2016 Nissan Sentra Facelift | NISMO Variant Debut

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 209 comments
Only problem:

STILL A SENTRA.

(Yes, I realize it's a bit of a daft statement. My friend/neighbor has one, and while it is very pleasant to ride in, it's dull a dishwater, overweight, and a sad distant relative of it's predecessor. I'm talkin' 'bout that B13, yo.)

True, but, the standard Focus and Impreza are relatively entertaining to drive. I mean, I can't fault Nissan for doing what they do... Middle American, average buyers love their Versas, Sentras and Altimas - they're making a bajillion off of their cars. But, something like this, even with the whiz-bang gadgetry from the Juke, it just isn't enough.

It's a hell of a lot more than we've received in the form of the SE-R for the last few years. As a long time Nissan fan and owner of several SE-R Sentra's, this is a step in the right direction.

Now, that's nine kinds of awesome. Not that I think Nissan will make it. But it's still awesome.

Wow this really what the Sentra needs! Its been a pretty dull car for many years.

Plus that AUS version is very cool aswell i hope some of that trickles down to here in the US.

You know that Nismo put a lot of effort into this GT-R when it has incisor-like gaps in the rear spoiler. :eek:

'16 Facelifted Sentra

2016-Nissan-Sentra-FL-2.jpg

2016-Nissan-Sentra-FL-3.jpg

Sweet! I wonder if they've redesigned the driving position for people whose legs are longer than their arms.

Sentra to get more engine options and may get hatchback variant

Wards Auto
Nissansays more engine offerings are due for its U.S. Sentra compact car in the future, while it also studies, after a 26-year absence, a hatchback version of its sedan-only C-car.

“From a product standpoint, in the future you’ll see more engine offerings, and it’s full steam ahead. We’re fully focused on the segment,” Michael Bunce, director-product planning for Nissan North America tells WardsAuto in a recent interview in Detroit.

Meanwhile, another Nissan official says the brand is studying reviving a Sentra hatchback.

The first- and second-generation Sentra, in market in the U.S. from 1982-1990, were available in a 3-door hatchback body style, as well as a 5-door variant dubbed a wagon.

Reasons to revive a C-segment hatchback in the U.S. would be to offer consumers another choice and match the competitive set, Tony Baehner, senior manager of product planning-NNA, tells WardsAuto at a ’16 Sentra media preview here this week.

Reasons not to pursue the body style he says are the growing popularity of B- and C-segment CUVs, essentially hatchbacks with a taller ride height.

The C-segment hatchback segment in the U.S. also is dominated by two models: the Ford Focus and Mazda3 hatchbacks, which up to this point have made it hard for challengers to break into the sector. Baehner says this is reflected in the less-than-10% take rate of hatchback versions of other C-cars, including the Elantra and Forte.

A new player is coming in the form of the ’17 Chevrolet Cruze 5-door, introduced at the 2016 North American International Auto Show in Detroit this month and set to go on sale later this year in the U.S. Baehner says Nissan will monitor the Cruze’s sales in determining whether to pursue a Sentra hatch.
Wards Auto

Kinda surprised they waited this long to get to the engines. They are really the main thing that was always holding it back.

Safe guess is that they're looking to put the Juke's 1.6T in there. Not the worst idea, could increase the MPG a bit compared to the big 2.5L. But, what Nissan really needs to work out is the steering and suspension. If Honda can fix the Civic as well as they did, there's no reason not to do the same with the Sentra.

Safe guess is that they're looking to put the Juke's 1.6T in there. Not the worst idea, could increase the MPG a bit compared to the big 2.5L. But, what Nissan really needs to work out is the steering and suspension. If Honda can fix the Civic as well as they did, there's no reason not to do the same with the Sentra.
Don't expect major changes until the next one due in a few years. New engines next year and something else...

Back