2017 Formula 1 Azerbaijan Grand PrixFormula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 952 comments
This excitable interviewer is fantastic.
Yeah Davide Valsecchi is brilliant. His commentaries on the F2 series makes the dullest race exiting. If Murray Walker commentated with his trousers on fire, Valsecchi's clothes and the whole commentary booth are up in flames.

Not reading anything because I don't want spoilers but my stupid DVR didn't record qualifying because it was on CNBC not NBCSN. The app is still running "live" so I can't rewatch it yet. Anyone know how long it will take before they put it up for replay?

Hamilton seems to be less of an arse this year. Maybe it's because he isn't being beaten by a team-mate that he expected to have the measure of, but there's definitely less tension between Hamilton and Bottas than there was between Hamilton and Rosberg. It remains to be seen as to how he'll handle the title fight, and my cynicism means I fully expect him to do things like his little stunts in Mexico and Abu Dhabi, but maybe it's the beginning of a turn-around.

I fully expect him to do things like his little stunts in Mexico and Abu Dhabi
Every single one of us would've done the same thing in Hamiltons situation. It's not just any competition, it's a world championship, and if you're not willing to try everything within the rulebook to win it, what are you competing for?

Every single one of us would've done the same thing in Hamiltons situation
It wasn't so much that he did it, it's that he got on the radio and told the team "I think you should just let us race". When you're deliberately lapping nine or ten seconds slower than what you're capable of, it's not racing. Especially when the fans are complaining that the tyres are so sensitive that drivers cannot push. At the very least, he should have been up-front about what he was doing, not pretending that he was racing.

It wasn't so much that he did it, it's that he got on the radio and told the team "I think you should just let us race".
By which he meant "I'm driving the car, sod off", and any form of racing that isn't a full-blown sprint is usually going to have moments when the drivers aren't going flat-out anyway. Hamilton backing Rosberg into the pack was still racing and created possibly the best moment of the season as I was left wondering if Vettel would be able to make a move.

Last edited:
Palmer unhappy with the BBC's questions.

EDIT: May be UK region locked - apologies!

In short he's asked how he keeps his motivation up weekend after weekend, his answer is "by avoiding these little BBC interviews for a start". He goes on to explain that he'd like to "avoid having to keep answering these sorts of questions". He was basically in a veeeeery prickly mood :)

Last edited:
Which questions would they be, exactly?

Ah, could you hear the interview? It just occured to me that it's mounted in BBC's iPlayer and might be region locked?

In short he's asked how he keeps his motivation up weekend after weekend, his answer is "by avoiding these little BBC interviews for a start". He goes on to explain that he'd like to "avoid having to keep answering these sorts of questions". He was basically in a veeeeery prickly mood :)

He was basically in a veeeeery prickly mood
I did notice that Renault shot down the rumours of Robert Kubica making an FP1 appearance, but they didn't do it straight away. I first heard them on Thursday, but they only denied it yesterday.

If anyone just watched Sky it seemed that Horner Accused James Alison of telling Mercedes the fuel tactics that Ferrari use and to notify the FIA to ban it(resulting in a big performance loss).

Ferrari probably should of extended that gardening leave.

Palmer unhappy with the BBC's questions.

EDIT: May be UK region locked - apologies!

Here's a full transcription:

Interviewer:
When it comes to your season, how do you reflect on it so far?

Palmer: It's not been very good.

(pause)

Interviewer: And what you think are the problems, the things that are letting you down?

(pause)

Palmer: It's tough to say, I mean, you tell me. What's letting me down? I think qualifying pace and then we start on the back-foot in the race.

(pause)

Interviewer: It's obviously a difficult time for you, how do you manage that? How do you come back each weekend to feel positive and remain in a good place

Palmer: By avoiding these little BBC interviews probably. It's not a great place to start turning up on a Thursday and people come and they say "You're doing so poorly, how are you going to turn it around? What are you going to do?" You know, every weekend I turn up with the same attitude. It's a fresh weekend. Anything can happen here. So you go through, you do the track walk, you work with the engineers and it's a fresh start. So for me it's the same. It's just a shame to have to keep having to answer all these questions.

Latest Posts

Back