2018 NFL Season

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 561 comments
Brady still played like garbage though. He owes this one to his defense for sure.

But I think we all can agree that this loss falls on three people: Jared Goff, Dee Ford, and the ref that blew the PI call in New Orleans.

Also just realized that the Rams' record of 13-3 is exactly what the score was.... Conspiracy theories inbound.

Well that, was ****ing dreadful.

All the promise of this season destroyed in the last three games. Forgive me if I don't really bother with the NFL next year.

The only thing worse then staying up 'til 3am to watch that **** was to be woken at 5.55am by next door's supermarket delivery. :ouch:

I was too tired to stay up to watch it live and so I recorded it - quite glad I didn't stay up for it :lol:

Despite being in control for the whole game, it was quite staggering that the Patriots could only muster 3 points in the first three quarters and that the Rams (somehow) went into the final quarter level. Goff had an absolute shocker - he looked like a rabbit in the headlights, and yet the Patriots didn't manage to do much better... until it really counted anyway. Edelman was great and the Patriots deserve to join the Steelers in that elite club of 6 Super Bowl wins.

I think I could die happy if I didn't have to see or hear about Brady, Belichick and Kraft getting another Super Bowl ring. The media need to stop giving these guys motivation and calling them underdogs. Every September, the team loses a game or two and all you hear is it's the end of an era or the Pats are finished. No, keep the pressure on these guys. The message should be, "If the Patriots don't go undefeated and win the Super Bowl then they should drop Brady and fire Belichick." When you look back on the competition they have faced, especially in the AFC East, you have to wonder how they didn't manage to make every Super Bowl.

It is starting to catch up with them, however. This season, the Pats lost both games to former coaches against Detroit and Tennessee. Today, the defensive coordinator will be announced as the next Dolphins coach so that is two more games next season against a former Pat coach. The war machine will keep churning but the writing is on the wall. At some point, the Empire will fall and the walls will come crumbling down. The higher they are before then, the greater the fall will be.

Last night, Brady was so terrible in the first half that Belichick wouldn't even acknowledge him coming on or off the field and his OC had to keep rubbing baby oil on his backside to keep him from crying. It should have been 24-0 at half time but the Pats offense couldn't quite figure out the Rams D.

I just realized that LA lost both the World Series and the Super Bowl to the Bawstonn teams. Ouch.

That was brutal. Neither team played all that well on offense, the officiating was god-awful with several blown calls for both teams, I got tired of saying Brady was the GOAT every 15 seconds (I hate him, but he is the GOAT and everyone knows that), and the lack of big plays was just meh.

Also, the commercials were boring and the halftime show was probably the worst one in a long time. I mean, who the hell gave Travis Scott a mic, dude can't rap. Maroon 5 isn't much better and Adam Levine really needs to keep his shirt on. Oh and don't tease Sweet Victory then neglect to play it.

I hate him, but he is the GOAT and everyone knows that

Not sure I do... I think his success comes from being great and playing for a great coach. Football is a team sport, and the Patriots have been a great team for a long time, that comes down to coaching.

I will say that this was a spectacular end to a great season... wait.. no.. What I meant to say was that it was a boring game that I didn't have the patience to watch much of (and I'm a football fan), and a meaningless victory for the patriots whose legacy hasn't changed even a little as a result. So pretty much dull television.

The Pats are bad for the NFL, no question.

It was certainly a good choice to record it instead of watching it live...

Instead of ads, we get a panel of ex-NFL players analysing the last stretch of play and answering questions from Twitter - it sounds horrendous, but it is actually very interesting and useful for people who are not experts on NFL strategy and rules. Also, the BBC's selection of expert panelists is entertaining and worth watching... better than ads at any rate.

The biggest advantage of recording it was the ability to skip the pre-match build-up and the half-time show!

LA Rams owner Stan Kroenke also owns Arsenal Football Club of the English Premier League. After Arsenal's 3-1 defeat Sunday to Manchester City, Arsenal FanTV the Youtube channel where they interview fans outside the stadium for post match reaction, was full of angry fans hoping he would lose the Super Bowl. I guess they got their wish.

I think I could die happy if I didn't have to see or hear about Brady, Belichick and Kraft getting another Super Bowl ring. The media need to stop giving these guys motivation and calling them underdogs. Every September, the team loses a game or two and all you hear is it's the end of an era or the Pats are finished. No, keep the pressure on these guys. The message should be, "If the Patriots don't go undefeated and win the Super Bowl then they should drop Brady and fire Belichick." When you look back on the competition they have faced, especially in the AFC East, you have to wonder how they didn't manage to make every Super Bowl.

It is starting to catch up with them, however. This season, the Pats lost both games to former coaches against Detroit and Tennessee. Today, the defensive coordinator will be announced as the next Dolphins coach so that is two more games next season against a former Pat coach. The war machine will keep churning but the writing is on the wall. At some point, the Empire will fall and the walls will come crumbling down. The higher they are before then, the greater the fall will be.

Last night, Brady was so terrible in the first half that Belichick wouldn't even acknowledge him coming on or off the field and his OC had to keep rubbing baby oil on his backside to keep him from crying. It should have been 24-0 at half time but the Pats offense couldn't quite figure out the Rams D.

I just realized that LA lost both the World Series and the Super Bowl to the Bawstonn teams. Ouch.

It really makes you wonder...is everybody in the NFL really really incompetent? For this one guy to make a joke of the NFL, in the playoffs year after year no problem?

And Tom is just blessed. Vinatieri always making kicks for him when he needed it. Dee Ford being called offside on a pick. The tuck rule, which probably wasn't even in his mind when the ball was getting stripped. Pete Carroll's play calling. Facing the young Rams instead of the experienced Saints, you could probably go on and on...

I mean he's been unlucky at times, especially against Eli, but you look at his whole career and it's like, has there been anybody in the history of the NFL that was luckier than this guy?

Not sure I do... I think his success comes from being great and playing for a great coach. Football is a team sport, and the Patriots have been a great team for a long time, that comes down to coaching.

The Pats are bad for the NFL, no question.

I feel the same exact way. Just remember, Tom's best seasons ended without a SB.

But, the one thing Tom has going for him is that Falcons come back. You can say what you want about how good the Pats defense was, and how bad the Falcons offense and defense was. But, at the end of the day, when Tom had to get it done, he got it done.

Brady anywhere else only wins 1, maybe 2 Super Bowls. Same with Emperor Belichick.

And they 100% should not have beaten Seattle a few years ago. That was just awful.

I'm from New England (the great state of Maine).

I watched, with tremendous disappointment, the Patriots lose to the Packers in 1997 during Superbowl XXI at all of 7.5 years old.

I remember this kid named Tom Brady filling in for my favorite quarterback Drew Bledsoe after he got injured in 2002 and then being shocked and tremendously happy at them winning the superbowl that year. I watched joyously as the Patriots became one of the all time greatest dynasties of any sport. I've continued to be a Patriots fan after moving first to Texas, and then to Michigan, and now to California.

But I'm tired of seeing Tom Brady and BB. Please, please retire. Really wanted to see somebody else win this year. Mostly the Saints.

But, the one thing Tom has going for him is that Falcons come back. You can say what you want about how good the Pats defense was, and how bad the Falcons offense and defense was. But, at the end of the day, when Tom had to get it done, he got it done.

Yea but this:

Brady anywhere else only wins 1, maybe 2 Super Bowls. Same with Emperor Belichick.

Tom is a great NFL quarterback. No question. He belongs in the list of the greatest QBs ever to play the game. The question is whether he's better than anyone else who has ever played the position. The Greatest in history. Greater than Joe Montana, Steve Young, Peyton Manning, Bradshaw, Marino, etc.

Some may content that Montana had his Belichick in Walsh. I don't think anyone's going to contend that Peyton Manning had a BB equivalent though. In fact, I'm not sure there is a BB equivalent.

This is the problem with Brady and Belichick. It was kinda the problem with Montana and Rice. You have two absolute greats at their position working together to destroy everyone else. I think you'd be hard pressed to claim that Belichick (much as we all may dislike him) is not the greatest NFL coach ever. He is the GOAT of coaches. It's not just that the team wins year after year, it's how they win. When you watch, those guys are drilled so well. Look away from the ball, find the guy farthest out of the play, and that guy is hustling for the Pats. That's pretty much never the case on any other NFL team. You'll find guys standing up, milling around, watching the play. On the Pats, it's hustle, always. Downfield blocking is the reason that so many of their players seems to get an extra 5 yards when everyone else would have settled for less. It's the whole team.

When you isolate brady's QB play, it's harder to say that he's the best QB ever. The best at reading defenses? I dunno. He's got the greatest coach helping him. The best at accurate throws? Hard to say again, there have been some wildly accurate passers. Longest lived? Possibly. Favre lasted a very long time, I think he played 2 seasons beyond his actual death, if I recall correctly - which is pretty impressive.

Tom is great, no question. But it's very difficult to claim greatest when you also have another greatest ever on the same team mucking up the waters. He needs to pull a Manning and go win a SB with another team (Manning being the only QB to ever do that). That would help you find out how much is Tom and how much is BB.

I think really that we'll just never know.

Edit:

And they'll never be just one more ring away from settling that question. They could go on to win 10 superbowls together, and almost no matter how it happens, I could still write this post in the same way. They're tied together forever.

Maybe the only way to settle it is if Tom retires and BB suddenly can't field a decent Pats team.

Last edited:
Brady's greatest quality is that he has competed and executed at the highest level for so long. Does he have the best arm, vision, elusiveness or physical skill? I don't think so. I think there are better QBs from a physical and mental perspective that played this season. But it's his ability to have done it for so long and to have been lucky enough to reach the Super Bowl so many times that makes him great. He's a compiler, from a Hall of Fame perspective, but a compiler with 6 championship rings. He is the ultimate competitor. There have been Super Bowls where he put his team on his back and drove them to a victory (v. Atlanta) and then games like this year where he was average and frustrated for 3 and a half quarters.

He has just about every Super Bowl record because he has been there the most; the most games, the most wins, the most attempts, most yards, etc. But passer rating in the Super Bowl? He's not even top 10. Now you look at another potential GOAT; Joe Montana. He was 4-0 in the Super Bowl. He has 9 TDs and no interceptions in the big game. He leads all QBs in Super Bowl career passer rating with a 127.8. Some would say that is more impressive than making it to the title game 9 out of 17 seasons and winning 6 while riding Bill's defense.

Although you also have to ask yourself the real question. Would the QB given the title Greatest of All Time have lost two Super Bowls to Eli Manning? The same Eli Manning whose Super Bowl career passer rating of 96.2 is just as good as Tuberculosis12's 95.6?

Brady's greatest quality is that he has competed and executed at the highest level for so long. Does he have the best arm, vision, elusiveness or physical skill? I don't think so. I think there are better QBs from a physical and mental perspective that played this season. But it's his ability to have done it for so long and to have been lucky enough to reach the Super Bowl so many times that makes him great. He's a compiler, from a Hall of Fame perspective, but a compiler with 6 championship rings. He is the ultimate competitor. There have been Super Bowls where he put his team on his back and drove them to a victory (v. Atlanta) and then games like this year where he was average and frustrated for 3 and a half quarters.

He has just about every Super Bowl record because he has been there the most; the most games, the most wins, the most attempts, most yards, etc. But passer rating in the Super Bowl? He's not even top 10. Now you look at another potential GOAT; Joe Montana. He was 4-0 in the Super Bowl. He has 9 TDs and no interceptions in the big game. He leads all QBs in Super Bowl career passer rating with a 127.8. Some would say that is more impressive than making it to the title game 9 out of 17 seasons and winning 6 while riding Bill's defense.

Although you also have to ask yourself the real question. Would the QB given the title Greatest of All Time have lost two Super Bowls to Eli Manning? The same Eli Manning whose Super Bowl career passer rating of 96.2 is just as good as Tuberculosis12's 95.6?

If I was a Pats fan I would just call you a hater and say that you can't argue with 6 rings. And passer rating doesn't equal rings, etc, etc....

Which is why I don't think I could talk to a Pats fan about football. Their heads are so far up TB and BB's ass. And generally speaking, their grasp of the NFL is so horrible, because their frame of reference is the absolute gold standard.

About as bad as arguing with a Yanks fan and them saying 27 rings.

Back