2017 Suzuki Swift!/2018 Swift Sport

• Thread starter 05XR8
  • 124 comments
New Swift Sport manual 970kg

Priced from $25,490 (plus on-road costs) in manual form, the pint-size hot hatch arrives $1000 dearer than the outgoing model, with automatic variants now retailing for $27,490 plus ORCs.

The price jump places the latest Swift Sport in close proximity to the Ford Fiesta ST ($27,490) and soon-to-be-replaced Volkswagen Polo GTI ($27,690), and swimming distance from the sizzling new Renault Clio RS ($30,990).

Just took one for a spin.
The seats are snug (perfect), the shifts are close, ratios close, clutch is easy, car was quiet until I nailed the throttle. I was aware, but let's say dealers shouldn't put tyre shine on cars that are good around corners. The graphs for "Power" & "Torque" were cute.

Exterior body kit is perfect. Carbon look allround. Wheels don't have to be changed- there are optional black multispoke wheels of a different design.
The interior is finished nice. Fading red to black trims on the door and dash, red stitching on the seats. Had my daughter with me. Booster seat latches on rears seats are the best (doesn't intrude on cargo space). There's a tyre fix kit under the floor cover (something to do with exhaust placement).
At idle, the exhaust reminds me of my GLI from the late '80s. I didnt get any popping and crackling at overrun (doesn't matter). For 25 minutes, the push in the back never got old though. Power delivery was smooth, 6th gear at 60km/h was a quiet cruise. A/C was at full blast(about 30° outside), radio on and me and my daughter had a pleasant chat about the amount of legroom for her in back. The rear tinted windows are a bonus.

For a new car at $26k, I don't think there's anything more fun. I want one.

20180119_103446.jpg
20180119_103421.jpg
20180119_103523.jpg

As good as the shove in the back is, is it as exciting as wringing out the M16A from second into third?

VXR
As good as the shove in the back is, is it as exciting as wringing out the M16A from second into third?
Been a while since I've driven a ZC3S. It's exciting in a different way to the NA though. i say you'll have to drive the turbo and make that decision. However, the light weight and torque combo, will be evident from your current SSS. It's turbo exciting. Like my Megane was. As you can see the "low" redline in the pic, revs so quick, I was in the fuel cutoff 1st and 2nd gear.

The 6200 cut off probably tells its own story then? What point does the boost tail off? I'm so into keeping my foot in and having it pull harder to peak power at 6,900 that it would probably feel a little diesely to me at first.

Funny you mentioned the Megane, the 225 Cup I once drove has been the only turbo car I've really enjoyed.

VXR
The 6200 cut off probably tells its own story then? What point does the boost tail off? I'm so into keeping my foot in and having it pull harder to peak power at 6,900 that it would probably feel a little diesely to me at first.

Funny you mentioned the Megane, the 225 Cup I once drove has been the only turbo car I've really enjoyed.
That's the thing, the boost was strong. From my initial drive, that boost is always there. Pulls from low rpm, just when I thought it'll keep going up the rev counter, I had to grab another gear. Feels like it could rev beyond 6900.

Yes, I loved revving my old EP3 Si, but when I felt the boost & torque from my 265 Trophy+, it was addicting. I understand what you mean about the diesel feel, but it's different to that. If you get the chance to drive one and can spend more time with it that I did, would be cool to read your impression. As I would anyone else's, if they check one out.

Good news: The Suzuki Swift Sport has been updated and is still in production. It's also now an eco-friendly hybrid!
Suzuki-Swift-Sport-Hybrid-14.jpg

Bad news: Performance has been considerably nerfed. Peak power is now rated at 127hp (down 10hp) and the new hybrid system adds 15kg, taking the total weight to 1,025kg. This doesn't sound too bad, but somehow the new Swift is a full second slower to 60mph than the old one, so the sprint takes 9.1 seconds. To put that into perspective, the Up! GTI completes the 0-60 sprint in 8.8 seconds. :boggled:

How on earth did they manage to take such a good package and screw the pooch on it? With a hybrid it should have been an entry level to electric boosted performance, not seemingly a measure to creep in under WLTP rules.

Check the number plate "No HorsePower". C'mon, Maannnnn.

I'm beginning to think the ZC3S is the last of its kind and a better buy. If anything, regarding the new model, be better off buying the 880kg base Swift and have fun tuning the suspension and adding light weight wheels.

Last edited:
VXR
How on earth did they manage to take such a good package and screw the pooch on it? With a hybrid it should have been an entry level to electric boosted performance, not seemingly a measure to creep in under WLTP rules.
Their hands are tied somewhat. Adding performance with electrification would have added much more weight and expense, as well as just performance.

What Suzuki seems to have done instead is take the mild hybrid tech from elsewhere in the Swift range and applied it to this car - keeping costs down and helping the car meet emissions regulations so they can even sell it in the first place. Every g/km of CO2 over 100g/km costs carmakers money now.

Worth remembering too that the 1.4 is underrated somewhat in the first place. A tuner I've spoken to reckon it made nearer 150hp from the factory, and even with the new lower output the power/weight ratio isn't too shabby.

A third of a second slower than the Up is no big deal either - they deliver their power in very different ways, and unless the character of the engine changes significantly, I'd be fairly confident in it still feeling quicker than the VW even if the figures say otherwise.

Good news: The Suzuki Swift Sport has been updated and is still in production. It's also now an eco-friendly hybrid!

Bad news: Performance has been considerably nerfed. Peak power is now rated at 127hp (down 10hp) and the new hybrid system adds 15kg, taking the total weight to 1,025kg. This doesn't sound too bad, but somehow the new Swift is a full second slower to 60mph than the old one, so the sprint takes 9.1 seconds. To put that into perspective, the Up! GTI completes the 0-60 sprint in 8.8 seconds. :boggled:
Why oh why

Why oh why
Their hands are tied somewhat. Adding performance with electrification would have added much more weight and expense, as well as just performance.

What Suzuki seems to have done instead is take the mild hybrid tech from elsewhere in the Swift range and applied it to this car - keeping costs down and helping the car meet emissions regulations so they can even sell it in the first place. Every g/km of CO2 over 100g/km costs carmakers money now.

Worth remembering too that the 1.4 is underrated somewhat in the first place. A tuner I've spoken to reckon it made nearer 150hp from the factory, and even with the new lower output the power/weight ratio isn't too shabby.

A third of a second slower than the Up is no big deal either - they deliver their power in very different ways, and unless the character of the engine changes significantly, I'd be fairly confident in it still feeling quicker than the VW even if the figures say otherwise.

The mild-hybrid Swift Sport costs... £21,570 :boggled:

That definitely looks expensive, but it places the Swift roughly in line with the 130hp Clio RS Line and 140hp Fiesta ST-Line. The latter is due to receive mild-hybrid powertrains later this year which could push its price up further. Doesn't seem too long ago you could get a warm hatch for less than £15k.

Just read a review about the Fiesta ST vs Polo GTI. Those two are now $40kAUD :eek: . That's hot hatch territory. I understand small cars get notched up as they grow bigger, but like you said, the prices are getting silly.
Scared to think what a Mazdaspeed2(if one were to ever be) price would look like.
I wind up looking at cars like the Kia Picanto GT and MG3.

The Blitz version looks really good on that video !

The only minor thing i don't like is the rims.

That can easily be fixed...

This car is aimed at Millenials, whom we know are the least interested in cars the way previous generations are...
Millenials are not interested in power, they are barely interested in driving, so long as they can get from A to B when constantly being connected to social media, so most of them wont even notice that this is slower to 60mph by a second...

Having said that, when i initially saw the photos to this new gen Swift a few months ago, i didn't think much of it and was not yet acclimated to it...
Back then remember saying how much i love the old design over this one!
And today while looking at it and if you squint your eyes, you really can see the front of this car being inspired by the GTR Godzilla...
The lines on this new gen Swift is really sharp....
I think they did a good evolution from the last one, and refresh where it was needed...
Good Job Suzuki ...

They have designed a new car that makes me want to have it despite me being no longer interested in low powered / small cars, that is no small feat !
i can see myself getting this car just to get around time for fun, i am really liking how this looks now, slap wider wheels or some spacers, lower it by at least an inch, tint the windows and it will be perfect !

I am impressed (by the look) i must say.

There's a triple black debaged SSS driving around my suburb. Young female driver. It's even got smoked tailights. Very tasteful clean car. May be done up to showcase aftermarket accessories.

I see more in dark grey than the Champion yellow. Really is a good looking car.

This car is aimed at Millenials, whom we know are the least interested in cars the way previous generations are...
Millenials are not interested in power, they are barely interested in driving, so long as they can get from A to B when constantly being connected to social media, so most of them wont even notice that this is slower to 60mph by a second...
Struggling to tell if this is satire or not...

If it isn't, the actual reason is emissions, pure and simple. In Europe carmakers are subject to large fines for every g/km of CO2 over 100g/km so getting cars as close to or below that figure is the only way certain cars can be financially viable to sell in certain markets. Profits on small cars like the Swift are pretty low already and having to pay a fine per vehicle sold just erodes that further, so mild hybrid tech and the like is a relatively inexpensive way of reducing those fines. Any loss in performance is preferable to loss of the entire model.

If it isn't, the actual reason is emissions, pure and simple. In Europe carmakers are subject to large fines for every g/km of CO2 over 100g/km so getting cars as close to or below that figure is the only way certain cars can be financially viable to sell in certain markets. Profits on small cars like the Swift are pretty low already and having to pay a fine per vehicle sold just erodes that further, so mild hybrid tech and the like is a relatively inexpensive way of reducing those fines. Any loss in performance is preferable to loss of the entire model.
Plus, as long as it has Apple Car Play, it's in the list for shoppers. ;)

You are as correct as I am wrong...

New look Suzuki Swift.

According to the article, based off the same platform but gets a new interior, exterior facelift and a mild-hybrid.

1699433461893.png

1699433475539.png

1699433508448.png

Can't say I'm a fan of the new look.

Seems like a theme. Just had a look at the new Skoda Superb. That car is losing a bit of its Skoda-ness, for a nearly older car look.
That new Swift is losing its look as well.

I despise this trend of the hood/bonnet looking like its sitting on top of the car, rather than it flowing with the body. It reminds me of the VW bug. The new civic has it too. I'm guessing this has to do with pedestrian safety or some other bologna.

Back