2016 Formula 1 Grand Premio de MexicoFormula 1 

I don't see what they could do him on, the radios may not be entirely private any more but they're still primarily a tool for driver to team communication. It was FOM who chose to broadcast them.
Even if it wasn't broadcast, they'd still have cause to investigate. Race control hear everything, not just what is broadcast. And in any other sport, a player abusing a referee like that would probably be sent off.

Even if it wasn't broadcast, they'd still have cause to investigate. Race control hear everything, not just what is broadcast. And in any other sport, a player abusing a referee like that would probably be sent off.
Probably increased his standing in the team and with the tiffosi. TV ratings and bums in the seats, I dunno. On balance, a positive.

Probably increased his standing in the team and with the tiffosi.
It reflects poorly on the team and is symptomatic of Arrivabene's mismanagement. A lot of the drivers - most notably Ricciardo - think that a lot of Vettel's recent frustrations and outbursts over the radio have more to do with Ferrari than with backmarkers or the stewards. There used to be a time when Ferrari maintained a pretty firm grip on this sort of thing.

recent frustrations...have more to do with Ferrari

Agreed. There are entirely too many Italians on the team, and always have been. Each and every time they are up against serious competition, they suck canal water. I had this figured out by 1960 when John Cooper pulverized them with a car designed with chalk using a firepump engine.

Agreed. There are entirely too many Italians on the team, and always have been. Each and every time they are up against serious competition, they suck canal water. I had this figured out by 1960 when John Cooper pulverized them with a car designed with chalk using a firepump engine.
F1 is a sport where no matter the nationality or the money, design talent and good management is the definition of success. Ferrari just has had neither since Brawn and Byrne left. Just like Toyota and Honda before, throwing almost half a billion a year into a mediocre organization won't get you anywhere and the cycle will just continue.

I really doubt it's just an Italian thing, as Ferrari were perfectly capable of building a Newey beater when the two aforementioned personnel were in the team, with a bunch of Italians around same way.

I really doubt it's just an Italian thing, as Ferrari were perfectly capable of building a Newey beater when the two aforementioned personnel were in the team, with a bunch of Italians around same way.
Keep in mind the Designer wasn't Italian.

I think it very much is an Italian thing, the overt Nationalism Italy has around Ferrari effects the way they do things, get too many in the same team and it can be troublesome for progress.

The way they deal with cricism highlights it, when you attack Ferrari it's like your attacking Italy.

source:

FIA decides not to take action against Sebastian Vettel for using 'repeated foul language' during #MexicoGP >>

But in future they will take action.....The FIA President can add another Ferrari to his collection ;)

CwMm2CTXEAA_JkP.jpg

I don't see why not, they've done it before. Belgium 2008 for example, and some even more cynical than myself claim it was because they wanted a Ferrari win that year.
I'm sorry, what?

First of all, there was never any proof that they were trying to manipulate the outcome of the championship. Even if there was, they picked the worst time to do it, since there was still half a dozen races left in the season at the time.

But more importantly, that was eight years ago, and the stewarding system has been overhauled. Former drivers have been introduced to the stewards' panel, and the stewards have been given a more diverse range of powers - like five seconds added to a pit stop - to more accurately and fairly punish driving infringements.

So the suggestion that Hamilton wasn't penalised because of an isolated incident eight years ago and despite subsequent events is, in a word, ridiculous.

F * * * Time
World Drivers Champion
vetteltoferrari.jpg

Sebastian "Pointy finger" Vettel

After hearing about the lack of FIA Punishment

Incase anyone interested in it: Auto-Motor-Sport has released an article with the radio-transcript of the last 3 laps + outlap from Vettel, Verstappen and Ricciardo. Article is in German, transcript also in English:

You might want to embed that excellently-titled link in some text, I don't think the language is AUP friendly ;)

It is getting boring now all of this track limits stuff, pressure pads/sensors need to be used as of next season. Since 2017 is the season of change, get it done and lets avoid these arguments at every race. They can say what they want on team radio, nobody really cares and i for one enjoy it, but when drivers argue over what is constituted as track...there is a problem. Define what is the track !

Keep in mind the Designer wasn't Italian.

I think it very much is an Italian thing, the overt Nationalism Italy has around Ferrari effects the way they do things, get too many in the same team and it can be troublesome for progress.

The way they deal with cricism highlights it, when you attack Ferrari it's like your attacking Italy.

As an Italian, I don't think that's the biggest problem for Ferrari's lack of success. Over-nationalism, that's definitely true: in Italy only a minor percentage of the fans can be labelled as F1/racing fans with a somewhat objective view, all the rest are just Ferrari fans, some of them not so open-minded. But in my opinion it doesn't affect decisions inside the management: it's a completely international company, the legacy with Italy they always want to show is just for marketing reasons, because the "made in Italy" brand is strong for luxury products. They've got a lot of Italian engineers and technicians probably because they deserve to be there (the industrial area around Modena has always been highly appreciated in the world for their engineers). They don't care that much about Italian fans, rightfully so, in some ways: the guy standing in the mud at Parabolica during the Monza GP probably isn't your ideal Ferrari customer. The key, for a relatively small company like Ferrari, are sales. I think this explains why the "Italian fans pressure" isn't a huge factor:

saupload_FerrariCountryBreakdown.jpg

Putting it very simply, they want to be successful in F1 to sell more cars, not to make Italian fans happy (Italian press/media included). And if only 3% of their cars stay in Italy...

As an Italian, I don't think that's the biggest problem for Ferrari's lack of success. Over-nationalism, that's definitely true: in Italy only a minor percentage of the fans can be labelled as F1/racing fans with a somewhat objective view, all the rest are just Ferrari fans, some of them not so open-minded. But in my opinion it doesn't affect decisions inside the management: it's a completely international company, the legacy with Italy they always want to show is just for marketing reasons, because the "made in Italy" brand is strong for luxury products. They've got a lot of Italian engineers and technicians probably because they deserve to be there (the industrial area around Modena has always been highly appreciated in the world for their engineers). They don't care that much about Italian fans, rightfully so, in some ways: the guy standing in the mud at Parabolica during the Monza GP probably isn't your ideal Ferrari customer. The key, for a relatively small company like Ferrari, are sales. I think this explains why the "Italian fans pressure" isn't a huge factor:

View attachment 603331
Putting it very simply, they want to be successful in F1 to sell more cars, not to make Italian fans happy (Italian press/media included). And if only 3% of their cars stay in Italy...
I was more Reffering to the Management, which is still very much italian and the culture can still have a big effect.

Verstappen is making himself out to be the next Senna. He's very fast and clearly talented. But he also races with no regard for the other drivers. He drives how he wants to drive, and other drivers can either get out of his way or get wrecked out.

It'll be fascinating to see in the next few years when he wins a championship or two (and let's face it, he will as long as he stays in a top tier team) if people will treat him like we treated Senna in the early 90s.

Verstappen is making himself out to be the next Senna. He's very fast and clearly talented. But he also races with no regard for the other drivers. He drives how he wants to drive, and other drivers can either get out of his way or get wrecked out.

It'll be fascinating to see in the next few years when he wins a championship or two (and let's face it, he will as long as he stays in a top tier team) if people will treat him like we treated Senna in the early 90s.
I didn't watch a lot formula one back then, I only saw him crashing out Prost (I think) a couple of times and then didn't bother watching this anymore... So how did people treat Senna, I thought most people loved him (for some weird reason)?

And to be fair, Verstappen didn't crash anyone yet I think?
From what I'm seeing he's already way smarter than Senna, I would just wish the FIA would regulate him a little better, because even IF it's "clever" how he drives, it most certainly is unfair and against most rules (this fact doesn't vanish just because the FIA obviously chose to ignore the rules completely for this guy, which of course could backfire badly on them, history will tell).

I didn't watch a lot formula one back then, I only saw him crashing out Prost (I think) a couple of times and then didn't bother watching this anymore... So how did people treat Senna, I thought most people loved him (for some weird reason)?

Senna was celebrated in his time as one of the best drivers in the world - and quite rightly so. That doesn't mean that everyone was a fan of him though. What was as clear then as now is that he could be a dangerous man to be alongside, some of the tactics he was prepared to employ fell well short of being gentlemanly and were arguably far too dangerous.

And to be fair, Verstappen didn't crash anyone yet I think?

He's had crashes through being in ill-advised places this year (admittedly through some inexperience), he crashed into Rosberg and pushed him off the track at the last race and he certainly crashed Grosjean in Monaco last year... and then lied about how it had happened in the face of much evidence to the contrary.

Senna was celebrated in his time as one of the best drivers in the world - and quite rightly so. That doesn't mean that everyone was a fan of him though. What was as clear then as now is that he could be a dangerous man to be alongside, some of the tactics he was prepared to employ fell well short of being gentlemanly and were arguably far too dangerous.

He's had crashes through being in ill-advised places this year (admittedly through some inexperience), he crashed into Rosberg and pushed him off the track at the last race and he certainly crashed Grosjean in Monaco last year... and then lied about how it had happened in the face of much evidence to the contrary.

He crashed into Rosberg????.... seriously mate,that was racing,he overshot the overtake a little and they touched...you cannot possibly call that a crash!! ... i mean then lewis and nico crashed almost every race... ;-)

Spy.

He crashed into Rosberg????.... seriously mate,that was racing,he overshot the overtake a little and they touched...you cannot possibly call that a crash!! ... i mean then lewis and nico crashed almost every race... ;-)

He braked far too late - that's demonstrable given that Grosjean braked later than he had done on any previous lap. Verstappen's version of events was (unsuprisingly) different but the stewards had the full facts to hand.

If indeed either Rosberg or Hamilton caused race-ending damage in high-energy contacts in "almost every race" then I guess we were watching different races.

In "overshooting the overtake a little" Verstappen crashed needlessly into another driver, QED.

He braked far too late - that's demonstrable given that Grosjean braked later than he had done on any previous lap. Verstappen's version of events was (unsuprisingly) different but the stewards had the full facts to hand.

If indeed either Rosberg or Hamilton caused race-ending damage in high-energy contacts in "almost every race" then I guess we were watching different races.

In "overshooting the overtake a little" Verstappen crashed needlessly into another driver, QED.

Mate,i meant the rosberg overtake...the one in monaco was something different...

How can you call an attempted overtake manouvre "crashing into rosberg" .... thats what i dont get!!

Just call it a failed attempt to do an overtake...not : he crashed into rosberg !!

Spy.

Oh, yeah right, I almost forgot about that, he bumped Rosberg off the track and he did the same "maneuver" a couple of times at Spa, mostly looked completely needlessly, he just likes driving bumper cars I guess, but what I meant was outright crashes. I haven't seen the one in Monaco yet.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back