2012 USA GT Academy champion's thread

Just wanted to inform you guys that IMSA does not want videos posted that are more than 5 minutes long due to TV rights....

I had to make my previous full race onboard's private for now. I will make 5 minute highlight videos of the races when I have time. Another awesome thing about IMSA!

Sorry everyone.

Just wanted to inform you guys that IMSA does not want videos posted that are more than 5 minutes long due to TV rights....

I had to make my previous full race onboard's private for now. I will make 5 minute highlight videos of the races when I have time. Another awesome thing about IMSA!

Sorry everyone.
Pretty dumb considering Kansas wasnt even on TV! Ah well, atleast i was there in person, but nothing beats good ol in car views!

Congrats to you on the win at RA, awesome drive in the wet,too bad about race 2. Where the cars you and Bryan used the CTSCC chassis or something special for PWC? Is it safe to assume that the Pirelli front tire was a much better fit than the space saver Contis they make you guys use? ;)

:cheers:

Thanks for the comments guys! The BOP is much better in PWC. (realistic?) It was pretty special to win at home with family and friends there! Race 2 was a huge shame. Out powered down the straight, then the guy spins a FWD car in the slowest corner on the track and collected me on the way out.

Watkins Glen was just a terrible weekend for the team. I qualified a strong 7th! which was pretty good for our platform. I was pushing very hard, even mowed some grass through the bus stop on one lap trying to use a little too much curb on entry! Then they pulled us in to tech (for 7th?) decided that a part we've been running for 3 years is illegal and sent us to the rear of the field. Even with two full course yellows and a very pushy car, I had managed to move up 16 spots in the first 50 minutes. Handed the car over to Bryan without a scratch on it! We hovered around 20th for most of the rest of the race. Ended up running out of fuel on the last lap. (Miata's have 20 minute longer tank time than us!)

The really bad news came just 3/4 of a lap in to the 33 car's second stint. Another car decided to PIT maneuver it on the straight. This caused a fairly hard frontal impact to the barrier, ending the race and possibly finishing the car for good. Because of this we won't be going to Mosport. Hope to be back on track at Indy!

I'm gonna save up enough money to run with a Miata team just to even the score. Assuming ya'll make Road Atlanta I'm gonna plan on coming up to hangout. GT Academy reunions are the jam!

Sorry for my silly question, are you the winner in the GT academy series 2012 that was broadcasted on Youtube link below ???

I feel bad for the homeless guy, he was trying really hard.

I believe you were the one that competed head to head with some guy during one elimination round and then passed that to get to the top 4 to finally compete against the other top 3 in a 10 laps race to finally got the championship.

Sorry for my silly question, are you the winner in the GT academy series 2012 that was broadcasted on Youtube link below ???

I feel bad for the homeless guy, he was trying really hard.

I believe you were the one that competed head to head with some guy during one elimination round and then passed that to get to the top 4 to finally compete against the other top 3 in a 10 laps race to finally got the championship.

2012 US winner is Steve D - aka @BICDRIVER49 .

Well Indy didn't go so well. We had struggled with brake temps and overall brake torque the whole weekend. Turned in 4 great qualifying laps all within a tenth and ended up 17th. That shows how much of a handicap we have in the BOP...

During the race the brakes were an issue right from the first lap. With the new configuration at Indy, there are now 3 heavy brake zones that really hurt us. IMSA took away some of our brake cooling at the Glen and we just cant keep the temps in line now :/

Had a little early race contact with a Civic that knocked the bumper mount off the front. Eventually it had fallen off and we had to pit a little early to tape it up. Shortly after the driver change the brakes had finally had enough and Bryan had no pedal left. The car was retired after about an hour and a half with brake failure. Pretty frustrating weekend to say the least! Sometimes that's just how it goes.

On to Mid Ohio this weekend for some PWC racing! Fresh off my Road America win and Bryans podium in the TC class we will be looking for some more success at Mid-O!

@BICDRIVER49 - what brake pads do you run? Have the team ever tried Cobalt Friction Technology brake pads? Best brake pads - seriously. The majority of grand am / Tudor / etc teams run them.

Bummer about the bad luck at Indy - sounds like it was a tough weekend for most GT Academy drivers..

Last edited:
We've tried several different pads. including the Cobalt's in different compounds. It's more the fact that we need more cooling, which we had but IMSA took it away. We are the heaviest FWD car so we use the brakes up front more than anyone. Indy is just a brake murdering track now. Hopefully we will be ok at the rest of the circuits.

Steve, you have come a long way from being a virtual driver to a real professional driver. It is great to hear your update on your current progress. Things might slip here and there but sooner or later you will be on the podium again. Good luck!

I have some questions that I always want to ask you:
1. How do you think of GT game physics comparing to real life in term of engine power, handling, feel? Does the game really simulate real life version?
2. Driving the same car on the same track (i assume you have) in both game and real life. Do they handle the same? Do you take similar racing line (assuming it no raining) and braking zone?
3. Do you have ABS system in the cars you have raced with? There is a big debate going on in GT community between the abs-0 and abs-1 in game. I would like to hear your thought on what is closer to real life (abs-0 or abs-1)?
4. Regarding the tuning aspect, what is similar and different from game and real life?
5. Did you go through more additional training before becoming a pro? If so, what kind of training is it?
6. Some say racing is 50% mental and 50% physical? What is your take on that?
7. What have you learned in GT game that helps you a lot in real race?
8. What have you learned in real race that you never learn from GT games?
9. Would you like to share any tips from your real experience on how to drive fast?

Haha, I'm so sorry to overwhelm you with so many questions but I hope you would address these questions when time allow. I greatly appreciate your reply.

2012 GT Academy was the greatest of them all in my opinion(raced all of them since 2008) , Also in the playsttion 3 test and also the race camp (TV show). Steve do you have free time at all now to do other things apart from racing ?

Steve, you have come a long way from being a virtual driver to a real professional driver. It is great to hear your update on your current progress. Things might slip here and there but sooner or later you will be on the podium again. Good luck!

I have some questions that I always want to ask you:
1. How do you think of GT game physics comparing to real life in term of engine power, handling, feel? Does the game really simulate real life version?
2. Driving the same car on the same track (i assume you have) in both game and real life. Do they handle the same? Do you take similar racing line (assuming it no raining) and braking zone?
3. Do you have ABS system in the cars you have raced with? There is a big debate going on in GT community between the abs-0 and abs-1 in game. I would like to hear your thought on what is closer to real life (abs-0 or abs-1)?
4. Regarding the tuning aspect, what is similar and different from game and real life?
5. Did you go through more additional training before becoming a pro? If so, what kind of training is it?
6. Some say racing is 50% mental and 50% physical? What is your take on that?
7. What have you learned in GT game that helps you a lot in real race?
8. What have you learned in real race that you never learn from GT games?
9. Would you like to share any tips from your real experience on how to drive fast?

Haha, I'm so sorry to overwhelm you with so many questions but I hope you would address these questions when time allow. I greatly appreciate your reply.

1. I think the physics are pretty good! Obviously they aren't perfect, however I think you can get 95% of the way of learning how to control a car by using the physics in the game. I am a student of this. I pretty much learned all of my car control technique from playing GT3 for HOURS on end back in the day!

2. This can depend on hundreds of factors. Track temp. Air temp. Tire pressures. Tire compounds. Not to mention all of the adjustability in the actual car. I remember that we Qualified the GTR at Silverstone in the 2:01 range I believe. In GT6 the week prior I ran a 2:00 range lap. (Pre release version) The brake zones and line are very similar. Again they can't be perfect because all of the factors I listed above will have an effect on this.

3. Most modern race cars WILL have ABS excluding prototypes. The Z's, GTR's and even the Altima's have it. I would for sure say running it in the game is best.

4. The tuning in the game can be tricky. Some of it is accurate. however some of the major things like the spring rate changes are backwards! It's hard to say on some of it because it lacks the seat of the pants feel. All you have is oversteer or understeer.

5. The driver development program is very intensive and complete. We had physical training, media training, driver coaching and lots of other stuff going on.

6. I would say it's slightly more mental than physical. 60/40 maybe? Depends on which series and which car you're in! LOL. The prototypes and GTR can be quite a bit physical. The new guys have it easy with their A/C in the GTR now! ;)

7. The main thing is car control and racing line! How to generate lap time is on there too.

8. Real race craft! No AI cars involved lol.

9. Do more of your actual turning earlier in the corner and get on the power early. Beginners over drive slow corners and under drive fast ones!

2012 GT Academy was the greatest of them all in my opinion(raced all of them since 2008) , Also in the playsttion 3 test and also the race camp (TV show). Steve do you have free time at all now to do other things apart from racing ?

I agree! :)

This year has been super busy! I am loving racing so much! Racing has always been my life, so if I'm not at the track I'm usually trying to find a way to get there! But I do have a few weeks off here and there. Normally I take this time to train or work on my own cars.

Thank you so much for answering my questions. You are cool man.

Regarding #5, do they have any training in car control? Race techniques? What kinds of physical training do they do?

Regarding #9, do you mean late apex in the corners (90') that lead to a long straight and early apex on the wide corner that is curvy?

Additional curious question:
10. Did you know how to drive a manual car fast before competing in the academy? How did you transition from a virtual gamer to a professional racer?

11. How is your everyday life like being a professional racer. Do you race everyday, every week or every month?? What kinds of prestige award are all pro racers looking for?

12. Regarding reward, what is consider winning, being the top 10 finish, being the top 5, top 1 in a 24h Nurburgring race for example??

5. The driver development program is very intensive and complete. We had physical training, media training, driver coaching and lots of other stuff going on.

9. Do more of your actual turning earlier in the corner and get on the power early. Beginners over drive slow corners and under drive fast ones!

5. We did some race technique training during DDP. We raced against an instructor who was blocking as hard as he could lol. We did it in the rain too! that was fun. Didn't really do too much as far as car control. All of that skill came from GT games and my days battling bad drivers in oval racing. Physical stuff was cardio, strength training, speed ladders, quickness games and stuff like that.

9. I mean do more of the rotating of the car early in the corner, that way from apex out you are unwinding the steering not holding a steady lock. This doesn't apply to every corner obviously. But is important leading on to long straights especially!

10. I was always studying how to drive a manual as a kid. The first time I ever got to drive one I drove it pretty much perfect lol. I had some good practice during oval racing and was always trying to perfect this while driving to work or school every day on the street, including heel toe shifting. There is a lot to learn about the business of racing and how to be a real professional. I am still learning at every race. That's been the biggest challenge!

11. Last year I only raced 9 times. So there was a lot of down time. (time to train) This year is much busier. I am in the middle of 3 races in 3 weeks right now! Cant complain about that :) Every driver just wants to win. Races, championships or big races. That's the main thing.

12. This depends on many factors. I would say a podium is the main goal every race weekend.

Back