2017 IMSA WeatherTech SCC - Round 4: COTA

Difficult to imagine the WEC race getting much attendance if previous races are anything to go by.

I'm also watching the 24 hour series from Paul Ricard.
The WEC race had a huge crowd last year, and it's been getting bigger and bigger each year and I don't see this year being any different.

I must hate myself, 'cause for some reason I need to remind myself how awful Fox's coverage is.

*returns from commercial break* Close racing on track? Screw that! Let's have Justin Bell talk about absolutely nothing in the garage area! *cuts to commercial*

The WEC race had a huge crowd last year, and it's been getting bigger and bigger each year and I don't see this year being any different.

I liked the combo last year. It made imsa less important but was cool to have both on same weekend.

It was big because it had IMSA and a 3 day event to support it.

The attendance today was huge. I don't see the WEC getting its same numbers as the last 2 years; hotter time of the year and a very long race that a lot of people leave by late night.

A LOT of people, the teams included, loved being in May weather.

always surprising to see a well established engine blow up when you'd expect it from a newer concept, too bad for Nissan Onroak

It was big because it had IMSA and a 3 day event to support it.

The attendance today was huge. I don't see the WEC getting its same numbers as the last 2 years; hotter time of the year and a very long race that a lot of people leave by late night.

A LOT of people, the teams included, loved being in May weather.
It also certainly helps that IMSA doesn't have to compete against college football this year either. They were literally shooting themselves in the foot going against that in Texas of all states.

I must hate myself, 'cause for some reason I need to remind myself how awful Fox's coverage is.

*returns from commercial break* Close racing on track? Screw that! Let's have Justin Bell talk about absolutely nothing in the garage area! *cuts to commercial*

Let's be honest - that's nothing to do with Fox, most likely. Probably everything to do with the sponsorship deals with IMSA. Admittedly...I just watch the races on YouTube a couple days after they run - thanks IMSA! :D

Let's be honest - that's nothing to do with Fox, most likely. Probably everything to do with the sponsorship deals with IMSA. Admittedly...I just watch the races on YouTube a couple days after they run - thanks IMSA! :D

It's a combination of a few things. Fox and IMSA definitely shoot 'tech pieces' that are more or less advertisements. That actually doesn't bother me as much, because sometimes they do something cool. It's cutting to the pits every 30 seconds only for a pointless piece or interview when there's action on track. I just find FS's style of coverage for IMSA to be distracting, more so than any other TV race coverage we get in the States (despite Greg and Calvin's extreme levels shouting, different issue altogether), and I really don't understand why they feel the need to do what they do. So I really don't 'watch' the race until it's up on the 'Tube anyway.

Oh, I agree, it's a lot of pointless stuff - it was even worse back before the big merger, the last days of the Rolex series were terrible with 10-15 minute segments on "racetrack to the road!" etc. nonsense. I'm thankful IMSA puts stuff on YouTube so I can just watch it and enjoy it without the junk. Even if Hindhaugh misses stuff on occasion.

I was actually lucky enough to hear Justin go over his lines, and I think you're pretty spot on; they were discussing what Justin needed to say in the opening segments.
IMG_7551.jpg

Back