2017 Formula 1 Heineken Chinese Grand PrixFormula 1 

That is a good photoshop :D It wasn't that far @PzR Slim

Start-GP-China-2017-Shanghai-articleDetail-c5f2a11e-1064400.jpg

Doesn't look that far here...

2059395-43183396-640-360.jpg

No need for the big red arrow, but yes he was pretty far across...

And Red Bull has asked the FIA to clarify the rule for the next race. As it is now, the drivers have to stay behind the white line, the start box (where they are always standing) is not mentioned in the rules. That is also the reason Vettel didn't get a penalty, because there is no ruling (yet) about standing IN thebox.

P3!

maxlolava3iljq.png

What happened to Niko Hulkenberg?
Great qualification,good race start with position six or seven ,then the change of tyres like the others.
Then he drop to last positions.Strange
He seems to be cursed.

Last edited:
The activation point seems like it starts too late on the back straight.

I liked it personally. That's how I'd like it to be, where it gives you a chance to make a move into the next set of corners but you still have to the hard work. I don't find the entertainment in being handed an effortless pass because you managed to get within 5-6 cars lengths of the following car.

I like how most of the good overtaking was into T6...kind of puts a damper on the whole "need a slow corner, long straight, slow corner" theory on how to create overtaking.

It's not the speed of the corners that really matters! It's the ability of the chasing car to pick an alternative line through the exit of the first corner before the straight.

Turns 1-4 have multiple lines through it, so a car can be close going into 6.

T13 has one line going through it, there's no way to close distance by taking an alternative line and focusing on exit speed.

Kinda sucks to be rooting for the McLaren Honda of Alonso and then disaster happens you expect Honda to be the failing part of the car, then you learn it was something McLaren is responsible for :lol:

Will anything go right for that team? He's had two points positions in the bag stolen from him by the part of the car that's supposed to be reliable!

And that's how Formula 1 works. You do it until they tell you can't. How very sportsmanlike :/

I don't understand why people get mad at those trying something different just because the FIA never makes a clear interpretation of the rules. I guess the argument would be it's common sense, and I'm sure the drivers have plenty of that, but common sense doesn't yield the best outcome always.

I don't understand why people get mad at those trying something different just because the FIA never makes a clear interpretation of the rules. I guess the argument would be it's common sense, and I'm sure the drivers have plenty of that, but common sense doesn't yield the best outcome always.

I'd also question whether he really did gain anything? You're off the rubbered up launch strips, so I don't think there's much of an advantage there unless it's sopping wet and the surface off the rubber is significantly grippier.

Since he didn't beat Hamilton in the first corner drag, I'd say no advantage gained. Whether he was aiming for one, who knows?

I'd also question whether he really did gain anything? You're off the rubbered up launch strips, so I don't think there's much of an advantage there unless it's sopping wet and the surface off the rubber is significantly grippier.

Since he didn't beat Hamilton in the first corner drag, I'd say no advantage gained. Whether he was aiming for one, who knows?

I'm sure on the run up laps they had time to figure out and that's probably where he felt he'd have the best chance to get life in the tires and get a shot at the lead.

Though what if he did gain an advantage, would it be any worse or better in trying to figure out if this is something that should be prevented.

Still think Hamilton will win the WDC this year. Hopefully ferrari makes it interesting but merc has the better driver and the better car still.

I'd also question whether he really did gain anything? You're off the rubbered up launch strips,

I'd guess that was the point... cold(ish) tyres on top of wet rubber, probably something to avoid. That aside there's the added advantage of Hamilton potentially thinking "what's he doing?", the psychological equivalent of seeing Schumacher parking his car pointing across the track.

I'd guess that was the point... cold(ish) tyres on top of wet rubber, probably something to avoid. That aside there's the added advantage of Hamilton potentially thinking "what's he doing?", the psychological equivalent of seeing Schumacher parking his car pointing across the track.

Doubt it, he's saw Nico do it so many times or the angle in the grid spot, that it probably didn't phase him.

The first half of the race was pretty good. The second half (i.e. "watching Red Bull Paint Dry") was a waste. Quick thoughts.

1) Vettel pushing it on straddling the start box - if I were the team and he'd been penalized I'd be frikkin' furious.
2) Giovanazzi throwing his career away in rapid fashion by burning a couple million worth of Sauber money.
3) Max, talent be damned, acting like a spoilt child (maybe he got it from Vettel last season)
4) McLaren...(sigh). I wonder if Alonso only signed a contract to race 70% of each race and then "box box box, save the car" (no slight against Alonso - I'd bail out if I were him and go steal someone else's seat)
5) Bottas and Kimi need to step it up.

While I doubt we'll see a genuine on-track battle between Hamilton and Vettel this season I will enjoy the manufacturer's championship.

When was the last time a driver won the WDC while another manufacturer won?

When was the last time a driver won the WDC while another manufacturer won?

Aditionally, 2010 and 2012 were only a couple ifs/buts away from having a Ferrari-powered WDC and Red Bull WCC.

Off the top of my head, from the last 30 years a WDC-WCC split has happened just 3 times. I guess that speaks to how traditionally "uncompetitive" F1 is (as in, there is usually one team at the front with a clear advantage in some way) more than anything else. Might be interesting to look at that statistic for other motorsports.

That is what intrigues me about this season.

**Warning: Hypotheticals**

If Lewis and Seb trade wins, suddenly Bottas/Kimi accidentally winning a race becomes a slightly bigger deal. In addition with splits where both cars from one team fall between the two of the opposing team the manufacturer points become more close/important. Add Red Bull in there as a points robber (I have no expectation they'll win either) and it becomes more intriguing.

People get offended when I say that the racing in F1 is mediocre compared to a lot of other forms of racing...and I stand by that. However I enjoy the machinations behind the scenes, the tech, the drama, the team rivalries etc. I hope Seb/Lewis keep trading wins with a few other victors sneaking in there. Makes the season interesting to me.

Red Bull is getting a major engine upgrade that should be ready for Canada and hen they'll be a lot more competitive. Not sure if Renault's factory team is getting the same deal

Yeah I'm just waiting for Aston to finally get an engine going for Red Bull due to all the collaboration they have been doing. But I believe also that the McLaren-Honda fiasco has them biding their time

I'm just waiting for Aston to finally get an engine going for Red Bull due to all the collaboration they have been doing.
You'll be waiting for a long time, then - Aston Martin have said that they have no plans to build an engine. The sponsorship deal is just that: it's about brand exposure.

Yeah I'm just waiting for Aston to finally get an engine going for Red Bull due to all the collaboration they have been doing.

You'll be waiting for a long time, then - Aston Martin have said that they have no plans to build an engine. The sponsorship deal is just that: it's about brand exposure.

You'd be more likely to seeing Aston Martin getting naming rights or a token, nominal contribution towards an engine rather than them building engines themselves.

Unless Prodrive decide to build engines but that's a big gamble especially considering how badly Honda has come back to the sport and Prodrive is not a manufacturer.

You'd be more likely to seeing Aston Martin getting naming rights or a token, nominal contribution towards an engine rather than them building engines themselves.

Unless Prodrive decide to build engines but that's a big gamble especially considering how badly Honda has come back to the sport and Prodrive is not a manufacturer.
Ross Brawn has said that he wants to bring engine costs down to the point where an independent engine builder like Ilmor could enter the sport. But a lot of that will hinge on the final form of the 2021 regulations, and even then, it would be a risk to pin their hopes on a new entrant - especially if there's hybrid technology involved.

Back