

If I was the head of the FIA, he would be sitting out the Chinese Grand Prix in order to reflect on how his behaviour makes my sport look.

Standards gentleman. Standards.

To be honest I don't see the point in them even giving celebrities screen time during the grid walk. More often than not it's just cringe-worthy because they know next to nothing about the sport anyway. Hugh Grant last year springs to mind.

I don't really want to know if Owen Wilson has been to a GP before, I'd rather know X driver's plans for the race and what he thinks he can do from his grid slot.

Something to do with Brundle wonking for Sky?? Rupert Murdoch, news of the world scandals maybe???

In regards to the behaviour of one S. Vettel.

If I was the head of the FIA, he would be sitting out the Chinese Grand Prix in order to reflect on how his behaviour makes my sport look.

Standards gentleman. Standards.

If its with regards to flipping off other drivers, he isn't the first and won't be the last. Race banning for displaying frustration (without being a hazard) is silly.

His "idiot" comment deserves a financial penalty (at most). It could go to HRT to make their car faster. :sly:

If its with regards to flipping off other drivers, he isn't the first and won't be the last. Race banning for displaying frustration (without being a hazard) is silly.

His "idiot" comment deserves a financial penalty (at most). It could go to HRT to make their car faster. :sly:

"Vettel, as punishment for his gestures towards Narain Karthikeyan, will spend the rest of the season as R&D/Test Driver for HRT, alongside competing for Red Bull"

I'd find that quite funny to be honest. Be nice for him to see life as an F1 Driver in an underpowered car for a change.

@roamer, I wasn't saying I don't see why Brundle bothers talking to these people. I know he gets told to by the directors or whatever, you could tell by some of his comments on the grid last year - "I've been told there's *someone* around here somewhere".

I'm just saying I don't like that they do that, the grid walk is for talking to the drivers.

Probably would be better spent paying Karthikeyan some driving lessons...

Vettel should just be getting fined I think, at most a 5 place grid penalty, but this has happened before, didn't Wurz do it at the Hungarian Grand Prix a few years ago?

Someone here mentioned Vettel was quite emotional in a german interview right after the race. Many cookies to the one able to produce a youtube link to that interview. :)

Am I the only one who thinks it was Vettel at fault?

You're not alone*, he could (read, that's could, rather than should, before people jump on my back) have given much more and never left himself in danger, especially with closing speeds of that velocity.

*shakes bushes outside ur hoos

It would be fair to call it 50/50. Which means both drivers could have done some things better.

Racing incidents happen.

The only thing Karthikeyan could have done would be to drive of the track.

He could have backed off the throttle. Or braked. That's two other things. Or he could have not turned like he did.

That's three things.

No need to back off, track wide enough for both and more. No need to brake, for the same reason. And he barely moved right, while Vettel clearly sent his own car to the physical space the HRT was occupying.

It was a clear mistake by Vettel, very similar to Turkey 2010 in fact. "Move over, punk, I own the track"

No need to back off, track wide enough for both and more. No need to brake, for the same reason. And he barely moved right, while Vettel clearly sent his own car to the physical space the HRT was occupying.

It was a clear mistake by Vettel, very similar to Turkey 2010 in fact. "Move over, punk, I own the track"

This:tup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqVGEO0Yp9k

I'm sorry but, that is quite clearly Vettel moving across the HRT, he could have carried on straight, there was no need for him to move across.

You conveniently miss the fact that I suggested three other possible actions Narain could have taken. Vettel was slowly listing to the left. Narain made a sharp turn to the right. Either way, this was discussed all weekend, I'm not getting back into it now. It was a racing incident, clear as day. 50/50.

Karthikeyan said in an interview he got oversteer for having one wheel on the curb and had to move off the curb and while doing that Vettel decided to go left for some reason. I'd say 50/50.

It's a good interview, you can see it in the BBC post race forum where they walk along the dark paddock and talk to a bunch of people (I really liked it) and it shows some insight into what Karthikeyan has to go through being the slowest car on the grid. Also it shows that Narain isn't as big an asshole as most people would have you believe (especially when he talks about the incident with Button).

Back