2015 NASCAR Thread - And then there was 1

• Thread starter Jahgee
  • 10,978 comments
I can't deny it, I laughed at this one;

11222583_1009273279115439_2113851400052802691_n.jpg

:lol:

That could have been Kyles 5th win. I dont watch much Nascar, but tuned in for the road course. Hes on a roll and if he and JGR keep it up, I think hes gotta be a serious champion contender.

Indeed. I was sad to learn we lost Buddy Baker. Equally sad is another personality lost to cancer. Buddy Baker was diagnosed with lung cancer about a month ago or so. Still, sad Buddy Baker lost his fight with lung cancer.

The 200 MPH feat is kind of BS, but I'm not going to go into it today.
Buddy was more than just the 200 MPH guy. A good driver and much better broadcaster, Buddy wasn't nearly as good as his father (And he'd agree with me on that), but he had a long career very few in racing could claim to match. Buddy was an ambassador for the sport, an amazing storyteller, and was good at putting everything in perspective and simplifying subjects for fans on radio shows without talking down to them. He will be missed, and he will definitely be in discussion for a HOF spot alongside his father over the coming years.

Last edited:
Maybe this is NASCAR's way of saying they are offering "more" road course racing instead of adding a new road course race to the schedule.

When I first got into watching NASCAR, Buddy Baker along with Ned Jarrett were the ones I can remember commentating. I always enjoyed his popular higher pitched voice. :P He will be missed. RIP Buddy.

Indeed. I was sad to learn we lost Buddy Baker. Equally sad is another personality lost to cancer. Buddy Baker was diagnosed with lung cancer about a month ago or so. Still, sad Buddy Baker lost his fight with lung cancer.
Diagnosed in December, publicly announced it a month ago.

On a much lighter note from my previous post, let's talk about what races are coming up this weekend.

Michigan and Ohio are rival states in college sports, but these are the two states with NASCAR action among the top three Touring Series. Trucks and Cup will invade Michigan while the XFINITY series will take on Mid-Ohio. Choosing if you'd rather see NASCAR take on the high-speed action at Michigan or the challenging road racing action at Mid-Ohio is not exactly picking between Michigan and Ohio State. However, the top three Touring Series of NASCAR have you covered this weekend. This past weekend was IndyCar at Mid-Ohio. Now, it's the NASCAR XFINITY Series' turn to take on the turns of Mid-Ohio. As for Trucks and Cup around Michigan, it is actually one of my personal favorite courses NASCAR runs. Michigan usually never fails to put on a great show no matter what cars race Michigan International Speedway. Heck, I even remember classic races in (then) CART around Michigan.

Enjoy this NASCAR weekend at Michigan and Mid-Ohio. Good luck to all drivers and teams this weekend- including your favorite drivers and teams.

I heard a lot of commentary by Buddy Baker while watching classic races. Good man. I suppose these kind of news were inevitable, but hearing it was still quite a shock.

One of the best color commentators for NASCAR, I remember when I was younger when he, Ned Jerret, and Mike Joy called the 1998 Daytona 500.

Let's not forget what a great driver he was too, here are some stats from Wikipedia:

image.jpg

image.jpg

Buddy was also the first to break the 200mph barrier in testing in a NASCAR stock car.

What a legend, he will be deeply missed by all of us.

I've heard that a driver new to his team (Joined sometime over the past 3 years) will be leaving at the end of the season in spite of having a multi-year deal to stay. The owner is tired of them and wants to replace them with a free agent with Cup experience. The only tip I can say is that it's NOT Kasey Kahne.

Please be Ricky Stenhouse.

Edit: Looking at the driver/team charts, he's the only one that stands out as fitting into this kind of scenario. The others that are new (<3 years) to their teams aren't doing anything substantially bad (Ku. Busch, Edwards, Kenseth, Newman, Danica, Truex Jr.) to the point that their teams would want them gone.

Last edited:
Please be Ricky Stenhouse.

Edit: Looking at the driver/team charts, he's the only one that stands out as fitting into this kind of scenario. The others that are new (<3 years) to their teams aren't doing anything substantially bad (Ku. Busch, Edwards, Kenseth, Newman, Danica, Truex Jr.) to the point that their teams would want them gone.

It could be Danica if the news that Haas will sign with her a new multi-year contract.

I can only see Stenhouse (the new Ragan) and maybe Newman. But Newman almost gave Childress a title last year (lost by two tires and half a second) so can't be him.

Back