2015 Subaru Legacy

1241Penguin

Diamond Member
Premium
Canada
Canada
lego-1.jpg

Subaru reveals Legacy concept ahead of Los Angeles Auto Show by driving.ca

Not entirely fond of it. The grille is way oversized for my taste, and size wise, the front end looks like it came off a pick-up truck.

Ford front end and an Eclipse rear end. Subaru, what are you thinking? I'm not being bias, but the last legacy model that had all the right lines were '08 and '09. After that, they all went to hell. UGH!

Totally concept-ish; the actual car will look rather different, so maybe the thread title should include the word "concept" to avoid confusion. I like some of the implied styling cues, particularly the lights and the tidy rear end. Hopefully it won't have the oversized headlights and "dog with its cheeks pulled back" look of the current Legacy, which took a long time to grow on me.

Last edited:
I saw this a few hours ago, and thought it looked alright, but looking at it again it's pretty ugly.

The grill reminds me of this.
hyundai-hcd-14-concept-628-1358198304.jpg

It's ok. The real thing will look nothing like the concept.

If it looks like a sedan Levorg, handles like a WRX, and gets good fuel economy, I might be interested.

I really hate to rag on Subaru's designs of the past forever so I'll start off with a question:

Does anybody know what a Subaru should actually look like?

Because this thing just looks really boring. Pretty much all the other manufacturers have debuted their new cars within the past two years. Subaru is inevitably the last one. And I really hate to make comparisons - they're all reasonably priced mid-size sedans so it's obvious they all look like reasonably priced mid-size sedans - but spotting various similar shapes is unavoidable. I'm not going to name names and post pictures because I don't think you're all a bunch of idiots who can't spot the same things I'm looking at. Hopefully none of you post pictures either. We've all found our way onto the internet so we're not complete morons.

Thankfully this is only the Legacy, a car which has always been boring. It's not until you get to the Legacy GT and Outback when they start looking cool.

Ugh. What a nut check. It looks like a Nissan wrapped in a Hyundai.

Last edited:
I think it looks quite good, actually. I'd certainly drive one but that wouldn't be my first color choice.

I prefer the previous gen's over-flared and butch looking exterior. I know I'm one of the very few.

This one looks strangely Altima/RL-ish to me.

Hood lines that stick out like that are a design ruiner for me.

Please head backwards in your designing, Subaru, and find out what made the old Legacys stand out.

Personally, I think it's a pretty attractive model considering most of it's competitors. They've dramatically improved the interior, gotten rid of the hideous fake aluminum, and made the exterior look less busy. It's not bad.

Granted, nothing is as good as the fourth-generation Legacy. I doubt anything will be. But, if Subaru gets back to offering the car with a stick, and brings back the turbo model, its a major step forward for a brand that seemed to have been losing its way little more than a year ago.

My only complaint is with the wheels. They look silly. Just give us some regular alloys, Subaru.

Does anybody know what a Subaru should actually look like?

That's actually a pretty tricky question.

I'd wager nobody does. Not even Subaru.

They started off with the new wave of redesigns pretty well. I mean, the Impreza isn't all that good looking, but it ties in well with the Forester and the XV (which, yes, I know, is just a lifted Impreza)...

They have a good thing going with the new Forester... the hawk-like headlamps, reflected here in the Legacy... and the barred grille work well together.

The question is... why did they go so conservative with the design? They clearly pulled back from some of the design cues on the Forester and the concept... even the implied front blade motif is gone... leaving no point of interest up front between the headlight wings. The rear end is attractive enough, but the resemblance to a last-generation Audi or Honda can't be a good thing.

Subaru needs identity. This is identity:
Subaru-Forester_2014_800x600_wallpaper_01.jpg

That Legacy up there... isn't. The family design cues are spot-on, but beyond building brand identity, a car really has to stand out to attract new buyers. Especially a car as left-field as a Legacy.

-

Then again, we should be thankful it doesn't look like a flying 🤬

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2005/08/subaru-b9-tribeca/

I think it looks fine apart from certain details. It would look more like a Subaru if it had a grille like the Forester's, as @niky posted. I also think it would do better with banded taillights, as a nod to the first three generations of Legacys, with SUBARU or LEGACY embedded into the plastic as before. There's already an outline on the trunk where it could go. Also, IMO that cut line for the front edge of the hood is bad. I don't have a Photoshop-grade program to work with but I've made some rough adjustments. Thoughts?

2015-Subaru-Legacy-3-edit.jpg 2015-Subaru-Legacy-2-edit.jpg

To all the "Camry" comments, well, the Legacy is Subaru's Camry. I drive the second wagon MedigoFlame posted, and honestly, apart from the banded taillights, I think it looks like an ordinary '90s Japanese car. Not unattractively so, but after driving a classic BMW before it, I sometimes refer to the Legacy as my "stealthmobile." I will agree the other one, the BP, is one sharp wagon.

@Wolfe: You're hired. :lol: That's exactly what I was thinking it should look like. Further adjustments could include slightly more aggressive foglight recesses. No need to go ape as on the Forester XT, but something to tie the design in across the product lines.

I think it looks fine apart from certain details. It would look more like a Subaru if it had a grille like the Forester's, as @niky posted. I also think it would do better with banded taillights, as a nod to the first three generations of Legacys, with SUBARU or LEGACY embedded into the plastic as before. There's already an outline on the trunk where it could go. Also, IMO that cut line for the front edge of the hood is bad. I don't have a Photoshop-grade program to work with but I've made some rough adjustments. Thoughts?

View attachment 111513 View attachment 111514
Rough adjustments? No. You designed a Subaru! :lol:

EDIT: If I were you I would watermark those pictures and email them to Subaru like, yo, your version sucks and this is better so pay me and we'll redesign it together.

Back