2018 FIFA World Cup Finals

• Thread starter Famine
  • 2,047 comments
Indeed Golovin stands out once i apply a >= 70 minutes filter on a Minutes/Match created column.
I attach the Excel file i made with all those data (not only distance, every other stats available), following your yesterday post.
It's an Excel file with the 70 minutes filter currently activated on the J (Minutes/Match, in blue) column and a sorting on the K column.

Attachments

• fifaStats_Ver02.xlsx
    212.7 KB · Views: 9
So I just picked this up today, the English and Swedish FA have been fined £50,000 for wearing "unauthorised socks", the Croatian FA also picked up a similar fine for advertising an alcoholic beverage that wasn't Budweiser.

To put it into context, earlier in the tournament Russia and Mexico were slapped with a £7,500 penalty each for neo-nazi behaviour and homophobic chants respectively. Good to see FIFA's priorities haven't changed.

Is it suspect because he's Russian or is there another reason?

According to them stats he's ran over the length of the pitch every single minute he's been on there, that's just not possible, especially when you factor in all the times play is stopped.

I'd go with the stats being bogus though rather than his performance but since he's Russian you've got to appreciate why people may be just a bit suspicious here.

Inter Milan and Bayern Munich have each had a player in every World Cup final since 1982:

Inter Milan
1982: Beppe Bergomi, Gabriele Oriali, Alessandro Altobelli (Italy)

1986: Karl-Heinz Rummenigge (West Germany)

1990: Andrea Brehme, Jurgen Klinsmann, Lothar Matthaus (West Germany)

1994: Nicola Berti (Italy)

1998: Youri Djorkaeff (France), Ronaldo (Brazil)

2002: Ronaldo (Brazil)

2006: Marco Materazzi (Italy)

2010: Wesley Sneijder (Netherlands)

2014: Rodrigo Palacio (Argentina)

2018: Marcelo Brozovic, Ivan Perisic (Croatia)

Bayern Munich
1982: Karl-Heinz Rummenigge, Paul Breitner, Wolfgang Dremmler (West Germany)

1986: Lothar Matthaus, Dieter Hoeness, Norbert Eder (West Germany)

1990: Klaus Augenthaler, Jurgen Kohler, Stefan Reuter, Lothar Matthaus (West Germany)

1994: Jorginho (Brazil)

1998: Bixente Lizarazu (France)

2002: Oliver Kahn, Carsten Jancker, Thomas Linke, Jens Jeremies (Germany)

2006: Willy Sagnol (France)

2010: Arjen Robben, Mark van Bommel (Netherlands)

2014: Manuel Neuer, Philipp Lahm, Jerome Boateng, Bastian Schweinsteiger, Toni Kroos, Thomas Muller, Mario Gotze (Germany)

2018: Corentin Tolisso (France)

130 m/min is 7.2 km/h. That's a very fast walking speed.

Yes but in a football match, where the ball is truly only in play for about 60 minutes each match, I just not sure how it's possible in that sense, not that it isn't physically possible, for fit people anyway.

How are these stats even recorded too, can accuracy be assured, I've never really looked into it before?

I've never really bothered about these sort of stats before, on the grounds of thinking that anyone covering a ton of ground is likely just wasting energy running more than they really have to, to have a good impact on the match anyway. That and your eyes can tell you who's impacting a match through their work rate and who is just standing around being lazy.

Indeed Golovin stands out once i apply a >= 70 minutes filter on a Minutes/Match created column.
I attach the Excel file i made with all those data (not only distance, every other stats available), following your yesterday post.
It's an Excel file with the 70 minutes filter currently activated on the J (Minutes/Match, in blue) column and a sorting on the K column.

Great stuff! 👍 Very useful being able to switch filters in and out...

I'd take any interpretation of the figures with a massive pinch of salt, but sorting via the meters/minute column does make for an interesting read. I set the minutes/match to >= 35 (as you tend to get more outliers below that), and 4 of the top 10 players are Russian. Serbia also have 4 in the top 20.

Stats are only as good as the interpretation of those stats....

Sir Clive Woodward once did a fascinating speech that I was at, mainly focusing on his use of data and technology whilst England Manager. He spoke about the data gathering cameras put up at Twickenham ahead of the 2003 World Cup which you see almost everywhere now and were probably even used to gather all those FIFA player stats as well. I can't remember what player it was, but he said that in the first game using this system, one of his players was being really bizarre. When a player was down injured, he was running sprints along one of the lines. It wasn't until later when he was reviewing the data that he realised the player was boosting his stats to maintain his position in the squad! :lol:

Yes but in a football match, where the ball is truly only in play for about 60 minutes each match, I just not sure how it's possible in that sense
I can tell by this statement that you don't know what you're talking about. Golovin's distance covered stats are not suspiciously high.

But sure, it's suspect because Russia.

Personally I don't suspect him or anyone else of anything, just thought the stats (for everyone) seem a bit off just by gut instinct more than anything. Although admittedly I've never really looked into them before and had they not been posted in this thread probably wouldn't have, especially with regards to distance covered and all related stats, as even if they are accurate, in isolation they are not that relevant anyway. I'd also rather watch the matches than obsess over stats but other's like their stats and like to compare them and of course that's their choice.

With regards to Russia, their past doping will always make any athlete, or player in this instance, of theirs who produce great results (or in this case stats) stand out and they'll be question marks about it, that's what past systematic cheating causes I'm afraid.

I can tell by this statement that you don't know what you're talking about. Golovin's distance covered stats are not suspiciously high.
Golovin's stats are not that far out compared to a handful of others, but what does stand out is that Russian players dominate the top of the 'stamina' list when one applies some sensible filters. For example, if you look at the meters/minute ratio for all players who played more than 90 minutes in total, Russia occupy 4 of the top ten spots. No other country has more than one player in the top 10. That strikes me as a bit odd.

So we have talked about the TV ratings for the England games in UK on this thread, And the peak viewership for last night game was...…26.5 million, And again that doesn't count the people watching in pubs, bars, fan parks etc, That's insane!

How are these stats even recorded too, can accuracy be assured, I've never really looked into it before?
I know cricketers have GPS systems on their backs, they wear a sports bra type of thing. They must have something similar or more advanced I reckon.

FIFA has lodged a formal complaint to the FA about there supposedly being discriminatory chants made by England fans during the last game.

It's already bad enough being out, now we have the potential to be embarrassed on exit by probably by a handful of numptys in the grandstands.

England could get some sort of disciplinary action taken or fined if found guilty.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...te-fifa-semi-finals-video-watch-a8444721.html

Last edited:
The 2022 World Cup in Qatar will take place between the 22nd November and 18th December, Infantino confirmed earlier.

The 2022 World Cup in Qatar will take place between the 22nd November and 18th December, Infantino confirmed earlier.

I wonder what that is going to do to the various league schedules? Has any other World Cup occurred at that time of year?

Hey, psst. There's a game going on right now, guys.

I know it's pointless, but it's being quite entertaining.

Games like this one are the reason why so many people think the 3rd/4th match shouldn't exist. More often than not they look like a training session.

At least Belgium are trying something and running.

If the performance of both teams was judged based on this game, they'd both get a 5.

The want to win is hardly noticeable, which is completely understandable, but playing as if you have 2 left feet is just poor.

Missed the game as I was at work, Match Of The Day is on tonight so ill watch it then.

A fourth place finish is beyond everyone's expectations. Southgate, his staff and the players have been fantastic, future looks bright for England now. 👍

Back