2014 Improving Driving Skills In Real Life

• Thread starter drspeedy
  • 15 comments
soo yeaah what do you guys do to improve your driving skills in real life ????

I find an empty super market parking lot, and I walk it...detailing each dip and bump and crack.

Then I run it doing the same thing

Then I take my bicycle and do the same thing

Then I drive it...but not fast no sir, I drive it slow like my grandmother 5mph max. This all takes about a couple months and finally it's time...

I go shopping.

Last edited:
My instruction of how to improve driving in real life. Drive fast enough in the game and hope for the best that you will be selected for Silverstone camp final. Drive whatever real car that they bring it to you. Done!

I was at the race camp last year and all I did before race camp was going to the nearest gocart club three times. My tips for you guys (based on my own experience) is following:

1. Do a little bit of gocarting, not so much because we didn't do anything at the race camp.
2. Learn how to shift fast, on the long straights you can earn enough time to make that overtake you need to do, we only used 3rd, 4th and 5th gear in the 370z race cars.
3. Heel and toe is very good to avoid locking up the rear (which I did all the time, especially in the rain) when downshifting. Miguel could do heel and toe by the way.
4. If you have the chance, get some seat time on a track! You should not be scared when you are going over 150 kph (as me lol).
5. Doing a little bit of drifting into the corners is NOT the fastest way irl. Smooth driving and trail braking is the key.
6. To set a fast time, you must now your brakingpoints to 100% and all overtakes in the races was always when braking (into brooklands always I think).
7. Make sure your aircondition is turned on because mine wasn't and I got fogg over the whole window, in the final race! 🤬

Edit:
8. Try Assetto Corsa, I really think it can improve your driving skills irl. It's for pc only though.

I was at the race camp last year and all I did before race camp was going to the nearest gocart club three times. My tips for you guys (based on my own experience) is following:

1. Do a little bit of gocarting, not so much because we didn't do anything at the race camp.
2. Learn how to shift fast, on the long straights you can earn enough time to make that overtake you need to do, we only used 3rd, 4th and 5th gear in the 370z race cars.
3. Heel and toe is very good to avoid locking up the rear (which I did all the time, especially in the rain) when downshifting. Miguel could do heel and toe by the way.
4. If you have the chance, get some seat time on a track! You should not be scared when you are going over 150 kph (as me lol).
5. Doing a little bit of drifting into the corners is NOT the fastest way irl. Smooth driving and trail braking is the key.
6. To set a fast time, you must now your brakingpoints to 100% and all overtakes in the races was always when braking (into brooklands always I think).
7. Make sure your aircondition is turned on because mine wasn't and I got fogg over the whole window, in the final race! 🤬

Edit:
8. Try Assetto Corsa, I really think it can improve your driving skills irl. It's for pc only though.
many thanks for sharing this with us

If you are in the US I would look for your local SCCA regions or BMW clubs and go to every autocross you can. Several of the guys in the final races at Silverstone (for the US at least) were multi-time national autox champions. I will warn you that autox takes years to get really good and that is if you have lots of natural ability, else it can take much longer. Its a bit more intense than driving on a track and the rate of thinking that is needed is MUCH higher. If you get really really good at autox, track driving will seem very simple since everything happens much slower.

If you are in the US I would look for your local SCCA regions or BMW clubs and go to every autocross you can. Several of the guys in the final races at Silverstone (for the US at least) were multi-time national autox champions. I will warn you that autox takes years to get really good and that is if you have lots of natural ability, else it can take much longer. Its a bit more intense than driving on a track and the rate of thinking that is needed is MUCH higher. If you get really really good at autox, track driving will seem very simple since everything happens much slower.

But racing with other cars is sometimes difficult for the cone warriors :)

As others have said, prepare BEFORE you get to the track - cannot stress this enough. Everyone thinks they will be fast in a real race car, everyone thinks they will pick up the details when they get there... It's a waste of track time learning the basics you could have mastered in advance (particularly how to race with a manual transmission - bad footwork will not lead to fast lap times or a reliable race car). Fitness is also important, you'll be much more comfortable and make clearer decisions if you're not physically worn out after 5 laps. Put it this way, every time I've done a track day after slacking off on workouts or karting time, I've regretted it. Even a little bit of extra time in the gym (running outside, etc) and one long day at the kart track will make a huge difference in how you feel on your race day. Don't know if you all have seen the video but the fastest alien in iRacing was also quick at the track, but he yacked all over himself.

More to the point of the OP, I think the two easiest things you can do on a daily basis to improve your driving are - get a car with a (6-speed) manual and practice rev matching downshifts until you do it habitually even in traffic; and play different kinds of racing games, so you get a greater perspective on the dynamics of race driving as a whole. Drive different cars, practice lapping alone as well as against other cars, do some autocross for pure technique and sheer complexity (too bad not that many games have autocross). Get good at slalom driving since even the fast guys often stumble on that. As with anything: practice, practice, practice.

Last edited:
But racing with other cars is sometimes difficult for the cone warriors :)
Nice thing is all the wheel to wheel racecraft stuff can be practiced racing wheel to wheel in Gran Turimso. It lets you practice all those skills of watching the cars around you, and finding a way to pass or prevent being passed etc. But great racecraft won't matter if you don't have incredible real car driving skills, and any multi-time national autox champion has that in spades because they are out competing against other top US drivers almost every weekend during the season, often in nearly identical cars.

@Filip_Ovik, but your point #8 is a bit weird, is Assetto Corsa more realistic GT6?
Yes, it's definately more realistic! If you are serious I think you should buy it because it doesn't cost much (especially if you compare a real life track day) and it will bring smiles to your face :) In AC you can really feel how the weight changes and moves around the car and I think that is the biggest thing you have to learn going from a racing game to reality.

Back