2012 USA GT Academy champion's thread

BICDRIVER49
Hey guys, I've been a member for a while but haven't been very active. Just wanted to start a thread for everyone if you have questions or comments or whatever!

I will try to keep this updated with info and updates about my races and future activities. So for now catch up on the past with my YouTube channel if you'd like! Here is a link to one of my favorites on my channel. :)

Twitter: SteveDoherty023

Facebook.com/stevedohertyracingdriver

Post away guys!

Thanks,
Steve Doherty

Thanks!

Car: Speed wise and overall craziness has to be the LMPC in the video above! However there is just something SO cool about the GT3 GTR. Fast GT cars are just really cool to me!

Track: I'm going to have to say that Spa was the best. So fast and so flowing. In GT and simulators it can seem somewhat boring. But in real life its just amazing. Sebring is pretty cool too! Silverstone GP is a great track too!

Here is the full race video from Sebring a couple weeks ago. Car is the Skullcandy racing Nissan Altima coupe for the ST class.

A belated congratulations Steve!

So being from the US, do you have a different schedule to that of the previous academy winners from Europe?

How often are you home in the US vs being away?

Thank you!

Yes, the European winners are VERY busy pretty much all year round. Last year was pretty crazy for me as I did the whole Blancpain season. I was away from home about 10 months out of 13. Since November however I haven't done too much. Just one race a couple of weeks ago and only one event for GT6.

Things are still being discussed for this year. Only Nick has plans currently. Hope to find out more here in the next couple of weeks! Show your support over social media, let Nissan (globally and USA) that you guys want to see us out there! It makes a difference!

Hey guys, I've been a member for a while but haven't been very active. Just wanted to start a thread for everyone if you have questions or comments or whatever!

I will try to keep this updated with info and updates about my races and future activities. So for now catch up on the past with my YouTube channel if you'd like! Here is a link to one of my favorites on my channel. :)

Twitter: SteveDoherty023

Facebook.com/stevedohertyracingdriver

Post away guys!

Thanks,
Steve Doherty

Thank you for sharing Steve! :)
Great to see you create this thread, subscribed. 👍 👍
Big fan here, all the best in your endeavors! :cheers:

Last edited:
Thank you!

Yes, the European winners are VERY busy pretty much all year round. Last year was pretty crazy for me as I did the whole Blancpain season. I was away from home about 10 months out of 13. Since November however I haven't done too much. Just one race a couple of weeks ago and only one event for GT6.

Things are still being discussed for this year. Only Nick has plans currently. Hope to find out more here in the next couple of weeks! Show your support over social media, let Nissan (globally and USA) that you guys want to see us out there! It makes a difference!
might be a wild guess, but i hope you get a chance to drive at Bathurst 1000 this year in the wildcard Altima.

Honestly guys, there are no secrets. Hard work and lots of practice go a long way. Have some people ride with you in real cars on track. They might point out things that you're doing that you don't even realize! Always be willing to listen to peoples advice.

Oh yeah, always take video and learn from your own mistakes!

Great to have you posting here, Steve!

Now that you're a pro, how is your new lifestyle different than what you expected?

Last year was great! It was a huge change of pace and a massive leap from what I was used to. I wasn't very comfortable with everything at first. However towards the end of the year I was really enjoying it. (As my race in Navarra reflected) Been extremely bored since November though! Hopefully things will pick back up soon! But I'm very happy with the lifestyle. The life changes and choices that happen now have greatly improved my outlook on everything.

Hopefully soon we will know what our plans are. All of this waiting is driving me crazy!

I am extremely jelly of all GT Academy winners.

I need to get faster...
This so much man. i can only get around 3-5 secs from the top times.

Anyway, it blows my mind that Steve is in the IMSA commercial. From gamer to top level sports car marketing in 2 years is crazy to me.

So what has your racing been like to now Steve?

2 months ~ in the UK getting your International licence, then back home for a few months before Dubai?
Then race in the Dubai 24 hour
Then a season in the Blancpain series in the GTR GT3 going back and forth from home to Europe?

And since that has finished, just 2 races in the US (Mid Ohio and Sebring?)

Is that right roughly?

So you don't know at all what you have on this year? Are you working now or on Salary with Nismo? Just trying to work out how you are surviving if not racing currently.

Close, It was 3 months in the UK getting the license. Back home for a month, then to Dubai.

Then I came home for a few weeks. Returned to the UK where I stayed for months at a time. Only returning home for a couple weeks at a time, sometimes less. About 10 months out of 13 (total accumulated time) I was away from home. Been at home now consistently since last Sept.

I have had 4 total races in the US. 3 of which have ended in mechanical failure. 2 of them I never made a racing lap.

Nothing has been 100% confirmed for this year. Still waiting.

The money thing is a sketchy issue to talk about. I really don't want to get in to it. Take the clues that are obvious to figure it out. Sorry. I'm just not in a position currently to talk about it.

Nothing has been 100% confirmed for this year. Still waiting.

The money thing is a sketchy issue to talk about. I really don't want to get in to it. Take the clues that are obvious to figure it out. Sorry. I'm just not in a position currently to talk about it.

Oh yeah, absolutely mate, not a problem!! I just was wondering because there are no set plans for you yet thats all, must make it hard that's all. Hope I haven't offended or put you in an awkward position.

Lets hope you get some good news soon about their plans for you, hopefully a Nissan attack on the Tudor series! ;-)

Curious to know how much time you guys train on simulators...
...and what kind of torture physical training you are subject to.
Also how much do you feel the heat in the cars?
And so far, your most memorable "pinch myself am I really here" moment?
Please excuse all the questions Mr. Steve. :D

All the Questions are more than welcomed!

I think it's been different for each group of winners. But the sim training we did was pretty good. We trained at IZONE before GT Academy got their own sim. They would have us do 30-45 minute sessions. Usually 2 or 3 sessions. So after that we can pretty much use the GTA sim as much as we needed to. I would put in at least 2 or more hours for each track that I didn't know. Pretty much just go at until we are comfortable with the track!

As far as the physical training goes. It again has been different (evolving?) for each set of winners. But we basically do 1 hour of cardio 4-5 days a week. Also mixing in some strength training session in there along the way. Then some high intensity training from time to time which also included some co-ordination drills. That's the gist of it.

The heat in the car is pretty hardcore at times. The GT4 and cars that I've driven in the USA haven't been too bad. However the GTR is pretty insane. I remember at one point in the Paul Ricard race I literally looked at my feet because it felt like my shoes were melting around them. After that race I had the worst headache of my life later that night from being so dehydrated! The drink system in the car gets to be like drinking hot tea, so its not very refreshing! A couple times it has even failed. (or someone forgets to change it or plug it in properly during the driver change lol) You can pretty much wring out your flame proof underwear like you've been sprayed with a hose after each stint. That's when all of the training really pays off. You cant think about that kind of stuff while racing!

The highlight/pinch myself moment (of my life) so far happened in the FIA GT race in Navarra. We started 11th on the grid for the final race. At the end of the first lap I was 5th, after about 7-10 minutes I had worked my way up to 3rd! When I came on to the front straight, I could see Loeb and his second Redbull team car were the only ones in front of me! At that moment knowing that only Loeb and one other person (his team car) were ahead of me. It was completely unbelievable. "Is this really happening?" actually went through my head... I can not describe the feeling...Just incredible!

All the Questions are more than welcomed!

Steve, thanks much for taking the time to respond! LOL, I guess have to pinch myself now! :bowdown:
Never thought back when I watched the USA 2012 GTA episodes...
... that one day the winner would take the time to answer my questions. 👍 👍

Its really a treat for a GT6 fan like myself to have a glimpse into what you and GumballCGT do!
I think the mods should sticky your threads or maybe even make a section for you all. :cheers:

:gtpflag: :gtpflag:

Back