2015 NASCAR Thread - And then there was 1

• Thread starter Jahgee
  • 10,978 comments
I'd like to know why he didn't run up next to the wall after that last restart. That's where he was the fastest.

He was stuck at the bottom on the restart if I recall, he was behind Brad Keseloski.

I mostly stayed away from the NASCAR discussion just to let yesterday's Ford EcoBoost 400 marinate. All congratulations to "Rowdy" Busch on finally knocking down a Cup Championship. It is also the first-ever non-US marque to win the NASCAR Cup Championship with Toyota winning it all. My money was on Jeff Gordon to win, even though I thought he wouldn't win anyways. I saw most of the race. All I know is that we can no longer knock Kyle Busch for being too good for Trucks and XFINITY, but not good enough for Cup. He now has a title in the Cup ranks. I was wondering what would happen if Rowdy won the title and what NASCAR would look like after Rowdy won the title.

I had a much more detailed section lined up about Jeff Gordon, but it was gone as my PC crashed. So I have to do this more compact salute to Jeff Gordon. Jeff Gordon is first-ballot Hall of Fame material. NASCAR will be so much different without him. When someone you've loved and followed got you into a sport or motorsport, it will be much different with such a figure gone. That will be the case for Jeff Gordon, a real generational talent and one of not only NASCAR's greatest talents, but one of the greatest racing talents of any discipline of motorsport. I am a road racing fan, and Jeff Gordon was surely one of the best road racing talent for when NASCAR races the road courses. I even remember the historic moment when he raced Juan Pablo Montoya's BMW F1 car around Indianapolis, trading rides with Gordon's #24 (then) DuPont Chevrolet. He was always someone who just races and isn't overly brash or cocky. That even included moments like him getting into a shouting match against Tony Stewart at Watkins Glen in 2000, him shoving Kyle Busch at a day race at Bristol, him fighting Clint Bowyer at Phoenix, and him going against Jeff Burton. The most disgraceful moment was once when Jeff Gordon won at Talladega, and the fans shown their *appreciation* by throwing trash at Jeff Gordon's car during some cool down laps. Regardless, NASCAR will still go on, and I will still follow NASCAR in some capacity as a racing fan. Being a fan within NASCAR will be different without Jeff Gordon. I even said on Twitter to Jeff Gordon...

(not exact quote) "You got me into NASCAR, and I've always cheered you on. Congratulations on an amazing career. #24Ever"

So another season of NASCAR is complete. Congratulations to Erik Jones, Texas' own Chris Buescher, and "Rowdy" Kyle Busch on their championship triumphs. Congratulations to all other champions among NASCAR's many divisions. Next season couldn't come soon enough.

Untitled_zpsonhtkmf7.jpg

9RhCWsL.gif

I know is that we can no longer knock Kyle Busch for being too good for Trucks and XFINITY, but not good enough for Cup.

Has 5th most (4th now that the 24 is gone) wins by active drivers in the Cup Series. Also more than Harvick. Not good enough for Cup lol

I'm just Joshing you but, come on.

To be frank, Kyle would have probably won a cup championship at some point in his career regardless because he is just that talented. He's a lot smarter than he was in his younger days, and it has made him a far, far better driver than he was even 5 years ago.

Last edited:
I would go as far as to say what didn't kill Kyle Busch made him stronger. While I don't follow NASCAR to any great level, I do remember his race at Kentucky. He really matured and skillfully made his moves to win that race at Kentucky.

When I mentioned being not good enough for Cup, I meant to say it in the terms of winning championships. He finally reached the top of the mountain in Cup. He may either win another championship or just win one championship in Cup. Regardless, he finally has a championship on the Cup level. And again, this is also the first to win a Cup Championship for a non-US manufacturer as he rocks his M&M's Toyota Camry. All congrats to Rowdy. I'm not his biggest fan or anything, but I'm proud for Kyle Busch. He did at least something right to stay among the better of the Cup talent to eventually become champion.

Really, congratulations to all of those who even made the 2015 Chase.

To be frank, Kyle would have probably won a cup championship at some point in his career regardless because he is just that talented. He's a lot smarter than he was in his younger days, and it has made him a far, far better driver than he was even 5 years ago.

I agree. It wasn't easy being an 18 fan over the years sometimes but I always tried to look past his character flaws. He is a much different person than he was. I think the low downforce package next year will suit him well. Looking forward to the future.

Most of the top ten to fifteen drivers have the skill needed to win a Cup championship. Most of what it takes to win one is probably luck, being with the right team at the right time, and then more luck.

Also takes the equipment being it's best at the right time. Most of the chase drivers were capable of being champion this year. It's just that things didn't go the way they needed them to go.

Top 30 in 2015's final points:

Kyle Busch (Cup champ - 2015, 8 race wins - 2008, 5 race wins - 2015, Nationwide champ - 2009)

Kevin Harvick (Cup champ - 2014, 2nd place - 2015, 3rd place, 2013/2011/2010, 5 race wins - 2014/ 2006, Nationwide champ - 2006/2001)

Jeff Gordon (Cup champ - 2001/1998/1997/1995, 2nd place Cup series - 2007/1996, 3rd place Cup series - 2015/2009/2004, 13 race wins - 1998, 10 race wins - 1997/1996, 7 race wins - 1999/1995, 6 race wins - 2006/2001, 5 race wins - 2004)

Martin Truex Jr. (Nationwide champ - 2005/2004)

Carl Edwards (2nd place Cup Series - 2011/2008, 3rd place Cup series - 2005, 9 race wins - 2008, Nationwide champ - 2007)

Joey Logano (6 race wins - 2015, 5 race wins - 2014)

Brad Keselowski (Cup champ - 2012, 6 race wins - 2014, 5 race wins - 2012, Nationwide champ - 2010)

Kurt Busch (Cup champ - 2004, 3rd place - 2002)

Denny Hamlin (2nd place Cup series - 2010, 3rd place Cup series 2014/2006, 8 race wins - 2010, 5 race wins - 2012)

Jimmie Johnson (Cup champ - 2013/2010/2009/2008/2007/2006, 2nd place Cup series - 2004/2003, 3rd place Cup series - 2012, 10 race wins - 2007, 8 race wins - 2004, 7 race wins - 2009/2008, 6 race wins - 2013/2010, 5 race wins - 2015/2006)

Ryan Newman (2nd place Cup series - 2014, 8 race wins - 2003)

Dale Earnhardt Jr. (3rd place Cup series - 2003, 6 race wins - 2004, Nationwide champ - 1999/1998)

Jamie McMurray
Paul Menard

Matt Kenseth (Cup champ - 2003, 2nd place Cup series - 2013/2006, 7 race wins - 2013, 5 race wins - 2015/2002)

Clint Bowyer (2nd place Cup series - 2012)

Aric Almirola

Kasey Kahne (6 race wins, 2006)

Kyle Larson

Greg Biffle (2nd place Cup series - 2005, 3rd place Cup series - 2008, 6 race wins - 2005, Nationwide champ - 2002, Truck champ - 2000)

Austin Dillon (Nationwide champ - 2013, Truck champ - 2011)

AJ Allmendinger
Casey Mears
Danica Patrick

Ricky Stenhouse Jr. (Nationwide champ - 2012/2011)

Sam Hornish Jr.
David Ragan

Tony Stewart (Cup champ - 2011/2005/2002, 2nd place Cup series - 2001, 6 race wins - 2000, 5 race wins - 2011/2006/2005)

Trevor Bayne
Justin Allgaier

19 of those drivers have already finished inside the top 3 in the final Cup series standings, or have won 5+ Cup races in a single season, or have multiple lower series titles. The top 12 guys all have had championship-worthy credentials at some point in their career. McMurray, in 13th, was the highest-finishing guy that has never come remotely close to being a threat for a series title.

Also, even though he didn't meet any of my totally arbitrary requirements, I think most would agree that Kyle Larson has legitimate future Cup series championship winning potential. The same can probably be said for Chase Elliott, and other young drivers in the lower series.

Most of the top ten to fifteen drivers have the skill needed to win a Cup championship. Most of what it takes to win one is probably luck, being with the right team at the right time, and then more luck.
I'd say luck at the right time (the Chase) and have the best car ever built for Homestead.

Ok what have I missed?

Every time a motorsport debate gets interesting someone dumbs the whole thing down by bringing F1 to the conversation, just keep that disease away from me please

I started it this time, to demonstrate similarities in screwing over between the two systems. Yes I'm a big trouble maker :scared:

I don't follow F1. However, that cute little post you made on my profile was funny. It's been reported as well as all the other profile posts you made to NASCAR fans over the last day. Stick to the F1 thread, junior.

Idk what happened because I was away. Eh, could someone explain to me what happened here? :confused:

Don't plan on the Chase format changing any time soon.

Although I bet it being Jeff Gordon's final race and possibly winning a championship increased interest in watching.

Don't plan on the Chase format changing any time soon.

Although I bet it being Jeff Gordon's final race and possibly winning a championship increased interest in watching.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...-late-coverage-nbc-outrage-nfl-fans/76240192/
During football night in America overlapping, the race scored a 7.0 or 12.4 million viewers (that's close to average Daytona 500 ratings). With that kind of results, I don't see this chase being removed any time soon like you said.

While we're on the subject of 2015 NASCAR, can I show my custom NASCAR '15 Truex paint scheme? It's the one he ran in the Chase this year
image.jpeg

All decals except for Sunoco and Goodyear are custom. I even added his WINNER sticker from his Pocono win! DMI have not released the Chase cars pack because it's not even announced :lol:

This post I am offering is a salute to champions for all levels of NASCAR. Allow me to congratulate and honor this year's champions:

***cue Daytona USA***
"Now, list your name with the other champions..."

* Kyle Busch - 2015 NASCAR Cup Champion
* Chris Buescher - 2015 NASCAR XFINITY Series champion
* Erik Jones - 2015 NASCAR Trucks Champion

* Doug Coby - 2015 NASCAR Whelen Modified Champion
* Andy Seuss - 2015 NASCAR Southern Modified Champion
* William Byron - 2015 K&N Pro Series East Champion
* Chris Eggleston = 2015 K&N Pro Series West Champion
* Scott Steckly - 2015 NASCAR Canadian Tire Series Champion
* Ruben Garcia Mateos - 2015 NASCAR Mexico Series Champion
* Vilarino Ander - 2015 NASCAR Whelen Euro Champion (Elite 1)
* Ercoli Gianmarco - 2015 NASCAR Whelen Euro Champion (Elite 2)

I salute various other champions from 2015 with this post, including team and owner champions from this year. There may also be some other champs from various other divisions of NASCAR. Yet still- congrats to all champions.

Back