2015 Ford Mustang - General Discussion

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 6,247 comments
~20 years ago Ford tried a radical new downsized Mustang design without a V8 option:

ford_probe1989.jpg

After getting bombarded by nasty letters and phone calls from Mustang fans, Ford made it a whole new car and named it after a rectal thermometer.

Hey, don't hate the Probe, while it was ridiculous to try to sell it as a Mustang, it wasn't such a horrible car at all. I really like the looks of the newer models actually.

Blackbird.
Well I'm glad I bought mine when i did if the EVOS is anything to go by. :scared:

If Ford ditches retro then the current model's resale value should raise. Your car might be a classic in 30 years. 💡

Ford made it a whole new car and named it after a rectal thermometer.

This made me laugh 👍

2015-mustang-by-digikustoms.jpg

I'd be ok with that. ^^

I agree with this one being the best looking, and it has cues from the evos concept, the moment i saw this one a couple weeks back I thought it would make a sweet mustang. Looks small and light too, which is what they want to do.

I don't know... it doesn't look half bad.

Obviously, the headlights have to change. It's really the top that should have the strong horizontal line, not the other way around. But otherwise, it's not bad.

Until the current generation, there was no hard and fast rule stating that the Mustang had to be slavishly retro. I mean, sure, it had to have lots of useless wings, non-functional scoops, shaker-hood ornaments and the like, but it didn't have to be slavishly retro.

That said, I quite liked the design when it came out, but it's about time the Mustang evolved. If it can keep even a moderately aggressive face while ditching the barn-door aerodynamics (and the hood flapping shenanigans that causes), all the better!

The EVOS does look like a nice car in itself. But imagining it as a Mustang doesn't seem to work for me. But as far as retro, I thought the '05-'09 were not that great looking. Granted i'm biased but I believe this bodystyle is one of the best looking. The '00-'04s being a close second.

In my opinion that red rendering looks much more like european styling than the Viper that people just recently stopped whining about. Me myself I won't mind how it looks either way as long as it looks sporty and proves its look by following through on the road.

People discredit the Mustang II, but it is the Mustang that saved the Mustang name. By 1973 the Mustang had grown to such preposterous proportions that it no longer retained the character of the original. The Mustang II, while flawed for sure, brought the Mustang back to a more manageable size...and it has been growing ever since. A retro-fox body might actually be a cool idea, as long as the size was roughly the same.

The only thing that keeps me away from getting a new mustang is the exterior styling. It's just too backwards. I don't mind the interior actually, but the exterior deserves a more contemporary treatment. The Mustang isn't a muscle car, why should it be cursed to look like one for eternity? The Mustang is it's own segment. It created the segment, and it's been the only continuous player in it. We need a reinvention for the Stang. Keep the basic formula the same; that being a V8 and rear wheel drive but lets have IRS for once!

... We need a reinvention for the Stang. Keep the basic formula the same; that being a V8 and rear wheel drive but lets have IRS for once!

We had IRS for a little while. I'm with you... I'd like it back, but with less weight.

If you call the Evos a Mustang then you can call a Dart a Viper.

dodge073.JPG

Yes?

Unlike the Corvette or Mustang, Dodge have tried, over the years, to match the Viper with the family styling. (I could go back earlier and match the Viper to the Intrepid, but this makes the point just as well).

The Corvette's styling is all its own, but then, it's a supercar. The Mustang is a regular production vehicle at a much lower price, and it really should reflect the family styling of the Ford stable.

Eunos_Cosmo
People discredit the Mustang II, but it is the Mustang that saved the Mustang name. By 1973 the Mustang had grown to such preposterous proportions that it no longer retained the character of the original. The Mustang II, while flawed for sure, brought the Mustang back to a more manageable size...and it has been growing ever since. A retro-fox body might actually be a cool idea, as long as the size was roughly the same.

The only thing that keeps me away from getting a new mustang is the exterior styling. It's just too backwards. I don't mind the interior actually, but the exterior deserves a more contemporary treatment. The Mustang isn't a muscle car, why should it be cursed to look like one for eternity? The Mustang is it's own segment. It created the segment, and it's been the only continuous player in it. We need a reinvention for the Stang. Keep the basic formula the same; that being a V8 and rear wheel drive but lets have IRS for once!

The solid axle under there is very good for a solid axle. The problem with them is the stock suspension.

If you call the Evos a Mustang then you can call a Dart a Viper.

Why? The Dart has nothing to do with the Viper, whereas the Evos would - presumably - have many of the defining characteristics of the Mustang, such as RWD, a coupe profile, powerful engines and so on.

There's not liking the styling of the Evos, and then there's making up random crap to justify why something shouldn't be something in your head. Your post leans a lot closer to the latter than it does the former.

I loved the modern retro of the Mustang when the 2005-ish model came out. When I got into cars back in 1998, I became used to the mid-1990s Mustang models and even loved the late 1990s, early 2000s Mustangs. Even I eventually got to love the late 2000s Mustangs. If this is where the 2014-2015 Mustang is going style-wise, no me gusta (I don't like it).

I showed most of my friends that are into cars and they all think it looks like trash.

I showed most of my friends that are into cars and they all think it looks like trash.

Are they into $1500 junkers from around the time your parents were born?
Them being into some cars, means very little.

Sorry but the EVOS concept is garbage,period.
If they are going to base a new mustang off ANY concept, just use the Giugara <- not proper spelling, and update from it.

I had more but in an effort not to troll,insult or attack others for having an opinion, i refrained. How about some of you doing the same.

One thing i would like to add is i'm tired of seeing Aston Martin styling showing up on everything, great butter jeebus, can't they come up with something tasteful AND original?
They only spend millions on "art design".....

One thing i would like to add is i'm tired of seeing Aston Martin styling showing up on everything, great butter jeebus, can't they come up with something tasteful AND original?
They only spend millions on "art design".....

This pretty much. I think it's spelt Giugiaro (concept you were referring to).

PS, Just to add, i think i'd be interested to see what a Fox-body retro design could look like, low belt-line could work maybe.. it would definitely stray away from the current trend ie: Camaro/Dodge Challenger.

Last edited:
Stop the press: Slashfan's friends now the arbiter of car design and the future of motoring.

Well no not necissarily I was just getting their opinion on it. Just what they think doesn't mean the whole country or world thinks that.

EDIT:

Kind of off topic but this actually doesn't look too bad:

80621d1287466900-leaks-fox197.jpg

I think the mustang looks great, and so does the camaro (for once) this generation.

kill, and I mean KILL the live rear axle at the back, bring in double wishbone, or atleast independent MacPherson strut suspension this time.

I concur, Mustang II all over again, and by that I mean failure (In my eyes). They should explore retro-styling with the 1971 - 1973 body style at least. OR as said above a fox body type theme, that would be pretty interesting to see.

Last edited:
I concur, Mustang II all over again, and by that I mean failure. They should explore retro-styling with the 1971 - 1973 body style at least. OR as said above a fox body type theme, that would be pretty interesting to see.

Mustang II didn't look as bad as this. I think the only reason people though the Mustang II looked bad was because it came out right after a long era of fantastic looking cars. I mean for real, these really don't look that bad:

TwoKingCobras%20004.jpg

This company makes all sorts of classic retro Mustangs out of S197's.

http://www.retrobuilt.com/

And here is one that's not on there that takes after 1968

\
01-1968-style-s197-mustang.jpg

And somewhere (I can't remember where) I saw an S197 conversion for the 1971-1973 and Mustang II eras.

Give me a modern version of this, and I'll be very happy:

800px-1977-1986_Ford_Capri_S_coupe_%282010-12-28%29.jpg

Classic shape, with modern lines. Make it handle fairly well, use modern powertrains.

Mustang/Capri S: 2.0L EcoBoost I4, 240 BHP
Mustang/Capri SE: 3.7L V6, 300 BHP
Mustang/Capri SE Turbo: 3.5L EcoBoost V6, 360 BHP
Mustang/Capri GT: 5.0L Coyote V8, 420 BHP

Give it a legitimate version of the Powershift automatic, with paddle shifters, and it could easily be a knock-off 3-Series for 1-series money. They'd sell kaboozles in the UK, Australia and the US. The only problem would be the size requirements of the vehicle. But, seeing as how the next Mustang is supposed to be on a larger, multi-purpose chassis that is to be shared globally (read, Falcon), it just might work.

Back