2013 Formula One Spanish Grand Prix

• Thread starter lbsf1
  • 400 comments
United Kingdom
Warwick Uni
lbsf1 GTP_lbsf1
obsmu (my brothers acount)
Formula 1 is back for the European leg of the season, teams are now closer to home and bringing in their big updates. Everyone is rejuvenated and ready to go, ladies and gentlemen, start your engines for the start of the Spanish Grand Prix

2013 Formula One Spanish Grand Prix

spanish-gp2.jpg

Circuit Name: Circuit de Catalunya
First Grand Prix: 1991
Number of Laps: 66
Circuit Length: 4.655 km
Race Distance: 307.104 km
Lap Record: 1:21.670 - K Raikkonen (2008)
2012 Race Winner: Pastor Maldonaldo (Williams)

ab1ic5.png

Enjoy

Last edited:
This is also when we see a myriad of new parts being put on the cars, it should be interesting to see what everyone has.

I hope Lewis can do well but I think Vettel or Alonso might have this one. Pole position will be very important but even if a Mercedes can get it I doubt they could held the entire field behind them the whole race.

I've put Vettel or Alonso but if Lotus can find a bit more pace in qualification it could be Raikkonen or Grosjean as well.

I wish they'd stop having races on Mother's Day. Being a slave to my wife means I can't watch the race until midnight (or later) the following day.

Bah.

Hey, he has one more win than Ivan Capelli. Although, no...the Williams is an absolute dog baby this year.

I think Catalunya could be better for racing if it was just wider. It's funny how people have been spoiled by the awesome racing at the Tilke tracks in this era and are going to start to become frustrated seeing the F1 train running around tracks like this one, Hungary, and even Suzuka (although it's my favorite F1 track to just watch cars go around).

It'll be very hard to tell who's gonna be on top here since everyone's gonna be trying some more substantial upgrades.

I'm looking forward to this weekend. Mostly because I'm going! :D

It's going to be my first Grand Prix, can't wait to hear the cars for real, up close and personal. :drool:

Wardez
I think Catalunya could be better for racing if it was just wider. It's funny how people have been spoiled by the awesome racing at the Tilke tracks in this era and are going to start to become frustrated seeing the F1 train running around tracks like this one, Hungary, and even Suzuka (although it's my favorite F1 track to just watch cars go around).

It'll be very hard to tell who's gonna be on top here since everyone's gonna be trying some more substantial upgrades.

I find the Tilke tracks on the whole boring. Most of the overtaking that takes place on them is down to DRS and KERS (granted there have been a few good overtakes over the years). It's not necessarily Tilke's fault, more the location of the circuits. They always seem to be on large flat areas of land, and result in large, flat circuits which are overly wide.
As for Catalunya, I think recent updates to the track have neutered it somewhat. It used to be a thrill to see cars flat out through the last turn, but now it is just another corner.

I'm looking forward to this weekend. Mostly because I'm going! :D

It's going to be my first Grand Prix, can't wait to hear the cars for real, up close and personal. :drool:

That's neat, have fun!

I recall my first in-person F1 race, the 1982 Long Beach GP. The V-12 Matra impressed with it's shrieking sound, the turbo Ferrari of Villeneuve by it's flapping wings, Andrea deCesaris by his wall-grazing pole lap, and Lauda+McLaren by a dominant win.

enviously,
Steve

PS, my first live-broadcast F1 race was the 1964 finale, the Mexican GP, which featured a thrilling 3-way battle for the Championship.

Last edited:
I definitely can't call this one. I will nominate either Lotus, and a surprise win by Massa, Button or Sutil. I'm pushing for Mercedes this year so hopefully Lewis or Nico get on the podium.

FP1 and 2 will definitely cause a stir with more non-involved F1 fans 'cause they'll see teams scattered all over the place. We won't know who the front runners will be till FP3 at the earliest, and even then, from morning to afternoon, when quali starts, things will change still.

Going by testing, Merc was pretty strong, but they're trying to develop more for race pace rather than quali so they could be more timid on Saturday than before.

I'm pretty sure that the race winner is one of: Vettel, Alonso, Hamilton or Räikkönen, and if I were to rank which has the best chance it would be in that order as well. Each are sitting in a car that has the potential to win and each is better than his teammate. I don't see any other car that has the potential to win this year other than RB, Ferrari, Mercedes and Lotus with the majority of wins coming from the first two. (Except obviously for the fabulous win by Bianchi for Marussia at the Monaco GP)

I guess it's no surprise to anyone that I'm really hoping for a Vettel cruise from pole to first place finish. Go Seb 👍 You the man!

I'm pretty sure that the race winner is one of: Vettel, Alonso, Hamilton or Räikkönen, and if I were to rank which has the best chance it would be in that order as well. Each are sitting in a car that has the potential to win and each is better than his teammate. I don't see any other car that has the potential to win this year other than RB, Ferrari, Mercedes and Lotus with the majority of wins coming from the first two. (Except obviously for the fabulous win by Bianchi for Marussia at the Monaco GP)

I guess it's no surprise to anyone that I'm really hoping for a Vettel cruise from pole to first place finish. Go Seb 👍 You the man!

I've actually thought about that exact thing happening.

James Allison left Lotus.

Sad day for the team and its fans.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/107258

He's immediately on garden leave, as per usual when a team member switches to a rival. Nick Chester is his replacement:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/107260

James was very good with aero, he helped give Schumi his first two WDCs with Benetton then switched to Ferrari in 2000 for five seasons... and we all know what happened there... He and Rory Byrne lit the world on fire together. Then he went to Renault (or back to Benetton) from 2005, where he helped Alonso win two WDCs. Now he's signed a contract with... someone. The team that picked him up will be announcing him soon, he can't say anything till then of course. A lot of people are thinking Ferrari's picked him up again, to work with Rory Byrne yet again on their 2014 effort.

It's still completely beyond me how you could want that. Fair enough, you want your guy to win, but you want it to be boring as well? You wouldn't rather him win it with a double overtake on the final lap? :odd:

Vettel cruising from pole to flag in a dry Spanish Grand Prix? I literally cannot think of a worse way to spend sunday afternoon, and I consider myself a Vettel fan.

The thing is in barcelona, it's probably gonna be like this. Except I hope it's not Vettel. I would like an exciting championship not one that is done after 13-14 races. There's very very very few overtaking possibility now with the new layout and if you use kers the way you should there's barely any possibility to overtake even with DRS.

It's still completely beyond me how you could want that. Fair enough, you want your guy to win, but you want it to be boring as well? You wouldn't rather him win it with a double overtake on the final lap? :odd:

Vettel cruising from pole to flag in a dry Spanish Grand Prix? I literally cannot think of a worse way to spend sunday afternoon, and I consider myself a Vettel fan.

This isn't Nascar, there's more to the race than who wins. I couldn't care less about where Vettel was after he took the lead in Bahrain, the racing down the field was awesome and, so far, my favorite of the season.

Last edited:
That's neat, have fun!

I recall my first in-person F1 race, the 1982 Long Beach GP. The V-12 Matra impressed with it's shrieking sound, the turbo Ferrari of Villeneuve by it's flapping wings, Andrea deCesaris by his wall-grazing pole lap, and Lauda+McLaren by a dominant win.

enviously,
Steve

PS, my first live-broadcast F1 race was the 1964 finale, the Mexican GP, which featured a thrilling 3-way battle for the Championship.
Were you there when they invented the wheel too? lol dinosaur

Obvious glory hunter is obvious.

James Allison left Lotus.

Sad day for the team and its fans.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/107258

He's immediately on garden leave, as per usual when a team member switches to a rival. Nick Chester is his replacement:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/107260

James was very good with aero, he helped give Schumi his first two WDCs with Benetton then switched to Ferrari in 2000 for five seasons... and we all know what happened there... He and Rory Byrne lit the world on fire together. Then he went to Renault (or back to Benetton) from 2005, where he helped Alonso win two WDCs. Now he's signed a contract with... someone. The team that picked him up will be announcing him soon, he can't say anything till then of course. A lot of people are thinking Ferrari's picked him up again, to work with Rory Byrne yet again on their 2014 effort.
That's actually quite sad. It was fun having an extra quick team in the field alongside. They'll probably fall behind after he leaves.

Did Mclaren get a replacement for Paddy Lowe yet? It could be where Allison's going.

This isn't Nascar, there's more to the race than who wins. I couldn't care less about where Vettel was after he took the lead, the racing down the field was awesome and, so far, my favorite of the season.
You're half right. In Bahrain it was so much fun watching the mid-field battle that I forgot Vettel was in the lead until the chequered flag. I immediately got a horrible "NOT AGAIN" feeling in my stomach though.

Merc better get their **** together. What's this, the 4th season in a row they complain about overusing their rear tyres? Besides that it'd be wonderful to get a surprise win. Massa and Webber aren't that good in this track, so my only hopes are for miracle wins by Rosberg or Button. At least Raikkonen or Alonso, just not Vettel again.

Most of the site I've read are saying that Allison is probably going to Ferrari. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I don't like the idea of giving race stewards even mote control of the standings; while they aren't representatives of the FIA, local bias could make an impact on the championship. Are they subject to appeal? Why ding a driver who's committed a violation which has little to no bearing on the championship, such as pit lane speeding? Seems odd, but I suppose it's to take care of the truly dangerous driving habits that sometimes occur...still, many are "racing incidents", of which 50/50 blame is best apportioned, and resolved with a handshake.

Ferrari, so sneaky getting aero testing done before anyone else xD

The helicopter is clearly a movable aerodynamic device with a fan mounted upon it, no less.

Since it's Ferrari, this is clearly a sneak peek at the new rules for 2015.

Back