2018 Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship - The 60th AnniversaryTouring Cars 

• Thread starter Furinkazen
  • 58 comments
Great stuff from Parker there, i've got a couple details RE that in my updated silly season chart.

DYNAMICS HONDA – Honda Civic – Neal/Cammish
Pretty much all confirmed here. Rumours persist of a switch to the new Civic. Releasing Simpson is perhaps a sign. Neal has mentioned in a magazine interview it is the new Civic for 2018. Shedden gone, car a month behind on development, replacement allegedly confirmed. But who? Answer is Porsche dominator Dan Cammish, a risky signing but also a very strong one.

BMR SUBARU – Subaru Levorg – Sutton/Plato/Cole???/Price???
Sutton returns after a fantastic second season and takes #1. Arguably that title win has helped keep the BMR programme and Subaru funding… but who else would be driving? JP had his 3rd season and often does 3 year contracts... But was indicated according to reports to be close to re-signing (and he has), Adrian Flux are a personal sponsor of his... & heard that Plato/ Sutton would be only two cars, then again who knows? Autosport indicate maybe 3 cars. I've heard it could be James Cole with his big lot of cash and guitars.

WSR BMW UK – BMW 1 Series – Turkington/Rob Collard/Jordan
Turkington pretty much guaranteed, Jordan probably staying if for the fact that he won’t have any more teams to drive for if he leaves. Rob’s son Ricky tested in the off-season. 4th car was under consideration I hear, but funding dictates staying at three. All confirmed. Footnote - apparently engine evolutions over last couple years have cost WSR 500k. No wonder BMW won't let them sell a car without a BMW unit in it...

EUROTECH – Honda Civic – Brett Smith/Goff/Simpson
Brett Smith maybe taking over his dad Jeff’s seat full time? - Answer is yes. Jeff won’t return this year as he recovers from Croft injuries. Goff likely to resign (and he has), Simpson brings his TBL over from Dynamics and his car - midfielders beware once more!

CICELY – Mercedes A-Class – Morgan/Oliphant
Heard whispers Cicely changing car for a new manufacturer, but news has gone quiet. Otherwise, don’t expect any great changes. Well, a second Mercedes, the original chassis (2017 was a new build) is being put back into duty for Tom Oliphant, respectable Porsche driver. TBL acquired from Maximum Motorsport.

SPEEDWORKS – Toyota Avensis – Ingram
Not expecting any changes here, just a stronger title push from “TIngram”. Livery unveil at media day, that's literally the only change.

AMD – Audi S3/MG6 – Ollie Jackson/Smelt/Whorton-Eales???/???
Ollie might returns(actually a surprise to me with £££). No luck for AWE (Or is there?). Tordoff tested the Audi and Moffat visited the team but nothing came of it, with Sam Smelt (who?) in the second car. AMD acquired two MG's and TBL's from what was 888, paid for by canning the British GT programme. AWE's been quiet, as previously mentioned... Still news to come, both cars to be backed by RCIB Insurance.

LASER – Mercedes A-Class - Moffat?

If LASER & Moffatt keep going (not exactly a big-budget outfit), potential equipment change? Moffat tested a Subaru before start of 2016 season, and who knows if Warren has any spares lying about. Is Cicely going to two cars a sign of less input into LASER / the team not existing in its current guise anymore? Worth noting the Mercedes is their own. Nope, the Mercs back, LASER are back, carry on as 2017 went on please Mr Moffat.

HMS – Alfa Giulia – Austin
Rebranded squad of Simon Belcher bring Alfa back, and keep Austin after taking the teams maiden win at the last race of 2017. The car's alive by the way.

PMR – Vauxhall Astra – Proctor/Cook/Rullo???

JST winner Proctor surely has to be a favourite for a seat. Rullo tested after a less than stellar VASC campaign. Tordoff tested as well. The programme’s relative success, and Chilton leaving, could have freed up some £££ for a very big name… And they wound up with Josh Cook after all that alongside Proctor. Probably stuck at 2 cars but don't think there has been total confirmation of this. Well now more I think of it, looks set at two cars.

MOTORBASE – Ford Focus – Mat Jackson/Chilton
Will be back with Shredded Wheat sponsorship and a car that's almost as old fashioned. Chilton joins Jackson (errm...), Butcher was decent when he replaced injured Davenport, Depper less so… However latter two out of luck, Confirmed that the TBL has gone to HARD. Well this got interesting quickly. Motorbase got a third TBl back for Sam Tordoff to return in a JCT600-backed entry, and then Mat Jackson got his contract terminated. However the team are still running 3 cars, so the second ~deep breath~ Team Shredded Wheat Racing with Gallagher entry is now open...

PARKER – BMW 1 Series - Jelley
Was Parker-Maximum - Lines gone, Parker had gone quiet but teased news coming. Well, interesting. BMW 1 Series chassis from WSR (perhaps the 1st chassis?) sold from WSR with full BMW engine unit. Jelley is a RWD man through and through, and last time he was in a BMW he won a race... This could be one to watch.

HARD - VW Passat - Thompson/Hill/Bushell/Caine
Major steps made in 2017, and that was just in designing a livery that didn't burn retina's. Hill returns, always quite impressive. Thompson comes over from VW Racing, Bushell finally gets back in BTCC after a Clio spell, and Caine blow's the bloody doors off the 4th car (well, they better not hope that happens). Brisky Racing help run the new 4th car (Bushell), and the engineering side has had some progress. Burns leaves for British GT.

BTC-Norlin - Honda Civic - Smiley/???
Arguably the feel-good story of 2017. Newsham retires as do the veteran Chevrolet Cruzes. Smiley 's rewarded for his transformation from lapped traffic to consistent points scorer with a second season with the ex 2016 works Honda's. Second driver announcement due soon... James Nash returns after a few years in the wilderness. Did alright in a Chevy back in the S2000 days. Midfield runner for a while probably but no worse than that.

WELCH - ??? - Welch??? Aside from testing TCR, Dan's been very optimistic about getting on the grid. When you've got a 6 year old car, haven't got correct suspension kit or an engine, "Optimistic" is a good way to describe the car, not "Optimus". Unless you build a new car on a budget of 25p... or put that 25p into TCR UK. Also good luck getting the TBL you loaned to Motorbase back, it's now with Gilham and Team HARD. Nope, they're not coming back.

PRO MOTORSPORT - Infiniti - ???
Team looked ready for a 2017 return but didn't get a TBL. Gone quiet since then. They did have engines as well (albeit old-spec)... Guess they make nice museum pieces.

Michael Epps
Out of Team HARD and maybe £££? TCR UK is around though and he did test there. Clio Cup UK, look out.

Ant-Whorton-Eales
Out of AMD after spending 2017 generally glued to VW bodywork. Deserves a seat.

Martin Depper
Spent first half of 2017 testing tyre walls, and next half of 2017... wait, he was racing? Didn't notice!

Rory Butcher
Likely to return to GT racing after his part-season with Motorbase.

Gordon Shedden
TCR International.

MAXIMUM MOTORSPORT
Sold the Focus (the first NGTC Ford chassis!) which is being cannabilised by Cicely, and focus on TCR and VW Cup now. Track marshals across the country suddenly have 50% less work to do in 2018.

Ded.

Seems to be a trend away from saloons towards smaller hatchbacks. Guess the benefits of a nimble shorter wheelbase outweigh the benefits of a more stable-in-the-quick corners longer wheelbase.

Seems to be a trend away from saloons towards smaller hatchbacks. Guess the benefits of a nimble shorter wheelbase outweigh the benefits of a more stable-in-the-quick corners longer wheelbase.

That and how modern hatchbacks are size-wise quite comparable to a late 90s mid 00s saloon.

Edit: Cicely reveal 7pm tomorrow.

Last edited:
Huh? Why?
Warren Scott. Remember other year he bought 888 over with BMR and the teams IIRC shared workshops? Well note since the Subaru deal how 888 got nearly no financial input and fell away as a result. Final straw arguably was the dismissal (in rather clumsy circumstances) of Ian Harrison the day of Oulton Park last year, and replacement with Nico Ferrari... who was head of BKR, who were the BMR B-team in effect of 2016 with Howard and Smith...

Well, guess it means those Honda's will have some pretty neat looking liveries then :lol:.

Also tho new HMS Giulietta hit the track at Donnington today.

Alfa Romeo Giuliette HMS BTCC.jpg

Really quite a handsome looking, beast, looking wide and beefy :eek:, livery works well too. Will be interesting to see it's competitiveness out the box come Brands. Also be interesting too see how Nash acclimatise's himself back in the BTCC, wasn't too bad during his brief stint previously.

Now I'm just curious with the Team Dynamics guys, eager to see if it is the new Type R Civic, surely I'd have thought.

Last edited:
Warren Scott. Remember other year he bought 888 over with BMR and the teams IIRC shared workshops? Well note since the Subaru deal how 888 got nearly no financial input and fell away as a result. Final straw arguably was the dismissal (in rather clumsy circumstances) of Ian Harrison the day of Oulton Park last year, and replacement with Nico Ferrari... who was head of BKR, who were the BMR B-team in effect of 2016 with Howard and Smith...

You are asking me if I remember Warren Scott brought 88 over to join BMR? I don't have a clue what business is done or how it is done behind the scenes. I don't have that degree of access inside teams to see how teams build and set up cars, what money they have and where they direct that money in the team or how the do business such as selling or acquiring teams, cars or drivers. Not do much from the point of view of financial transactions but more the boardroom. Meetings with people and what is discussed. But I am happy to take you at your word.

So there is no more 888? Is there any hope of someone somewhere doing something to revive 888?

Grid is officially complete with Josh Price continuing at BMR and it's Media Day. Interesting note is BMR have switched from Mountune to Swindon engines - surely this can't mean death of the glorious boxer growl? Media Day today so guess we'll find out after 12pm :D

Went to Croft for the 17th time since my first year in 2001 and chose the back-straight between Hawthorn and Tower. Great view. Got sunburned on my neck and on my forearm but it was worth it to see one of the best series there is. Sutton back on form? Turks starting to slip down? I think so long as Turks' keeps up consistency I think he stands a good chance of taking the title.

I was at Croft as well, good see it busy, like it was in British Superbikes. Bit quite on Friday, but picked, rest of weekend. I like move around, watched couple of races at first corner, on the bank, going down back straight into Tower. Really good on the back part, coming out Jim Clark S, into Barcroft, Sunny In Out, through complex.

Been to Nostalgia Weekend to, recommend that as well.:)

Absolutely, Juniors going at it hammer and tongs as well in another great battle for 1st between Smalley and Browning. The wet and changing conditions seem to be adding to the fantastic racing so far; as if it was needed anyway, so we look set for a brilliant day of racing that's for sure.

Absolutely, Juniors going at it hammer and tongs as well in another great battle for 1st between Smalley and Browning. The wet and changing conditions seem to be adding to the fantastic racing so far; as if it was needed anyway, so we look set for a brilliant day of racing that's for sure.

I would prefer Race #3 to be dry though, also Gow can we keep the 15 min shoot-out style Q format, please?

I would prefer Race #3 to be dry though, also Gow can we keep the 15 min shoot-out style Q format, please?

I'd probably agree with you on that, a dry race 3 would be preferable. And judging by the strong winds drivers have been reporting, the track seems to be drying out quickly, permitting any rain. With it being a 1 hour race, it being dry would make it better; not that a wet race would be dull. far from it of course. With everyone being more fired up in race 3 anyway, a dry race would allow for "smoother" running if you know what I mean, given the potential for stoppages/safety cars under a frantic wet race 3. Nonetheless, with more at stake with it being double points, race 3 shouldn't disappoint given the quality of the racing so far.

Edit:
Diamond Double race soon to get underway, going to be intriguing as it's no longer wet but it's not quite fully dry either, interesting conditions.

Last edited:
BTCC to adopt hybrid technology at the end of 2021.

Evolution of BTCC regulations to include hybrid at the end of 2021

TOCA, Series Organiser of the MSA British Touring Car Championship, has announced that hybrid power will be introduced to the series within the evolution of the current technical regulations at the end of 2021.

The hugely successful NGTC regulations are already in the second half of its ten-year term, and at a meeting last week the BTCC Technical Working Group (TWG) agreed an outline of the pathway for the introduction of hybrid energy.

It was confirmed at the TWG that a specified hybrid unit would be fitted to all cars as an addition to their current drive train. This will allow each car to have a reserve of supplementary hybrid power available during each race, which can then be used by drivers as part of their overall race strategy.

The detailed engineering aspects of the project will now commence in close conjunction with the TWG, with finite technical decisions to be made over the coming 12-18 months. It’s envisaged that some current cars will be fitted with hybrid units during 2020/2021 as part of the project’s test and development programme.

Updates will be provided by TOCA during the course of the project.

Alan Gow, BTCC Series Director, said: “We’re going through a very important and exciting time for this great championship, so I’m delighted to now confirm that the BTCC will be introducing hybrid energy as part of our evolution.

“This concept was very welcomed at our recent TWG meeting and now the real work begins as to the technical implementation. But different to hybrid development within the likes of Formula 1, this certainly shouldn’t – and won’t – be an ‘extreme’ technical exercise, but rather will be one which we will introduce within our NGTC technical regulations relatively seamlessly and very cost-effectively.

“Just as importantly, by incorporating hybrid it keeps the BTCC absolutely relevant to manufacturers, sponsors and the public… with the added benefit of further enhancing our great racing. Drivers will have a given reserve of additional hybrid power to use during each race, which will provide an extra element of race-craft and excitement to the fantastically close and entertaining racing that is the hallmark of the BTCC.”

Sounds like a sensible option to me .
We all know that at some point the internal combustion engine is going to be made to feel unwelcome (booo.. ) but if some form of regenerative electrical system could be employed alongside a , probably smaller , petrol engine then the sounds and smells that we all know and love will be with us for a while longer .

Latest Posts

Back