2018 Mazda 6 facelift brings 2.5L Turbo from CX-9

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 33 comments

CodeRedR51

Premium
United States
United States
And a refresh all around, including the interior.

http://www.carscoops.com/2017/11/2018-mazda6-heading-to-la-auto-show.html

Mazda has also added the turbocharged Skyactiv-G 2.5T petrol unit that debuted in the CX-9. The performance figures of the new engine option, which makes up to 250hp and 310lb-ft of torque in the SUV model, are not yet announced but Mazda claims it offers “an effortless performance feel that is equal parts composure and excitement”.

2018-Mazda6-00.jpg

2018-Mazda6-02.jpg

OH YES. This is very very tempting. Please give it a manual, please.

Edit: Didn't Mazda update the interior for the 2017 6? Seems like a lot of effort for a car to be replaced a few months later. I think they did the same thing with the 2016 CX-5.

Edit2: This also makes me think that the Coupe concept wasn't meant to preview the next gen Mazda6. Maybe there is another model waiting in the wings...

Edit2: This also makes me think that the Coupe concept wasn't meant to preview the next gen Mazda6. Maybe there is another model waiting in the wings...
This is just a facelift. Whole new car is like 2020 or 2021. Someone in the comments of that article seems to think the Coupe Concept is a preview for a RWD based car to replace this one around that time.

This is just a facelift. Whole new car is like 2020 or 2021. Someone in the comments of that article seems to think the Coupe Concept is a preview for a RWD based car to replace this one around that time.

Ah, I didn't comprehend that very well. I like the changes to the interior. The 5-1 sweep tachometer is pretty damn cool.

A few years ago there was a question on Top Gear whether there was a manufacturer that produced only good looking cars.

I think it's fair to say that at this point in time it is Mazda. I think their line-up is nothing but good looking cars, and they are a joy to drive as well.

Oh look, a new Turbo engine option that we probably won't get in the middle eastern market because hot weather. Still, looking forward for the new Facelifted version.

Next step is to turbo the 3. They'd sell so many of both of these.

Looking forward to this one.
Well, since I don't work at Mazda any longer, my source for info was the owner of a dealership. He had visited Japan for an update in products. Was told there would be an MPS MX-5, 3 & 6 coming from last year.

The engine specifics weren't detailed at the time. I don't know if Mazda Australia are speaking up because nothing has happened yet. Also, Hyundai & Kia haven't got the memo about slow selling midsize cars. They're coming with V6turbos to battle the German brands.

If the 6 is to stay afloat, they'll need that more powerful performance nonperformance engine.

A few years ago there was a question on Top Gear whether there was a manufacturer that produced only good looking cars.

I think it's fair to say that at this point in time it is Mazda. I think their line-up is nothing but good looking cars, and they are a joy to drive as well.

Yup, Mazda is killing it right now.

(Audi, Porsche, Aston Martin, Ferrari, McLaren, and Lexus, just kidding not Lexus, come to mind for making nothing but good looking cars)

Damn! I'd probably sacrifice the turbo for the manual.

Love the steering wheel. Hides the buttons in plain sight. I'd just want an wheel like that, without buttons. I think Porsche had the perfect wheel in the GT3. Alcantara with zero doodads.

That's what you call a classic interior. It will look fresh and well put together forever.

Also coming with AWD?

Mazda hasn't announced plans for an all-wheel drive variant but Motor Trend noticed the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration lists an all-wheel drive model when users search for the safety rating of the 2018 Mazda6. While this could simply be a mistake on the NHTSA's part, it's interesting to note Mazda refused to comment on the issue when the publication inquired about the listing.

I get an Infity / Lexus vibe from this. Looks very premium, and their prices are so darn competitive. Loving this stuff from Mazda!

Mazda wanting to push the brand more upmarket makes a whole lot of sense ultimately. The premium crowd still has a lot of sedan buyers, even if Mazda and the car sector as a whole have been benefitting from crossover sales.

I am looking forward to seeing a RWD Mazda replacement, and it would be too much to ask, but I'd love to see Mazda develop a straight 6 on their four cylinder architecture a la Mercedes.

Haven't seen much media on the 'new' 6 yet, but the straight pipes (youtubers) did a decent (very focused on tech/interior/practicality) review:

I have to say, that interior is quite handsome. I don't think I've ever seen a single generation of a car get so many updates as this 6, especially regarding the interior. The 2012-2015 had one interior layout, the 2016 & 2017 had a new layout, and the 2018 has a new layout again. Each one has been markedly better. (Me speculating: the 2018 refresh was to counter the serious competition brought from Honda in regards to interior....look closely and a lot of the detailing is quite similar, if not as cohesive in the Honda). Some of the details of the 2018 interior are pretty awesome considering the segment the 6 is in specifically those door handles, HVAC controls, gauge cluster, and side vents. It just generally has a sophisticated & refined atmosphere to it.

That said, the infotainment system looks very dated and the GUI looks out of place in such a contemporary interior. Mazda really needs to update the look. I'm also a little bored of the exterior of the 6 and was really hoping the 2018 was going to be a more significant exterior face-lift, especially in light of the Vision & Coupe concepts. Here's hoping the new 3 will bring some of those styling moves into production.

I picked up a 2020 Mazda6 GT yesterday to replace my 2017 Mazda6 lease. Black on black with the 2.5L turbo. I'll try to get some pictures today but it has been cloudy and rainy for the last few days.

Good car. The 6 is getting pretty long in the teeth. The refresh upgrades were pretty substantial (lovely interior) but I'm starting to wonder what Mazda is planning next. The new 3 has been, being fair, something of a disaster. Sales are way, way down compared to the previous gen...makes me wonder if they are re-thinking their premium-esque approach.

With the inline 6 and rwd architecture coming...are they going full-on 5 series chasing with the next 6? I have a hard time seeing how Mazda can afford to develop a new mid-size sedan when sales in that segment have fallen off a cliff.

Yeah, it's a bit scary if it does start moving up the price scale. It'll be dang near a niche vehicle. It's have to be something real special. Almost M-Power special. Maybe not M matching performance, but something with custom options.

It's a shame they aren't selling well because it is a great car. Way better than my 2017 6, from the ride quality, sound insulation, and material quality. The car isn't fast, it's just not as slow as the N/A 2.5.

I wish I could have waited for the next generation but I can't complain about the deal I got. I got this Mazda6 GT for less than some of the Mazda3 hatches on the lot.

Back