2019 Hyundai Veloster: USA N Pricing Released

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 79 comments
That's a solid price. 👍

I should have something worth posting in here tomorrow...

Hmmm, first drive?

IMG_9437.JPG

That comes tomorrow (well, the driving, anyway)!

If anybody has any questions they want answered about the new Veloster, post 'em! I landed not too long ago and I'll do my best to answer!

A comparison to the Elantra Sport would be great as far as driving dynamics, but that would depend on if you've driven the Elantra.

A comparison to the Elantra Sport would be great as far as driving dynamics, but that would depend on if you've driven the Elantra.

I have not, unfortunately. But I'll see what I can do. 👍

@SlipZtrEm

Are you on Manual, Auto or DCT? If the latter, does it have any quirkiness with dealing with gear shifts? My dad has a '15 Sonata that makes a audible hum/rumble when it's at low revs on 3rd. It's as if it can't decide if it wants to be in 2nd or 3rd.

What is the rear-window visibility really like? I was turned off by it in the last gen, but as of right now, I haven't yet decided if I can justify living with the smaller window for its lower price compared to the Elantra Sport.

Is the base model the one with the lesser appealing front grill? Dumb question I know. You're driving the Turbo model?

In fact, speaking strictly of cost (base, insurance and fuel efficiency), this car appeals to me more than the Elantra, but I still can't get over how good the tail of the Elantra Sport looks.

In fact, speaking strictly of cost (base, insurance and fuel efficiency), this car appeals to me more than the Elantra, but I still can't get over how good the tail of the Elantra Sport looks.
I have Progressive for insurance and they basically classify my Sport as a regular Elantra. I pay $108/mo full coverage with glass.

PFA :D

26240051.jpg

@SlipZtrEm

Are you on Manual, Auto or DCT? If the latter, does it have any quirkiness with dealing with gear shifts? My dad has a '15 Sonata that makes a audible hum/rumble when it's at low revs on 3rd. It's as if it can't decide if it wants to be in 2nd or 3rd.

What is the rear-window visibility really like? I was turned off by it in the last gen, but as of right now, I haven't yet decided if I can justify living with the smaller window for its lower price compared to the Elantra Sport.

Is the base model the one with the lesser appealing front grill? Dumb question I know. You're driving the Turbo model?

I only got to drive it for a day for the GTPlanet review. I'd recommend reading that for more detailed breakdowns of the experience, but I'll do what I can to answer your specific questions. 👍

I drove the Manual and DCT, both with the turbo engine. There was one 2.0-litre hiding around the area, but most of us didn't get to experience it. The manual was fantastic. The DCT was smooth, other than one instance of a really jerky 1-2 shift. We couldn't repeat it no matter what we tried. In manual mode it's hesitant to drop to second from third, but that could also be from how closely-stacked the ratios are, plus the low-ish redline.

The rear-window visibility is fine IMO, especially if you've adjusted your side mirrors properly, and there is a standard rear-parking camera. The main issue is the thick pillars: a car can hide in 'em on the highway.

Yes, the Turbo looks better. :P

For what it's worth, this isn't actually cheaper than the Elantra Sport — at least not once you equip the Turbo engine. I haven't sat down with the Canadian configurator to see how spec plays out, though. Also, at least for me, I find the hatch more interesting to look at, and it's more usable too. Still haven't been able to drive them back-to-back to compare though!

For what it's worth, this isn't actually cheaper than the Elantra Sport — at least not once you equip the Turbo engine. I haven't sat down with the Canadian configurator to see how spec plays out, though. Also, at least for me, I find the hatch more interesting to look at, and it's more usable too.
I think the VT has more standard equipment, and it also has the torque vectoring so the price reflects that. It will come down to how much the buyer cares about that stuff and what discounts Hyundai will offer right away on them. I know for certain right now that if you do your homework and have some negotiating skills, an Elantra Sport can be had for well under $20k depending on options. There is $2,500 bonus cash offered at the moment on the Elantra. You can also sign up for Uber (don't have to actually use it) to get another $1k off.

Looks nice in dark. My brother had one for awhile and while he wanted orange they only had green available. It wasnt the turbo but still nippy when you wanted. Rear view isn't the best but in combination with your side views your brain gets enough info to fill in the rest. Side windows remind me of a GT-R with their sharp angle

Reviews are starting to come out. Rumor is the price will be around $28k for the base, $30k (USD) for the performance pack. Which is great.

Just add another door. It would still look cool. Don't know how much extra tooling or structure required, but a fourth door on the side, should be there.

Just add another door. It would still look cool. Don't know how much extra tooling or structure required, but a fourth door on the side, should be there.
The 3-door concept is this car's "thing" to be unique. I highly doubt they will ever change it.

Wow, that is a nice surprise. This Veloster N looks much better than the previous Veloster.

But this or the i30N High-Performance? Which is better, which looks nicer?

I almost 100% sure I would go for the i30N High-Performance.

Wow, that is a nice surprise. This Veloster N looks much better than the previous Veloster.

But this or the i30N High-Performance? Which is better, which looks nicer?

I almost 100% sure I would go for the i30N High-Performance.
For us in the States, this is our only option.

Edit - Canadian pricing: (Canada only gets the Performance Pack version)

43508904_10216904782429996_4096683705509085184_n.jpg

Reviewers are saying that Hyundai told them the price in the US will be around $28k with destination for the base version, add $2k for the performance pack.

Last edited:
Word in the UK is that something like 95% of buyers go for the Performance Pack version, for a £3k premium over the regular one. Will be interesting to see what the takeup is over there with the Veloster. I've driven both versions of the i30 and honestly you don't lose much by not spending the extra, but you do lose just enough (most importantly the active exhaust) to make the price difference worth it...

Word in the UK is that something like 95% of buyers go for the Performance Pack version, for a £3k premium over the regular one. Will be interesting to see what the takeup is over there with the Veloster. I've driven both versions of the i30 and honestly you don't lose much by not spending the extra, but you do lose just enough (most importantly the active exhaust) to make the price difference worth it...
Bigger brakes and LSD are worth the $2k alone.

21bc4e7302b5f0f578da9c2327976d78051c46b5444d722112bad6195fd17f0a.jpg

Genuinely interested now, I'll have to book a test drive ASAP. That's really great pricing, providing the dealers will actually sell near MSRP. At 35k it's only 2-3k more than the Civic Si, Focus ST and Golf GTi, and a good 8k below both the Type-R and Golf R. I won't even talk about the Focus RS because it's just ridiculous (58k MSRP!) but if Hyundai is indeed keeping it's pricing agressive, they'll sell them like hotcakes.

Bigger brakes and LSD are worth the $2k alone.
In monetary terms absolutely, but on the road I found I didn't really notice the difference. The standard brakes are hardly lacking and the LSD only seems to make a significant difference if you're hoofing it out of really tight corners. It'd probably be more noticeable on a track.

That's why the exhaust is the bigger difference for me - it's something you can enjoy all the time and really adds to the character and fun factor.

I would hope those opting for the performance pack would plan on tracking the car at some point.
It's not so much a thing in the UK. Hot hatches are bought in huge numbers here by people who just like the look, sound and sharper feel, and sometimes even just the image. They're not bought by hardcore enthusiasts to quite the extent they are in the US (where you get a much smaller choice and where even regular basic hatchbacks are seen as relatively sporty), so while people do still take them on track, plenty of people here would go for the Performance Pack for no other reason than the noisy exhaust and 20 extra horsepower you don't really notice.

No Veloster on the European Hyundai website and not i30N on the Canadian Hyundai website.

Veloster isn't developed for Right hand drive. Hyundai Australia wants to get it, no doubt. So, we'll see what happens. On the other side of possibilities, the N fastback is coming and there was talk of the N-type version of the Kona.

For us in the States, this is our only option.

Edit - Canadian pricing: (Canada only gets the Performance Pack version)

43508904_10216904782429996_4096683705509085184_n.jpg

Reviewers are saying that Hyundai told them the price in the US will be around $28k with destination for the base version, add $2k for the performance pack.
If only it was as pretty as the Elantra Sport! But this is the one I want. Ford better bring that ST or they're going to miss a big opportunity here.

Latest Posts

Back