Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnBM01

20 years!
Premium
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
JMarine25
Initially penned as a post to recognize AMA Supercross and AMA Motocross, I decided to make this an umbrella thread for all things supercross and motocross. I even included supermoto as part of the discussion. This is the thread I hope to have as being the main thread for all who love (or at least watch) some supercross or motocross. Why should you care about this kind of racing? Simple- gritty and exciting racing on two wheels. You got the exciting racing in supercross at various sports venues. There's the insanity of off-road racing in proper off-road venues in motocross. Supermoto combines tarmac and dirt. So this is the kind of thread for series such as, but not limited to:

* AMA Supercross
* AMA Motocross
* Motocross World Championship (MXGP)
* Arenacross
* Endurocross
* (any supercross, motocross, and supermoto series)

So all of you can chat about these great styles of racing in this thread. Perhaps you even can chat about any motocross racing you do. The only thing I am unsure of is talking about ATV racing and UTV racing. There is no proper general thread on motocross or anything, so I created this thread to discuss this style of racing. If there is a general thread on this style of racing, merge or close/delete this thread.

By the way... as of this post, the 2016 season of AMA Supercross begins January 9 in Anaheim, CA, USA. Get ready if you're a fan of AMA Supercross.

Otherwise, let's chat on the world of motocross and all things like it!

Here is the AMA Supercross schedule for 2016. Maybe you have plans to go to these events:

* Jan. 6: Anaheim 1 - West
* Jan. 16: San Diego 1 - West
* Jan. 23: Anaheim 2 - West
* Jan. 30: Oakland - West
* Feb. 6: Glendale - West
* Feb. 13: San Diego 2 - West
* Feb. 20: Arlington - West
* Feb. 27: Atlanta - East
* Mar. 5: Daytona - East
* Mar. 12: Toronto - East
* Mar. 19: Detroit - East
* Apr. 2: Santa Clara - West
* Apr. 9: Indianapolis - East
* Apr. 16: St. Louis - East
* Apf. 23: Foxborough - East
* Apr. 30: East Rutherford - East
* May 7: Las Vegas - West/East

Sadly, no Houston round. I never been to an AMA Supercross race, but Houston is a usual stop for the series. Not so much this season. There should be no shortage of thrills as this series usually provides. Can't wait for the gate to drop on a new season of AMA Supercross.

[UPDATE] typo with the "West/East" text.

Last edited:
Looking forward to seeing Chad Reed back on a factory Yamaha! Love the AMA season, can't wait for Saturday

I'm one of those old farts who still prefer the Outdoor Nationals, but I do enjoy some bar bang' Supercross action.

To me, there is something very special about dirt bike racing; overall, it's a formula that "works". The rough terrain and low grip keeps the speeds in check, but the risks are still absolutely there. The physical and mental demand on the rider is as high as in any sport - I argue that dirt bike racing, (Moto/SuperCross, Hard Enduro, and the nut jobs who do Baja & Dakar on bikes), are the single toughest sports on Earth. In a "who are the best athletes?" debate, these guys are #1 in my books. Unless you've riden a dirtbike fast and hard, there's no way to explain how hard it is to hang on.

The racing is usually really close, and it just oozes with style as well. There's nothing sexier than a massive turn-down over a triple - the coolest part being that it actually serves a purpose :). Oh, and it's a contact sport too, where block passing is completely legit!

Oh, I DEFINITELY believe this is one of the most physically intense motorsports there is. In fact, I even tell people to watch this kind of racing to understand and appreciate the physical and fitness nature of motorsport. All those jumps and bumps take their toll on you. Two of my favorites are James "Bubba" Stewart and Justin "Bam Bam" Barcia. Perhaps the one who I see as the very best in motocross or supercross is Jeremy McGrath. I'm not really crazy about motocross and supercross, but it is surely fun to watch stuff. I try to catch as much of the Supercross action as I can.

If you are a fan of the FIM Motocross World Championship (MXGP), here is the 2016 schedule:

* Feb. 27: Qatar - Losail
* Mar. 6: Thailand - Suphan Buri
* Mar. 13: Malaysia - Sepang
* Mar. 27: Pagaonia-Argentina - Neuquen
* Apr. 3: Leon-Mexico - Leon
* Apr. 17: Europe - Valkenwaard
* May 1: Latvia - Kegums
* May 8: Germany - Teutschenthal
* May 15: Trentino - Pietramurata
* May 29: ??? - ???
* June 5: France - St. Jean d'Angély
* June 19: Great Britain - Matterley Basin
* June 26: Lombardia-Italy - Mantova
* July 24: Czech Republic - Loket
* July 31: Belgium - Lommel
* Aug. 7: Switzerland - Frauenfeld/Gachnang
* Aug. 28: Holland/Netherlands - Assen
* Sep. 3: MXGP of Americas - Charlotte Motor Speedway
* Sep. 11: Monster Energy MXGP of the USA - Glen Helen

* Sep. 25: Monster Energy FIM Motocross of Nations - Italy - Maggiora

* Aug. 14: FIM Junior Motocross World Championship - Russia - Orlyonok

That covers you fans of MXGP. I do watch the MXGP often times on CBS Sports Network here in the States. I always enjoy almost any sport that has a World Championship feel to it. It's like you're racing for more than just personal glory. You're racing to show you're the best in the world at such a high level of competition like MXGP. So it will be interesting to see who can show they are the best in the world at motocross on a global stage.

I haven't ever really followed MXGP. How do you think it compares with the AMA Nationals in terms of rider skill, speed, and track difficulty?

I don't really follow the AMA Pro Motocross much, so I can't really compare. Some of the MXGP venues I have seen seem tougher than a lot of the AMA Motocross venues. I guess I look at MXGP in motocross in talent and events much the same way I think of the level of talent and venues in MotoGP in Grand Prix road racing.

I don't really follow the AMA Pro Motocross much, so I can't really compare. Some of the MXGP venues I have seen seem tougher than a lot of the AMA Motocross venues. I guess I look at MXGP in motocross in talent and events much the same way I think of the level of talent and venues in MotoGP in Grand Prix road racing.
Hmm interesting. I always considered, more of an assumption, that the AMA Nationals was the top Motocross event in the world. Other than Reed, anyone who's come to the US has basically got smoked, and I always assumed the American riders didn't bother with MXGP because the competition was on a lesser level.

If you're saying otherwise, I'll have to rethink. I found a website where I can watch all of the 2015 MXGP races, so I'll check some of them out. Are there any events that stand out?

I just don't know the series to be honest. I watch more AMA Supercross than I do motocross or even the MXGP. Just wanted to put out there the other series just to keep this thread active.

+1 on the fitness of the riders. I believe without a doubt it is one of, if not the most physically demanding sports.

I don't follow the racing as much as I used to as I no longer ride, but I still like to catch a race every now and then.

Are you ready? Can you feel it? The new 2016 season of AMA Supercross will drop the gate later tonight in Anaheim! Can't wait for the action to get underway.

Wow. I was not expecting punches to be thrown. I feel kind of bad for Peick because he got screwed over twice by the same guy.

Both of them need to be punished. Peick more so for assault. Yeah, it's exciting to watch and its entertaining yadda yadda but that's not racing. Oh well, we'll have to see what the AMA/FIM want to do with it.

Yeah, I was pretty disappointed seeing that fight (albeit one-sided) break out. It was the right call to bench Peick for that fight. It's okay to show emotion and all, but come on. You don't just fight some guy. This series doesn't need any NASCAR-style drama or any pro wrestling drama. I can understand the frustration, but that's going a bit too far.

I hope my man James "Bubba" Stewart is okay after he spilled hard after that contact he took that brought out the red flag.

Congratulations to the winners in 450 and 250 at Anaheim. Up next... same state, same part of the state, only a different city- San Diego. Or for you Major League Baseball fans, AMA Supercross goes from an American League ballpark to a National League ballpark.

Finally got a chance to watch Anahiem. Good start to the season, other than the punches lol. I get why Peick lost it, but that was too much.

Don't forget... we got AMA Supercross tonight from San Diego. The championships are all elementary at this point. We'll have to wonder who will try to keep up their hot form after the previous round in Anaheim.

But again- AMA Supercross. San Diego. Petco Park.

I'm sad that James isn't racing this week. He said he wasn't feeling well and I hope he recovers. Though it is nice to see Jeff Gordon enjoying Supercross.

I think it is fun and cute watching those kids do supercross! They race as hard as the grown-ups, but there's just something about seeing those kids do this style of racing.

The winners from the 250 and 450 main events from San Diego:

* 250 Winner: Cooper Webb
* 450 Winner: Ryan Dungey

I like how precisely riders take on tabletops, whoops, and stuff like that. Same applies to when riders double or triple certain jumps.

This weekend, the AMA Supercross championship returns to Anaheim for Round 3 of the West Championship. So be sure to check out the third round this Saturday.

It might be worth noting that Jason Anderson, who originally finished 3rd in the 450SX Main Event last weekend in San Diego, has been docked positions for ignoring 'Red Cross' flags in the Main.

For those of you unaware of the rules regarding flags and how to react to them, a Red Cross flag indicates that there is an injured rider on the course with medical personnel attending to them. Sections of track where this flag is displayed is considered to be hazardous and no jumping, passing, etc is allowed.

Jason Anderson jumped through a 'hazard zone' as denoted by the Red Cross flag and therefore received a post-race penalty which took him off of the podium.

Congratulations to the winners last weekend and big props to Chad Reed, who is still nabbing podiums in 2016. That guy just won't quit!

Last edited:
The Anaheim 2 round ended last night. Results...

* Cooper Webb won again. So three races, three wins. Batting 1.000. Undefeated so far.
* Back-to-back wins for defending 450 champ Ryan Dungey.

Up next... one more time in California. This time, it's NorCal that gets AMA Supercross loving when the series goes up to Oakland. It will also be the last in a string of races in California before the series stops in Arizona after the Oakland round. After Glendale, the series returns to California two more times- San Diego 2 in February and Santa Clara in April.

Ugh I'm falling behind in watching my rwcing, and it's not even February yet. Damn friends and ther project vehicles :lol:

I opened this thread up for discussion of supercross, motocross, and supermoto worldwide. I introduce supermoto to the discussion with this post. For those not familiar with supermoto, think of it as rallycross for motorcycles. Courses are a mix of tarmac and dirt. Only difference is that I don't think there are any Joker laps or anything like in rallycross. It's actually quite fun. Here is the 2016 AMA Supermoto Series schedule:

* Apr. 9: Bakersfield, CA, USA
* June 18 and 19: Loudon, NH, USA
* July 1 and 2: Downtown Sturgis, SD, USA
* Aug. 6 and 7: Trois-Rivieres, Canada
* Sep. 3: Denver, CO, USA
* Oct. 22: Tuscon, AZ, USA

For more info: http://www.amanationalsupermoto.com

Finally got a chance to watch San Diago and Anahiem 2.

I've been pretty impressed with Webb so far this year. He's shown some pretty good instincts with his passing. His line through the rhythm section at Anahiem 2, where he was doing the wheel tap, was impressive to watch. The battle with Craig was great too.

The track at Anahiem, especially the whoops, seemed really gnarly. I can't remember a track that's had whoops that big and hard in a long time, guys are getting eaten by them!

Anyone know when Bubba is back?

The 24 Hours of Daytona is going on, but not to be outdone is AMA Supercross in Oakland, CA. Consider this your heads-up on AMA Supercross tonight. The action is on FOX Sports 1.

The 24 Hours of Daytona ruled the roost this past weekend, but the AMA Supercross schedule still went on. The Oakland winners are...

* Joey Savatgy - 250cc; taking over after a late incident that forced Cooper Webb to retire with engine trouble
* Ryan Dungey - his silver (25th) win in 450cc.

There was a moment of concern when I was watching the 450cc Main when James "Bubba" Stewart went off the track. I didn't know he suffered a concussion from that first round of the championship. It is going to be interesting to see future races from Bubba Stewart in AMA Supercross and even AMA Motocross in this era of sports and concussions. I am surely a fan of JS7. All I'm hoping for is this guy to continue being a contender and winning races. He goes hard all the time; but with his concussion, how much will this affect him down the road?

Next stop... Glendale, Arizona. If you're among the 60 people with FOX Sports 2, you can see it live on FS2. One last note... I need to practice pronouncing "Savatgy." So I am learning it as "sah-vat-chi."

Besides the action from last weekend in AMA Supercross, I got more stuff to talk about. If you like GNCC racing, here is the schedule for that series for 2016:

* Mar. 5-6: Palatka, FL
* Mar. 12-13: Sparta, GA
* Apr. 2-3: Morganton, NC
* Apr. 16-17: Union, SC
* Apr. 30 and May 1: Society Hill, SC
* May 14-15: Springville, IN
* May 28-29: Millfield, OH
* June 11-12: Odessa, NY
* June 25-26: Snowshoe, WV
* Sep. 10-11: New Berlin, NY
* Sep. 24-25: Masontown, WV
* Oct. 1-2: St. Clairesville, OH
* Oct. 29-30: Crawfordsville, IN

This series has a lot of racing ranging from motocross to motocross with UTVs. So this features a handful of motocross disciplines. Lots to enjoy here.

If you're one of the 60 people with FOX Sports 2, you can see the next round of AMA Supercross tonight live. The series in Glendale, Arizona tonight for the 5th round of the West championship of AMA Supercross.

I've been unable to see AMA Supercross action from Glendale, AZ. So I am going solely by the AMA Supercross website when I show you the results...

* 250cc winner: Christian Craig
* 450cc winner: Ken Roczen

The next race is this Valentine's Day weekend on Saturday at San Diego. Not sure which FOX Sports channel will show it, but the AMA Supercross West series continues on with another round at San Diego's Petco Park.

FOX Sports 1 shown some of the latest AMA Arenacross championship. For more information on the AMA Arenacross series, visit http://www.arenacross.com/ .

I raced a long time ago...north Texas.....10 years worth....first win 1972....last 1982....bad knees...Best practice friend was D.Hawthorne.....5-6 time Areanacross champ....below the Lake Lewisville Dam...love being able to race in GT6 against other Human Beings at 60 years old......Nice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back