2017 General WEC/ELMS/AsLMS Discussion ThreadSports Cars 

• Thread starter IforceV8
  • 2,611 comments
I just think he might (fingers crossed) as the reason he left was that BMW didn't go to Le Mans.

Are BMW going to make a car for WEC in 2018 or just enter a tank with a series of waivers? I guess the other option is entering a prototype and hoping nobody notices.
The rumour is the next 6-Series will be significantly different and become a rival for the Mercedes-AMG GT. It will be interesting to see what happens in that regard.

Also, the rumour of Lamborghini joining the GTE ranks, possibly for 2018 too, refuse to go away.

With Peugeot likely to return to LMP1 in 2019 the WEC has a bright future!

Last edited:
Yea I was hoping. Imagine they abandon F1 for a few years while regulations change? Wait for that to settle down and be stable/understood

Yea I was hoping. Imagine they abandon F1 for a few years while regulations change? Wait for that to settle down and be stable/understood
Don't think they'll drop F1, I mean, they are the factory Honda team and the McLaren F1/GT-Road car divisions are separate. But who knows in the future, LMP1 is more open, costs less(ish) and is growing.

Didn't we already have some idea that BMW were coming, now it's just official. Wake me up when another manufacture joins P1. I think the racing can only get better in the already great GTE, so them joining isn't anything special. Rather them finally getting their act together as they were rumored to, for 2018 or 19, now it's obviously 18'

In reality it should have been something they were thinking of doing long ago, from a PR competition perspective.

Last edited:
Absolute dumb and wild speculation on what I think BMW might do, so if you want to skip it, I'll make it a spoiler. I completely made this up and have no facts to back it up on. It's a bit of fun. :)

But...
I say BMW pulls a Ford and revives this guy.

Obviously, with less right angles and fancier headlights.

For those who don't know, this is the M1. The first mid - engined BMW from 1978 that was built primarily to be a race car. Reason why I think this might happen is because the current regs appear to favor a mid - engine design. Porsche appears to be going the mid - engine route, and spy photos say Corvette might be doing the same, as well. BMW doesn't have one of those ...yet. If Ford can do it, don't see why BMW can't.

And just sayin'... 2018 juuuuuust happens to mark the M1's 40th anniversary. ;)

But again, I completely made this up. Cool to think about, though.

Regardless of what happens, it'll be interesting to see what BMW come up with.

Absolute dumb and wild speculation on what I think BMW might do, so if you want to skip it, I'll make it a spoiler. I completely made this up and have no facts to back it up on. It's a bit of fun. :)

But...
I say BMW pulls a Ford and revives this guy.

Obviously, with less right angles and fancier headlights.

For those who don't know, this is the M1. The first mid - engined BMW from 1978 that was built primarily to be a race car. Reason why I think this might happen is because the current regs appear to favor a mid - engine design. Porsche appears to be going the mid - engine route, and spy photos say Corvette might be doing the same, as well. BMW doesn't have one of those ...yet. If Ford can do it, don't see why BMW can't.

And just sayin'... 2018 juuuuuust happens to mark the M1's 40th anniversary. ;)

But again, I completely made this up. Cool to think about, though.

Regardless of what happens, it'll be interesting to see what BMW come up with.
While I love the theory, I believe they're sticking to the M6. But...if GM makes an MR Corvette...then I wouldn't be surprised about a modern M1 maybe.

While I love the theory, I believe they're sticking to the M6. But...if GM makes an MR Corvette...then I wouldn't be surprised about a modern M1 maybe.

I wouldn't surprise me at all if BMW decides to stick a coffee table diffuser on the back of an M6 and roll with that, sort of piggyback off of what Team RLL is doing in the States. But if they're not going with the M6, my theory stands for at least another week. :lol:

The I8 would be the best Shape to use as a body for GT.

I totally agree and support the idea of an i8 race car, that would be sweet! Don't see it happening, sadly.

DallaraLMP2.jpg

Autosprint, a Italian motorsport publisher has gotten spy photos of the new Dallara LMP2 during testing.

The headlights is the only thing I don't really like on it.

Suspiciously Porsche-esque when it comes to front end treatment (with abit of Rebellion).

Back