2019 VW Jetta Spied

• Thread starter Turbo
  • 52 comments
100% Audi A4.
audi-a4-exterior-rear-view.jpg

2019-volkswagen-jetta-leak-03.jpg
To me, the general shape of the lights look more like the Hyundai Sonata.

2017-Hyundai-Sonata-Eco-rear-fascia-760x507.jpg

Upmarket R-Line trim brought to Detroit.

03-2019-vw-jetta-detroit-1.jpg

05-2019-vw-jetta-detroit-1.jpg

02-2019-vw-jetta-detroit-1.jpg

Better looking, but still not that appealing, especially since it's powered by that same 1.4L four-cyl that makes 148hp.

The 2019 Volkswagen Jetta seems to be the answer to the question "what can I buy that's german, turbocharged, expensive to maintain, and slower than a civic?"

Germany answered the question much better in 1983: It was called the Mercedes-Benz 300TD.

Source?

The last gen moved away from torsion beam midway through its life. VW would be pretty stupid to learn that lesson and then forget it.
https://www.autoblog.com/2018/01/14...etroit-naias-49856/?hcid=ab-around-ab-tile-28

Unmentioned in the release but apparent at a glance, a high-trim level prototype revealed an old friend: the torsion-beam rear suspension, which was excised from the previous generation in response to critical feedback about the car's level of sophistication. As I said in our previous review, torsion beams are very attractive from a cost and packaging perspective, and the Jetta's trunk is cavernous. VW North American engineering chief Matthias Erb told us, in a characteristic moment of frankness, that VW's reliance on turbocharged engines means it's at a bit of a disadvantage in terms of per-unit cost. Saving some money in an area that a typical commuter almost certainly won't notice isn't a terrible idea. Honestly. If this ends up on a future GLI, though, I reserve the right to complain.

Poor excuse since damn near everyone is moving to turbocharging.

Ah, well good thing the Jetta is low on my list of cars to buy. If the GTI (the only VW on my radar) ever got Torsion beam, however, then I'll get my torch.
I'd bet the GTi is pretty safe. What's funny is that the next Sentra will have multi-link rear because of the Golf.

The 2019 Volkswagen Jetta seems to be the answer to the question "what can I buy that's german, turbocharged, expensive to maintain, and slower than a civic?".

:lol:

Actually, there's a reason why VAG is stuffed to the gills with cash. They either make hyper-expensive overpriced cars, or ultra cheap lease mules. This car is evidence of the latter. It answers the question, "What new car can I get with a <$150 monthly payment?" The Jetta is always that car that girls drive for 2 years on their lease term without any maintenance whatsoever.

It’s still a shame that VW is ditching the multilink rear suspension to save cash on the price of the car. Sure, they’re looking to undercut the Civic and the like, but if you’ve got a good car - you’ve got a good car. Honda gets away with it because they have arguably the best car in the segment. They could easily do the same at VW, the premium features with the interior go a long way to make it a better car. I do wonder that, since its on the MQB platform, if VW will cave again in a few years and give us the multilink we actually deserve.

A new GLX seems super appropriate these days. A premium Jetta to go alongside the Arteon would be a smart choice, particularly if its running the 4MOTION system underneath. Shame that they wouldn't bring back a VR6 model, but then again, the 2.0T is plenty of gusto to get things done.

I'm sure a set of basket weave BBS will be cheaper than the factory VW wheels. :yuck: Needs more flavor to say it's a GLI.

To top it all off, here's a Jetta R render.

Now if this actually reaches production (which it almost definitely wont), my expectations for the Jetta would be met.

Back