TenEightyOne
UPDATE: 2015 Practice and Quali Times:

Free Practice 1, 2 & 3

Practice.png

Quali
Quali.png

Race Result

MonacoResult2015.PNG

F1 is back in Monte Carlo, the place once described by Somerset Maughan as "a sunny place for shady people".

The Monaco Grand Prix is a Formula One motor race held each year on the Circuit de Monaco. Run since 1929, it is widely considered to be one of the most important and prestigious automobile races in the world and, alongside the Indianapolis 500 and the 24 Hours of Le Mans, it forms the Triple Crown of Motorsport. The circuit has been called "an exceptional location of glamour and prestige." (Wiki)

Circuit Map (Updated by @V0RT3X , thank you!)

monaco.jpg

Rosberg's 2014 Pole Lap

Last edited:
Sky Sports' Classic Races for this weekend;

Wednesday - 1993 & 1994
Thursday - None
Friday - 2003
Saturday - None
Sunday - 2015

Where are 1996 and 1997? The two best Monegasque GPs in history, thanks to lashings of rain.

Special kudos to 1982, 1984 and 1992 as well.

Last edited:
The most memorable Monaco for me was 1984. The gifted Stefan Bellof qualified 20th and last with a Tyrrell down by 150 hp. When the rains came, he began catching everyone hand over fist! Had not the race been curtailed at 31 laps, he may well have won. As it was, he shared the podium with Prost and Senna. IMO, Bellof was incredibly talented, too brave, and one of racing's greatest "might have been".

Bellof in a Tyrrell 012 at the 1984 Dallas Grand Prix.

I thought Bottas' description last week was quite comical, just by his facial expression..
Something like, "we have good speed, but still lack in the corners... which is exactly the opposite of Monaco.."

He looked like he knew this will be a tough one before even entering the country.

The most memorable Monaco for me was 1984.

Memorable for a number of reasons; it was the only wet race of that season and was (some say) the point where Senna's paranoia about The F1 Establishment began.

Rothmans-Porsche driver Jacky Ickx red-flagged the sodden race to give Prost (with his Porsche engine) the win. Ickx was later suspended from Race Control duties for his actions but it didn't give Senna the win back - he'd been first past the flag but second on countback. It later transpired that Senna's car might not have completed many more laps due to damage but the damage to Senna's pride was far greater.

Memorable for a number of reasons; it was the only wet race of that season and was (some say) the point where Senna's paranoia about The F1 Establishment began.

Rothmans-Porsche driver Jacky Ickx red-flagged the sodden race to give Prost (with his Porsche engine) the win. Ickx was later suspended from Race Control duties for his actions but it didn't give Senna the win back - he'd been first past the flag but second on countback. It later transpired that Senna's car might not have completed many more laps due to damage but the damage to Senna's pride was far greater.
Red flags have never been a race to the flag on the lap it's waved, it always goes back to the previous lap.

Red flags have never been a race to the flag on the lap it's waved, it always goes back to the previous lap.

There was no suggestion that they would; if Senna had been allowed to complete another lap then he would have won. As it was Ickx favoured his employer (according to Senna) and waved the flag once Prost was passed. That autonomous decision cost Ickx his Race Control duties.

There was no suggestion that they would; if Senna had been allowed to complete another lap then he would have won. As it was Ickx favoured his employer (according to Senna) and waved the flag once Prost was passed. That autonomous decision cost Ickx his Race Control duties.

And maybe it cost Prost the championship. He got 4,5 points for the win and would have received 6 points for p2 and full race length. Bellof was coming very fast from behind and would take the win because Sennas car was damaged in a way that it was unlikely to complete the race. So Prost would probably finish 2nd without the red flag and take the championship.

Last edited by a moderator:

As you noted, Senna would never have won that race anyway. Either his car would have failed, or Bellof would have caught him.

If I recall, Prost never actually passed the flag. He stopped at the line, and Senna passed him at that point. But when a race is stopped, the results are always taken form the previous lap, so Prost got the win.

As it happens, with the half points awarded, it didn't help Prost in the championship either. If the race had been allowed to go to at least 75% then full points would have been awarded. Even if Prost had finished 2nd, (only Senna (with damaged car) and Bellof were catching him so that's not beyond the realms of possibility) then the 6 points for that would have been more than the 4.5 he got for winning. He lost the championship to Lauda by half a point in '84...

EDIT: Tree'd somewhat.

If Bellof had won, it wouldn't have counted because Tyrrell were disqualified from the 1984 championship.

Prost is overtaken.
Senna retires.
Bellof wins.
Bellof disqualified.
Prost wins.

As you noted, Senna would never have won that race anyway. Either his car would have failed, or Bellof would have caught him.

If I recall, Prost never actually passed the flag. He stopped at the line, and Senna passed him at that point. But when a race is stopped, the results are always taken form the previous lap, so Prost got the win.

As it happens, with the half points awarded, it didn't help Prost in the championship either. If the race had been allowed to go to at least 75% then full points would have been awarded. Even if Prost had finished 2nd, (only Senna (with damaged car) and Bellof were catching him so that's not beyond the realms of possibility) then the 6 points for that would have been more than the 4.5 he got for winning. He lost the championship to Lauda by half a point in '84...

EDIT: Tree'd somewhat.
Bellof would have gotten DQ either way as he was already under weight.

If Bellof had won, it wouldn't have counted because Tyrrell were disqualified from the 1984 championship.

Prost is overtaken.
Senna retires.
Bellof wins.
Bellof disqualified.
Prost wins.

Oh right, I totally forgot about that. So Prost did lose his championship. In the motorsport-total forum, I read about Lauda begging Ickx to stop the race because of the conditions (he didn't drive for safety reasons in the rain) which, if true would have been a brilliant move by him.

Edit: Ahh forget about the Lauda part, I thought of a different race. Lauda did drive a poor race in Monaco and got 0 points

Oh right, I totally forgot about that. So Prost did lose his championship. In the motorsport-total forum, I read about Lauda begging Ickx to stop the race because of the conditions (he didn't drive for safety reasons in the rain) which, if true would have been a brilliant move by him.

Lauda did drive and spun off during the race; he didn't retire the car voluntarily like in 1976.

I'd quite like a wet race this year. Three of the best (1984, 1996 and 1997) Monaco has produced were wet races.

That fabulous drive from Bellof put him on course for becoming a Ferrari driver alongside Alboreto. It wasn't to be, sadly. True the late 80's weren't Ferrari's finest anyway, but I bet Bellof could've scored a few wins there and be a pain in the McL-Hondas backside. We'll never know ...

Ickx was wrong with that decision and I was really mad at him as I watched (I didn't like Prost since his Renault years because he demanded team orders to get a French GP win from Arnoux, but Arnoux showed them all the middle finger, with my approval :D ).

Later that year, however, I was at Estoril cheering each and everyone of Lauda's overtakes from the midpack to the front, and was part of the explosion of joy when he finally reached second (I think Mansell's Lotus retired with only a few laps to go), thus securing his 3rd championship, almost 10 years (and a comeback) after his first. One of F1's all-time greatest, and I was there for his swann song.

The forecast I've seen suggests a wet Thursday with Saturday and Sunday likely to be dry.

Beeb reckon (at time of writing) intermittent rain on each day (Thurs, Sat, Sun) with a nice shopping day on Friday :D (Link, is live so may change)

Stopping the race was the correct decision but (as we saw at the time) the decision should have been made by Race Control properly, not just by Ickx. That was why Ickx was suspended. Had the race stopped a lap or two later then Senna would have collected the prize money and the recorded win, not Prost. Any longer and Senna was sure to retire as we know.

That's correct and I'd misremembered :) The net effect was the same though.

If there's a place where Maldonado really can clear the way, it has to be Monaco.

2009 (pushes Kobayashi out of the race)

View attachment 369913

View attachment 369860

View attachment 369919

View attachment 369920
View attachment 369921
View attachment 369922

View attachment 369924

His Lotus decided not to start at all, instead of eventually being smashed into something.
Plus in 2005 when he hit a marshal through Massanet... PDVSA basically paid Monaco loads of money to even let him back in the country after that.

BBC predicting rain on all three days. Would be nice to see that. The last wet Monaco was 2008, and it was one of the best Monaco GP's ever. Always seems to get missed by people when talking about Classic races around the Principality...

Maldonado, who hasn't yet reached the finish at Monaco, still hasn't finished a race this season without a calamity along the way.

Australia: Not really his fault
Malaysia: Not really his fault
China: Classic Pastor
Bahrain: Parks in the wrong grid slot, wrongly. Kills the car during the pitstop and somehow finishes.
Spain: Squeezes his team mate and gets off worst.

Lotus need his money, but need him to pick it up a bit. If he screws up in Monaco, Lotus should let Palmer race in Canada as a one-off, to try and coax Pastor into turning the season around. IIRC, HRT did that to Bruno Senna in 2010, and it worked really well. Maybe it might be the wake up call Maldonado needs.

Latest Posts

Back