2019 IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar ChampionshipSports Cars 

• Thread starter Northstar
  • 1,414 comments
And from another article about the roar.

"The GTLM field will feature nine cars, among them the aforementioned No. 66 machine for the defending race champions as part of a two-car Ford Chip Ganassi Racing program. Defending GTLM series champions Jan Magnussen and Antonio Garcia also will be in the field in the No. 3 Corvette Racing Chevrolet Corvette C7.R alongside their endurance racing co-driver, Mike Rockenfeller, as part of a two-car entry from the team."

Read more: https://autoweek.com/article/imsa/imsa-reveals-roar-24-entry-list#ixzz5YzyYWQIq

I thought something was weird about that article and how the Prototype teams are shown as running Continental rubber, and then I noticed that's last year's entry list. :P

Anyone heard anything new about this rumor from August regarding Aston running in GTLM this year?

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/aston-martin-closing-in-on-gtlm-program-decision/

If they have the attitude they've had for years on BoP then I rather they not show up. Especially midway through a season where BoP is well and sorted most times and they expect with their unknown car to the series to slot in nicely. Only to complain post race cause they were "off the pace".

Last edited:
Based off of reporting from both SC365 and Racer, it seems like Joest isn't playing around for 2019. They are really going all in with some of the people they've added to the program both on and off track.

Based off of reporting from both SC365 and Racer, it seems like Joest isn't playing around for 2019. They are really going all in with some of the people they've added to the program both on and off track.

Like who? They clearly weren't holding any punches this past year I think the bigger issues was the AER engine at times and still working out bugs that were never solved under Speed Source and what little Mazda America did do.

Just realised that we should expect to see lap records shattered this year now that the DPi’s are running with a competent tire manufacturer... should be really interesting to see just how much faster they get.

Also, will the P class run Dunlop’s like they do in Europe or will they also get Michelins

Just realised that we should expect to see lap records shattered this year now that the DPi’s are running with a competent tire manufacturer... should be really interesting to see just how much faster they get.

Also, will the P class run Dunlop’s like they do in Europe or will they also get Michelins

Also the DPis should get a performance boost to separate themselves from LMP2. They could be 2-3 seconds a lap faster this year. Would love to see DPi become LMP1-lite

I'm sure it's old news, but Townsend Bell is going over to Lexus. Happy to see Auberlen back, though I hope Turner recovers some of their form - they used to be a genuine contender in anything they partook in (let's ignore the M6 era though...). Would be happy to see the blue and yellow return to the fore (admittedly the Liqui Moly livery ain't half bad).

I'm sure it's old news, but Townsend Bell is going over to Lexus. Happy to see Auberlen back, though I hope Turner recovers some of their form - they used to be a genuine contender in anything they partook in (let's ignore the M6 era though...). Would be happy to see the blue and yellow return to the fore (admittedly the Liqui Moly livery ain't half bad).

I've been putting their lack of performance down to the fact their programs have been coming together so late in the offseason if not shortly after it starts. Hopefully since they have already figured out a full season program for 2019 they can focus on putting together a good effort.

Edit: Another full-season Lambo has been confirmed.

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/ppm-steps-up-to-full-season-lamborghini-gtd-effort/

Interesting to see some of the cars get a proper BOP adjustment...looks like both the M8 and the Mazda DPI are getting some decent help.

Interesting to see some of the cars get a proper BOP adjustment...looks like both the M8 and the Mazda DPI are getting some decent help.

I question how much the M8 needs, considering last year was in reality a dev year, but with all that info on their side that help given is questionable. The Mazda on the other hand probably does actually need it somewhat.

Yeah, Nielsen not having a ride is tough - but that call came pretty late. From what Pruett was saying she's also in a bind because she showed up as a drive who brought sponsorship money, then turned out to be really talented - but teams may still be expecting her to bring cash, etc.

While I generally like driving rankings, etc. I think you're starting to see some cracks in the system if the GTD champ from last year did so well...he can't race this year, and you have champs like Nielsen struggling to find rides, etc.

PS: As much as an "all female" car seems a little too PR driven, I think Nielsen/Legge would be a great car (if their rankings allow it). How long do you stay Gold if you win a championship? I don't know what Nielsen is at the moment.

@TheElbows I will say that even as a talented Silver, you will likely still be providing cash to the team. That's just what a "gentleman" driver should be doing, if they really are one. As a note: Nielsen is still a Silver rated driver.

I don't really have a problem with the driver rankings. While yes, it's a shame that Madison Snow won't be competing - I do think that both he and Legge were not Silvers to begin with. Snow brings money yes, but he's not really a "gentleman" driver if racing is his priority and he's being supported by wealthy parents who let him "work" part time at best. Nielsen I also think shouldn't be rated as a Silver, but is (likely because she does not quite have the speed of the true Pros). If these driver ratings are what it takes to make true Amateurs want to compete (and fund teams) in GTD, then I'm for them.

And yes, it is a bit PR driven RE: the all-woman lineup. But, I also don't really mind all that much, it's a minor thing. A Legge/Nielsen pairing would be possible with their ratings (and be a good pairing), but Heinricher is providing the money for the car, so it won't happen.

Last edited:
My main concern with the Legge car was that it was very competitive last year and the year before - I don't know who Heinricher is, but if she isn't as quick as Parente, I feel it's a backward move for Legge.

My main concern with the Legge car was that it was very competitive last year and the year before - I don't know who Heinricher is, but if she isn't as quick as Parente, I feel it's a backward move for Legge.

You may be right because Katherine usually started the race and Parente finished it. But I also think Katherine qualified and had at least one pole position if I remember correctly so she can definitely hold her own. I just don't know how good she is at closing a deficit if Heinricher looses too much ground. Hopefully it will work out.

Yeah, Legge/Parente worked, so I just hope we're not going backwards. Nielsen is pretty damn quick so they should do good together at the 24.

I think that in general, the GTD field is trying to weed out the sneaky silvers, so Legge was definitely one of those. She was quick, very quick. In fact, looking at lap averages in the endurance events, her average lap was usually faster than Parente's. I have been very impressed by her performance over the last few years.

While teaming with Heinricher may be a step back (although she is mostly an unknown quantity to me as well), it's sort of necessary to keep the team funded. And with cautions and such (especially in the shorter races), Legge may be able to keep MSR in the hunt.

I think if Heinricher can keep the car in one piece and on the lead lap they will be all right. Looking at what few results there are it seems there is a decent chance of that being possible.

Anyways, hopefully whatever injury she has is minor as back injuries seem like hell to deal with even after they've "healed".

Back